Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4523483 - 06/02/20 08:21 AM Steel Armor Blaze of War Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

In this tutorial I will show everything in detail from start to end of the simplest possible Quick Battle between 1 red vs 1 blue platoon. These instructions pertain to the M60A1, some aspects maybe tank specific and not work in other tanks. The rangefinder is unique to this tank.

• Set Quick Battle Options, selecting training area, enemy tanks are targets and dont shoot back.
  • Select start area
  • Deploy platoon
  • Initial Orders, clicking the flaming icon will end orders and start real time battle.
  • Tactical Mode
  • After Battle Assessment

Setting Battle Options, Clicking the + and - Buttons to change the options.
The downward point arrow will toggle between Setting Battle Options and Select start area.
[Linked Image]

Selecting the start area is limited to a 4 x 4 square area (i have outlined in red)
By clicking in that area, a fire icon will appear, and 3 x 3 area high lighted if possible, clicking on the edge of the 4x4 area will limit the size of the area where you will able to deploy yours and the enemies forces.
In the image below I initially clicked where the fire icon is, but a 3x3 area could not be selected there so, I selected again with the white reticle to select an area that could support a 3x3 deployment area.
The downward arrow with the dot below it, allows me to reselect the area I want to choose.
The red flag selected at the bottom, will show my available platoons to be deployed, there are 6 to choose from. In order to make this as simple as possible I will deploy only one platoon.

[Linked Image]

After reselecting, notice now blue flag selected, but nothing deployed yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Deploy red platoon, right clicking on map puts large red symbol, I presume that this sets the square as belong to red
I selected one of the platoons on the left (with red flag selected), and clicked on one of the dots in my area to place it there.
[Linked Image]

Then click on blue flag at bottom to deploy blue tank.
Right clicking an used area on the map with the blue flag selected will mark an area as blues, then
Click the blue tank platoon on the left then place it on the blue area.

[Linked Image]

If any popup menu is display, must close it to continue, cant start will help displayed.
[Linked Image]

Below the 1:1 I presume to be the ratio of red vs blue
[Linked Image]

After clicking on the FIRE icon, you enter deployment mode.
The large red and blue areas are from the briefing which can be toggled off with the check button in lower left.
The four diamonds represent the four tanks in your platoon.
The green diamond indicated that's where the commanders tank.
The arrow indicates the direction the tank is pointing
There are no selected tanks at this time (no orange tanks indicating they have been selected)
The bottom middle has four diamonds representing the 4 tanks in you platoon, the tank below them is your platoon, we only added one platoon in this example, Clicking on these icons will quick select that unit.

[Linked Image]

Terrain types
Red outline impossible to deploy vehicles.
Green both infantry and Vehicles can deploy here.
Green dashed - cant dig in!
Inner box in the square indicates the amount of concealment, ranges from green (good) to (red open no concealment)

Three selected units (orange) all facing the same way.
[Linked Image]

Image below shows one selected unit pointed down but want to point to the right,
Click the rotate button, highlighted in green in bottom right, then right click and drag (the selected unit) in the direction you want them to point.
To move a unit first select it, then right click where you want it to go.
Movement is limited to the little green or red square, if playing red cant move to blue area at this time.

The bottom (single) row of icons provide information or allow changes to the currently selected unit.

[Linked Image]

The image below shows the icons as diamonds but pointing the way they are facing.
This is one of 3 modes that can be toggled using the highlighted button with 3 dots on it in the bottom left.
Mode:
  • Vertical diamond
  • Directional diamond
  • Dot

I dont understand the significance of these markers yet.

[Linked Image]

Platoon manipulation:
The icons in the bottom right, with red border can be applied to 1 or more selected units.
Functionality includes:
  • moving selected units
  • rotating selected units
  • moving selected units to high ground
  • moving selected units to depressions or low ground
  • moving selected unit to cover
  • take up defensive positions

[Linked Image]

The icons with the pink border are used by selecting one unit then selecting one of those buttons and all the others will move into position.
The other icons in red, can also be used for individual units or multiple units.
[Linked Image]

Click the clock icon or press the Enter key to enter Initial Orders phase.
Continued on next post!

A work in progress! Will require multiple edits ;-)

Attached Files select start area.jpgsettings.JPGselect area not all 9.JPGbattle area.JPGPlatoons.JPGselect red platoon.JPGselect blue platoon.JPGCant start.JPGratio.jpgdeploy1.JPGdashed border.JPGdeploy move rotate.jpgdeploy directional marker.JPGdeploy diamond marker.JPGManipulate platoon.JPG
Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 06/05/20 10:37 AM. Reason: work in progress
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4523486 - 06/02/20 09:04 AM Re: Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Thanks for doing this. I love these games but the UI is an exercise in frustration.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4523499 - 06/02/20 11:42 AM Re: Steel Armor Blaze of War Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step Tutorial [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Continued from above,

Initial Orders:

Enter Initial Orders: by either clicking on the clock icon or pressing the Enter key.
Entering initial orders adds some additional icons to indicate how the units will travel and their distribution (spread out, clustered together, in columns etc.

Green highlighted buttons mean they active, if the have a small check mark means they are implemented and effect how the unit behaves, to stop or uncheck the button click on it again, may require more than one click.

In the image below the set fire icon is highlighted, by right clicking and dragging you can select an area to fire upon.

[Linked Image]

The is now a check mark on the icon, to change the direction or size click on the button again to clear the check mark.
The other icons in the above picture work the same way, select the unit and then right click where it is to have the effect.
[Linked Image]

Using the Attack Selected Area button, and right clicking where to attack.
[Linked Image]

Other user options when you have a unit selected and then right click.
Selecting all unit then clicking the show orders button in bottom right will show where each selected tank is going. Only 1 order can be given to a tank and they wont start that oder until the fire icon is clicked and tactical mode has started.
[Linked Image]

Tactical map, in what I believe to be showing small green lightning bolts showing the connection of members of the same platoon (maybe them talking on radio), not so important here since only one platoon, but in big battle with many platoons its nice to know which ones are in the same platoon, without having to click on them all.
[Linked Image]

After clicking Pause you will be here! The Commander looking at his Periscope, click the periscope to look through it!
[Linked Image]

Looking at the periscope click on it to look through
[img]https://SimHQ.com/forum/files/25167.jpg [/img]

Looking through the periscope
[Linked Image]

Zoom In press Backspace Key
[Linked Image]

So I'm looking out the periscope, who am I?
[Linked Image]

From the icon below, confirming its the commander (highlighted in green using the site.
[Linked Image]

Commander using the M85 AAMG sight
[Linked Image]

Roles of the various positions:

• Gunner- can fire the gun, determine range to target, issue load command, issue short stop command (shoot and run)
  • Commander-determine range to target, control and shoot the both guns with correct sight and fire mode selected. see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVUsksky6vc
  • Loader-loads may shoot machine gun depending on tank
  • Driver drives

Use the arrow keys to move turret quickly

Attached Files Manipulate platoon2.JPGInitial Orders set fire sector2.jpgfire selector cancel.JPGInitial Orders attack selected area.JPGInitial Orders right click options.JPGInitial Orders tactical view map unit selected.JPGInitial Orders pause.JPGInitial Orders tactical.JPGM85.JPGInitial Orders tactical backspace zoom.JPGwhoamI.JPGwhoamI2.JPG
Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 06/05/20 10:40 AM.
#4523513 - 06/02/20 01:02 PM Re: Steel Armor Blaze of War Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step Tutorial [Re: Chucky]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Originally Posted by Chucky
Thanks for doing this. I love these games but the UI is an exercise in frustration.

Good to see someone getting something out of it! :-)

#4523874 - 06/05/20 01:51 AM Re: Steel Armor Blaze of War Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Corrections:
In the M60A1 the commander can shoot the gun in one fire mode with the correct sight selected. Aim with mouse, left click to fire.

See video

Last edited by Slippery_Rat; 06/05/20 01:58 AM.
#4523922 - 06/05/20 10:27 AM Re: Steel Armor Blaze of War Simplest Quick Battle Step by Step [Re: Slippery_Rat]  
Slippery_Rat Offline
Slippery_Rat  Offline

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.