Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4521488 - 05/19/20 05:21 PM Re: Scramble question. [Re: Tycoon]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The AI on the ground, some of them when on the field are waiting as they are "on alert" waiting to take off to intercept enemy flights such as you..

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4521505 - 05/19/20 06:47 PM Re: Scramble question. [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by VonS
go into the simulation.xml file in your WOFF directory, scroll down to the "individual fighter-on-fighter" settings, and change the threshold levels as follows, and save the changes:

fightThreshold="-2"
withdrawThreshold="-3"

Very good, VonS.

Some may also like to try my "Simple AI Mod" which allows you to switch between three different versions of fightThreshold and withdrawThreshold values:

Stock
fightThreshold="0"
withdrawThreshold="-1"

Alternative 1
fightThreshold="-1"
withdrawThreshold="-2"

Alternative 3
fightThreshold="-2"
withdrawThreshold="-3"

For more details, please check out the Mods forum. Right now, you have to manually swap the different versions in and out, but someone with coding experience should be able to easily randomize the process. Or, just wait for WOFF 2020, which may do something similar, but more elegantly.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 05/19/20 06:50 PM. Reason: typo

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4521510 - 05/19/20 07:00 PM Re: Scramble question. [Re: Hellshade]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by Hellshade
Originally Posted by Raine
Given what I've read about the AI work that the devs are doing now, I suspect the behaviour of "on alert" AI aircraft may be affected by the overall improvements to AI attack behaviour. Personally, I think we should wait and see.

Can you link or quote the post where Pol talks about the changes to AI? I know its around here somewhere but I just can't find it.

Hellshade,

I was thinking of the following, from the 17 March 2020 update on the WOFF website. The boldface part is what I was guessing might affect aircraft on alert.

"New AI code to allow new appropriate decisions. Dogfights are more dynamic and intense, and now often lasting longer. AI Pilots will still try to escape the fightto get back over to the safety of their lines as really happened in WW1, but as then they will be more aware of the fight around them and will re-engage combat if necessary whilst looking for their next attempt to exit! AI are more aware of enemies in all the various tasks they do and will be able to defend themselves better. For example when landing or taking off they will better able to react to immediate threats.The Observer gunners are improved, for example new code allows the Fe2b to operate as a fighter! Gunners will be more responsive"

#4521513 - 05/19/20 07:11 PM Re: Scramble question. [Re: Tycoon]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Going back to the morale question, if I may, I guess my overall point is that morale in WOFF may be set a tad too low overall for most AI pilots. My understanding is that morale can range between 1 - 10. Although I do not know the exact mechanics, this initial morale value can fluctuate dynamically and is influenced by things such as distance behind the lines, pilot health, aircraft damage, etc.

I assume when this value equals the value of withdrawThreshold in the simulation.xml file, this triggers the AI disengage or go home behavior (there are also triggers for other AI behaviors as well, obviously). So, lowering the withdrawThreshold value in the simulation.xml file may help, but since other behaviors are also affected by the morale value, I think increasing morale a bit is the better approach overall.

Just thinking out loud, here. As Raine said, I'm sure OBD is considering this very issue.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM