Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4519387 - 05/04/20 11:46 AM Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I grabbed this as a cheapie kit at the local to do after the fairly long build on the Skyraider. I wanted something i could just knock out...but then thought..maybe i can compliment it with a D9 and do them both as JV44 in a diorama! The JV44 doras are a great looking paint scheme with the red and white underbellies and fuselage inscriptions... so i bolted off back down to the shop and picked up a D9. I was heading to a mates property for a four day chill session on the weekend, smoking briskets, beers, hectares of bush and clear skies...but had a few days up my sleeve to get cracking on the 262.

The kit really is as basic as it gets and nearly fell together.

[Linked Image]

Probably the most boring of 262 schemes but one that i have hardly seen done around the net, more importantly it's a JV44 scheme.

[Linked Image]

The cockpit is very plain but since i have been flying this rig a lot lately in IL2 Great Battles it was really familar and nice to do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The nose wheel unit incorporates this lead chunk to keep her front heavy which is awesome. The nose is going to closed so i didn't bother detailing or doing any work in the gun bay.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of hours in and most of it is going together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Four colours needed for the camo. Vallejo RLM 78 for the fuselages sides and underneath and the two Tamiya colours mixed 1:1 with white respectively for the RLM82 and 83 top coat. First colour is the 82 with the blue already done.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RLM83 mix going on. I was going to soft edge the camo after i had taped it but it grew on me so i left it as is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The fuselage got a light hit of blue to tidy it up and to sort out the wingroots as well as touch up some other various areas, the obvious being my 'underspraying' on the wings in the above pics. The Luftwaffe mottling was so much nicer to do using the Tamiya versus using the Vallejo when i mottled the ME 410.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Decals, this was the only issue i had with the kit. I feel like i used enough clear but must not have as i got a fair bit of silvering despite spending some time using cotton buds to make sure there was no air underneath. I always let them sit in decently warm water and then rinse them in a seperate warm water cup once i have them off the backing as well. Markfit didn't really help them settle much either and even the final 50/50 matt/satin coat didn't do a lot to salvage them. The decals are pretty thick as well so stand out like the proverbials. I've bitten the bullet on that side though and am waiting for some Microsol and Set to turn up to use on the D9.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I invested in some Vallejo chipping medium to see if i can get more consistent results than hairspray. These 1/35 drums were the first victims.

[Linked Image]

This is where my plan fell apart a bit. My 'airfield' won't really support two planes as it is dictated by the size of my cabinet., so I'll do it as a two piece set, and sit them side by side in opposing cabinets. Some strips of balsa for the 262 to sit on, be refuelled, worked on etc with a lightly wooded area behind and some room to the right of the plane for a kettenrad and other bits of gear. I also picked up some grass tufts and bushy tree things in my model shop expeditioning online.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The trees need some playing with and some undergrowth and dirt to fill out. I'll pull them out of the blutac and drill holes and glue them once i settle a decent looking setting.

I need to dull down the grass somewhat and i have a set of 1/48 drums and jerrycans inbound so the 1/35 drums are just there for kicks and giggles atm. Once the glue is all dry around the balsa and the dirt has settled i'll sand back the pad section and tone down that wood a ton and add some stains and whatnot. I'm hoping the Kettenrad and some other small pieces turn up soon to help fill it out i can sort out the final positioning of everything. I'm also sort of stuck as to what colour i should paint the sides of the base as well, if i can't think of anything in the next few days it will just get the black treatment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Since this i have watched a few tutorials on making trees, yes..welcome to covid home life, and would probably give that a crack before splurging upwards of twenty dollars on the ones i'm using. They are ok, obviously flimsy, and come extremely tangled in the packaging i ended up with a ton of broken branches. The few hours i spent re-glueing branches and tiny limbs didn't really excite me too much for the money spent.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4519398 - 05/04/20 01:07 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
That shot of the base I had to look twice, very nice work.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4519481 - 05/04/20 06:19 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
It's looking good.

mdwa
#4519484 - 05/04/20 06:46 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Really a nice display and good wok

#4519539 - 05/04/20 09:48 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Oh, Lordy, protect me from having to do this:

[Linked Image]

smile

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4519559 - 05/05/20 12:10 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Excellent work there Ajay. thumbsup

Also like the YouTube channel you are looking at, he has some really good videos on warships, came across his site when looking for info on tubed boilers smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4519794 - 05/06/20 12:03 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Kettenrad turned up! This thing is fairly small, 6cm so not quite 2 and 1/2 inches. Top notch little kit though and a breeze to build.

[Linked Image]

It came with some drums which show how big of a difference the 1/48 scale to 1/35 drums are. Surprisingly the 1/48 parts are better detailed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Trying to decide on colours i stumbled across these guys, that poor little Kettenrad biggrin

[Linked Image]

Also picked this up, couldn't resist at only a couple of dollars and should add a nice little bit of detail.

[Linked Image]

Nearly done, still needs all of the tools and junk in the trailer and some more wear and tear added.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4519819 - 05/06/20 01:18 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
Here is a nice 262 build - might have been of help if I'd seen this thread earlier!

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/72974-132-trumpeter-me-262a-1a-yellow-3/

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4519838 - 05/06/20 02:24 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: RedToo]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by RedToo
Here is a nice 262 build - might have been of help if I'd seen this thread earlier!

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/72974-132-trumpeter-me-262a-1a-yellow-3/

The mighty Thunnus, the guy does beautiful work. I followed that thread and some of his others and got some airbrush tips from him last year smile He has a gorgeous 109 he did with a new nose on and some other resin pieces that was just stunning.

I'd like to venture into 1/32 but i don't think i could afford all the cabinets i would need at that scale!

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4519927 - 05/06/20 11:17 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
The 1/35 Kettengrad does look at bit "beefy" next to the 262.

And yeah, 1/32 is BIG. "I had to buy a new house, then throw out the wife and kid to have room for my dioramas".

cheers

BUT, it is a lot closer to 1/35 and all those yummy auxiliary vehicles..K-grad, K-wagen, that big fat halftrack and the good old opel truck, and hordes of figures.

Your talent is wasted on mass producing.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4519941 - 05/07/20 03:10 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
The Kettenrad is 1/48 Nix, it might be the angle of my pic making it appear larger:) Those smaller drums on the sprue are part of the Kettenrad kit next to the finished 1/35 ones i was going to use.

The kit also came with three figures so that should pull it all together, as long as they don't end up looking like my usual 'fighting on the somme for three months and also my face melted off' mess.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520037 - 05/07/20 04:42 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Oops..

No wonder it looks close exitstageleft

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4520419 - 05/11/20 06:23 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Part one finito, plenty of little issues but she came through ok. My dudes look terrible under camera inspection but passable at normal viewing in the cabinet so they'll do biggrin Figures are hard! I splashed some oil around the drums, not that the Luftwaffe could afford it at this stage, sloppy ground crew one step away from a free pass to the Russian front no doubt. And hey, i managed to keep a plane fairly unweathered for once, amazed even myself. Seeing as how she is a 262 i decided to pretend she has only had a test flight, so she still has that new jet smell.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520444 - 05/11/20 11:34 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
Looks really good,

have you thought about putting a nice dark wood veneer around the base...

mdwa
#4520483 - 05/11/20 03:38 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Awesome Ajay...again.

Your figures look great to me.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4520489 - 05/11/20 03:53 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Once again a truly superior product. You have the talent.

What do the A4 decals mean? Is that the tail number and indicating parts so they don’t get mismatched ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4520509 - 05/11/20 04:57 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Awesome work, again! Probably my favourite warbird, with the Mossie close 2nd.
Was about to ask the same question as OG. A4 is repeated on many panels, some right next to each other. Intriguing :-P

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4520589 - 05/12/20 02:36 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Initially i thought it was to do with the fuel type. Below is from Ospreys JV44 book which is the only source i have.

Me262A1a, Red S of JV44, Brandenburg-Briest and Munich-Reim, March-April 1945.

Built at Schwabisch-Hall and believed to be one of the first aircraft on strength with JV44, this aircraft was used for training, if not for operations and flown by Oberfeldwebel Josef Dobnig and Oberfeldwebel Rudolf Nielinger- the first 262 that these pilots flew. Finished in an upper surface splintered camoflage which extends as a mottle over the fuselage. The red S is somewhat thin in style and an unusual stenciled A4 appears twice on the forward fuselage/nose and in three places on the outboard side of the Jumo engine. The meaning of this stenciling is not known.

Marking it to stop mismatching makes some sense OG, seeing as how it's an early build and parts/tolerances were more than likely being modified and changed a lot.

There is no mention of the AL so unsure if that's a mistake by Tamiya.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520590 - 05/12/20 02:46 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: mdwa]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by mdwa
Looks really good,

have you thought about putting a nice dark wood veneer around the base...

I end up doing the black because it just matches with everything, including the cabinet, it's also quick and easy. It is probably lazy regards the finish really smile

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520594 - 05/12/20 02:58 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Looks great Ajay all I can do is follow your posts and enjoy seeing your work

Russ
Semper Fi
#4520681 - 05/12/20 09:56 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
I have asked on http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/ but so far no replies.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4520684 - 05/12/20 10:02 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4520700 - 05/13/20 02:52 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Cool, hopefully somebody has the info stored away in book or their head.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520731 - 05/13/20 12:19 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: oldgrognard]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

That was me OG.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4520899 - 05/14/20 09:44 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Got some replies back.

"Under the heading of sheer speculation, I would suggest that these were IKEA instructions for assembly by do-it-yourself airframe fitters. "L" would stand for "links. I have seen these markings on only two other aircraft, W.Nr. 110 748 and W.Nr. 111585. It would be like telling your landscaper who was laying sod, "Green side up!". I think the idea met a quick death. "

It would also appear that the circles on the nacelle also disappeared.

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/picture.php?albumid=73&pictureid=694

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/album.php?albumid=73&pictureid=693

#4520908 - 05/14/20 10:48 PM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
The comment about L being Link/left throws me because there is L on the right engine.

Sorry if I opened a can of worms.

#4520917 - 05/15/20 12:10 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
It's a good can of worms. I like your theory OG but my thinking is it would have been easier to just paint colour coded dots and dashes or similar instead of big letters and numerals on parts. Of course that is based on nothing other than aesthetics which would played no role i imagine in slave labour built aircraft.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4520921 - 05/15/20 12:26 AM Re: Tamiya Me262 quick build dioarama [Re: Ajay]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yeah...kinda brings a different slant to the old "built by the lowest bidder" line we use here in the US.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.