Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 174 of 384 1 2 172 173 174 175 176 383 384
#4520149 - 05/08/20 01:37 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
And it doesn't have Nicolas Cage.

Cage has done a lot of crappy movies but Valley Girl is one of his bright spots in his career.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4520151 - 05/08/20 01:47 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Just finished the 4th season of Line Of Duty on Amazon Prime in Canada. Excellent UK cop/anti corruption show.

#4520152 - 05/08/20 01:54 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Just finished the 4th season of Line Of Duty on Amazon Prime in Canada. Excellent UK cop/anti corruption show.

I just looked at the cast list and noticed that both Polly Walker and Thandie Newton have appeared in some episodes. Walker was fantastic in both Rome and Caprica.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4520159 - 05/08/20 02:36 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Cage's best work is Leaving LV as the alcoholic.

[Linked Image]
#4520161 - 05/08/20 02:40 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

His Oscar win for that film is what made him an A list star for about 15 years or so. Then it was all downhill after that.

#4520178 - 05/08/20 04:58 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by WangoTango

I just looked at the cast list and noticed that both Polly Walker and Thandie Newton have appeared in some episodes. Walker was fantastic in both Rome and Caprica.

Thandie Newton has a huge role in Season 4. Very unlikable character.
Polly Walker has minor role in season 3.

#4520191 - 05/08/20 08:13 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA

I disagree . . . wink

"He explained to us that Edwina’s insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase.” – H.I.

His Oscar win for that film is what made him an A list star for about 15 years or so. Then it was all downhill after that.

I enjoyed a few of his post LLV movies . . .

Con Air

Face/Off

The Family Man

Matchstick Men

Last edited by David Kennard; 05/08/20 08:31 PM.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4520212 - 05/09/20 12:25 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Still going down the James Bonds film in order. Just watch On Her Majesty's Secret Service with the guy who only play Bond once.

There are folks who actually like it. I can't believe it!

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/the-best-bond-movie-of-all-time

https://filmschoolrejects.com/james-bond-lazenby-era/

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/23/on-her-majestys-secret-service-film-recap

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/movies/on-her-majestys-secret-service-james-bond-lazenby.html

Also how the heck does Blofeld not recognize Bond. They met 2 years earlier in Japan.

#4520215 - 05/09/20 12:55 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

There are folks who actually like it. I can't believe it!

What didn't you like about the movie?

I find it one of the most atmospheric Bond movies out there, and Lazenby does a decent job and I prefer him over Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig any day. It's just that he doesn't bring anything extra to the role like Moore did and just tries to mimic Connery's Bond, and copying the original was never going to work well

#4520216 - 05/09/20 01:08 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

It's too serious. It's a Bond film, not a lifetime romance movie. Bond gets married? That was never going to work in the movies after it if she was still around. Bond has very few one liners and the ones he had weren't funny. There were no cool gadgets. Lazenby didn't look like a tough cold spy with a license to kill.

I do have to say Diana Rigg was beautiful.

Onward to Diamonds Are Forever with Connery, the real Bond.

[Linked Image]
#4520285 - 05/09/20 08:54 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Continuing the James Bond films. Connery starting to look chubbly in Diamonds are Forever. Moore's first 2 Bond films Live and let die and the Man with the Golden Gun were not very good. They were written for him or for Connery? Now onward to Moore's 3rd Bond film: the Spy who loved Me. Barbara Bach looks weird. Her BIG eyes seem to be mispositioned on her face.

[Linked Image]
#4520292 - 05/09/20 10:59 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Ssnake]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Ssnake
Watching all the Bosch seasons on Amazon right now... Very solid cop thrillers. I like shows where the case needs a full season to be resolved...

Done with season six. The wife can't stand Titus Welliver for whatever reason, which is a pity since I had to watch it all without her.

I don't see a season stand out particularly except the first, because it was such a sad family story.

They are all solid throughout. More importantly, there's no appreciable decline in quality, so I'm looking forward to more seasons. They aren't exactly uplifting, though, but they don't make you want to slit your wrists like some Scandiavian Noir, so there's that. Bosch is very classical Noir in that he always gets to the truth, often to his regret, and rarely to justice. The drama isn't hyped up, at the same time you also get to see the BS regulations at work. The Wire was a bit better in that, as it added the component of limited budgets when it came to the question how much forensics or surveillance you were allowed to expend on a case - a factor that is usually swept under the rug. Yes, I get it. Thrillers aren't supposed to be accounting lessons. Still, I think showing all the adversity that is thrown at the police without making them look pathetic and impotent, or justifying illegitimate tactics "to get a conviction", makes you appreciate their work more.

#4520327 - 05/10/20 10:49 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Was watching Taken Season 2 last night and got to episode 6 and Mills comes to Belgium for a kidnapping case much excited pointing at the screen when they go to a derelict house "We know that house..." we looked at it as one to buy just before we bought the house we now live in, it was empty and derelict 13 years ago when we looked at it and it is still the same today empty and fenced off. It was a little bigger than we wanted and required too much work done for the price that was being asked. It was originally built as the directors house for one of the local factories, then it was taken over by the tax office and they stayed there for a few years until they got a purpose built office block, when they moved out it has been empty ever since.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4520432 - 05/11/20 10:42 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Moore's first 2 Bond films Live and let die and the Man with the Golden Gun were not very good. .

At least for me, the majority of the Roger Moore films have not aged well due to the campy "tongue in cheek" tone that you'll see in varying degrees. There are so many scenes I can remember watching as a kid that I loved but now I find them to be cringe inducing.

Actually, what happened to me with the Moore Bond films is very similar to what happened to me with the original Star Wars movies. You really don't notice the campy acting until you watch those movies again as an adult.

#4520517 - 05/11/20 05:22 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
I've been dusting off more movies I haven't seen in a while. This time Mel Brooks' Silent Movie. It's OK, definitely not as good as Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs. I still got a fair few laughs out of it.
If you're going to watch a silent movie, you'd really be better off watching a classic Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin film.

As for On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it's a good film. Just take it on it's own, pretend he's not James Bond and it's a generic spy movie. Although, "generic spy movie" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

#4520529 - 05/11/20 06:30 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I finished Season 5 of "Better Call Saul."

Darnit if the whole show wasn't as good as this season, but it was not. Shame. I want more--and this is the first time I think watching the show where I wanted more. I thought about it overnight and concluded that...

a) There are multiple perspectives, finally, that were interesting. The season wasn't just Jimmy/Kim, it was Jimmy/Kim/Salamanca/Fring with real stakes. Not a stupid building project season that nobody cared about.

b) Real, building stakes with lasting consequences.

c) Shyster Jimmy

d) Breaking Bad

I want to watch season six now, but we can't. And I'm sad that six will be the last, which I can't believe I'm saying. I loved Breaking Bad, and season 5 was full of it.

Tonight I start season 3 of "Westworld." Skeptical, but I'll give it a shot. After that, I dunno... Rome? Ray Donovan? Fringe? I only learned of the former two in the last week, but they sound interesting. I prefer imperfect characters who have vices and flaws.

#4520535 - 05/11/20 06:43 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I

Tonight I start season 3 of "Westworld." Skeptical, but I'll give it a shot.

My few recommendations and thoughts:

1. Be ready to see a VERY different kind of Westworld. It's just shy of a total reinvention.

2. The season is only 8 episodes and I believe that you will like the "pay off" at the end if you decide to stick around that long.

3. William "The Man in Black" has one of the best written and shocking scenes I've ever seen in any series. You'll know it when you see it.

#4520537 - 05/11/20 06:51 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I have 2 episodes of Westworld to watch. I will get to them. In this lifetime or the next.

Watched Moore's the Spy who loved Me and Moonraker yesterday. One was great, other one just alright and close to being silly. They wanted to jump on the Star Wars craze. Next: For your eyes Only.

The premise for "Into the Night" is quite moronic.

Only one episode left to watch. It had a few good moments and it also had many parts that made me scream you idiots at both the shows characters and writers.

#4520538 - 05/11/20 06:59 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

They wanted to jump on the Star Wars craze. .

Absolutely and there are recorded interviews you can look up with the producers where they even admitted as much. ALL of the major studios at the time were trying to capitalize on the success of Star Wars. This included TV as well since the original Battlestar Galactica was also made in response to the massive success of Star Wars. Just look at Starbuck and Apollo. You can clearly see how they were inspired by Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.

#4520541 - 05/11/20 07:42 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
The one good thing that came out of the Star Wars craze was Buck Rogers' tasty Wilma, a.k.a. Erin Gray.

Page 174 of 384 1 2 172 173 174 175 176 383 384

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.