Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4521191 - 05/17/20 01:03 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I just closed my Ubi account. I had nothing in my library that I will ever play again,it's just a pity they didn't ask why I was closing it.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4521218 - 05/17/20 05:42 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
Originally Posted by Nixer
I have no idea why some shyster hasn't sued FB, Google et al for tracking them around the internet, and profiting from it.

All without ever registering with them or agreeing to SQUAT.

It should be the "class action of the century"

because you agreed by sign up....same goes for instagram, both FB and instagram can claim your pictures to make internal use as they desire, so if they want to train AI, sell them as stock photo, they can.

I have never signed up for Facebook or Twitter and they TRY to track me all over the internet and then profit off it. Where's my share?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4521236 - 05/17/20 09:43 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Blade_RJ]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Originally Posted by MarkG
This is why I have never, and will never, purchase any media/games with an online umbilical cord. I either own a license that is fully within my control or it's no sale.

But this is also why I've been left so far behind (years now turning in to decades). frown

Well, come to the dark side then wink

There are plenty of easy ways to pay legally for a game, and yet avoid these restrictions.

So as far as I'm concerned, they can update their ToS whatever they like, they can't touch me (Single Player offline only, obviously).

That practice anyway really needs a class action suit fought under European law, because one-sided changing contracts terms long after payment has been made, without reimbursment, certainly isn't actually legal.

But since they choose to abuse their 300-Pound-Gorilla legal-department advantage over any single customer and do things that are borderline fraudulent because no one can afford taking them to court - well, two can play at that shady game.

Just to be crystal clear: This is not an argument for, I'm not advocating piracy. Reward developers and publishers for the excellent games they make. Just stuff their 1984 Orwell crap down their throats and liberate game executables from their shackles... (vive la revolutione etc.)

#4521445 - 05/19/20 01:53 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

There absolutely does need to be a class action against some of these companies. The EULA are over reaching these days IMO and changing them after the fact is 100% illegal.

#4521448 - 05/19/20 02:08 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Blade_RJ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm curious to know if Ubisoft was able to make these EULA changes in Europe as well? Ubisoft is a French company after all.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/19/20 02:09 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4521451 - 05/19/20 02:13 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Master]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Master
changing them after the fact is 100% illegal.

It isn't.

When you agree to a EULA, it is binding for that version of the software. So if you buy version 1.01, the agreement is for version 1.01. If the game gets patched to 1.05 and the EULA changes, there will be a need to agree on the EULA for the new version onwards, but it does not effect the agreement to play versions 1.01 through 1.04.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm curious to know if Ubisoft was able to make these EULA changes in Europe as well? Ubisoft is a French company after all.

Why wouldn't they be able to make the EULA changes in Europe?

Guys, there is a big difference between a EULA being consumer-unfriendly and a EULA being illegal.

#4521452 - 05/19/20 02:14 PM Re: The age of license of use and revoke at whim is upon us [Re: Vaderini]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Vaderini

Why wouldn't they be able to make the EULA changes in Europe?

In general, the EU tends to have more consumer-friendly legislation compared to the US so I was curious.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.