Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4522445 - 05/26/20 04:05 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Wizard43]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Wizard43
My library is probably 80% games I haven't even downloaded let alone played
Wizard

I guess you are amassing your inventory of games ahead of time to play once you retire? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4522447 - 05/26/20 04:12 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
But the ending was impossible. No way those 2 people will be in the limo.

Why not? It actually is one of the most realistically plausible aspects of the entire movie, given the movie's basic premise.

I actually recorded it over the weekend and watched it for the first time since its initial release, along with my 28 year old son, yesterday (obviously his first time ever). I've also shown him several John Wayne movies (Hellfighters, Rio Bravo, McClintock, Big Jake, Green Berets, The Shootist, and True Grit, so far), the original Mechanic, The Dirty Dozen, the original Death Wish, Death Hunt, and many more movies in which story and character development/interaction took precedent over fast-paced action and big explosions (and in which nothing was computer generated). I've gotten very good at NOT revealing the "Oh, sh*t" moments.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4522464 - 05/26/20 05:26 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
About Top Gun: The answer to any question about the movie can be answered by a simple statement - "Because I was inverted." wink

Make it sh/tty old battered rig that coughs and spews constant black smoke, leaks every fluid possible, throw in Mel Gibson, Nic Cage a cartel of some sort and we got a movie!

I helped pull the prop off of one of them a few weeks ago and will have to help put it back on in a week or so. The Pilatus is many things, but pretty ain't one of them. smile

Indeed, it's one of two left with a straight gas motivator. smile

Last edited by Dart; 05/26/20 05:27 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4522471 - 05/26/20 06:04 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Wizard43]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I just saw Fleet Defender on GOG yesterday as well. It's so cheap I considered adding it to my GOG library. My library is probably 80% games I haven't even downloaded let alone played so I didn't buy FD after all. I never played FD back in the day so I don't have a nostalgia connection to the game. The screen caps on GOG look so pixelated I didn't think I could get into the game now. I have the whole Strike Fighter's 2 series and my thought is to fly the SF2 F-14 some time in the future when time permits. I know lots of people loved FD as a great game. Any thoughts on this from you guys familiar with the game? Am I missing out on a great experience in FD or will SF2 fulfill my need for speed?

If you change your mind later about FD and have to pay full price, you'll only be out of $3.00. smile

Later this week I'll be starting a Fleet Defender thread on the Air Combat - General / Modern Era board. My interest in FD isn't despite its age, it's *because* of it, having an interest in late-DOS game development. In fact, I'm scheduling it as one of my daily studies, so I'll be 'playing' it regularly whether I feel like it or not. smile I also want, for the first time ever, to conquer a relatively complex flight sim on full difficulty and with using all available features. I was about to do this with SubWar 2050 as I'm further along, but now that I have the full FD Gold version, I'll stick with flight. Plus I like everything else about the game.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4522472 - 05/26/20 06:05 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Wizard43]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I just saw Fleet Defender on GOG yesterday as well. It's so cheap I considered adding it to my GOG library. My library is probably 80% games I haven't even downloaded let alone played so I didn't buy FD after all. I never played FD back in the day so I don't have a nostalgia connection to the game. The screen caps on GOG look so pixelated I didn't think I could get into the game now. I have the whole Strike Fighter's 2 series and my thought is to fly the SF2 F-14 some time in the future when time permits. I know lots of people loved FD as a great game. Any thoughts on this from you guys familiar with the game? Am I missing out on a great experience in FD or will SF2 fulfill my need for speed?

Wizard

It was easily one of the best flight sims of its era, although the graphics are so crude that I thought it looked outdated even by the first time I played it in the late '90s.

#4522474 - 05/26/20 06:08 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

It was easily one of the best flight sims of its era, although the graphics are so crude that I thought it looked outdated even by the first time I played it in the late '90s.

We already had 3D graphics acceleration and the early versions of Direct X by the late 90's so "Fleet Defender" most definitely would have looked outdated by even that time.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4522477 - 05/26/20 06:20 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Crane Hunter]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter

I agree somewhat as it always seemed to me that they tried pushing texture mapping a bit too far with VGA graphics (320x200x256 [game devs usually didn't use 640x480x16, Mode X being closer to the former]). Except lately I've changed my mind about FD with its beautiful (for its day) differing time-of-day and weather atmospherics. I'm guessing that EF2000 was the pinnacle of late-DOS flight sim visuals, with SVGA graphics (640x400x256), a *huge* jump in screen resolution, even before SVGA was assumed 800x600.

EDIT: Oh, and EF2000 even had DOS 3Dfx/Rendition graphic options, although I never minded the Software visuals.

2nd EDIT: But what looked better than Fleet Defender in 1994?

Last edited by MarkG; 05/26/20 06:48 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4522561 - 05/27/20 12:33 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by MarkG
But what looked better than Fleet Defender in 1994?

Make that 1993 (first pic) but what you want of course is the Gold version (second pic) which came out on CD in 1994.

I cannot believe this stuff is still out there (and many issues mentioned seemed to have been fixed according to later build release notes)...
A PLAYER'S GUIDE TO FLEET DEFENDER
...also on CombatSim...
Fleet Defender

Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat simulation.

A fantastic review read...
Comparison with F15 SE 3?

I'll save the rest for my FD thread.

Attached Files 23947-fleet-defender-dos-media.jpgs-l1600a.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4522562 - 05/27/20 12:37 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I can't guarantee that my memory is 100% reliable on this but I seem to recall that Pacific Air War: 1942 by Microprose and Dawn Patrol by Rowan had considerably better looking graphics than Fleet Defender.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/27/20 12:37 PM.

#4522564 - 05/27/20 12:50 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I can't guarantee that my memory is 100% reliable on this but I seem to recall that Pacific Air War: 1942 by Microprose and Dawn Patrol by Rowan had considerably better looking graphics than Fleet Defender.

1942:PAW is going to be my next sim (purchased on Monday along with FD) so I'll make some comparisons. smile Never heard of Dawn Patrol, maybe a "new" pleasant surprise for a retro simmer?

The sun is in the east
#4522565 - 05/27/20 12:51 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Never heard of Dawn Patrol, maybe a "new" pleasant surprise for a retro simmer?

It was a WWI sim made by a UK based developer. The graphics at the time were quite stunning for a flight sim.

#4522578 - 05/27/20 02:23 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

Never heard of Dawn Patrol, maybe a "new" pleasant surprise for a retro simmer?

It was a WWI sim made by a UK based developer. The graphics at the time were quite stunning for a flight sim.

Confirmed that what you're comparing is 320x200 (1993) to 640x480 (1994), a *huge* increase in resolution at the time! FD Gold added new content but not upgraded graphics.

I believe, given those limitations, that MicroProse couldn't have done a better job graphically with FD. That next jump in resolution would have been incredible considering what their artists had already accomplished, with maybe one more installment of Stealth Fighter using such an upgraded next generation 3D engine. Had that happened, and assuming that we would have had the option of flying the F-117 and fictional F-19 (as was later patched for F-19, I think), I would have been happy with MP's Stealth Fighter for life.

Last edited by MarkG; 05/27/20 02:26 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4522586 - 05/27/20 03:09 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: MarkG]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Dawn Patrol.
1942 PAW

#4522587 - 05/27/20 03:19 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wizard43 Offline
Wizard43  Offline

Canada
My library is probably 80% games I haven't even downloaded let alone played
Wizard

I guess you are amassing your inventory of games ahead of time to play once you retire?

You are absolutely right! Problem is retirement is around a decade away give or take depending on how many years my kids are in university. I hope I have a gaming rig that will play this ancient stuff when the time comes.

#4522591 - 05/27/20 04:07 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

We already had 3D graphics acceleration and the early versions of Direct X by the late 90's so "Fleet Defender" most definitely would have looked outdated by even that time.

Yeah, had it been released even a few years later it would have made a huge difference in visuals.

I honestly though that Fleet Defender's graphics looked like something from a Commodore 64 game's title screen the first time I played it!

#4522593 - 05/27/20 04:31 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Jane's US Navy Fighters came out in 1994. My brother was in to Fleet Defender, I was in to US Navy Fighters and we used to argue about which was better or better looking. Of course I was right.

Welcome to the Black Sea.

damson made a thread about it some time back. A trip down memory lane

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4252177/

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4522598 - 05/27/20 04:53 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Lieste]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Lieste

Dawn Patrol.
1942 PAW

Yeah, my mistake. I should have said 1993.

EDIT: With the possible exception of 1942: PAW (I haven't decided yet), Fleet Defender is IMO the best-ever looking 320x200 rez flight sim (w/3D real-time graphics). Are there any others beside PAW? I thought Evasive Action looked nice for being so simplistic (from the dev that made SubWar 2050 for MicroProse).

Last edited by MarkG; 05/27/20 06:18 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4522603 - 05/27/20 05:06 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: Wizard43]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Problem is retirement is around a decade away give or take depending on how many years my kids are in university. I hope I have a gaming rig that will play this ancient stuff when the time comes.

If by ancient you mean earlier Windows, then good luck (especially with any DRM). But if you mean DOS, I think you'll always be in luck as long as the OS you're using supports a DOS emulator like DOSBox.

Cockroaches, Twinkies and DOS programs will always be around, even after...

Attached Files atomic-mushroom-cloud-explosion-2-2.gif

The sun is in the east
#4522611 - 05/27/20 05:40 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: DBond]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by DBond
Jane's US Navy Fighters came out in 1994. My brother was in to Fleet Defender, I was in to US Navy Fighters and we used to argue about which was better or better looking. Of course I was right.

Welcome to the Black Sea.

damson made a thread about it some time back. A trip down memory lane

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4252177/

Eh... I love Fighters Anthology (the Gold version of those Paul Grace Jane's sims mentioned), but come on. biggrin

Let's put it this way... I've never had FA manuals scattered over my kitchen table wondering what the hell I've gotten myself in to?! FD is definitely more of a deeper study sim than FA, although they're both fun.

Attached Files DSCF2474.JPGDSCF2851.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4522648 - 05/27/20 09:03 PM Re: TOP GUN: 34years later. Some thoughts and questions. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Now I want those games too! Old games are more fun than today shoot them shoot them shoot them nothing but shoot them games.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.