Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4521815 - 05/21/20 08:36 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm also going to add our daily morning stretching/exercise startup song

What would be the most cliche' song to use for that? Maybe "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor? biggrin

I think in this case you need a song ["The Camera Eye"] that starts off slowly as your body is waking and warming up, and then kicks you into gear! But I do have "Eye of the Tiger" and a few more Rocky-related songs and themes as part of my cardio playlist. smile

EDIT: I finally looked..."Forever Young" by Alphaville was in Napoleon Dynamite (prom scene).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4521818 - 05/21/20 08:55 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Time to drag this thread down to a new low...

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4521819 - 05/21/20 08:57 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
And then slightly revive it...

Last edited by Chucky; 05/21/20 09:05 PM.

#4521820 - 05/21/20 09:02 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ [Both videos] Before cocaine was replaced by high fructose corn syrup. biggrin

EDIT: The second video, from space travel to some awesome Russian dude! thumbsup

Last edited by MarkG; 05/21/20 09:51 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4521886 - 05/22/20 10:47 AM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky

Sara Brightman was a beautiful woman in her youth though. Quite stunning in my opinion.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4521887 - 05/22/20 10:51 AM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
She was indeed Panzer. She started her career as a member of Hot Gossip,which I didn't realise until about 60 seconds ago!

#4521983 - 05/22/20 06:37 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<Thread cleaned up with new listing on first post, will review all songs again later and likely add more. >

Originally Posted by Chucky

To the contrary, you've added some much needed funkiness to my playlist! cheers

++++++++++

Added album version (this one is a kickass late-Cliff Burton playing lead guitar on bass version)...

Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live) [Cliff 'Em All]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdlQyNe_9tE

BTW, that video was recorded live on August 31, 1985, my 18th birthday!

The sun is in the east
#4522010 - 05/22/20 10:19 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Holy crap, I forgot I had purchased this 80's Russian Rock (after filtering "Russian" in iTunes)...
Russian rock legends, Vol. 4

A couple of tunes (also includes some real Metal headbangers that I can't find on YT)...

Воля и Разум (Ария)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-seWfVk7Cc

Черный Кофе - Леди Осень...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC3d3mSGexc

The sun is in the east
#4522237 - 05/24/20 09:32 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
While rummaging through my flight sim archives today, I came upon a reference to my original Cold War music thread that died in a SimHQ server crash a few years back. Many of the songs I posted myself in this thread were originally posted by others, which is how they became known to me and I appreciate it.

On that original thread, I apparently posted this pic from February of 1985...

[Linked Image]

I'm #2 on the second row (needing a haircut), wife is #5 on the first row, and my mom was a chaperone (really a spy in cahoots with my future mother-in-law), #6 from right on the second row.

Had the Russkies pushed the button that day, obviously we would have been vaporized in the middle of DC. And WWIII was a real possibility that could have begun from a misunderstanding or test gone bad, as depicted in the excellent true-life documentary released later that year called "Spies Like Us". But I don't think we would have survived at home either, in Baton Rouge, LA...

[Linked Image]

It's all been forgotten, but you have to wonder what Ivan's been up to lately with those Typhoon missile tubes...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

Paul McCartney - Spies Like Us 1985...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht0XM4Z9CXs

Attached Files DC_1985.jpgnuke-targets.pngTyphoons.png

The sun is in the east
#4522520 - 05/27/20 12:48 AM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
So after several play-throughs, I've come to the following conclusions (with updated playlist):

1. Boney M is cool but doesn't stand the test of time, nor do a few game MIDIs that I was using for inspiration.

2. It'd be a crime not to include some Top Gun, especially knowing now that Maverick's opponents could have actually been Russian (we'll never know).

3. TK's music in SF:P1 is timeless, even more so than Flanker 2 and Jane's F/A-18 (although I love the latter's gloomier vibes).

The sun is in the east
#4522555 - 05/27/20 11:03 AM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's hard for me to grasp that "Spies LIke Us" is now a 35 year old song. I still remember the movie and the music video very well.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/27/20 03:25 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522581 - 05/27/20 03:00 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
The best Cold War video with a Cold War vibe I've ever seen is some EF2000 footage mashed with the soundtrack to 'The Hunt for Red October'.
I'm pretty sure it was here on SimHQ, but don't remember exactly who did it.

#4522597 - 05/27/20 04:51 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: mikew]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by mikew
The best Cold War video with a Cold War vibe I've ever seen is some EF2000 footage mashed with the soundtrack to 'The Hunt for Red October'.
I'm pretty sure it was here on SimHQ, but don't remember exactly who did it.

That was me, and thanks. smile

I remember that being my first MP3 purchase off Amazon, just for making that video (also listed in my above playlist). I still have the video, along with everything else I've ever posted on SimHQ (and well organized), but I no longer have web hosting and I've never bothered creating a YouTube account. Uploading, especially with services like Dropbox, were always a pain with satellite internet, although my HughesNet has been upgraded since the last time I tired. I'm going to look into getting my own web server again as FTP uploads were always very easy and all I had to do was provide a simple direct link.

The sun is in the east
#4523598 - 06/03/20 09:33 AM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
Did I miss it or did nobody mention David Bowie's Heroes?

The Hooters - Satellite (well at least it is space themed but it throws me back to summer holidays in Germany and this was playing on AFN :-))

Last edited by Johan217; 06/03/20 09:38 AM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4523760 - 06/04/20 12:24 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: Johan217]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Johan217
Did I miss it or did nobody mention David Bowie's Heroes?

Hell yeah...

David Bowie - Heroes (Live Aid, 1985)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHC6t13hi0

The Hooters - Satellite (well at least it is space themed but it throws me back to summer holidays in Germany and this was playing on AFN :-))

The Hooters - Satellite (Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVXjBMK3EkI

Lol biggrin. So culturally 80's, I gotta get this one (only other Hooters I have is "And We Danced").

The sun is in the east
#4523762 - 06/04/20 12:33 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I remember a lot of bands from the 80's but I admit I have never heard of "The Hooters".

#4543950 - 11/07/20 10:01 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Back to this thread because I have to snap out of 2020 (mind spinning uncontrollably from virus, weather, politics, passing of Neil and Eddie) and mentally transport myself back to the mid-80's (MicroProse set the scenario dates). I exercise willpower over most aspects of my life today but lack advanced-study focus, and having access to an interactive world outside of my home is by far the biggest culprit (I loath watching television except for occasional news).

Shortly after sending this post I'm turning over my laptop (currently my only portal to the internet) and I'm not returning until I'm finished with what I've started (remember my study schedule? I'm ~75% complete, but stalled). And that's not a motivational/accountablity promise just to SimHQ but far more personal to my better-educated half. So for you smarty-pants who understand higher math (somewhere between HS trigonometry and differential equations), advanced programming, and/or who can read and speak Russian, I challenge you to challenge me on these subjects upon my return. smile

I have no doubt that my upcoming 'retro flight sim in development' thread is going to be the most satisfying and enjoyable thread I'll ever start and participate on in this forum. Holy crap this is going to be so much fun! biggrin

Attached Files 71278-050-D8AC354E.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4553810 - 01/27/21 02:16 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ It's time. I'm starting on my website this morning while looking over hosting options (I haven't had a website in years).

Where mid-80's Cold War scenarios will come to life using mid-90's technology (actually Y2K tech simulating mid-90's tech...but supporting Win10 and possibly Linux under Wine).

I wanted to be further along with my studies but I'm busting at the seams (no longer at the waistline smile ) to start showing what I've learned.

Stay tuned...

АРИЯ "Воля и разум" (видеоклип 1987 года!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXHcbP-q--8

The sun is in the east
#4553872 - 01/27/21 08:48 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Man, this is going to be a major project on its own (forgot how complex website design can be)! I *might* have to upgrade my FrontPage 2000. smile

The idea is to stop using SimHQ so much as social media and to keep most personal stuff on my own website (including upcoming vacations to Dayton AF Museum and Moscow/St Petersburg). Even some stuff on this thread would be better placed on a personal history section of my site (static with no discussion/interaction). Not that I'll no longer post music videos (for example) and the occasional food pic, just leaving off the repetitious backstories and such. I want to get back to using SimHQ for the reason I came here in the first place, to discuss classic flight sims, which I'm playing more than ever (and even developing).

The sun is in the east
#4588226 - 12/31/21 07:00 PM Re: Cold War & Space tunes, preferably 80's but doesn't have to be [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Some old cringe above but I'm not deleting anything as a reminder of past failure...now enjoying success with adequate motivation and self-discipline.

It'll all come together in 2022. yep

The sun is in the east
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.