Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4521181 - 05/17/20 11:10 AM Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9.  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The kit

[Linked Image]

The booklet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sprue, which is is actually Eduard and not Revell. Annoyed a little bit as i was looking forward to doing a Revell kit as i haven't yet.

[Linked Image]

Detail looks good, some flashy parts but nothing major.

[Linked Image]

The actual plane i will be doing, Red 13 of JV 44. The inscription on the portside reads: “Rein muß er und wenn wir beide weinen!” - In he goes and then we both cry! I'm actually not sure if that relates to a woman or air combat or is a play on both! Either way i'm really looking forward to doing this particular paint job and am currently waiting on a set of decals to turn up from Melbourne via way of a guy who is doing Red 4 and doesn't need the Red 13 decals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A quick bit of info about JV44 - JV 44 comprised a core of experienced pilots (Experten) chosen from Galland's former staff or recruited from units which had been disbanded or were being re-equipped, its complement included 50 pilots and 25 airplanes(262'S).

The Platzschutzstaffel (airfield protection squadron) was established by General Adolf Galland to serve as fighter cover for Me 262 airfields. The JV44 aerial defence unit was comprised of the long nosed Dora Focke-Wulf Fw 190. These were painted bright red on their underbelly with white stripes to help anti-aircraft batteries distinguish them from allied aircraft, leading to their humorous postwar nickname of the Papagei Staffel (Parrot squadron). The Staffel was nicknamed "Die Würger-Staffel", a play on the common nickname for the BMW 801 radial-engined original A-version of the Fw 190, which was Würger or Butcher-bird.

The final victory of the JV44 is said to be scored by Oberleutnant Klaus Faber while flying the “Red 13”, He claimed a P-47 Thunderbolt while on a flight to pick up some whiskey. Faber’s victory totals are unknown.

The kit comes with the front gun cowl to be modelled open as well as the wing cannon cowls, i want to show the lines of the plane so she will be all shut up during the build. Being an Eduard kit, of which i have only two previous, the mounting points for the fuselage and wings are a bit average, The don't seem to like the very positive mounting points that Tamiya, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa etc seem to favour for some reason. Lots of dry fitting to make sure everything is all squared up before glue goes anywhere near it, doubly so with this kit. From a bit of reading around it seems it was one of Eduards first ventures..and so far it really seems like it. Even though i was closing it up i still hurriedly built the gun and engine piping pieces to help support the front end with some bulheads/firewalls. It all fits but it's just a bit sloppy and meh compared to most of the kits i have done. The cockpit and forward assembly i glued to one side and let sit overnight before worrying about mating with the other fuselage side. As a bonus item, both sides of the fuselage were warped outwards in the box which seems to be a common trend, maybe i'm just lucky. The next day i joined the two pieces and then let it sit again overnight so i could start having a look at the wing assembly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A previous dry fit of the wing showed it was a bit rough, with the fuselage and all the main parts of the wing glued i could have a better look at it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terrible. So thus began much shaving and chopping to make it all fit. The main wing beam had to have a decent amount shaved off the top, previously i had to add some filler sprue as the rear stay didn't mount where it was meant to. Everything has been overglued as i'm slightly paranoid this thing may not hold together smile

[Linked Image]

Front shaved within a mm of its life for clearance up against the shell chutes.

[Linked Image]

Two chunks cut out for clearance where they seat into the fuselage

[Linked Image]

This is where they butt up, which has also been trimmed.

[Linked Image]

And lastly, a piece of sprue in the rear fuselage to spread it a tiny bit so as to close the wing gap.

[Linked Image]

End result, the wings now sit fairly nicely and there will be no gap once it is glued. The wing gun doors are going to need a decent amount of work to fit still. In this pic you can also see i have also hacked into a lot of the stuff under the front gun cowl so it will sit flush.

[Linked Image]

So, moving onto to the front cowls. There is a bulge that needs to be removed for this particular plane off the fuselage and the cowl, easy chop and sand job.

[Linked Image]

The very front cowl has a raised section that results in a gap, i don't know why Eduard have done that. After a few dry fits it seemed i could remove it from both sides and still make the rear section of the gun cowl fit fairly neatly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The cooling flaps would not in any way seat on the rear part of the engine without a massive gap so much hacking to get a groove of sorts to get it to sit flush up against the front engine cowl once it was all together. You won't see any of that mess so don't worry!

[Linked Image]

Surprise surprise, when that unit is assembled there is another massive gap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So i will be chopping a section out of here to pull it all in flush.

[Linked Image]

.At the moment both front mg cowls are glued and drying and looked decent before i hid them under some tape while they cure overnight. I'm glad i didn't get this as a first kit as i would have binned it and found another hobby biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4521203 - 05/17/20 03:15 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
That's a lot of fiddly work, but you'll make it perfect!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4521229 - 05/17/20 07:28 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Man...what a messed up kit.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4521238 - 05/17/20 10:36 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

I agree, Its way over my head too many make em fit parts.

#4521246 - 05/18/20 12:36 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The wing gun ammo doors are the fiddliest. I need to trim the wing opening a bit and glue some card underneath so i have a base. Underneath the door needs the detail removed and then sand some plastic off so it sits flush.Then i can trim and fit the doors to the fuselage, mate the wings, and do some hopefully minor putty work and if i'm lucky, no rescribing or riveting.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4521426 - 05/19/20 12:45 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Got most of the fiddly stuff sorted today.

The flash on the kit always happens to be in the most annoying areas

[Linked Image]

Two options, closed or open, i'll run with open for interest

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It might be messy but it isn't ever coming apart

[Linked Image]

Shaving the insides down

[Linked Image]

Looking much better

[Linked Image]

Glued to the fuselage and awaiting the wing

[Linked Image]

I don't know what i would do without You Tube while i'm modelling. I've worked through most of the '70's, what there is of it available, the '80's, '90's and now into the 2000's with F1.

[Linked Image]

Gaps are a bit tight in places but she'll do.

[Linked Image]

Waiting for the milliput to dry and then some sanding and hopefully we are home free.

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4521690 - 05/21/20 12:16 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I have occasionally pondered why Galland chose the D-9 to guard the 262's while vulnerable.

Wasn't the D-9 designed as a high altitude aircraft? The precursor to the TA-152?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4521701 - 05/21/20 03:01 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Chuck Yeager Quote that inevitably opens a can of worms on every forum it is ever posted biggrin

"That long-nose Focke-Wulf was maybe the best piston-engine fighter I ever flew. As long as you stayed below 25,000 feet."

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4521708 - 05/21/20 03:52 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Nixer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Nixer
I have occasionally pondered why Galland chose the D-9 to guard the 262's while vulnerable.

Wasn't the D-9 designed as a high altitude aircraft? The precursor to the TA-152?

The Ta152H had very long wings for high altitude. The Ta152C had wings just a bit longer than the Dora. Only a handful of these were produced.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4521765 - 05/21/20 02:58 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Painting, some good, some average.

First off was dulled down silver followed by some chipping spray and then a clear coat. The fuselage colour painted over that after an hour or so. For some reason my phone camera has defaulted to small pics so this series of shots is a bit sub par.

[Linked Image]

RLM82 first

[Linked Image]

Then the RLM83. I must have referred to a different mix ratio for this as it is far darker than the 83 on the 262, i am going to have to respray it and tone it down a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And finally the 81, the brown around the tail. Most of the fuselage has had a light respray here to tidy it all up, still some to do around the wing roots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The stripes, i don't know why i did it like this as i kept telling myself... just spray it all white otherwise that black will show through to much. I masked them pretty much as the Eduard template by eye so they are just off enough as to not be perfect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Which it did, even after 3 coats (this pic is only one ,or a mist first coat to seal the tape and then one) so i sprayed a light coat of white over the red after this stage and then continued with a couple more of the red to get full colour.

[Linked Image]

Final result, not bad but plenty of leak through and the Aizu tape i used (1.5mm wide) didn't give as nice a line as the Tamiya tape generally does.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This shows how good the Tamiya tape line on the fuselage is compared to the other stuff.

[Linked Image]

So i'll let her cure overnight and then give the underside a light hit with some 2000 grit or higher,mask the red and give the white a touch up. Then i'll lighten the RLM83. Oh yes, and sus out why my phone camera pics are so small.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4521792 - 05/21/20 06:10 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Coming nicely Ajay.

I doubt the real lines were perfect.

Didn't RLM83 have different shades, due to the war situation?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4521856 - 05/22/20 03:07 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I imagine the later war cilours were all over the shop, i'm just not a big fan of the contrast between the two greens, it looks off.

The stripes are not meant to be spaced correctly being a field job so that side of it is good, just the paint leak that is annoying smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4521941 - 05/22/20 03:59 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Looks awesome to me Ajay. Oh, and thanks for the education on the D-9's low altitude capabilities.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4521979 - 05/22/20 06:27 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Nixer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by Nixer
Looks awesome to me Ajay. Oh, and thanks for the education on the D-9's low altitude capabilities.

You can find more info on the Dora here, http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/fw190/fw190d9test.html

#4522279 - 05/25/20 10:01 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The retaping

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

German AA view, 190 pilot hoping he has done enough to be recognised

[Linked Image]

Touching up the front of the fuselage and knocking off the cowl and other sticky on bits. I can see why most go for the shut cowl flaps when it came to the stripes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The little pile of bits nearly ready for clearing

[Linked Image]

I did some lightening/weathering of the RLM83 and 82 and made up a RLM76 with a dash of 02 for where the marking will sit under the canopy, just enough to make it a field attempt at the 76. Some minor chipping work as well. The Vallejo chipping medium is awesome. After watching so many tutorials on chipping, weathering and what not over the last year it seems the belief is you need to chip within an hour or so of applying the top coat over chipping mediums whether they are hairspray or a brand name modelling medium. I left this for 2 and a half odd days before chipping and it works just as well, if not better, giving you more control than doing it so soon after.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The skinny section of this undercarriage arm broke and flung across the shed making a very quiet *plink* noise as it vanished forever... so i replaced it with a section of stretched sprue and rolled another thinner piece of heated sprue around it. I wouldn't win the modelling competition but it'll do the job biggrin

[Linked Image]

Canopy with some light chipping

[Linked Image]

Clear coat for the decals and wash. It seems to always be at this stage that i notice something i missed, in this case the glaring blue on the rear fuselage tail plane joins.

[Linked Image]

The nearly final pile, my little sprue job ended up being just shorter than its mate.

[Linked Image]

I've been wanting to put this decal on a model for a long time.

[Linked Image]

Nearly there!

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522282 - 05/25/20 11:38 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
[Linked Image]

#4522715 - 05/28/20 06:16 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

Decals

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Up on her wheels, a bit of trimming and mucking around required for them to sit correctly. Final clear applied so i can do a wash and some weathering.

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522778 - 05/28/20 03:58 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Ajay you are a Michelangelo reincarnated Great work !! Love following your posts

Russ
Semper Fi
#4522882 - 05/29/20 03:13 AM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Ha ha, i wish biggrin I got some snaps last with her prop and canopy on and she looks cool. Gave her an actual 'light' oil wash, added exhaust staining and made a lower aerial out of sprue as the kit one is only half the job. I'll post up some pics later sarvo.

Edit- Sarvo is aussie slang for this afternoon, in case that threw anyone.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4522912 - 05/29/20 02:24 PM Re: Part two of the 262 JV44 build, the 190 D9. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Bomb and drop tank, i will use the tank in the dio but unsure on the bomb yet.

[Linked Image]

The place where small parts go to die. Found the pitot tube after a quick search luckily.

[Linked Image]

Loop antenna and my replacement sprue underwing aerial

[Linked Image]

The desk after an oil weathering session, this is after i have quick tidied it and finished for the night..it gets a lot worse.

[Linked Image]

Sitting overnight before i will final clear it. Incorrect canopy still on and i managed to remove the armoured headrest in one piece thankfully.

[Linked Image]

Final matt/satin mix clear coat. Still to dust up the wheels, pitot tube and aerial to add, armoured headrest to the canopy that is now correct. I'll let it cure for a couple of nights before i do those final touches.

[Linked Image]

In the meantime i'll knock this out this to add some interest to the dio.

[Linked Image]

My first thoughts were..this would look great with a blower sticking out of the hood and four pipes poked out under each front guard! You could definitely knock out a cool little hot rod version of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.