Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4519243 - 05/03/20 12:44 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by xjouve
I might have done it too quickly. Could you please tell me the date and the location?

January 1918, Verdun sector.

#4519248 - 05/03/20 01:44 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I see the problem. I'll try to find a solution ASAP. smile

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519271 - 05/03/20 03:53 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Added a link to the revised version. You should get proper frontlines over forests.

Last edited by xjouve; 05/03/20 03:56 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519316 - 05/03/20 09:08 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Looks very interesting! smile

2) Be aware that all stock cities will disappeared, their scenery buildings will be orphans in the middle of nowhere, and the frontlines will be displayed differently.

Does that mean there will be buildings just sitting out in the middle of nowhere? Am I interpreting that correctly?
Also, would this affect flight assigns (or perceived assignments) in anyway since the land cover you use doesn't exactly line up with the game's? *confused*

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4519370 - 05/04/20 09:10 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: Redwolf]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by Redwolf
Looks very interesting! smile

2) Be aware that all stock cities will disappeared, their scenery buildings will be orphans in the middle of nowhere, and the frontlines will be displayed differently.

Does that mean there will be buildings just sitting out in the middle of nowhere? Am I interpreting that correctly?
Also, would this affect flight assigns (or perceived assignments) in anyway since the land cover you use doesn't exactly line up with the game's? *confused*

Hi,

Regarding buildings, it actually concerns only Ypres Cloth Hall, Amiens Cathedral and Albert Cathedral (well, the Basilica to be precise) which aren't correctly located. In a less significant way, this applies also for both Fort de Vaux and Fort de Douaumont. I've already relocated each of them along with the correct altitude in global layer, but I will probably make it available only after more modifications as I have prepared a list of 63 forts to be added. But it seems like more time consuming than I initially thought.

Regarding flight assigns, you may experience some differences indeed, especially passing Reims down south to Nancy/Lunéville -I guess-, because WOFF frontlines are sometimes 13.5km too far to the south in that area. Frontlines need to be relocated, I'll do it later I think.

Last edited by xjouve; 05/04/20 09:12 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519549 - 05/04/20 10:57 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I've finally relocated Forts de Vaux and Douaumont, plus both cathedral of Amiens and cathedral of Albert, and also Cloth Hall of Ypres. They all fit well with the land cover mod now.
I added 63 forts as well; all with correct coordinates, altitude, and to a degree, angle. I used WOFF Douaumont shape, which is good. Actually, forts were all different, but it's okay for now.

[Linked Image]

Code
Fort de Manonviller
Fort de Souville
Fort de Tavannes
Fort de Moulainville
Fort du Rozelier
Fort d'Haudainville
Fort de Belrupt
Fort de Belleville
Fort de St-Michel
Fort de la Chaume
Fort de Regret
Fort des Sartelles
Fort de Vacherauville
Fort de Marre
Fort de Bois Bourrus
Fort de Choisel
Fort de Dugny
Fort de Landrecourt
Fort de Genicourt
Fort de Liouville
Fort de Gironville
Fort de Jouy-sous-les-Cotes
Fort du Camp des Romains
Fort de Troyon
Fort des Paroches
Fort de Montbre
Fort de la Pompelle
Fort de Nogent-l'Abbesse
Fort de Witry-les-Reims
Fort de Brimont
Fort de Fresnes
Fort de St-Thierry
Reduit de Chenay
Ouvrage de la Vigie-de-Berru
Batterie de Loivre
Batterie du Cran-de-Brimont
Fort de la Malmaison
Fort de Conde
Fort de Seclin
Fort de Sainghin
Fort du Vert-Galant
Fort d'Englos
Fort de Mons-en-Baroeuil
Fort de Bondues
Fort de Premesque
Fort de Laniscour
Fort de Montberault
Batterie des Bruyeres
Fort de Liez
Fort Mayot
Fort de Vendeuil
Fort des Dunes
Batterie de Zuydcoote
Fort du Parmont
Fort de Rupt
Fort de Giromagny
Fort de Chateau-Lambert
Fort de Servance
Fort de Roppe,
Fort des Hautes-Perches
Fort des Basses-Perches
Fort de Vezelois
Fort du Bois d'Oye

Link to this Global Layer mod (v1.00): https://mega.nz/file/BuIlXIyT#9UFbUxUm5o3uv63b28eUCNDhWgusGE40xgZXvwjxiq0

I've also updated the lite version of the land cover mod to better integrate forts (v1.032): https://mega.nz/file/p7Z1iQSa#fu6YDrZrNFVGphBudvFH4qa3mlE8nIxyQfGUSljTwkM

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519564 - 05/05/20 12:33 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Xjoyve

I would like to suggest you PM RAF_Louvert regarding the forts. He has a number of fort mods which might be impacted. He will likely need your data to correct his mods.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4519585 - 05/05/20 05:20 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: xjouve]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
My apology for hacking this thread, but IMPORTANT NOTICE for users of Realistically populated airfields mod - Global Layer mod by Xavier Jouve is fully incompatible with this mod because it overwrites all global layers and libraries. Never use both mods simultaneously!

#4519588 - 05/05/20 07:53 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: JJJ65]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Indeed, my mod is not compatible with any other global layer mod, just like any other global layer mod among them. smile That's why I decided not to include it into the land cover mod, so that anyone can use the land cover mod and stock global layers or another global layer mod.

The fact that I added forts is not relevant, even with relocation of WOFF stock elements, the mod won't be more compatible with other mods of this kind. Actually, the mod is compatible with WOFF since I used stock WOFF global layers to work.

What I can do is to provide with raw data to be used by others if they want it.

Last edited by xjouve; 05/05/20 08:08 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4519629 - 05/05/20 12:45 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Xav, I applaud your efforts and the new waterways and lakes and such are a wonderful addition. However, the new populated cities, towns, and villages I am finding much too visually rough. I realize this is a WIP, so are you planning on finding a way to blend these into the landscape in a more organic fashion? I dearly love how the stock WOFF landscape flows together. I realize the devs sacrificed some accuracy for the sake of artistry to accomplish this, but that is one of things that gives this sim such a great atmospheric feel.

Keep up the stellar work, it is much appreciated.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4519761 - 05/06/20 06:10 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Landcover mod ver. 1.032, in contrast to the ver. 2.0 water map - works beautifully on my AMD rig - no hit to fps whatsoever, and fits really well with the terrain map improvements too (was using the super-high terrain improvement patch and landcover ver. 1.032 in my test, by the way). Couple of representative pics. below - the landcover mod works fine, as does the improved mesh map, with JJJ's historically populated mod. for 'dromes too - didn't notice any oddities. (Will avoid installing that global patch thingy mod for now since, as mentioned by JJJ in another thread, it clashes with the historical airfields mods.)

I look forward to further refinements with the landcover mod patch, and the water patch - I like the added variety of the building layouts, although I did spot one or two "urbanized/streets patches" with no buildings present.

Von S

Attached Files landcover1.jpglandcover2.jpg

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4520117 - 05/08/20 10:32 AM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: VonS]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Xav, I applaud your efforts and the new waterways and lakes and such are a wonderful addition. However, the new populated cities, towns, and villages I am finding much too visually rough. I realize this is a WIP, so are you planning on finding a way to blend these into the landscape in a more organic fashion? I dearly love how the stock WOFF landscape flows together. I realize the devs sacrificed some accuracy for the sake of artistry to accomplish this, but that is one of things that gives this sim such a great atmospheric feel.

Keep up the stellar work, it is much appreciated.

Lou

Thanks for the kind words! I do know how much you like artistry, your work on textures is amazing. However, I'm trying to reach as much accuracy as possible regarding land coverage, disregarding visual beauty at the moment. Anyway, as you have certainly understood, I didn't make any change neither to stock textures nor to WOFF textures. I'm just using what's available. In fact, CFS3/WOFF hasn't been built to display a great deal of details (little villages, etc.), but only big cities / hot spots there and there. As a matter of taste (really a personal feeling, no disrespect to others), the atmosphere that I like is the one that mimics what I can read in CR and squadron diaries: not a fancy everyday dogfights narrative with flashy colors and stuff (like in most post war books), but 90% of the time it's only about "I've been to there, flying over there and there, I eventually saw x EA away above there, etc.". For me a landscape without accurately located villages and rivers doesn't mean anything, beautiful or not. smile As an illustration, I 've taken Spa26 diary, opened it randomly and there it is: first days of July 1917. Let me translate.

Spad. 380 Sergent Prou.
5h10 to 6h45

Low atltitude patrol over all the sector (1200 to 850m). At 5h30, 2 huns far way high over their side, turn in a hole (?), don't come over the lines.

Spad. 282 SLt Letourneau
5h5 to 6h?

Low atltitude patrol 800 to 1000m over the sector. Come back because of the rain. NTR.
- Reminder of the 27th: 5 flights of 5min - test of engine

-------------------------------
Saturday 2 July

S. 1744. S/Lt Dumèmes
15 minutes
1000m

Flew back the S. 1744 (...)

Spad 402 Reminder of the 1st. Sgt Barres
18h10 - 19h30
4500m

Patrol over all the front
7h10 head on for attacking 2 scouts
north of Réservoir (NB Pargny-Fillain - Chemin des Dames). My engine
stuck me, obliged to go back

1st July
Spad 1042 Sgt Prou
18h10 - 19h55

Patrol over all the sector
Saw 5 EA far away
over their side at 18h45

Tuesday 3 July

Spad 1602 Sergent Dedieu
8h30 - 9h30

Low altitude patrol
Heurtebise (NB farm) - Berry-au-Bac NTR

Spad 1210
1h30

S/Lt Bucquet (?) aircraft of Sgt Dumèmes.

Thursday 4 July

Spad 1740 S/Lt Letourneau
8h30 - 9h29(?)

Low altitude patrol Berry-au-Bac - Heurtebise (NB farm) NTR

Spad 1602 S/lt Dedieu
Spad 1913 S/Lt Jeronez (?)
18h30 - 20h30

7h18 - saw an EA heading down as
being shot, was part of a group of three
over Martigny - Courpierre
8h 6 scouts 4000m between Laon and the drachens

Sp. 282 S/lt Letourneau
18h30 - 20h30

19h - Saw 2 two-seaters flying low N of Berry-au-Bac
they are heading full speed to the lines
but seeing white shell bursts surrounding us
they are going back
20h20 - Saw 3 scouts 3560 N of Craonne.

S. 1210 S/Lt Dumèmes
19h50 - 20h50
2000m

Low altitude patrol Brimont - Heurtebise (farm)
No artillery spotting hun plane
4 scouts over the drachens at 4000m S of Laon
Very annoying mist

[Linked Image]

That being said. At the moment the texture below is much more employed than before, and it clearly doesn't give something that is visually acceptable. It looks oversized to me and needs redesign. Trenches texture too. Nevertheless, I'm not good at texture modding.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by VonS
I like the added variety of the building layouts, although I did spot one or two "urbanized/streets patches" with no buildings present.

I saw that as well. I have to ask OBD about that. It seems like edges of each terrain texture is not diplaying objects (trees, buildings, etc.) smile

Last edited by xjouve; 05/08/20 12:55 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4520137 - 05/08/20 01:00 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.032 available] [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Xav, I am thrilled to be seeing accurate rivers and water, as well as all the many little villages and hamlets, but I want those and the artistic blending too - I want it all! biggrin I also love reading the old pilot's notes and diaries and then trying to fly in the sim where they flew in RL, and see what they saw. To aid in reaching that end, let me know when you have things to the point where a few different village and blending tiles will help to tie things together more seamlessly and I'll see what I can come up with for you. Also, is there a way to have those little villages not have the big city apartment buildings in them? Is that something that is determined by the landscape tile or by how things are assigned in the files you are manipulating?

Cheers,

Lou

#4520145 - 05/08/20 01:29 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
That is so bizarre! frown

I've uploaded v1.03, which consists in 2x smaller landclass files. I've given it a try, and to my surprise, result is not too bad. So, I guess this version could be an alternative in case of memory problems.

I can confirm that the larger version 1.02 works when direct file overwrite is used. It does not work via jsgme for me.

#4520154 - 05/08/20 02:01 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: orbyxP]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Xav, I am thrilled to be seeing accurate rivers and water, as well as all the many little villages and hamlets, but I want those and the artistic blending too - I want it all! biggrin I also love reading the old pilot's notes and diaries and then trying to fly in the sim where they flew in RL, and see what they saw. To aid in reaching that end, let me know when you have things to the point where a few different village and blending tiles will help to tie things together more seamlessly and I'll see what I can come up with for you. Also, is there a way to have those little villages not have the big city apartment buildings in them? Is that something that is determined by the landscape tile or by how things are assigned in the files you are manipulating?

Cheers,

Lou

Lou, I second you, that would be great! ^^

Well, for making the 2GIS palette and thus the only landcover mod available so far, I linked color 234:230:210 RGB (i.e., "urban areas" in 2GIS) to medium cities landclass in WOFF. The corresponding texture set brings appartments, which is indeed okay for real cities but not for villages indeed. I concur. So, for future developement I'm planning on applying a new layer on top of actual one, with only cities above a significant size shown in another color (I'll change color assignments). So that, real cities will have appartment buildings and villages, only houses. smile That being said, I'm not sure that I like the way villages are displayed by the game vanilla textures. It has to be tested.

Originally Posted by orbyxP
That is so bizarre! frown

I've uploaded v1.03, which consists in 2x smaller landclass files. I've given it a try, and to my surprise, result is not too bad. So, I guess this version could be an alternative in case of memory problems.

I can confirm that the larger version 1.02 works when direct file overwrite is used. It does not work via jsgme for me.

Oh I see. Very interesting. I've to try it

Last edited by xjouve; 05/08/20 02:31 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4520275 - 05/09/20 07:23 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

XJ

I have your XJ10, XJ11, XJ13,XJ14 mods installed. Global, Land Cover, Total Water and Terrain.

Can I assume that they all work properly together? One doesn't cancel the other etc.?

#4520283 - 05/09/20 08:43 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
I would just point out that the landscape of a century ago is very different than the one we see today. Industrial estates, ballooning cities, towns, and villages, and modern agriculture have replaced what was then a very rural intricate landscape, and eaten up large chunks of countryside. That must be taken into account when using modern satellite imagery and maps.
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4520339 - 05/10/20 01:28 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: Shredward]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by cptroyce

Can I assume that they all work properly together?

Yes. Each one consists in different files. smile

Originally Posted by Shredward
I would just point out that the landscape of a century ago is very different than the one we see today. Industrial estates, ballooning cities, towns, and villages, and modern agriculture have replaced what was then a very rural intricate landscape, and eaten up large chunks of countryside. That must be taken into account when using modern satellite imagery and maps.

Indeed, changes are real and it would be very hard to get something very accurate. However, I don't think agriculture has really changed (regarding land occupation), and in northern france apart from big cities, urban areas have not changed too much. You may wish to read my reply to Becker https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4519220/re-new-landcover-mods#Post4519220

I think that the ideal way to make it better would be to work from maps of that period. Unfortunately, I had tons of Etat Major maps 10+ years ago, but they appear to have gone with an old hard drive.

Last edited by xjouve; 05/10/20 01:31 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4520362 - 05/10/20 04:56 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

I don't think agriculture has really changed (regarding land occupation), and in northern france apart from big cities, urban areas have not changed too much.

Enjoying the technical posts gents' - I suppose the only real change is the movement from hand plowing (still typical during the WWI period), and the occasional steam tractor - to diesel tractors and more fancy plowing methods. Ox plowing would have gone by the wayside already by the early 19th cent. approx. - so horse plowing would have been "de rigueur" as late as the 30s/40s of the 20th cent.

I'm not asking that OBD simulate such details - simply commenting on these stimulating posts. biggrin

Happy flying and tilling,
Von S

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4520803 - 05/13/20 11:16 PM Re: New Landcover Mods [v1.02 available] [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Added first release of CLC version. Actually, I added a bit more to it. smile

Best Regards,
Xav.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.