Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4519672 - 05/05/20 04:14 PM Water Mods [Mod 2 subtheaters available]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Description

These mods replace cfs3hyp.zip and cfs3hyl.zip. They add water (rivers, lakes, etc.) and remove shorelines (i.e. shoreline texture won't be displayed anymore but the sea is still there).

I've split the whole work into 2 different levels of resolution:

1) Only waterbeds of the front lines, i.e. main water areas or in other words small rivers won't be displayed. This mod covers the full frontline.
2) Waterbeds plus waterways (of France), i.e. most water areas are there underneath your plane. This mod doesn't exist as a whole anymore and has been replaced by sub-theater mods that are less hardware demanding.

Both versions include the flood caused (and maintained during the war) by the Belgians and the French in 1914 to stop the German advance. I've simulated the flood in Global Mapper using 1 arc-sec elevation data. The result is pretty close to what one can find on maps made during the war. The flood extends from Nieuport on the north to Dixmude on the south.

Mod 1 vs Mod 2 comparison

Here you can see my working data and the actual difference in terms of land coverage.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Mod 2 Subtheaters: (a) Yser-Somme, (b) Aisne-Velse, (c) Meuse-Moselle, (d) Bas & Haut Rhin

Here you can see the land coverage of Mod 2 sub-theaters

(a) [Linked Image] (b) [Linked Image] (c) [Linked Image] (d) [Linked Image]

Code

'XJ Mod 2' to 'WOFF Sector' approximate correspondence table
Yser - Somme    = WOFF Flanders
Aisne - Velse   = WOFF Marne
Meuse - Moselle = WOFF Verdun
Bas-Haut - Rhin = WOFF Alsace

Screenshot: The Somme River (Mod 1)*

[Linked Image]

Content

The mods consist of the following files

Code
/terrain

cfs3hyp.zip 
cfs3hyp.zx

/terrain2

cfs3hyl.zip
cfs3hyl.zx

The New Water mods replace each of these files only. No changes are made towards other files of the game. Each mod (v1.00 and v2.00) consists of a set of these files but delivers a different level of resolution.

Mod sizes range from 50 to 60Mb. For comparison, stock CFS3 files account for 55.6Mb.

Installation

Choose Mod 1 if you only want major water areas. This would be a one-time install. However, if you want more water-shapes, you must choose among sub-theaters of Mod 2, the one that corresponds to the area you need in-game.

Use JSGME after having placed the mod root folder in the MODS folder.

Use at your own risk. wink

Links

Code
- Mod 1) [WOFF - XJ3 - Total Water 1.10 -------------- by Xavier Jouve] : https://mega.nz/file/JmIVzIAT#2AbG84vwbQTJ1KpNDxDRYI6JWeEzcLTwX4cB-cDWghQ (54.2Mb archived, 60.5Mb uncompressed)
- Mod 2) [WOFF - XJ3 - Total Water 2.00 -------------- by Xavier Jouve] : from north to south
-- Yser - Somme (2.1.01)    : https://mega.nz/file/YuJXAChS#_wsFO7gCr6MiuKT52hMU4ALmjP9fvaA03WlegU3ufYE (43.8Mb archived, 50.3Mb uncompressed)
-- Aisne - Velse (2.2.01)   : https://mega.nz/file/gzQl0YxI#wuzOA6An49WwyiAjC6z92p6LjhemiJmepD5vtkceOcc (43.7Mb archived, 50.3Mb uncompressed)
-- Meuse - Moselle (2.3.00) : https://mega.nz/file/dyAVzILb#ncM_cQyC_hPw0Vzj7KAuD3AnSnwBwdxukDat5zHYbgM (43.6Mb archived, 47.1Mb uncompressed)
-- Bas-Haut - Rhin (2.4.00) : https://mega.nz/file/tuBn1a5J#Ug2YG3_9K9jeS2y9fRYwbQFWBaSqd5zjlthum-5AtUw (53.3Mb archived, 46.9Mb uncompressed) 

Post Scriptum
1) You can use only one mod at a time ^^
2) Be aware that water can appear everywhere; on your favorite airfield for example... For an ideal use of this mod, a work on global_layer is required
3) Compatibility with my other mods is good. However, even with my topology mods, water fitting is not 100% perfect

Last edited by xjouve; 12/18/21 06:56 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519679 - 05/05/20 05:24 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
dude, your work is good.

Now if you could also figure a way to make the trenches look better then WOFF will be in heaven

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4519687 - 05/05/20 05:58 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks! I concur that would nice smile

Updated link; previous one was wrong sorry. Shame on me

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519734 - 05/05/20 10:24 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Wow, that looks awesome in the pic's. Any idea how much more stress the 'whole of France' version puts on a typical computer system versus the small version?

I will give it a try in the next few days. Cheers!!

#4519741 - 05/05/20 11:21 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

1st of all thank you Xav for your mods,there excellent..Flying with Jasta 15 from Habsheim in the Alsace region,I have fps drops from 60 to around 40-45 Xav.
I also see the water textures as shown in the circles also is it me or are my roads now rivers biggrin Thanks again for your mods. Hope these pics may help in any way?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4519758 - 05/06/20 05:08 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Ade, that seems you were probably flying over water waste rcirculation facility.

#4519760 - 05/06/20 06:04 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Finally had some time to tinker with the latest patches - the watermap ver. 2.0 gives some "cascading" oddities on my AMD rig and a real hit on fps - dropping from about the 120s to about 50s or so - big drop - so I will set it aside for now (I'm sure there will be further refinements to it).

Von S

Attached Files watermap.jpg

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4519765 - 05/06/20 07:33 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: VonS]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Adger
1st of all thank you Xav for your mods,there excellent..Flying with Jasta 15 from Habsheim in the Alsace region,I have fps drops from 60 to around 40-45 Xav.
I also see the water textures as shown in the circles also is it me or are my roads now rivers biggrin Thanks again for your mods. Hope these pics may help in any way?

JJJ65 is right, that's a water waste facility. smile

Regarding straight line rivers, I think what you see are canals rather than roads turned into rivers. If you can provide me with coordinates, I can check more precisely.

Originally Posted by VonS
Finally had some time to tinker with the latest patches - the watermap ver. 2.0 gives some "cascading" oddities on my AMD rig and a real hit on fps - dropping from about the 120s to about 50s or so - big drop - so I will set it aside for now (I'm sure there will be further refinements to it).

Von S

I'm afraid this problem comes from the fact that CFS3 rivers are 'flat' (and thus, unfortunately the more variated the elevation data for the terrain, the more oddities to be observed with rivers). I think there is a way to make them fitting better on the ground by using vector files (in vector folder smile ) but I got no luck so far with them.

Regarding FPS impact caused by mod 2, I may release smaller water mods of the same kind for specific regions.

I initially created 8 subtheaters, from north to south: Yser river, Somme river, Aisne river, Velse river, Meuse river, Moselle river, Bas Rhin and Haut Rhin. I think that they can be used to relax FPS stress.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 05/06/20 07:35 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519783 - 05/06/20 11:35 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I tried v.2 and this is the result.... lots of new, but very blue rivers

Attached Files river.jpg
Last edited by lederhosen; 05/06/20 11:36 AM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4519790 - 05/06/20 11:56 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

@Jara and Xav...Cheers for the heads up guys, Il grab the coordinates when I'm at my PC later Xav. Cheers.

We will remember them.
#4519798 - 05/06/20 12:18 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: Adger]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by lederhosen
I tried v.2 and this is the result.... lots of new, but very blue rivers

Shaders! I guess.

May I suggest you to remove your Panama Red's or Ankor's mod please, and then see how it goes? (pure guess on my side ^^)

Regarding the color of water, using Gecko's Mod is a very good option https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohfor...on-Water-Colors?p=1207162&viewfull=1

Last edited by xjouve; 05/06/20 12:21 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519871 - 05/06/20 05:41 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by xjouve

Regarding FPS impact caused by mod 2, I may release smaller water mods of the same kind for specific regions.

I initially created 8 subtheaters, from north to south: Yser river, Somme river, Aisne river, Velse river, Meuse river, Moselle river, Bas Rhin and Haut Rhin. I think that they can be used to relax FPS stress.

The subtheaters idea sounds excellent - I look forward to newer developments with these mods, also with the latest airfields position replacement mod that will allow new global layer compatibility with JJJ's historically populated airfields. Great stuff all round.

Von S

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4519875 - 05/06/20 06:06 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
I agree. Great stuff. I'd like to see a mod that replaces all roads and RR tacks/stations as well . Those sharp angles need to smoothen out a bit. And would be extremely useful with navigation.

#4519914 - 05/06/20 10:01 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

As promised XAV the Coordinates are ..N47'46'52 E07'24'39 Closest airfield is Habsheim, thank you.

We will remember them.
#4519943 - 05/07/20 03:41 AM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
So far this is looking fantastic. My only concern is how its going to effect the performance of the game engine, and how it will shift everything that's been made thus far. Everything about WOFF is built around the data and positioning that's already in the game. Will this be messed up causing all kinds of wired stuff like missing dromes, rivers passing though villages... etc.. etc.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4520284 - 05/09/20 08:46 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @xjouve,

now I have tested your 2 water-mods. The big one decreased my FPS too much, the smaller one a few (it was okay).
After the test I thought "Great, but … something is wrong."

After a cup of coffee I knew it.
The rivers / waters are all too visible. There are 2 reasons in my opinion.
1: The bright blue you can see even with much miles distant. Rivers / waters on the country are not blue normally, but more a combination of grey, brown and green. So small creeks and medium-sized rivers merge with the environment. It's very difficult to see them from altitude.
2: The small and medium-sized rivers in your mod are quite bride in my eyes. Small rivers and creeks are more narrow and … don't forget the trees on the left and right side of the small river / creek, which grow with their trree-limbs over the water in reality.

What does it mean from the perspective of a pilot? He has speed and altitude. Result is, he recognizes only the bigger rivers / waters and can only use these for visual navigation.
So let me make a humble recommendation: Develop only the bigger and big rivers / waters. It is more realistic for visual flight and navigation, better for stabil FPS and ... perhaps less work for you!

Greetings!

Last edited by Becker01; 05/09/20 09:08 PM.
#4520342 - 05/10/20 01:53 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: Becker01]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by Adger
As promised XAV the Coordinates are ..N47'46'52 E07'24'39 Closest airfield is Habsheim, thank you.

Water treatment facility! ^^ I'll remove it.

Originally Posted by OvStachel
So far this is looking fantastic. My only concern is how its going to effect the performance of the game engine, and how it will shift everything that's been made thus far. Everything about WOFF is built around the data and positioning that's already in the game. Will this be messed up causing all kinds of wired stuff like missing dromes, rivers passing though villages... etc.. etc.

AFAIK, v1.00 doesn't cause too much FPS drop. Regarding v2.00, it is probably not worth using at the moment (I mean with contemporary computers), so I'll upload my subtheater mods.

You won't see any airfield disapearing, however, of course you could see rivers crossing villages (which is something that happens in real life BTW). Apart from that, rivers and other water areas might not fit very well with stock CFS3 landcover, which is not accurate.

Originally Posted by Becker01
Hallo @xjouve,

now I have tested your 2 water-mods. The big one decreased my FPS too much, the smaller one a few (it was okay).
After the test I thought "Great, but … something is wrong."

After a cup of coffee I knew it.
The rivers / waters are all too visible. There are 2 reasons in my opinion.
1: The bright blue you can see even with much miles distant. Rivers / waters on the country are not blue normally, but more a combination of grey, brown and green. So small creeks and medium-sized rivers merge with the environment. It's very difficult to see them from altitude.
2: The small and medium-sized rivers in your mod are quite bride in my eyes. Small rivers and creeks are more narrow and … don't forget the trees on the left and right side of the small river / creek, which grow with their trree-limbs over the water in reality.

What does it mean from the perspective of a pilot? He has speed and altitude. Result is, he recognizes only the bigger rivers / waters and can only use these for visual navigation.
So let me make a humble recommendation: Develop only the bigger and big rivers / waters. It is more realistic for visual flight and navigation, better for stabil FPS and ... perhaps less work for you!

Greetings!

1) Oh yes I know. The color of water is set by another file that is called cfs3h2o.dds. I haven't included a modded one. I can suggest that you try Gecko's great mod https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohfor...on-Water-Colors?p=1207162&viewfull=1
2) What you see is accurate OSM data https://download.geofabrik.de/europe/france.html Actually, removing many shapes would be a massive job (however, removing shapes of water areas that didn't exist by the time of the war could be easily done as they are not too many). In mod v1.00 you only have major water areas, it seems me okay. Regarding trees, I totally agree. That's why I started adding trees over waterways in my landcover mods.

smile

Last edited by xjouve; 05/10/20 02:22 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4520360 - 05/10/20 04:16 PM Re: New Water mods [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

v1.10
- Removed most of Canal du Nord (not yet in service in 1914) - Flanders region in WOFF
- Removed water treatment facility near Habsheim - Alsace region in WOFF
- Removed Lac d'Aillette (put in service 1983) - Marne region in WOFF
- Added Bassin de Monampteuil (key navigation point for pilots, named 'réservoir') - Marne region in WOFF

Last edited by xjouve; 05/10/20 04:17 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4520398 - 05/10/20 11:41 PM Re: New Water mods [v1.10 available] [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks Xav i still have small fps drops but your mod definitely does add to the WOFF environment ..Thank you (Using 1.10)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We will remember them.
#4520408 - 05/11/20 01:26 AM Re: New Water mods [v1.10 available] [Re: xjouve]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I just had my first flight with the water mod 1.10 version installed. This shows great potential! The rivers have a much more natural shape and path, and are much easier to navigate with (can be seen from farther away and provide many more unique landmarks).

I agree that the water colours could use some tweaking, and the wavy texture gave me some funny zebra strip effects at certain points, but this is minor stuff.

Combined with the XJ0-Terrain (1 arc-sec hi) 2.01 topographic mod I am getting a pretty noticeable FPS hit (down to 29-35 fps from 60 with no mods), but I seem to be the only one getting this.

All-in-all, a very good start and I hope you carry on developing it!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.