#4522531 - 05/27/20 04:17 AM A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
A Painted Ocean site

Command a Napoleonic-era man-of-war. Sail the oceans of the world.

*Featuring*

-Square-rig sailing physics
-The whole world to sail in, with a year of real winds and weather
-Frigate vs frigate battles

Your ship is HMS Alpha, a 38-gun 18-pounder frigate of around 2000 tons displacement, with a 150-foot hull and a crew of 300.

*This is a release of an unfinished project*

What is done is the simulation of the ship, the control system, the world, basic weather and combat. There are unlikely to be any major new features added, but see the devlog for plans for the future.

I stumbled upon this little game awhile back and just tried it out today. From what I've seen so far this is a cool little project. The game has its own exe so it doesn't install to the computer. It runs nice and I like the simplistic look and apparently it used physics too. I only tried the at port scenario to go through the tutorial and its pretty tough for me right now. Adding to the challenge yet very cool is the author's use of real sailing boat parts and terms. So going through the tutorial not knowing what is what, I waited to see the animation happen to know what is being spoken about. There is also a lot going on here with regards to the sailing simulation. My first and only attempt so far had me getting pushed back by the wind and hitting the land sideways. At first things were nice and slow so I could have time reading the tutorial but once things got going it got out of control quickly. I gave the helmsman a sailing order and eventually the ship cleared land and made it back into the middle of the bay only to get caught in a pocket of circumstances some how so that I just sat at an angle without forward movement. I eventually saw the rigging either snap or get blown by the wind and a few seconds later I listed to the side and eventually sank. I'm going to attempt to tinker around and figure this thing out because I imagine it will be quite satisfying once you get going and can more or less sail freely. Its modeling a bunch of different things too like wind and weather.

I haven't tried combat yet but you can Tab to each ship and fight yourself. I think if I can figure this little game out it could be quite therapudic but right now I don't think my crew trusts me lol. I love the detail and I think this might teach me some sailing terms and ideas but its pretty complicated right now. Maybe after some time with it I'll get better. ahoy

If anyone tries this, after starting the game through its .exe before the game launches, hold the shift button which brings up the options first so you can adjust your resolution. I also had a crash but only after I had sunk but the game alt tabs easily enough and can be shut down and restarted.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
Last edited by Coot; 05/27/20 04:18 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522552 - 05/27/20 10:34 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Play "Master & Commander" on your TV in the background while you play this game and your immersion is all taken care of!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522553 - 05/27/20 10:36 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And no offense to the developers but the game looks like it came out in 2000!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/27/20 10:36 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522563 - 05/27/20 12:48 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
And no offense to the developers but the game looks like it came out in 2000!

That is the best thing you can ever see in a simulator being developed by a small or one man team. It almost always means they're putting their full effort into the important things like wind modelling and physics rather than spending all their time and money on graphics tweaks and 3d engine licensing

#4522566 - 05/27/20 12:53 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow

That is the best thing you can ever see in a simulator being developed by a small or one man team. It almost always means they're putting their full effort into the important things like wind modelling and physics rather than spending all their time and money on graphics tweaks and 3d engine licensing

I agree that the level of accuracy and detail is the most important thing but there's a limit on how outdated the graphics can look. At least for me.

#4522568 - 05/27/20 01:02 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

If I get the damned thing to run, I'd still be playing AOS2.

#4522577 - 05/27/20 01:28 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Kell haul Coot! is probably what the crew is saying biggrin I'll be trying this out for sure.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522675 - 05/28/20 12:01 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I'll be giving this some more time but there may be mutiny and a loss of commission forthcoming for Captain Coot. I like the simplistic graphics fine as its cleanly done. Kind of reminds me of A-10 Cuba. It didn't have the best graphics but it really did have the best of everything else at the time because the polygons were done well, it ran with better fps, it was full of little details and it had physics which many other sims of the time didn't have.

Lieste, what is AOS2. Is that Privateer's Bounty? If so I bought that years ago at Target on the cheap but didn't spend much time with it. I've got City of Abandoned Ships Gentleman of Fortune installed and I'm trying to progress in that. I

I'd be curious how any of you fair in this. I hope I can make it out of the bay.

#4522717 - 05/28/20 07:42 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Getting out of irons is important. You have to get the head off the wind before you get too much sternway on. You need to keep the rudder 'up' into the wind to assist by a very little. Get sail on the foremast brace it up to Port, get the headsails ready then send them out as soon as you have some air - haul the headsails in and allow her to fall off the eye of the wind.
Brace up main and mizzen on the Starboard side, but keep the poles bare. Once you are getting close to having the main and mizzen yards aligned with the wind, drop canvas on the topsails across the board. As soon as the main and mizzen shiver and start to draw, trim out the square sails on main and fore and shiver the mizzen. Steer beam on to the wind, and then adjust sail to take out leeway and helm by trimming. Then if needed steer 1 point free of the wind or on the wind.

Harbour is relatively simple with the default wind, it can be harder with historical winds, according to date.

Once out of harbour, be wary of a shoal near the town. You need to pass further west in the deep water channel, before coming SSE to get past the Isle of Wight., or find the channel leading between the IOW and the Hampshire shoreline going W if the weather is being difficult. Though there are shoals here too, and I haven't found the proper route - much easier to get out south.

Tacking is easy enough with the rig intact, but it isn't possible to tack with most of the more common battle damage. Tabbing between several ships allows you to give general sailing orders and gunnery allocations to several ships (on both sides), and then to attempt to engage a basically uncooperative (if not continually adaptive) "opponent". Tacking under fire is ... not as easy and has to be done at a suitable distance and position or you will be punished as you attempt to turn. Being dismasted isn't a deadful fate - getting into a safe position and staying there is hard for a manouvreing ship, and you can easily miss stays and have to wear around if you lose a critical sail during or before an evolution.

(AOS2 is the "original" Age of Sail 2. (It was later updated to Privateer's Bounty, but I never owned that title).)

#4522721 - 05/28/20 08:50 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Arrrrr but 'ave 'eard tell that ye 'ave woman's 'ands Lieste!

#4522728 - 05/28/20 10:42 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Try with 'historical weather' advancing to Mar 6th 5.55am. A fresh breeze from the W. Everything happens a bit faster because of the higher wind speed, but nothing too strong that causes canvas to fly away. (4th and 5th are a wash, as the wind is from the SE, and you can't make way, don't try to get out on these days, skip ahead to the 6th directly). (My program defaults to Mar 4th when I set historical weather).

I cleared the harbour entrance at 6.5 kts, with nearly neutral helm on a beam course (2 pts from the wind).

Braces trimmed:
Foretop and ForeT'gallant sails.
Maintop and Main T'gallant sails.
Reefed Mizzentop and Reefed Mizzen T'gallant sails.

Headsails trimmed:
Headsails - Foretopmast Staysail, Jib.

Staysails eased:
Mizzen staysail.

#4522729 - 05/28/20 10:45 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In my personal experience, the absolute most immersive and best implemented "Age of Sail" naval warfare I've ever played has been with Total War: Napoleon.

#4523192 - 05/31/20 12:32 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Wow Lieste, I'm definitely one of those that needs to learn by watching others especially as I don't know most of those terms and ship parts. Thanks for the info though.

#4523585 - 06/03/20 04:57 AM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

The jargon is helpful, as it is used directly in the giving of orders. Some change contextually (such as steer to port, steer to starboard, which are also referred to as 'bear up', 'come to') These are 'continuous turns', or a turn of a fixed angle or to a fixed heading. 'Steer to' is related to the wind, and I tend to use it slightly more often, except when tacking.

Using the default weather, you have the helm already set to come to (that is steer to starboard to bring the head around to the north if sailing ahead - but you will be making sternway, which will instead send the tail north...) Steering clockwise either way.

You have bare poles, and have just weighed anchor.

I first set the sail - topsail, foremast, set, then brace the foremast to port. (Left/port side of yard is forward on the fore mast).
Next, and as soon as the wind is discernably on the starboard side as sternway and the helm brings the stern around, and wind on the backed fore topsail pushes the head around... I set headsails, set, then use the sheets to haul in the headsails.

The head should fall off the wind quite quickly as the sternway builds up, and after it has increased by 30-40 degrees off the eye of the wind, I set sail - topsail, main and mizzen set, immediately bracing mizzen and main up on starboard.

As soon as the main sail begins to shiver, I trim the fore and main mast sails, shiver the mizzen sails, trim the headsails, and watch the sternway as it begins to reduce. Once there is no sternway I steer with the wind on the quarter, looking to get the leeway off as quickly as possible, coming to a wind on the beam course once the speed has increased enough for the direction of travel to be aligned more or less with the centreline of the hull.

I will then set a reef in sails on the foremast or mizzen as needed to balance the trim of the ship, so the 'marked' spoke of the wheel is 'dead ahead' or within a half point of the 'dead ahead' point when the ship is on a course. Setting more or fewer headsails and/or the spanker and easing, or trimming these fore and aft sails can also be used to trim the sail.

You can add t'gallants in between the topsails, or once you have completed the evolutions. I had just over 8kts on clearing the harbour entrance with the March 6th start, and near to 7.25 kts on a default start.

Tacking is far easier and faster if you fall off the wind a point or two, and trim for speed, before coming up into the wind with minimal sail (though some on the mizzen and the spanker can aid the initial turn). As the head comes close to the wind, back the mizzen, ease the spanker. Set sail on main and foremast, back the main. Once the head is through the wind, set the headsails and haul in the headsail sheets. Once the main shivers, trim main and foresail, trim headsails, shiver the mizzen. Get the head down off the wind a few points beyond the beam if needed to get leeway under control, but a brisk wind will allow headway to be maintained through the turn. I still prefer to come to the beam before close hauling, as it allows the speed to increase more rapidly.

It is however possible to tack, even from 'dead slow' if you are prepared to lose distance upwind, bare poles at the head, backed sail on the mizzen, but it is slow to come up into the wind, even with significant sternway and lost ground. Once the head is near the wind, add sail as with coming off the anchor... Generally it is easier to wear in very light winds, or with a damaged rig. I have taken more than half an hour to tack (successfully and on the first attempt), if done in very light winds with little headway to carry the ship up into the wind - the same in a brisk breeze with good speed on the ship can be done in less than 4 minutes.

#4523673 - 06/03/20 07:42 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks for the info though I still can't understand it lol. Where do you get all this sailing jargon and knowledge? It'd be nice to have an sailor's encyclopedia of terms opened up next to the game so I can refer to something the game mentions to get an understanding of the terms and sailing concepts.

Panzer, I never played it much but I just reninstalled Total War Empire to take a look at the sailing part of it. Its obviously pretty simple which I like for the graphics and easy approach and the details like particle effects and sail physics all look nice. Does it have a strictly naval campaign? Napoleon is one I do not have. I have Empire, Medieval 2(I don't recall it having any naval warfare), Shogun 2 I think which I got for free and then Rome 2 which I haven't played much.

#4523695 - 06/03/20 10:36 PM Re: A Painted Ocean - Sailing man-of-war simulator [Re: Coot]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

This is a fairly comprehensive guide to tall ship seamanship, though it does date from the period of screw frigates, so might include some information about performance under power which isn't relevant to a purely sail frigate.

There are also some youtube videos showing various sailing vessels being tacked or wearing.

Mostly the behaviour is quite intuitive though, you want to reduce wind resistance on the end of the ship which you want to come 'up' into the wind, and increase wind resistance on the end you want to fall away 'downwind', and try to do so with a 'balance' to the course steered and the rudder set to minimise sideways travel and to aid the rotation of the track.

The way the orders are given in the engine is consistent with some of the basics of ship handling (though generally much simpler and faster than in practice (10 - 15 minutes 'warning' for the crew to prepare to change sail spread or to back or brace the yards is what is called for in the text (and yes, a warship 'at arms' doesn't need as much, but the sequence of warning order, followed by execution command is still needed).

https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/textbook-of-seamanship/

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.