Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4522215 - 05/24/20 04:59 PM Shortlived campaigns  
dawnpatrol Offline
dawnpatrol  Offline

I really love this game, and i really only have 1 issue with it: my pilots never last longer than 1-25 missions. So its reroll new pilot pretty much every time i play, which even if it may be historical, it IS alittle immerson killer tbh.

I was thinking if i could tweak the game to give my pilot like 100% more health? He then would be able to survive an engine fire if landing immediately, or survive minor semi-serious crashes, take an extra bullet from enemies and so forth.

Increase pilots health?
Engine-fire damage to health reduced by half?

Has anyone tinkered with this?

Any suggestions warmly welcome!

ps. I do not want an immortal pilot, thus the invunerability settings in the workshop is not the solution i am looking for.

Last edited by dawnpatrol; 05/24/20 05:00 PM.
#4522216 - 05/24/20 05:08 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I've never bothered trying to tweak health "bars" in WOFF since I like the hard-core simulation part of it all - but, to give yourself a bit more security against various factors, I recommend increasing the "robustness" settings in JJJ's multi-mod, for things like max-g values, wing overspeed damage, etc., by about 10% - if you are flying the stock FMs. If you are flying my modded FMs, then leave those values as they are since my tweaks are a wee bit more competitive with the AI - in terms of max-g tolerances, etc.

For engine fires, the prevailing tip here on the threads is to turn engine off as soon as possible (magnetos off, also "turn off" the fuel line by leaning out fuel to 0%). I'm sure that many of our WOFFers will have more things to suggest.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4522218 - 05/24/20 05:42 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Or just set outcomes to Easiest - pilot never dies and choose to end the career or not too. Lots of options between the Workshop and modders.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4522224 - 05/24/20 06:38 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

You could also use Robert's "User Files Back-up Utility" and then when you feel your pilot has suffered an unfair or unrealistic demise you can bring him back and advance time as you see fit to account for a wounding or capture or such.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4522231 - 05/24/20 07:13 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

I feel your pain dawnpatrol. All good advice above. I'll add the following, which has helped me;

Despite the urge to engage every time you spot an EA, play it safe more often than not. Let your fellow squadron members handle the bulk of combat and practice hanging around on the outskirts of skirmishes. Try to follow the action without getting involved and watch what happens. Flying with a 'try to survive' DiD mentality, you will survive for longer and gradually get a better feel for your machine over time.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4522238 - 05/24/20 09:50 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

As Harry said, "all good suggestions". But let me ask you this: is it the fact that you're dying or are you using the same starting point (in an effort to "survive the war") and you're just getting tired of not making it out of a given era? The latter was getting to me until I decided to start each new pilot the day after my last one died and with the same unit. That way you can experience the entire war without having to survive the whole thing.

If it's the former, then your only real choices are to use "pilot never dies", be more cautious, or get better.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4522246 - 05/24/20 11:28 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
If you die in the campaign, just do what I do... start a new pilot in the same squadron but a few days after the last one died.
You have just become the replacement pilot!

#4522247 - 05/25/20 12:17 AM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: vonBaur]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by vonBaur
As Harry said, "all good suggestions". But let me ask you this: is it the fact that you're dying or are you using the same starting point (in an effort to "survive the war") and you're just getting tired of not making it out of a given era? The latter was getting to me until I decided to start each new pilot the day after my last one died and with the same unit. That way you can experience the entire war without having to survive the whole thing.

If it's the former, then your only real choices are to use "pilot never dies", be more cautious, or get better.

thumbsup

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4522257 - 05/25/20 03:43 AM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
There are two other things you can try to increase your pilot's health, but both will require you to change a couple of text files. The first method definitely will work, the second I am not sure about.

The first thing you can try is to open up the Sqd.xdp file of the plane you are currently flying. Look for the following line: <BoxMap SystemID="pilot" Probability="45" Points="20"/>. You can either decrease the probability of your pilot getting hit or increase his hit points, or both. Of course, if you switch to another plane, you will have to do the same thing for its Sqd.xdp file, too.

The second method involves opening the pilotattributes.xml file and changing this entry in the <FighterPilot> section from:
<Attribute Name="Maxhealth" Default="25" Min="19" Max="36"/> to
<Attribute Name="Maxhealth" Default="36" Min="19" Max="36"/>

However, I have never tried changing this variable myself, so I am not sure if it even works. However, if it does work, you only have to change one file instead of every aircraft Sqd.xml file. On the downside, changing this value will effect ALL pilots in the game, AI included, so you need to take that into consideration, as well.

If you do decide to try either of these, make sure to back up your old files first!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4522311 - 05/25/20 04:44 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The first one will work BB, the second one isn't used by WOFF.

It may be easier to reduce the campaign mission Frequency (workshops) to light then you will fly fewer missions per day and survive longer periods.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4522322 - 05/25/20 06:28 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: dawnpatrol]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Right from the horse's mouth, dp. Thanks, Mark!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4522334 - 05/25/20 07:45 PM Re: Shortlived campaigns [Re: vonBaur]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by vonBaur

Yes, this! Rather than cheating with health bonuses and such, play smarter and fly like a real pilot ... scared #%&*$# that you are going to die duck

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse