Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4520017 - 05/07/20 03:17 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A few final final comments... smile

Now that a few days have passed, I realized some mistakes I made, like leaving off songs like this...

NEIL YOUNG - OLD MAN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

Studio version...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAtDrFdomN4

...which really should have been in my Top 100.

Another oversight is that I mistakenly left off Metallica's "The Unforgiven" from "Metallica" (the Black Album) while including "The Unforgiven II" off "Reload". I'd choose the original over the later, but really should have included both.

++++++++++

So many favorite songs aren't listed because I almost always listen to them as part of an album versus a single, and this thread is mostly singles. This is why I added favorite albums on my first post (hidden under Spoiler box) and even that is very incomplete since it doesn't include Greatest Hits and Soundtracks. I may come back and add those later (including larger box set hits like "Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980") to make my thread complete.

Another note is that sometimes you have to supplement a Hits compilation. For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 (actually I purchased the complete deluxe "Flash Gordon" Soundtrack) from Amazon to complete it.

Same with "Gord's Gold" (Gordon Lightfoot's fantastic Hits compilation), released in 1975, the year that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. His song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was released the next year (1976) so again, another MP3 purchase to complete the set.

Sometimes I just repurchase the CD as with Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" as "When the Tigers Broke Free" wasn't included on the original (and I want all my Floyd on disc). But usually I just supplement with an MP3.

++++++++++

Also wanted to note that a CD collection can last forever if you...

A. Burn all your discs to a lossless format for no loss of data. A lossless file is CD quality and rather large, but hard drives are cheap whereas your CD collection was not.
B. Batch convert a copy of your lossless files to small compressed lossy MP3 for portability (I use an old version of iTunes on an offline PC).

If you burn your CDs straight to MP3 and then later something happens to your CDs, you've lost their quality. So always burn to lossless, and then batch covert a copy to MP3 (iTunes simply creates MP3 copies of lossless files burned from CD).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4520033 - 05/07/20 04:15 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 from Amazon to complete it.

Speaking of Queen, I just recently got through listening to all of their albums in their entirety and while I found some of the non-hit songs to be pretty good, most of them I found to be unremarkable and forgettable. In other words, the 2 CD greatest hits set I have is plenty for me. I guess I'm not a super hardcore Queen fan. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4520100 - 05/08/20 02:36 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 from Amazon to complete it.

Speaking of Queen, I just recently got through listening to all of their albums in their entirety and while I found some of the non-hit songs to be pretty good, most of them I found to be unremarkable and forgettable. In other words, the 2 CD greatest hits set I have is plenty for me. I guess I'm not a super hardcore Queen fan. biggrin

Yeah, lots of bands are like that or much worse, like many 80's hair bands. I might know two or three songs from each band, and sometimes only their one biggest hit! eek

As you noted, at least Queen has enough good songs to make a nice Hits compilation (from CDs in pic on previous post)...

Queen Greatest Hits
==========
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
Another One Bites The Dust
Killer Queen
Somebody To Love
Fat Bottomed Girls
Bicycle Race
You're My Best Friend
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Now I'm Here
Play The Game
Seven Seas Of Rhye
Body Language
Save Me
Don't Stop Me Now
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
I Want To Break Free

Classic Queen
==========
A Kind Of Magic
Bohemian Rhapsody
Under Pressure
Hammer To Fall
Stone Cold Crazy
One Year Of Love
Radio Ga Ga
I'm Going Slightly Mad
I Want It All
Tie Your Mother Down
The Miracle
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
One Vision
Keep Yourself Alive
Headlong
Who Wants To Live Forever
The Show Must Go On

The Game (* included on Hits above)
==========
Play The Game *
Dragon Attack
Another One Bites The Dust *
Need Your Loving Tonight
Crazy Little Thing Called Love *
Rock It (Prime Jive)
Don't Try Suicide
Sail Away Sweet Sister
Coming Soon
Save Me *
Dragon Attack (1991 Bonus Remix)

The non-hits "Dragon Attack" and "Don't Try Suicide" were popular at my roller rink, "Sail Away Sweet Sister" also one of my favorites.

Flash Gordon
==========
I have the MP3 Deluxe Edition...
Flash Gordon (Deluxe Edition)

++++++++++

I know that "A Night At The Opera" is also popular and I'm still waiting to hear that album played by the Black Jacket Symphony (Rock cover band with rotating musicians)...
https://blackjacketsymphony.com/

I know you're not interested in cover/tributes PM, but I take what I can get. smile They did a pretty good "Dark Side of the Moon" but not as good as the dedicated Brit Floyd tribute.

Albums they're currently playing are: Pink Floyd's "The Wall", Prince's "Purple Rain", Eagles' "Hotel California", Queen's "A Night at the Opera", The Beatles' "White Album" and Led Zeppelin's "Led Zeppelin IV".

They usually play an album in its entirety (1st half of performance), and then after an intermission, a 2nd half of the rest of the band's biggest hits. I'm wondering if "The Wall" takes up the entire show?

The sun is in the east
#4520116 - 05/08/20 10:28 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

As you noted, at least Queen has enough good songs to make a nice Hits compilation (from CDs in pic on previous post)...

Any band/artist that has enough great songs to fill up 2 CD's should feel very proud of their work. As you've alluded to before, the majority of bands/artists out there might have 2 or 3 songs at most that are really good and memorable and that's it.

Another example are the Rolling Stones. I have their "Forty Licks" greatest hits collection which is on 2 CD's and that has everything I like from them. I've listened to quite a few of their non-hits and it was the same thing I experienced with Queen's non-hits.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4520150 - 05/08/20 01:38 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, now you're touching on another good point...

"Forty Licks" is an excellent Hits compilations IMO, and also the bulk of my Stones collection. But you have to be careful with Hits packages as you sometimes get shorter versions of songs. IIRC, with "Forty Licks", the older 60's and 70's classics are good, it's mainly some songs from the late-70's to early 80's that are shortened versions ("Emotional Rescue", "Start Me Up" and "Miss You" come to mind). IMO, it's a good compromise, lots of songs on two CDs, except for one song which I had to repurchase...

Beast of Burden (Time)...
Forty Licks: 3:28
Album version: 4:25

One of my all-time favorite songs, I couldn't tolerate some of the missing guitar work in the shortened version.

I added "She's So Cold" and "Waiting for a Friend" to complete my Rolling Stones collection. I once had some of the full albums on 8-tracks from yard sales, but like you, the non-hits never grew on me. "Forty Licks" + 3 singles is enough for now.

Last edited by MarkG; 05/09/20 02:21 PM. Reason: correction

The sun is in the east
#4520156 - 05/08/20 02:16 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just wanted to add how badly I'm missing road trips during this COVID-19 lock down...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also missing my SimHQ cap which I lost in NYC. frown

The sun is in the east
#4520248 - 05/09/20 02:18 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wanted to make a correction, figured I'd do a complete listing of Forty Licks in the process for a couple of reasons:

- Show shortened songs in red.
- For any Stones (or Queen above) fans to comment on what they think might be missing in a comprehensive hits package.

Rolling Stones Forty Licks...

CD1
==========
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Last Time
Jumpin Jack Flash
You Can't Always Get What you Want
19th Nervous Breakdown
Under My Thumb
Not Fade Away
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby
Sympathy For The Devil
Mother's Little Helper
She's a Rainbow
Get Off My Cloud
Wild Horses
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Honky Tonk Women
It's All Over Now
Let's Spend The Night Together

CD2
==========
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Don't Stop
Happy
Angie
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Fool To Cry
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Keys To Your Love
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Stealing My Heart
Tumbling Dice
Undercover Of The Night
Emotional Rescue
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Losing My Touch

Added Singles
==========
Beast Of Burden (Album Version)
She's So Cold
Waiting On A Friend

The sun is in the east
#4520359 - 05/10/20 04:15 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
I have very little studio stuff from the Rolling Stones.
Some good songs, but sound a bit flat when compared to what they achieve on tour.
Anyway, nothing to add to your list, but maybe plenty that should be taken away. smile

For Queen, you really should check out 'Queen II', particularly the 'Black side'
For you youngsters who don't understand the concept of a side, it's the songs from 'Ogre Battle' to 'Seven Seas of Rhye'.

#4520411 - 05/11/20 01:56 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: mikew]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by mikew
Anyway, nothing to add to your list, but maybe plenty that should be taken away. smile

No doubt. smile The different strokes thing, sometimes with age and in our case probably being from different continents. And just plain preferences.

I've had family and friends looking through my CDs wondering how I can listen to X when I'm such a fan of Y, as if certain tastes or genres should be exclusive. I also knew someone who never missed an opportunity to tell me how much they thought Rush sucked (when Rush was relevant), mainly just trying to push my buttons. My response was always, "Hey, if everyone liked Rush then I'd never get tickets, or I'd be raped by the price!" biggrin

Originally Posted by mikew
For Queen, you really should check out 'Queen II', particularly the 'Black side'
For you youngsters who don't understand the concept of a side, it's the songs from 'Ogre Battle' to 'Seven Seas of Rhye'.

Will do. I did an Amazon sampling of "A Night At The Opera" just to see why this album was chosen by the show I mentioned above, sparking some interest. Will check this one out as well, thanks.

The sun is in the east
#4520443 - 05/11/20 11:32 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

No doubt. smile The different strokes thing, sometimes with age and in our case probably being from different continents. And just plain preferences.

Well said. I've never understood people who argue over music preferences. It is all subjective.

Now if you want to discuss which bands/artists have had a greater INFLUENCE on music then that is much less subjective.

#4520473 - 05/11/20 02:59 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
So true, PM. Don't know if it's so much arguing as attitudes like this...

Nicolas Cage kills the Rocket Man [English]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12_cVX2exw

...although you can take it a bit far... biggrin

Best car scene ever Tommy Boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLM6_rUp6NU

++++++++++

A cool comment on the studio version of Neil Young's "Old Man" referenced above...

"This song really must be listened to through headphones. Neil is a master of stereo. You have the 6 string on your right, the banjo and piano on the left, and his voice centered squarely in your brain."

tuner

The sun is in the east
#4520685 - 05/12/20 10:46 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm on Amazon reading reviews and checking out some recommended Queen deep cuts, when I realized there's another omission from "Forty Licks". Gotta also have this one (Stones' version of Beatlemania?)...

The Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEj8lUx0gwY

Studio version...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSRvcdlgSI

The sun is in the east
#4520726 - 05/13/20 11:07 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm on Amazon reading reviews and checking out some recommended Queen deep cuts, when I realized there's another omission from "Forty Licks". Gotta also have this one (Stones' version of Beatlemania?)...

It's really inexplicable why that song was left out of "Forty Licks". I don't think it was due to any copyright issue as was the case with "Flash" being omitted from the 2 CD Greatest Hits Queen set that I bought back in the 90's.

#4521660 - 05/20/20 09:33 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I just realized that "Please Come Home For Christmas" is misspelled as "Chrismas". This song was an Amazon MP3 purchase and if I purchased it with a misspelled title, it wouldn't be the first time. frown

Another spelling/organizational problem I've had over the years is that the slightest error in a song title can give you duplicate songs on a playlist without them being detected as duplicates. It almost always happens when letting whatever internet database automatically name my songs when ripping a CD. And if not misspelled, the title is often just plain wrong! Plus I don't need "(Remastered)" added to the title, ever! I burned my CDs years ago, so maybe the current automatic song labeling features are more accurate today. If you don't stay on top of this while manually making corrections when you find them, as well as keeping your singles and albums properly organized, you can wind up with a mess of a music library.

I'm going to fix "Chrismas" right now because it bugs me (pic and music library).

EDIT: Cumbersomely fixed with MS Paint (freaking stupid Ribbon). I stole the "t" from "Bringin' on the Heartbreak". smile

Last edited by MarkG; 05/20/20 10:06 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4524228 - 06/07/20 01:46 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
Bremont Offline
Bremont  Offline

#4527667 - 06/27/20 06:43 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
JonathanNzF Offline
JonathanNzF  Offline

I love them! and what do you say about their adolescence:?!

Last edited by JonathanNzF; 06/27/20 06:44 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.