Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4524707 - 06/09/20 07:25 PM Why should I buy this sim?  
FAA_fan Offline
FAA_fan  Offline

Why should I buy this? And I’m asking as a WOFF fan. I hate what IL had become. I don’t want anything to do with it anymore. But at the same time I can’t play a sim that only has 2 flyable planes (or so the website tells me) or one that only lasts for a few months. Why oh why should I get this for any reason other than campaign? There aren’t even many AI-only planes. I mean, even stock Il-2 fifteen years ago had dozens of them, how is this happening in 2020? Why can’t I start in 1940 and fly until 1945? In WOFF I started my last campaign in 1915 and ended it in 1918. A whole different level.

I love WoFF and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else, but this is just a joke. I spent a while waiting for it to get better, but it’s still so stale. What on earth can it do better than IL-2 SAS with 100s of planes and 3rd party mission generators?

Last edited by FAA_fan; 06/09/20 07:27 PM.
#4524717 - 06/09/20 08:22 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
77_Scout Online content
77_Scout  Online Content

Vancouver Island, Canada
WOFF started off with just two planes, an SE5 and an Albatross DII. That was a very long time ago, and see now what it has grown into, primarily because of the excellent campaign and lack of 'canned' missions. WOTR is relatively new, yes, but there are plans for expansion. It sounds like it is too early for you to jump in, so feel free to watch and wait.

#4524728 - 06/09/20 09:58 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Just also pointing out that it is also only $30 USD - so it is priced accordingly. Compare that to IL2 GBS series and the INCREDIBLY expensive DCS series and it suddenly isn't too bad at all for what you get. You are paying for an extremely robust and immersive SP dynamic campaign engine and very well done and sophisticated AI which models human behavior on top of it - and this is the title's strengths (but you should know that from your experience with WOFF). You decide if that is enough for you or not. smile

Last edited by Redwolf; 06/09/20 10:03 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4524735 - 06/09/20 10:44 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Also i believe that OBD are hoping to start back with WOTR after finishing the latest WOFF stuff this from POL "Once we are nearer the end of this WOFF dev cycle we will turn our attention for WOTR - we have some ideas . We do intend to keep both sims alive".

But FAA they need support, if no one buys into WOTR as it is now then why would OBD continue to support it? Their not going to pour their heart and soul into WOTR if it makes no financial sense to do so. IMO it's a steal at $30 (£29.99) i've had my moneys worth and then some (BTW there.s 3 flyables) the german campaign flying the 109,s is also there and the skins are great.. These guys are a primarily 2 man team ..unlike 1cs/777 they have a much much larger team, the cockpits amongst other things must take at least a dozen if not longer times to produce than the WOFF cockpits..original free OFF P2 came out in 2008 was it? so thats 12 yrs that OBD have had to "get under the hood" of their WW1 sim..Imagine with sales what they could achieve in the future regarding WOTR?

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4524739 - 06/09/20 11:12 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
FAA_fan Offline
FAA_fan  Offline

I’m happy to support WOTR but I’m primarily a two seater guy. From what I gather, the game as it currently stands, is all about Battle of Britain, and then just fighters. I rarely fly fighters in WOFF and overall am more comfortable in bombers/recon - I don’t mind spending an hour flying above enemy trenches, I wouldn’t mind spending three hours flying a Mosquito recon mission over Hamburg, or take part in a very long night bombing mission (but I doubt they can fit hundreds of bombers into one action) or an anti U-boat Coastal Command patrol. Fighters have little appeal to me, so this game is definitely not for me yet. I hate short campaigns as well - flying recon missions, my campaigns typically last at least a year or two (I’m a very cautious pilot and never take unnecessary risks). Stopping RAF campaign in the middle would feel like abandoning my squadron.

Also, the new IL-2 is awful, but 1946 is very much a thing, with a lot of planes and many types I love. It doesn’t have a dynamic campaign, but bomber/coastal campaigns aren’t there yet, so it’s a moot point. I can create complex, repeatable scenarios for myself using IL-2 editor anyway.

Last edited by FAA_fan; 06/09/20 11:15 PM.
#4524742 - 06/09/20 11:38 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Originally Posted by FAA_fan
I’m happy to support WOTR but I’m primarily a two seater guy. From what I gather, the game as it currently stands, is all about Battle of Britain, and then just fighters. I rarely fly fighters in WOFF and overall am more comfortable in bombers/recon - I don’t mind spending an hour flying above enemy trenches, I wouldn’t mind spending three hours flying a Mosquito recon mission over Hamburg, or take part in a very long night bombing mission (but I doubt they can fit hundreds of bombers into one action) or an anti U-boat Coastal Command patrol. Fighters have little appeal to me, so this game is definitely not for me yet. I hate short campaigns as well - flying recon missions, my campaigns typically last at least a year or two (I’m a very cautious pilot and never take unnecessary risks). Stopping RAF campaign in the middle would feel like abandoning my squadron.

Also, the new IL-2 is awful, but 1946 is very much a thing, with a lot of planes and many types I love. It doesn’t have a dynamic campaign, but bomber/coastal campaigns aren’t there yet, so it’s a moot point. I can create complex, repeatable scenarios for myself using IL-2 editor anyway.

Completely your choice.

(Re - other stuff: I don't think il2 GBS is awful at all (much improved) ...and Il2 1946 does have it's own dynamic campaign generator (though not that good, imho), but there is a third party one by Paul Lowengrin called DCG which is most excellent! -- and there are bomber and coastal campaigns -- at this very moment with my install I can fly B-25 (in Italy and Pacific) , B-17 (Pacific), A-20 (both Europe and Pacific) , etc, all in dynamic campagins - there are also hundreds of static campagins and other dynamic campaigns for RAF heavies and I believe coastal command as well. Go to https://www.sas1946.com/ and start looking around (and definately get the MASSIVE mod called BAT - hundreds of aircraft, a multitude of maps, thousands of updates -- and campaigns galore that utilize it)

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4524765 - 06/10/20 03:24 AM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
It sounds like you are just really comfortable and really like the WWI crates, and that is ok because you have a superb offering from OBD in WOFF UE/PE. Here is why you would spend 30$ and buy WOTR.

To Support OBD Period, End Of Story!

Even if you buy it and never install it, this is the one way you can support OBD with a spot of money right now(since there is nothing else for you to buy from them right now) and make it much more likely that they will continue to develop WOFF UE/PE at the least, but hopefully WOTR also. Someone said this long ago on the IL2 GBS Forums,"there is something about WOTR that I like, it has soul!" Besides the Campaign, which is quite immersive and fun, the AI, which isn't perfect, but is still one of the best in any Combat Flight Sim to date. If you like the BOB then you can get at least 3 months worth of fun out of this sim. One month for each Campaign at 10$ per month. That is cheap my friend. I own WOFF UE and now PE and I rarely ever fly it. I know it is excellent but my thing is more inline with the WWII Kites, but I can support OBD by purchasing all of their products in the hope that they will still be motivated, both monetarily and inspirationally , to continue with both sims. Buy it, try it, if you like it great, if you don't then shelf it but know you helped OBD along and said thank you for what they do. NUFF SAID! well,...not quite...

I disagree about IL2 TGBS. It has come a long ways from the original BOS offering and SLOWLY, but surely, they are improving it more & more with each update. If they would ever just focus on the AI(Jason, hire OBD to finally fix IL2's AI) and fix a few critical things, no more Terminator AI, no following the player back to their base when it means suicide for AI and teach AI when severely damaged to try to run. There are many other things their AI needs to have reworked but these 3 things would make SP MUCH more fun and realistic.

Well, hope you jump onboard! And Remember... yep

[Linked Image]

S!Blade<><

EDIT: Also so that Pol doesn't have to resort to this to keep OBD afloat! winkngrin exitstageleft
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 06/10/20 03:36 AM.
#4524811 - 06/10/20 03:44 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

There are 3 flyables, just install the latest patch and voilà you have a high quality Spitfire MKIa in addition to the Bf109 E4 and Hurricane MKI too. The aircraft in most cases are far more detailed than WOFF in resolution, details, more complex damage systems and so and take quite some time to make. There's only 2 of us working full time so yes things take time and we cannot afford to hire dozens of people as other sims do, but considering all things we believe it's one of the most immersive sims out there. In the latest updates we put a TON of new free stuff (including the free Spitfire) new features, and really dramatically improved WOTR with a much more involved BoB experience, with things like calling tower for a vector and many others. Ultimately we want WOTR to expand and end up "Over The Reich" in late war but to get there yes we do need more support.

The great AI had quite a lot of changes and improvements since WOFF (some of which made their way back to WOFF), a completely unique dynamic campaign and plenty of sim customization options in the menu settings.

If you want to fly only 2 seaters then of course currently you can't, so perhaps it's not for you. In all these discussions people on the fence also seem to very often ignore the cost as pointed out above. It's just $29.99 which is a small amount for a combat flight simulator, with excellent aircraft plus the other stuff.

WOFF has built over many years and been upgraded along the way a few times - it's also an even more ludicrously low price considering the content in there alone, 80 flyables is insane (I know as I am currently upgrading most of them) let alone all the other stuff in there.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4524894 - 06/10/20 10:03 PM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Well what's widely regarded as one of the best sims of all time had one flyable - Falcon 4's F-16, admittedly modelled in some depth. And one (relatively short?) campaign. Nobody called that a joke. On the contrary, modded and with a few more flyables, it's still going strong, twenty years later. Because it did what it did, so well.

I would venture to say something similar about WotR. It's not the first sim built around the Battle of Britain, which may be short but is intense, historically important and of great interest to many, including myself.

Of course the WotR campaign is tied to the actual progression of the Battle, not dynamic in the sense of Falcon 4's fictional campaign, but for many, that will be what they want, not a limitation. The interest lies in your squadron and the survival of your pilot and your virtual squadron mates.

A few more flyables would be nice, especially if like me you are a 'survey sim' person rather than a 'study sim' one, regarding European Air War as the gold standard there. But while also a fan of IL-2 '46 with installs for both DBW and CUP, I find the huge number of planes and maps only so much of an advantage, as most of them I don't especially want to fly in or over.

If you want to fly an immersive Battle of Britain fighter pilot campagn with all the trimmings and then some (like combat reports/claim forms, as well as squadron rosters, a log book, medals etc), WotR is now a great choice. If you want something different, it probably isn't.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4524945 - 06/11/20 10:45 AM Re: Why should I buy this sim? [Re: FAA_fan]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
As the OP already has WoFF, he already knows the standard that the devs produce, so that should go a long way already to induce him to buy it.
Having said that, he's already stated that he hates BoX, plus he can't play a sim with just a couple of flyables, so that kind of leaves him with not much choice.
I'd say, for just a few dollars he hasn't got much to loose by trying WoTR out.
And yes, IL2 SAS and other mods can give you a ton of aircraft, and if quantity is all you are after then perhaps this sim isn't for him, but I'd still urge him to give it a go!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.