Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4522848 - 05/28/20 09:28 PM Re: Would you purchase a flight sim... [Re: MarkG]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

The oldest 'real' flight sim I played (and still look at from time to time for nostalgia reasons) was cockpit only (plus a navigation map).
Free flight, practice interception, in-flight refuelling, practice dogfights, interception mission. All done with an analogue control input mapped from keyboard controls (twin throttles, rudder, elevators and ailerons, flaps, landing gear, airbrakes, drogue chute etc (or apparently a digital joystick, but I didn't own one back in 1988)). Had a nice 'gun camera' which auto recorded any tracking of a target within weapons parameters, or on pressing the camera key. G load limits (with varied with fuel load), stall - around a dozen recognisable aircraft as targets or support aircraft - Victor, Valiant, Vulcan, SR71, Backfire ~ Lightning, F4, F16, F104, Tornado, Mirage (III?), MiG 23. A dogfight AI which was fairly competent, but didn't obviously cheat or suffer unreasonable (not platform appropriate) performance penalties compared to the player aircraft (aside from unlimited fuel?)... which made stretching the low fuel supply a major part of any successful session. Afterburners chew through the fuel supply rapidly, and acceleration on unloading was brisk to the point of being a common problem resulting in controlled flight into terrain.

Lightning Simulator ~ and all for the low-low price of £1.99 on initial release on cassette.

I have vastly preferred to play from within the cockpit whenever look controls are sufficiently adequate (anything worse than a game from 1988 is fairly inexcusable though, even one as well coded as this was).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522881 - 05/29/20 03:05 AM Re: Would you purchase a flight sim... [Re: bolox]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by bolox
To just fly the sim, absolutely in pit only.

However to write/test SP missions/campaigns, external views/ability to jump to other aircraft is almost essential (particularly if you want to do anything more than a very basic mission.

There is also the skinners, screenshot artists, video makers to consider- and these can be an important part of a sims success.

These 'community' aspects can be very important to the life of a sim these days

Yep. Flying, pit only. Mission building, skinning, modding etc, externals are a must.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522896 - 05/29/20 08:07 AM Re: Would you purchase a flight sim... [Re: MarkG]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I guess I would smile (buy this imaginary flight sim). I use external most usually for marveling at whatever I'm flying, this is especially nice in DCS when there's a lot of sitting waiting to get somewhere and the models & rendering & lighting is so good. But I never do any actual "work" from external, that's always cockpit only, pretty much enforced in DCS by how lovely the cockpits are and all the functionality that's tied to them.

I guess this imaginary FS could have the feature that it is strictly 1st person, and allow you to walk around outside the plane on the pan & get the kicks that way? smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4522910 - 05/29/20 01:41 PM Re: Would you purchase a flight sim... [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Lots of things I hadn't thought of in these responses, thanks. beercheers

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.