Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4522219 - 05/24/20 05:42 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
So what will become of Cougar after he gave up his wings? Does it mean he won't be able to fly Navy jet fighters or that he won't be able to fly anything or that he will still be able to fly something like the refueling plane? Will he be dishonorably discharge or will he spent the remaining years doing other duties like mess or laundry or what they call it when they mop the deck?

I'd of course like to think that he had an illustrious career flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh*t out of Hong Kong.

However I postulate that Top Gun was actually a prequel offshoot of The Day After and Threads films, depicting one of the first major naval engagements between U.S. and Soviet forces, and so he, the rubber dogsh*t market and the city of Hong Kong may not have survived the war.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522223 - 05/24/20 06:31 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
So what will become of Cougar after he gave up his wings? Does it mean he won't be able to fly Navy jet fighters or that he won't be able to fly anything or that he will still be able to fly something like the refueling plane? Will he be dishonorably discharge or will he spent the remaining years doing other duties like mess or laundry or what they call it when they mop the deck?

I'd of course like to think that he had an illustrious career flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog sh*t out of Hong Kong.

However I postulate that Top Gun was actually a prequel offshoot of The Day After and Threads films, depicting one of the first major naval engagements between U.S. and Soviet forces, and so he, the rubber dogsh*t market and the city of Hong Kong may not have survived the war.

Except that the Soviets weren't directly involved in Top Gun (I don't think, it's been a while), but I don't remember which nation was depicted as flying the "MiGs". This is why, when I listen to the Top Gun soundtrack, I think more of a terrorist state opponent (a la Iron Eagle) than I do the mighty Russians.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4522226 - 05/24/20 07:01 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I was asking in real world if a U.S. Navy aviator turned in his wings.

[Linked Image]
#4522242 - 05/24/20 10:37 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
I was asking in real world if a U.S. Navy aviator turned in his wings.

I would hope he gets treated decently. The reason being that if aviators hang onto their wings when they really should stop flying, they put the lives of those around them at risk.

#4522251 - 05/25/20 02:49 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
but I don't remember which nation was depicted as flying the "MiGs". .

That's because there was no real-world nation that served as the adversary in "Top Gun". It was a simply a generic authoritarian nation but because this movie came out in the summer of 1986, I bet you that either Libya, Iran or the USSR were the top countries imagined by people who saw the movie in the theater.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522255 - 05/25/20 03:13 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
but I don't remember which nation was depicted as flying the "MiGs". .

That's because there was no real-world nation that served as the adversary in "Top Gun". It was a simply a generic authoritarian nation but because this movie came out in the summer of 1986, I bet you that either Libya, Iran or the USSR were the top countries imagined by people who saw the movie in the theater.

I swore I remembered a Middle Eastern accent, but I'm wrong, you never hear the MiG pilots speak...

Top Gun - Final Dogfight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqfXXaOisKo

Who Exactly Was The Bad Guy In ‘Top Gun’?

The sun is in the east
#4522258 - 05/25/20 03:48 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I've always thought the MiG-28 theme had a definite Soviet synth vibe.

#4522260 - 05/25/20 03:57 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

Make it sh/tty old battered rig that coughs and spews constant black smoke, leaks every fluid possible, throw in Mel Gibson, Nic Cage a cartel of some sort and we got a movie!

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522269 - 05/25/20 05:01 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Will watch this today when the barbecue is slowly barbecueing on the barbecue.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Final-Countdown-Kirk-Douglas/dp/B077V1QRD9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1JAEAL7PS9VXW&dchild=1&keywords=final+countdown&qid=1590382823&sprefix=final+countdown%2Cinstant-video%2C222&sr=8-1][/url]

Last edited by NoFlyBoy; 05/25/20 05:02 AM.

[Linked Image]
#4522341 - 05/25/20 08:03 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Q. for Scott if you're about...

When making Fleet Defender in the early-to-mid-90's, how popular were "The Final Countdown" and "Top Gun" in the hallowed halls of MicroProse?

Hi Mark,

I've got "Top Gun" on LD and I'd sometimes do movie nights at work but I don't think we ever got together as a group to watch either film. I think we all appreciated the movies but both had been out for quite a while and there is of course the "Hollywood Effect". I remember Mike pointing out to me that at times you could see the standby attitude indicator spinning like a top during some of the dogfights and we definitely weren't going to be using their radar stuff as a reference. Also given when most of "The Final Countdown" takes place and that the story wasn't as focused as much on flying I don't think that one sprang to mind much for inspiration. YouTube wasn't around and what internet there was was usually accessed through dial up so video sources were rather limited. We actually had to rent special video players so we could view some of the videos we were able to get access to.

Most of our inspiration and references were books. I definitely enjoyed reading a book about the making of "Top Gun" during that time. Another is a book called, 'The Cutting Edge", by C. J. Heatley III that has a ton of great pictures. One of our artists borrowed my copy and pretty much destroyed the spin smashing the book flat so he could scan it. I was not happy. It's a "coffee table" type book so wasn't cheap and it was my personal copy. I think I bought a hardbound edition after that and I believe I still have both. Another amusing book story was I lent another book to someone else and it was gone so long that I forgot who I lent it to. One day someone came up to me and said he found a book that he thought I might find of interest. He showed me the book, I looked at the cover, then the edge of the book opposite the spine, laughed and said, "Yes I would", as I showed him my last name written along that edge. At some point Marketing had gotten their hands on it from whomever I had initially lent it to and no one must have been worried about making sure it was returned. Since then I still lend out things but I keep a list on my whiteboard of what I've lent to whom.

I would guess that "Top Gun" would have been very popular with the guys at Spectrum that worked on the "Fire at Will" game a year or two after we came out since they would have been trying to capture a similar feel.

Speaking of "Fleet Defender" I just saw that "Fleet Defender" and some other MPS games just made it over to GOG. The Shadow Ops game isn't one of ours.

https://www.gog.com/news/7_classic_war_games_that_faithfully_simulate_a_reallife_battlefield

Elf

#4522386 - 05/26/20 01:17 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
MarkG,

I couldn't remember if F-19 was new or not but had already bought the group so couldn't check. I went ahead and bought the block since I was in a good mood about FD and they were all pretty cheap. That reminds me I'll have to let Ed know about 1942:PAW.

Elf

#4522390 - 05/26/20 01:36 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<Apologies Scott, I wanted to consolidate my previous two posts which I deleted while you were responding to them>....

Thanks for the heads up on today's MicroProse releases at GOG ("Fleet Defender" and "1942: The Pacific Air War" being the most important to me).

++++++++++

I find GOG DOS game installs are often sloppy and bloated, including unneeded and duplicate files (with FD the entire game is duplicated). So I always strip down my GOG DOS games back to original content, using only the DOSBox config file in my own batch organization and sometimes keeping any post-installation tools that might be useful. To me, the joy of DOS software is the tiny footprint and not requiring a formal setup/install (self-contained), once it's stripped to essential files. I'm soon going start what I hope will be an all-encompassing Fleet Defender thread on the appropriate board where I'll explain this in detail.

I can't believe that I'm hearing sound and digital speech in 1942:PAW! Also confirmed, Fleet Defender is the Gold version with training videos and jukebox!

Along with what has become my all-time favorite game, MicroProse's SubWar 2050 (developed by Particle Systems), I can honestly say that I have never been as enthusiastic about simming and gaming as I am right now! biggrin

EDIT: I messed up with Gunship though (just $3.00 so...). I think what I really want is the DOS version of Jane's Longbow that damson posted on recently.

Last edited by MarkG; 05/26/20 03:27 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4522394 - 05/26/20 02:36 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

We watch the Final Countdown today. Fun movie, love seeing all those real airplanes and real working of the Nimitz carrier.

But the ending, don't want to spoil it, was impossible.

Also so many questions, so many questions!!

[Linked Image]
#4522398 - 05/26/20 03:00 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

But the ending, don't want to spoil it, was impossible.

So what part did you find impossible besides the randomly appearing wormhole that allows time travel?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/26/20 03:00 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522402 - 05/26/20 03:17 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The fact that it made 56 mill at the box office is what blows my mind.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522411 - 05/26/20 10:11 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Ajay]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ajay

Audiences were much more easily entertained in 1980. wink

#4522413 - 05/26/20 10:50 AM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Ajay

Audiences were much more easily entertained in 1980. wink

Watching the "Behind the Scenes" posted by Arthonon, those Jolly Rogers Tomcats were brand spanking new when they made that movie (although the F-14's maiden flight was 10 years earlier). BTW, I'm starting over with the Fleet Defender documentation which tells the history of the F-14.

I remember as a kid how freaking awesome these new futuristic-looking twin-tail fighters seemed back in the day (I had a snap-together model of the F-15 I'll never forget). I think that was a lot of it, being all so new, and how hi-tech military aircraft captured our imagination in the 1980's (The Final Countdown, Firefox, Blue Thunder, Iron Eagle, Top Gun, etc.).

The sun is in the east
#4522436 - 05/26/20 03:21 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

No way those 2 people will be in the limo.

[Linked Image]
#4522440 - 05/26/20 03:30 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Wizard43 Offline
Wizard43  Offline

Canada
I just saw Fleet Defender on GOG yesterday as well. It's so cheap I considered adding it to my GOG library. My library is probably 80% games I haven't even downloaded let alone played so I didn't buy FD after all. I never played FD back in the day so I don't have a nostalgia connection to the game. The screen caps on GOG look so pixelated I didn't think I could get into the game now. I have the whole Strike Fighter's 2 series and my thought is to fly the SF2 F-14 some time in the future when time permits. I know lots of people loved FD as a great game. Any thoughts on this from you guys familiar with the game? Am I missing out on a great experience in FD or will SF2 fulfill my need for speed?

Wizard

#4522443 - 05/26/20 03:58 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Part of the problem with old games is in order to play them now, you have to emulate them on modern monitors and they look like crap because they weren't designed to look well on modern monitor technology. But if you emulate older CRT monitors properly within the Dos emulators, those old games still look great...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.