Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4522738 - 05/28/20 11:49 AM Best band in a guitar?  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

I’m a huge fan of pure acoustic guitar playing, no fancy tricks, bells or whistles. I like to hear the whole band in one guitar, a feat difficult for most guitarists.

I’ve been a longtime fan of Naudo, if you haven’t checked him out, do it now. He has over 2000 songs in his repertoire, has no music reading ability, plays everything by ear, and has the most fascinating arrangements you’ll find in the world, and truly is a Master of the guitar. But now just discovered this mystery guitarist Guido Mancino. Not many videos up, but WOW.

First Naudo:

Bet you’ve never heard anyone do “Lady In Red” on guitar before, with all the bass and rhythm to boot:

And Mancino:

And one more:

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522740 - 05/28/20 11:58 AM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Besides loving me some Stevie Wonder, I could listen to this guy play all day, with much awe and envy.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4522741 - 05/28/20 12:00 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Of course daily practice does wonders for any skill but talent like these guys have CANNOT be taught. You can either call it "god given" or "natural talent" depending on your perspective.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/28/20 01:55 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522752 - 05/28/20 01:43 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Absolutely fantastic. You can close your eyes and hear 3 distinct parts being played on superstition at once!

#4522754 - 05/28/20 01:55 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Of course daily practice does wonders for any skill but talent like this guy has CANNOT be taught. You can either call it "god given" or "natural talent" depending on your perspective

Been playing for 50+ years and am in absolute awe of this guy. I play a little bass as well and can hardly cope with the bass line alone biggrin

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4522769 - 05/28/20 03:24 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Michael Hedges was famous for being an acoustic tour de force:

You may also like Chapman stick players:

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4522776 - 05/28/20 03:48 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
How does Naudo do all of that with one guitar?

How?

#4522805 - 05/28/20 05:23 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Michael Hedges was very musical, but tons of reverb and sustain (fancy tricks) goes outside the bounds of "acousticness". The guitar essentially becomes an electric. Playing with less sustain or none at all is vastly more difficult and requires you to keep the bass line, rhythm, and lead going.

Naudo uses some sustain but doesn't overdo it. He has several videos where he's at home with no plug in sound. He doesn't use it as crutch like so many others.

Difficult song to play on single guitar, with all the little vocal nuances that the Bee Gees put in this tune:

And:

And "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree"? Are you kidding me? The writer of this song even took the time to comment on Naudo's version, saying it was the most unique he had ever heard: Listen to this and what he does with it after the 1;20 mark.

Don't get me wrong there are tons of great players around, Pete Huttinger was great, Mike Dawes for the younger crowd, and of course Tommy Emmanuel.. I guess I look for the nuances and phrasing that are found in the original version, and how true a player can put those into the acoustic sound. To me, that's what separate the best from the great.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4522822 - 05/28/20 07:27 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Of course daily practice does wonders for any skill but talent like these guys have CANNOT be taught. You can either call it "god given" or "natural talent" depending on your perspective.

Quite true. I was a hardcore rollerblader for over 20 years, yet I met more than a few people who had FAR less experience who could do things I simply cannot...

#4522825 - 05/28/20 07:48 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Absolutely. I don't believe I could achieve that level if I'd practiced several hours a day, every day since I got my first guitar nearly fifty years ago. I've got a feel for music. I can pick up melodies and chords (not "Glen Campbell" chords) by listening to a song. But my fingers just ain't smart enough to do that kind of stuff.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4522847 - 05/28/20 09:25 PM Re: Best band in a guitar? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by TerribleTwo
Michael Hedges was very musical, but tons of reverb and sustain (fancy tricks) goes outside the bounds of "acousticness". The guitar essentially becomes an electric. Playing with less sustain or none at all is vastly more difficult and requires you to keep the bass line, rhythm, and lead going.

Naudo uses some sustain but doesn't overdo it. He has several videos where he's at home with no plug in sound. He doesn't use it as crutch like so many others. around,

Huh, well, I'm not exactly sure how you are defining acoustic then, since in every clip you have posted they are using pickups with reverb and even compression in at least most of them. The guy is doing a version of jazz chord melody and most people could get in the ballpark with practice. I could certainly work up something like that a lot faster than I could work up a Michael Hedges type performance.

I guess this guy would be right up your alley then...

And if you want no tricks and no crutches or whatever, here's the guy to beat:

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.