Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4499789 - 12/10/19 06:25 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

It is not FF. Micro$oft broke the way DX6 era code works. The problem is not unique to EAW or Panzer Elite. It is either the instruction set for multi core processors or the legacy DLLs for DX9 instructions. I added multi thread aware and large memory blocks to the PE code and it is reported the same types of slow downs.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4499794 - 12/10/19 08:40 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
It is not FF. Micro$oft broke the way DX6 era code works. The problem is not unique to EAW or Panzer Elite. It is either the instruction set for multi core processors or the legacy DLLs for DX9 instructions. I added multi thread aware and large memory blocks to the PE code and it is reported the same types of slow downs.

I bow to your vastly more comprehensive knowledge! FF slowdown is a symptom rather than a cause, therefore. We just have to live with these things until finally the newer OS leave these games altogether unworkable.

#4499881 - 12/10/19 10:13 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Yeah, its definatly a DX6 or DX9 thing. Win7 had it right, but to get more old games supported I think Microsoft added more layers and it slowed down the game in win10.

I tried to and experimented with the compat database built into windows, but never finished sorting threw all the options available. I wrote a doc on it at my help site. Its advanced but once you get into it its fairly easy.

I have a quad core with a single thread support , as EAW uses single thread. So that can't be the problem. If you have 6 cores I think the single thread is not supported as much.

All this testing I did got me little ahead, but not much, and it was too long ago (a few years) to remember everything I tried.

#4499913 - 12/11/19 10:44 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
I mostly use an iPad for internet nowadays and have little use for my home pc, so I intend to keep Win 7 on it for as long as it can survive. Support is going, but that won't affect me much, hopefully, as I generally disable the internet on the pc except for when I wish to download something for EAW or First Eagles and the like. Anyway, there are some who have survived for years up to now on XP.

In fact, I haven't installed an update for Win 7 for years and the sky hasn't fallen in yet.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 12/11/19 10:46 AM.
#4499921 - 12/11/19 01:11 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
I mostly use an iPad for internet nowadays and have little use for my home pc, so I intend to keep Win 7 on it for as long as it can survive. Support is going, but that won't affect me much, hopefully, as I generally disable the internet on the pc except for when I wish to download something for EAW or First Eagles and the like. Anyway, there are some who have survived for years up to now on XP.

In fact, I haven't installed an update for Win 7 for years and the sky hasn't fallen in yet.

Perhaps you might want to install the updates while they are still available.

#4499958 - 12/11/19 05:26 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: RIBob]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
No, everything is working fine now for my requirements. I'd worry that something in the updates might break something.

#4500118 - 12/12/19 11:35 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

I have always allowed MS Win 7 updates, without any negative problems. I understand your hesitance to do so, but may I suggest cloning your existing HD to a separate drive, and then downloading the updates to your existing HD? See if the upgrades affect your gaming. I suspect not at all. But if there is a problem, then re-install the original drive, and you arte back to where you where. You now have a second drive, once wiped of its' contents, suitable for backup purposes.

Last edited by RIBob; 12/13/19 12:11 AM.
#4500165 - 12/13/19 09:01 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: RIBob]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by RIBob
I have always allowed MS Win 7 updates, without any negative problems. I understand your hesitance to do so, but may I suggest cloning your existing HD to a separate drive, and then downloading the updates to your existing HD? See if the upgrades affect your gaming. I suspect not at all. But if there is a problem, then re-install the original drive, and you arte back to where you where. You now have a second drive, once wiped of its' contents, suitable for backup purposes.

Thanks, RIBob. That sounds like an excellent idea. However, I'm lazy and the problem is to motivate myself to do it. I tend to react to things that go wrong rather than pre-empt them. No doubt the day will come when I kick myself for not taking your advice!

#4500350 - 12/14/19 08:29 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: SkyHigh]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by SkyHigh
Originally Posted by RIBob

Thanks, RIBob. That sounds like an excellent idea. However, I'm lazy and the problem is to motivate myself to do it. I tend to react to things that go wrong rather than pre-empt them. No doubt the day will come when I kick myself for not taking your advice!

I completely understand, and share some of those traits. Allow me to provide some motivational assistance. Suppose your current drive (how old/how much use has it seen anyway?) on your Win 7 catastrophically failed. Consider how much time and effort it would take to re-create what you have stored there, as opposed to having a ready-to-install backup drive, Some info formerly available to you, used to create what you currently have on your drive might no longer easily accessible, if at all

Submitted by a fellow procrastinator, who HAS had a drive failure, and who HAD a backup drive.

#4500419 - 12/15/19 03:57 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: RIBob]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
One expects the worst, while hoping for the best!

#4502802 - 01/06/20 08:47 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

wink I still prefer win98, but then again I do not need the OS to "educate" me.

The comment is true, but do not take it as a personal insult.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4513318 - 03/29/20 12:42 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Just a notice, slight update to the tool pack. No need to re download it though unless your after some CDF extractors and other minor changes.
I will be adding more to the pack, but if your gonna re-download it now, could you please offer feedback and provide readmes for some or any tool you know how to use. You can post here or PM me. Thanks.

I also sorted out the CDF extraction tools on the files section of the help site. Reduced the archive count and repacked what I had left.
Note: The Win98 (CDFRW.exe) extractor will not run on 64 bit systems as its a 16bit program.
Other file descriptions added as well.

#4520231 - 05/09/20 09:01 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Okay, more of an update. More 3dz tools sorted out and readmes added. Note, most new readmes are in early development and still need expanding.
(Moving readmes to the tool pack , from the model help doc. They may come back to the model making help doc when there expanded upon, hopefully.)

#4520708 - 05/13/20 07:11 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Found a WindowsXP CDF Manger(works in Win10), Extractor and such in my pile. I've added that to the tool pack.
Added a bunch of readme's and some more tools to cover other areas of modifying EAW.
I've uploaded and will be uploading updates to the tool pack archive, so give a week to download it again as i may update it several times during a weeks period of time.....and sometimes I upload it several times aswell.

Since i don't know how to use all tools, and neither to newbies, there are tutorials and reference material downloadable from my files section to help you out.
Don't be afraid to look around into the file archives as some documentation is still hidden within some tools I have not posted in the tool pack yet.

Still need help to fill out the readmes if anyoe can help give 1 a description of the tool, and 2 usage, 3 tips and the like to help out and shorten a newbies time using a specific tool.

#4520714 - 05/13/20 09:29 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
I would be happy to instruct any newbies in the dark arts of 3dz modeling.

But it has to be instigated by the person interested since I have way too much to do to produce instructions on the hope that someone will take the bait.

So, if you are interested, do not hesitate to ask.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4521150 - 05/16/20 11:34 PM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

As the post above says, I need short readmes for any of the packed in tools. In particular the 3dz tools at the moment. (then other tools later).
1-Short description
2-Usage
3-tips

You are referring to another post i made on another thread as for 3dz model help. I have a help doc displayed, just need text inserted and edited. The further down the help doc the more elusive the information.

Everyone that helped has downloaded the tool pack and read the current model making help doc and provide small details to help me.
In the mean time im trying to get it all organized, tools and doc info.

#4521162 - 05/17/20 01:18 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
You referenced 3dz tools here and in the other thread. No point duplicating my response.

My offer is real with the caveat that the student will have to stand up and ask for the help.

3dz modeling is a very complex issue hence the accompanying docs will be complex. I'm sure you can understand that me writing these complex documents on the hope that someone will get interested is not the best use of my time.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4521166 - 05/17/20 02:02 AM Re: EAW Tool Pack [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Well, those 3 needed bits of info is what I can wrap my head around at the moment.
I'll be adding more tools as time allows and what I half heartedly determine seems of help.
So i have been asking for those 3 details per tool, in particular the 3dz folder in the tool pack I have provided. (it changes often at the moment, but I upload the changes asap, until there's more)

Just DL the pack and away you go, read the readmes that are there now, and provide where lacking, I assume its simple to provide 3 details per tool , as one (or many) knows this stuff better than I.
You may send them PM, or if its better to talk it out then post in open forum....doesn't matter to me, I just want to read and edit and filling if I can.
Maybe if the details are open others can join to say there part determineing if theres more info to be added to help newbies...like myself.

IDK thats the best I can do as I'm providing the tool pack and the model making doc as is right now.

EDIT:
Just uploaded 5-16-2020 version of the tool pack. If I remember i move alot around a few days ago and just got to uploading it now.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 05/17/20 03:39 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.