#4522862 - 05/29/20 12:02 AM [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
[F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files
==========

This will be the first of at least a couple of threads regarding MicroProse's Fleet Defender flight sim. This thread will detail how to get a streamlined game with the included relevant training media on the side.

++++++++++

I paid $3.00 for my game at gog.com...
https://www.gog.com/game/fleet_defender_the_f14_tomcat_simulation

I did not use GOG's Galaxy client (whatever that is), instead I simply downloaded the game's Setup (a single all-encompassing file) from the direct link they provide. I mainly play my games on a WinXP desktop that has never, nor will ever, have online capability, so GOG's DRM-free games work well for me. I'll also be testing on my new Win10 laptop.

The GOG Setup file is *huge* at almost 300MB as it contains some multimedia that was originally shipped on CD. Worse is that the final install is over 500MB, for a game that weighs in at around 17MB (still beefy for a VGA DOS game as this one has textures and digitized speech). Most of the extra size comes from the multimedia training material, including some very cool interactive pit stuff. But there's also plenty of bloat, including video advertisements (I never knew that MicroProse released a football game). EDIT: I'm also assuming a single main DOSBox install, not a separate DOSBox for each game.

We're going to clean that up to have a streamlined game, and with the relevant multimedia on the side. This is what I'm working on now, and I'll post instructions when I'm done.

Just a heads up, my GOG game had terrible engine sound until I configured my sound in the provided startup menu loader, and my Logitech Wingman didn't work properly until I swapped a setting in the DOSBox configuration file. We're going to cover all that on this thread, just know that your game will probably work fine once these issues are corrected (mine now runs perfectly, including all sounds and JS throttle).

++++++++++

Some good news and bad news, the bad news first...

The GOG install is a mess (the game files are installed in duplicate!). Also bad is that MicroProse, like everyone else at the time, was transitioning from DOS/FD to Windows/CD, so some Windows crap is included in the game folder for multimedia CD-ROM support. We want a pure DOS experience, which even includes uninstalling the GOG game when we're done with our pure-DOS copy.

The good news is that, unlike DID with EF2000, MicroProse never gave this DOS sim rudimentary (but mandatory) Windows support. Oh man, I'm so thankful they kept the game pure DOS! With continued DOSBox support, it should be playable for the foreseeable future (unlike the Windows version of EF2000).

But for now I need to finish testing, then provide a listing and some instructions on how to clean up your game, if you're interested in streamlining it. As a neat freak and potential future modder of the game, it's just something I have to do, and I'll get back to this thread when I'm done.

Just know that what you need is all there, and it's probably going to work just fine after configuration (and thankfully, unlike some previous MP sims, Fleet Defender remembers your JS calibration).

We're also going to learn what all the games files are and as much as possible, what they're used for.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522863 - 05/29/20 12:05 AM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A couple of cool Fleet Defender videos...

F-14 Fleet Defender 'Carrier Ops'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDWYutpktmw

F-14 Fleet Defender | Microprose 1994 (Roland Sound)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkXTe-Gy4JM

The sun is in the east
#4522915 - 05/29/20 02:40 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Upon further inspection, the GOG Fleet Defender bloat isn't as bad as I thought. But I still don't agree with it, and there's another *big* problem (more on this in a moment).

Still, a Setup file size comparison of some of my recent GOG purchases is interesting:

1942: PAW: ~28MB
Fleet Defender: ~300MB (includes CD multimedia that is not compatible with Win10)
F-19: ~360MB (??? - insane PDF sizes)

With FD, it looks to me like GOG provides the full contents of the Gold CD, but after already having installed the game from what looks like a Win3.1 installer. Thus you end up with two game folders which would be identical had GOG not scattered PDFs and other extras into the main install.

++++++++++

Here's the real problem, and it's a big one...

GOG didn't include a link to the front loader (start screen) for the multimedia content! Why? Because, as far as I can tell, it's not supported under Win10! It works perfectly for me in WinXP, but doesn't work in Win10 no matter what I try.

The multimedia executables are:

...\GOG Games\Fleet Defender Gold\CD\MMINTRO.EXE

...or...

...\GOG Games\Fleet Defender Gold\CD\MAINMENU.EXE (if you want to skip the cool MicroProse intro).

But I can't get these files to run in Win10, only WinXP (I don't know about Win7+). Even the individual AVI's won't play properly in Win10, sound only.

So all the CD material that gets installed to your hard drive (almost 500MB) does you no good in Win10! And this, gentlemen, is why I love software that is pure DOS!!!

But we're going to fix all of that later if possible with some workarounds and maybe even a new multimedia front loader if necessary. The material is all there, we just have to make it work in Win10 (but at least the game itself, being pure DOS, seems to work perfectly).

The sun is in the east
#4523000 - 05/29/20 09:27 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<One last update before I put this away for a day or two.>

Another example why DOS is so important with these games...

The Fleet Defender sound configuration file is CONFIG.SND. There are two ways to configure this file for your system sound, from the DOS prompt using INSTALL.EXE (which the GOG/DOSBox loader screen uses...as found in "dosbox_f14_single.conf"), and with a nifty little Windows program called Winsound.exe. Except that Winsound isn't so nifty in Win10, so you have to use the DOS version.

++++++++++

I'll be posting some smaller miscellaneous desktop pics in my upcoming posts, but I'll start with a full screen of some Tomcat goodness...

[Linked Image]

Attached Files F14_DT.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4523173 - 05/30/20 10:44 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What I've learned today is that there's nothing I've posted so far (nor likely will post in the future) that's not already known. smile But writing about it helps me to keep it straight in my head, and I don't think anyone will mind my ramblings in this obscure area of SimHQ.

Today my 450p. FD Strategy Guide shipped, so I'm pretty jazzed about that (should arrive next week).

So, why Fleet Defender? Because it checks off most of what I'm currently interested in:

- 80's Cold War vs. Soviet Union (although I plan to play all campaigns).
- Early-to-mid 90's game development (the later DOS years).
- The F-14 Tomcat (recent talk of "Top Gun: Maverick", plus I've been missing Carrier Ops as in Hornet Korea).
- Lots of good stuff to read, huge Manual (separate Manuals combined) and a thick Strategy Guide on the way.
- Polished game (relative to its age of course, but so far I'm very impressed).
- Wanting to conquer at least one flight sim in my lifetime, and one that's not overly complex (by today's sim standards) but still challenging.
- GOG finally came through with this and 1942:PAW (thanks again for the heads up, Elf)!

I figured GOG would have the final patched GOLD version, confirmed by the first line of the Thrustmaster configuration files (...\F14GOLD\THRUSTMS\*.ADV) which include a corrected REM (remark) statement...

"Final as of 02/04/94" changed to "REM Final as of 02/04/94"

...along with a few other slight differences I've noticed with the final version, like adding ...\PITS\ARM_INFO.PIT and QUIT.OLD (assuming replaced by new QUIT.PIT), but missing ...\MISSIONS\NEW.MSN, UFO.MSN. The initial Scramble mission (MISSION.F14?) is also different, the previous giving you and wingy lumbering bombers as target practice in a clear blue sky, to now dealing with lethal fighters over (and into) pretty pinkish clouds.

I believe Damson has posted the non-working (in Win10) multimedia videos on YouTube, so thanks for that. cheers I suspect I'm going to come upon a lot of cool stuff he's posted for this sim (some I vaguely remember).

Last edited by MarkG; 05/31/20 05:11 AM. Reason: ARM_INFO.PIT, not ARM_MISL.PIT

The sun is in the east
#4523214 - 05/31/20 02:59 AM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Showing a little bit of promise here for some future modding...

[Linked Image]

Not that you can do much with 320x200x256 (VGA Mode 13h) graphics, but at least plenty of the game files (like these PCX) are exposed for tinkering, if you're so inclined.

Attached Files DF_PCX.png

The sun is in the east
#4523281 - 05/31/20 04:37 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
MarkG,

I'm really hoping you feel the strat guide was worth the investment once you get it. There's lots of good info there, it's just that's a bit of a markup. If you haven't gone through it another resource might be the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim news group that you can now find under Google Groups. I think the group is pretty much dead now and the most recent posts look to be spam but you can use the search feature to try to local stuff. Sometimes looking for specific things can be more problematic but I think I looked for more general things around the time a game came out that would sometimes give me better luck. This is just the link to the group without any search parameters:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim

Elf

#4523286 - 05/31/20 05:02 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thanks, Scott. Yeah, those Strategy Guides are almost always padded with lots of fluff. smile

BTW, whoevers' idea it was to have an auto-trim cheat even with advanced FM, bless them. Also, about the auto-land feature (which can take multiple passes). I wouldn't use it normally, but to let the AI trap you under low visibility while sitting in the RIO's back seat is a real pucker inducer! biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4523313 - 05/31/20 08:20 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Great thread! Kept meaning to try this out...

Originally Posted by MarkG

The multimedia executables are:

...\GOG Games\Fleet Defender Gold\CD\MMINTRO.EXE

...or...

...\GOG Games\Fleet Defender Gold\CD\MAINMENU.EXE (if you want to skip the cool MicroProse intro).

But I can't get these files to run in Win10, only WinXP (I don't know about Win7+). Even the individual AVI's won't play properly in Win10, sound only.

So all the CD material that gets installed to your hard drive (almost 500MB) does you no good in Win10! And this, gentlemen, is why I love software that is pure DOS!!!

But we're going to fix all of that later if possible with some workarounds and maybe even a new multimedia front loader if necessary. The material is all there, we just have to make it work in Win10 (but at least the game itself, being pure DOS, seems to work perfectly).
Those are 16 bit Windows programs, which won't run on Windows 64 bit.
For me the videos play with VLC, but not whatever Windows 10 uses as default.

#4523338 - 05/31/20 11:14 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
That's good to know, mikew. thumbsup I know it's just some extra stuff that you don't normally keep going back to (I'm more of a reader than a watcher anyway), but it's still cool to have it.

The sun is in the east
#4523342 - 05/31/20 11:33 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: Scott Elson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Thinking back when I lurked on Usenet...

Papa Roach(?), Flanker fan...knew his stuff, but wanted only sterile FM perfection, no love for a story-line or DC. /Kurt Plummer/ typed even longer posts than I do, and I never figured out if the guy was smart or just crazy! Lol. I remember the occasional big name though, Martin Kenwright, Andy Bush and/or Hollis, even 'Wild Bill' showed up once, IIRC. Unmoderated and often outrageous (precursor to YouTube Comments?), but I did like the simple newsreader format (I used Outlook Express that came with Windows, IIRC).

The sun is in the east
#4523345 - 05/31/20 11:45 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One more thing...I know you've all seen this a million times, but it's just one example where I absolutely embrace 'current technology' like YouTube...

The Computer Chronicles - Flight Simulators (1990)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8VTZ2fyos

The sun is in the east
#4523427 - 06/01/20 07:22 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Well, that was fast, and I'm not even Prime or selecting any special shipping!

Scott, the Strategy Guide is about what I expected, my only disappointment being that I never could find it at a reasonable price. But that's how it goes sometimes, and I've been wanting this piece of flight sim history for a long time (I'm gonna catch up with you, Pretzel!).

Also, I'm as interested in game design as I am in game playing, so the detailed branching mission structure (for example) in the book is quite interesting. I'm going to enjoy reading it, and then using it.

++++++++++

I'm also on the lookout for this one...

SubWar 2050: The Official Strategy Guide (Prima's Secrets of the Game)

...if just for...

"Advanced programming technologies were used to create excitingly realistic terrain and smoothly flowing graphics. In this essential reference, the MicroProse mavens themselves provide crucial insights, strategies, secrets, and behind-the-scenes details for dedicated gamers."

The graphics in this 1993 title (also 320x200x256 VGA) are also pretty amazing to me. I have more appreciation for some of these vintage games today than I did just a few years after their release, having at least some knowledge now of what it took to develop them.

Attached Files FD_Strategy_Guide.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4523525 - 06/02/20 03:08 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Around 10 to 15 years ago, I bought a bunch of 'big box' 1990s flight sims from ebay and Amazon that I missed when they came out but were still somewhat available and Fleet Defender was one of them. The idea was that 'one day' I'd get around to actually get them working.

This thread has brought that day for Fleet Defender, but instead of digging out my USB floppy drive I just bought the game again from GOG.
I'm not sure what the Gold version offers apart from the Windows multimedia stuff that came with the CD version.
As mentioned earlier, the multimedia parts won't work in Win10 unless you are running the 32 bit version.

I have a bit more luck with Linux, where at least MMINTRO.EXE runs, although there was a problem installing the media player with default Wine settings so the videos don't play yet.

The main problem I've having though is with the 320x200 resolution while flying. With the defaults which is all I've tried so far, full screen is quite painful to look at, and windowed mode is far too small.
So, I look forward to seeing some good compromise settings. There may be some Dosbox settings or addons that can help with upscaling although I fear that the visuals will be too dated for me to appreciate the features of this sim.

#4523542 - 06/02/20 07:17 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I want to cover a few things with this post, and I'll keep it as short as possible. smile

++++++++++

I deleted my last post as it appears that Prima is still around, so whatever I do with my Strategy Guide will be on the down-low (if you're reading this damson, you'll be my first contact).

++++++++++

mikew, that's a tough one. I remember some years ago having a difficult time going back and forth between EF2000 (640x400) and FS2002/2004. It's easy for me now because I'm just getting back into flight sims after a long absence (with a few short-lived miss-starts), but now my interest is DOS. Standard VGA (320x200x256) is rough, but relative to what I'm used to now and studying as a hobby.

Occasionally on early mornings when my satellite internet runs best, I'll watch the latest YouTube flight sim videos (DCS or BMS). That Supercarrier stuff looks amazing, I'm sure even more so in real-time play. Heck, I use Chuck's DCS F-14 PDF Guide as a reference for Fleet Defender (and to see what the Tomcat pit actually looks like)! biggrin

But still, I like my old DOS games. They're super tiny and fast, with a good balance of complex realism and campy gameplay. I just can't go back and forth to newer titles, I have to stay in the DOS era to enjoy it.

++++++++++

BTW, it's fun to play through Commander Keen, Wolfenstein (Wolf3D) and DOOM while reading "Masters of Doom" (David Kushne), which details the rise and game development of Id Software (good, bad, drama). My old DOS (and early Windows) game development books are full of flight sim references, as flight sims were so popular at the time, making learning from them even more enjoyable and interesting.

DOS FOREVER!

The sun is in the east
#4523552 - 06/02/20 09:32 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ "DOS FOREVER!"

Wanted to clarify, "DOS PROGRAMS FOREVER!", as long as they're running in DOSBox (or similar emulator) under your favorite current OS. Nobody wants to deal with constantly tweaking their AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS boot-up files again, or lack of real multitasking!

The only issue I have with DOSBox is that, if you're running Windowed and use Windows to copy a file into your DOSBox C-drive hierarchy, DOSBox can't see the file until you exit and restart. But DOSBox exits and restarts almost instantaneously (after first run) so it's not much of an issue.

The sun is in the east
#4523680 - 06/03/20 08:43 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
Yes, with Dosbox,we're in the golden age of DOS simming. smile
Desktop to flying in generally less than 10 seconds.

A contrast to the mid 1990s where you'd spend hours trying to configure DOS to get a new game working, then realizing you needed to upgrade to a Pentium II and add some more RAM.
After which was another round of configuring before the joyous moment when the game started up.
Still quicker than waiting for DCS World or IL2 to start up though. smile

Unfortunately, Fleet Defender came out just before the 3dfx era, so we're stuck with the 320x200 frame buffer and all we can do is stretch what's already there. frown

#4524608 - 06/09/20 11:10 AM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Today I finish my study of ASM (early-90's material using memory segment and offset registers), from now on it'll be mostly C and then C++ (studying my game dev books in chronological order). I look forward to possibly figuring out how DID managed to get 640x400x256 out of EF2000, even the pure-DOS non-3dfx versions! I'm just not coming across a connection yet, so far only 320x200x256 (Mode13h). Was 640x400 (or x480) simply a new DOS accessible graphics mode introduced with SVGA cards?. Seems like by that point everyone was going Windows, but still we have DOS EF2000 (and maybe a few others?) with SVGA (and even 3D-accelerated) graphics! I assume it'll be discussed later and I'll post what I find.

The sun is in the east
#4524675 - 06/09/20 05:15 PM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
ataribaby Offline
ataribaby  Offline

Liberec, Czech Republic
I remember back then there was tool called like 3DZ studio and it was essentially 3D model editor for MPS model format that was used in F-14/ I remember all models was mirrored so only half of texture was there and other half of model had mirrored texture mapping.

Also I remember few differences from 1.0 ( or 1.2 as well?) and final v2.0 - when you start on ground in 2.0 master arm was armed and radar emitting. in 1.0 and 1.2 radar was on standby and master arm safe. Also v1.2 and v2.0 made F-14 FM too sluggish to manuever in dogfight. v1.0 was pretty nice agile but doesn't work on fast PCs. It was fixed in 1.2 and 2.0.

#4526693 - 06/22/20 01:51 AM Re: [F-14] Fleet Defender #1: Game Files [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Tangentially related I just saw REELZ has a new "Behind Closed Doors" and this one is focused on the "Top Gun" movie. They're playing it again after the initial showing tonight and it looks like it's playing a few times next weekend.

https://www.reelz.com/behind-closed-doors/

Elf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.