Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 169 of 366 1 2 167 168 169 170 171 365 366
#4518866 - 04/30/20 03:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Status at 30 April 1917

2Lt Michael Colin McKinnon
60 Squadron RFC
Nieuport 17
Filescamp Farm

13 missions
10.55 hrs
3 kills
5 claims

#4518886 - 04/30/20 05:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lou – I can’t believe you survived a direct Archie hit. I hope Swanny made appropriate sacrifice. Oxspring just transferred in from 54. Hope his leg is OK…but I don’t think you’ll have him for long. Alas for poor Corruthers. Quite the month. Swanny can really lord it over that Bishop guy now.

Lederhosen – Great to see Willi back in the air. That Steuber though, I think we have another Backpfiefengesicht type with him. Jasta is clearly not big enough for both he and Willi. And you’re right, the Steubers of the world come not singly but in battalions.

Carrick – Situation in No. 1 RFC is looking grim. Time for Nigel to wrangle a 3-day pass to Paris to clear his head and restock the bar.

Raine – Ugh! The tedium of being bedridden duty officer. At least Mike getting positive attention from the brass. We'll see if Bishop keeps his nose clean.

Fullofit – Who needs a Brisfit when there’s the DH-4! I see Toby continues to wade through Kaiser Bill’s scout pilots. 3 rounds for Dobbs. Impressive. Most impressive.

MFair- No wonder Ganz is exhausted with the “4H” nurses doting on him. How he has the energy to fight the war, I have no idea. Ubermench Great to see him back and surviving his return encounter. Rust? What rust?

Maeran – Oh No! Another old hand lost to collision. I was engrossed in Stanley’s return and then scrolled onto that (!) shocking pic. Very sorry to see, especially after you’d just returned. Do please jump right back in with your next pilot.

It's taken me some time to get unstuck, and then there was all that research but the tale continues, if a bit in arrears.

14 April 1917
54 Squadron R.F.C
Chipilly, France

0545 hrs. Offensive patrol between Monchy and ProNville Aerodrome. B flight was Strugnell, Sutton with Major Horn in the lead. The Old Man is flying again. Stewart told me he’d injured his knee last month and hasn’t been up for several weeks.

Crossed over at 12,500 ft. A lone, slate gray V-strutter attacked from 1000 feet above. Unfortunately for him, he was late returning to his high perch. Strugnell was on him, pouring a stream of fire into his engine. The Albatros, spewed black smoke, nosed over, and plunged earthward, Strugnell following. The remainder of the patrol passed uneventfully.

My balloon was confirmed! Colonel Nicholson was very understated about the matter, but I could tell he was pleased. My first victory. Not the same as besting another man in single combat, but I’d bled for it, so I was happy.

1510 hrs. Line patrol south of the Arras – Monchy road. Climbing North, we’d reached Bapaume when Hudson dropped out of formation and returned to Chipilly. No e/a sighted.

Sent a note to Eliza. I’m still confused by where we left things when I saw her last, but with the Show in full force, my mind has been on fighting and flying. I have so much to tell her and don’t want to do so in a letter. I need to see her... but how? If this show is anything like the last one, she’ll have no time even if I could get away. That damned Major. Lord of the Silver Bow himself. What an ass! My only consolation is that with the offensive in full swing, he won’t be visiting either.

15 April 1917
54 Squadron R.F.C
Chipilly, France

0550 hrs. Reports of many hostile aircraft sighted near Arras with additional raids incoming. B flight set off to intercept, Strugnell leading with Scott, Sutton, and the new man Hadrill. We raced North, throttles wide open, grabbing height for all we were worth.

Eight thousand feet over Courcelles aerodrome we met up with 4 or 5 v-strutters. One minute we had the sky to ourselves, the next the air was full of enemies. Scott was in on one, chased closely by a dark purple machine with a yellow striped tailplane. I attacked the purple Albatros from the beam. He broke off Scott, reversed with horrifying speed, and fired at me as I passed. We started a weaving, rolling fight, as though following the path of a corkscrew from opposite sides. How can I not get behind him? The purple Hun flew with great skill, rolling his machine about and never making the hard turns that would cost him speed and give me a clean shot. Just out of reach. I managed a few snapshots but that was all.

[Linked Image]

Our stalemate continued until Scott joined in and we started attacking together. One of us forced him to break, then the other would pounce. Scott fired long burst then zoomed up. I bore in next, but the pilot dove away. I sideslipped down but he was well ahead now, almost vertical and burning.

Scott was most enthusiastic about his two Huns. We talked in some detail about the fight with the second Albatros. That Purple Hun really knew his business, but he couldn’t beat two Pups working together. He could have run at any time. Why did he stay and fight once his advantage was gone? It got me thinking.

1350 hrs. Patrol friendly lines from Bapaume to Cambrai. On our third circuit we tangled with 3 Albatros DIII-types. Hyde and I chased one. Hyde landed some hits then broke off. I pursued and put in two good bursts. The pilot ran for home and I chased him across the British trench line. Above no man's land his engine quit, but he still had enough speed and altitude to glide safely home. I rolled up and behind him and fired 20-30 rounds into the cockpit. The Albatros fell off to the left and plummeted straight to earth, crashing behind the German trenches. My first Kill !!

[Linked Image]

"He dropped forward on his face and his armor clattered about him."

Exultant, I rejoined Hyde. I’d done it. My first aerial victory.

As I made my report, Major Horn and Captain Nicholson were asking some very direct questions.
“You definitely saw it crash, then?”
“Squadron rule, Winningstad. Absolute certainties only, otherwise no claim. We never send anything doubtful up to Wing.”

16 April 1917
54 Squadron R.F.C
Chipilly, France

0445 hrs. Dawn Patrol of enemy lines from Havrincourt Wood to a point S of Cambrai. Pixley, Foster, Hudson, and Hadrill. I looked back at the airfield as I climbed to the sight of explosions!! Bombs falling on the airfield. My God! Where are these #%&*$# bombers?!

No e/a sighted on patrol. On the return, Hadrill’s engine failed and he landed in a field near Guillemont. He waved as we flew over. Back at Chipilly a maintenance shed lay in ruins. This time we were not so lucky. 2 men off to Grovetown CCS with serious wounds. When I saw the MO to change my dressing, he wasn’t optimistic about their chances.

[Linked Image]

hrs. Deep Offensive Patrol from Brayelles to Monchy-le-Preux. At 10000 ft we ran up on 2 v-strutters headed away from us. Pixley led the stalk but as we closed within 500 yards, they saw us, and the fight was on. The rightmost Alb sliced down in front of me. I latched on and he began scissoring his way down. A few snapshots were all I could manage, my main worry being the Pup’s speed. Get too fast and she’d fly apart. I sideslipped trying to keep 1000 feet on top of him. Weaving our way down to 2000 ft. he levelled and ran for Riencourt. This was my chance. Be quick! I dropped, attacked, and fired again.

[Linked Image]

I could see the rounds walking up the fuselage toward the cockpit. He nosed over and crashed next to Riencourt Aerodrome.

[Linked Image]

"Unhappy are they whose sons match warcraft against me."

My second kill but no time to celebrate. I was low and alone in Hunland. High above an aircraft circled. Albatros. He didn’t see me. I sped for home. Over German lines, I ran up on Hyde. He was flying incredibly low, well under 1000 feet. Not again. What is he doing? I flew top cover for him as we crossed the shell-ravaged expanse of NML. German anti-aircraft gunners found the range, and ignoring Hyde completely, focused all their malice on me. Bullets tore through canvas but A6215 flew on. Almost across. I thought we’d made it when I heard and felt the round clunk through the engine.

[Linked Image]

The Le Rhone coughed oil onto the windscreen, spewed bits of metal, chugged a mechanical death rattle yet flew on. She wasn’t going gently that was for sure. I was still getting 900 revs but how long could that last, and where to land? Bapaume Aerodrome lay off in the distance. Thank you Professor Strugnell! I throttled back as if that might help but was losing altitude and RPMs in steady increments. I could see the airfield now and it was clear that I’d never get there. The adjacent pasture would do nicely. Goggles off now. Be sharp Oliver, and don’t send her over! I got down and rolled to a stop. The nearby sheep stared at me briefly then returned chewing the grass. Still Alive.

Hyde circled, waggled his wings then headed for Chipilly. Poor A6215 was in a sorry state. Cpl. Johnson might never speak to me again. As for the Le Rhone, Cpl. Mitchell wasn’t going to be happy. It was only then that I thought about fire…

Bapaume was mostly deserted being an emergency airfield but the AA battery commander, Capt. C. E. Freeley was a most gracious host. His men were very curious having never seen the handiwork of their German counterparts up close. As Capt. Freeley arranged for tea, and a guard for A6215, I telephoned Chipilly. The remainder of the afternoon we spent with a fine whiskey. Oban, I believe it was.

I didn’t get back to Chipilly until after dinner. A good thing since it gave me time to doze and sober up. The squadron was waiting for me, glasses in hand, and had they ever hoisted both t’gallants and royals. News had proceeded me. Colonel Nicholson had got confirmation of my Hun. It was going to be a raucous night.

Hyde came forward. “Thank you.”
“Sightseeing again were you, Hyde?”
He smiled and extended his hand. “If we’re going to keep doing this, you’d best call me ‘Milford.’”

No. 54 was a close-knit crew; collegial, professional, no-nonsense with tremendous esprit-de-corps. Half the squadron had flown together since last year. Others like Stewart, Grevelink and Strugnell were seasoned veterans with aerial victories. Even Hyde, newly arrived in February, had downed a Hun. I was one of the “new lads.” While the old hands were very friendly and often helpful, I always felt like I wasn’t quite “in the club,” but that was starting to change. I’d protected Hyde twice when he was low over the lines and I’d shot that purple Hun off Scott’s tail. After two weeks it was too soon to say that I had arrived, but when they all raised their glasses to my first kill, I felt much less the outsider.

Last edited by epower; 05/01/20 03:02 PM.
#4518890 - 04/30/20 06:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Ltn. Gunther Ganz. EKING, EKII
Jasta 6
Albatros DIII Early
Wassigny

52 missions
49 hours
16 victories
25 claims
2 pending.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4518917 - 04/30/20 09:54 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Maeran, another one bites the dust. Sorry to hear of you pilot’s demise. Done in by the undercarriage. Tough luck!

Lou, a quiet day at the office, I see. And a much more subdued paint job. You are really going to confuse the Huns (and the historians 100 years from now on).

Epower, congrats on your first successful man-to-man combat. Glad you were able to get your Pup on the ground in one piece. And it looks like Milford is warming up to you.

30 April, 1917 05:50 morning mission
St. Pol-sur-Mer, Flanders Sector
RNAS-2
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
11.5 confirmed kills

All Toby’s claims have been rejected. Why? It’s the new policy: “Don’t ask, they won’t tell”.
What they did tell Toby was to go and bomb the enemy troop camp near Ghistelles. Yes, they have sent him to the same troop camp as yesterday morning. Let’s hope there is something left to bomb.
After arriving over the target Mulberry released his first pair of bombs. He then swung his plane around for another run when he noticed nasty Albatroses coming at him. One of them was red with a black chevron on the sides with a ball at the tip. Second seemed familiar and looked exactly like the one he shot down recently. It was red with a black tail. Mulberry first damaged the one with the chevron and then switched to the red and black. He then had to juggle the two, depending which one was more of a threat to him. It was a protracted fight and the one with the chevron disengaged at some point. That only left the red and black to deal with. He knew what he was doing and dragged Toby closer to the airfield to take advantage of the artillery. It worked and Toby’s plane received a few more vent holes in his upper plane. At this point the Albatros was struggling to stay afloat and after a few more helpings from the Vickers, it went down close to Jabbeke.

YouTube Link

30 April, 1917 14:05 afternoon mission
RNAS-2
11.5 confirmed kills
Awaiting one victory confirmation

The afternoon show was to go and bomb Ghistelles aerodrome. The British bomber made the delivery without much problem. He then proceeded to stalk a Hun that began to circle the airfield in preparation to land. While doing that, Mulberry was caught by two Albatroses, who came out of nowhere and parked themselves on his tail. Mulberry’s gunner was caught by surprise, despite looking directly at them for the past minute. One Of the Albatroses had a blue fuselage, the other red with a black tail (surprise, surprise). They’ve made head on passes and exchanged file. The blue machine hit Mulberry’s plane during one of the exchanges, but Toby returned the favour on the next pass and the Hun spiralled down. That left the red and black, who after some more bouts turned tail and dove for the airfield below. Toby followed and shot this one down on fire.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4518918 - 04/30/20 09:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
End of the month stats:

Squadron Commander Tobias Chester Mulberry, VC, DSC & Bar, DSO & Bar, L d’H
RNAS 2
Airco DH.4
262 missions
311.88 hrs
116 victories
210 claims

#4518942 - 05/01/20 12:51 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, Ganz does not have a good leg left! Nice videos as always.
Maeran, condolences Sir. Another brave flier bites the dust. That was an outstanding record.
Epower, congratulations on your 1st victory.

Gunther Ganz
Jasta 6, Wassigny
April 30, 1917

Wulf had informed the Jasta last night that tomorrow would be his last flight. He was taking a desk job in Munich. We were stunned. Wulf was well liked by the Jasta. Ganz knew if he lived long enough, he would see a lot of this. He felt good for Wulf. At least he would survive this madness.

The morning flight, with Wulf leading took off at daylight for a patrol of enemy lines between Cambrai and St. Quentin. It was a beautiful cloudless day. Starting the first circuit the flight of 6 were attacked by 2 Strutters. “Damned fools!” Thought Ganz as he easily got behind one. With a few long bursts it’s wings collapsed and it tumbled to earth. While forming back up another dove on Ganz surprising him. He felt the bullets smack into his machine. The two machines went into a turning fight with Ganz gaining the upper hand. The Strutters engine started smoking and then the whole machine was engulfed in flame. As Ganz was basking in his success he realized his tank was holed and he hurriedly looked for a place to land as he was running out of sky very fast. He made a safe landing south of Cambrai.

He was back in the air at 1200 hours in a replacement machine. Wulf leading again. A report of inbound machines near St. Quentin. We spotted them 1000’ below headed northeast near the town. The six Albatros dove as one. It was a real merry go round! Pot shots at passing enemy while trying not to collide with another. It was over in a flash. Ganz knew had damaged 2. A new pilot had claimed one. 4 of our machines were written off but the pilots escaped with minor injuries.

At dinner that evening we were introduced to our new Commanding Officer. Fritz Otto Bernert. Not a very imposing figure at first look. Average height with a face that looked like a thousand others. The one feature that stood out was the spectacles he wore. Ganz had never seen a pilot that wore spectacles! But, if there was any doubt as to the mans bravery and skill as a pilot, one had to look no further than the blue medal hanging at his collar.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4518947 - 05/01/20 02:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
And so Bloody April comes to a conclusion. It is been a tough month for campaign pilots.

Fullofit, the switch to a two-seater has not slowed Toby down at all. Watching your videos makes me pity your gun-layer. The poor fellow must simply hold on tight with his eyes closed. Perhaps you can teach him to make sandwiches.

Carrick, your lot is going through a tough time.

Lederhosen, wonderful to have Willi back. I love his new livery. And that Steuber is a piece of work. In another 18 months he will be leading a soldier's council, I bet.

Lou, sorry to hear about your loss of Corruthers. That scrap with the red-nosed Albatros was a great one! And the new livery is a cracker. As long as Trenchard approaches it from the front you should be in the clear.

MFair, welcome back Ltn Ganz! It has not taken him long to get back in the groove. Congratulations on the new victories and good luck with the new CO.

Maeran, I have been hoping for your return for so long. I had forgotten that Stanley was with 60 Squadron when I started my new pilot there on 13 April. We missed an opportunity to coordinator stories. And I really enjoyed your take on Bishop. So many pilots and their long campaign careers with a collision like Stanley's. I feel for you, mate. I do hope that you will come back as time permits. We're in this for the fun, so please don't feel that we expect daily reports!

epower, that was a wonderful instalment with some excellent photographs. Limping home with a punctured fuel tank was a nail biter. I am glad that Oliver is fitting in so well at 54. They seem like a really good crew.

I won't get a chance to fly for the next few days so I thought I would cheat and fly tomorrow's mission tonight. 12 days is a long time to wait but it likely allowed me to survive the April slaughter.

A Bluenoser’s War: the letters of 2d Lieut. Michael Colin McKinnon, R.F.C.

1 May 1917

Dear Robbie,

Well, I’m back on my feet and the Huns have been good enough to save some war for my return. The Medical Officer sent over a young man who called himself a therapist but who in reality was a sadistic torturer. He had me out of bed and doing stretches and physical jerks, walking, and bending. At the end of each torture session he would have me lie on a table for a massage. Except that instead of a massage, this horrid man would twist and pull my arms and legs and push on my spine. I would never confess it to him, but I felt better after each visit. Of course, it’s like the pleasure of hitting yourself in the head with a hammer – it feels so good when it stops!

Major Scott had me as duty officer from the 28th through the 30th. As duty officer, you are required to assist the adjutant (I think I mention we call him the recording officer in the RFC). You take messages, complete reports, then fly (I was exempt), then conduct inspections of each part of the squadron. For the inspections I was accompanied by a duty NCO, generally a corporal. The duty officer is not allowed alcohol at any time and has the unenviable task of ensuring that the senior NCOs’ and other ranks’ messes close up at a decent hour. And then there is the job of censoring letters, but I’ve already told you about that one. The worst part is that you have to sleep in the squadron office. That meant giving up my new bed for the little cot. It’s really a crime to make an injured man sleep like that. I am thinking that I shall start a trade union for pilots!

April has apparently been the worst month for the Flying Corps since the war began. The squadron has lost 18 pilots in the month – that is one hundred per cent of our complement! I have moved a fair bit up the dining table since my arrival here. Some chairs at dinner are on their third occupant since I came. New pilots take some time to adjust to war flying. They get shot down quickly and the few who survive have a decent chance after the first month or so. I am still a novice here, although one lucky enough to have three Huns to his credit. I still struggle to maintain my station in formation flight, especially on cloudy days. And I still rely on others to spot enemy machines in the air. It is damnably difficult to see aeroplanes at a distance, especially if the sky is not blindingly clear. Usually my first indication of approaching Huns is seeing the more experienced pilots break formation and turned towards the enemy. I just follow them and look about the sky until somebody starts shooting at somebody else. It’s getting better, but it will take a while before I develop the eagle eyes of a Bishop or a Scott.

Speaking of our star Hun-getter, Bish is now a captain and is boasting a bag of 14 Huns. He downed a balloon several days ago and yesterday a scout, both while out alone. I don’t know how he does it. I am tempted to corner him in the mess and talk tactics, but it is not considered proper to speak much of one’s victories and I am reluctant to put him in that position.

So now to today... I didn’t get my clearance to fly until well after breakfast this morning so I missed all the early shows. Around noon the Major decided to take on a dreaded “DOP” – a distant offensive patrol. That means an expedition into darkest Hunland to stir up trouble. The last time I was on a similar run was a couple of weeks ago when my engine gave out and I had a tour of the trenches as a result! Squadron commanders are not supposed to fly over the lines, but when I was working in the squadron office this week, I saw that Major Scott records his involvement as recreational flight. That’s not exactly the term I should have chosen. Anyway, the OC was leader and Fry was his second-in-command. Rutherford, Young, yours truly, and a new boy named Evans rounded out the team. We circled west of Arras until we were up to 9000 feet and then we headed north towards Béthune, where we were to cross the lines. In the end we did not cross over because just south of Béthune a large formation of Albatros scouts dived on our group. I saw Fry break into a climbing turn and followed him. The Huns sent half their group down among us while the other half circled like vultures overhead. Fry took on one of the Huns who came at us head-on. I turned to follow in his direction but continued to climb. Before long the other Huns joined in and a minute later we were joined by three Nieuports from our own A Flight, who were returning from a line patrol.

With so many machines turning about like maddened flies in front of a screen door, collision is a constant worry. It is even more of a worry when, like me, you feel the need to look back over your shoulder every two seconds. I was just turning my head back to the front when a brown and purple Hun machine flashed in front of me in a climbing turn to my right. I followed him and got on his tail before he noticed me. I fired 30 or 40 rounds before he reacted. The Albatros rolled to the left and dived downward. I followed as quickly as my meagre confidence in the Nieuport’ s construction allowed me to. It took quite a while for me to find the Hun again. He had dived almost to the ground and was camouflaged against the mud and water of the trench lines. But I had the advantage of height and went after him in a shallow full-throttle dive. I closed to about 25 yards before firing. The Hun swerved and fluttered one way and then the other. Finally he crashed just east of our reserve trenches.

[Linked Image]
"The Hun swerved and fluttered one way and then the other."

As so often happens in the scraps, I looked about to find no trace of friendly or enemy aircraft. By now I was down to my last drum of ammunition and turned back to Filescamp. For a couple of minutes I absent-mindedly confused Béthune with Arras and headed due west. I woke up when I saw the Lys River to the north and change course south for home. All the other pilots landed away from Filescamp and have not yet returned. Evans is missing. It was his first trip to the lines. I have filed my claim and am hoping that the RO can get someone to confirm it when they are back. I nearly dropped the Hun on the heads of our chaps on the reserve trenches so I am reasonably confident that the Army will confirm it if need be.

That is enough swashbuckling adventure for one letter. Remember not to use your sleeve to wipe the table. You’ll get your nose all dirty.

Your more sophisticated brother,

Mike

Attached Files Kill no 4 perhaps.jpg
#4518949 - 05/01/20 02:25 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Raine
Does Dad’s work still have him working out of the Naval Dockyard? The harbour must be wonderfully busy these days.

Ruh roh. For some reason, a cold chill just went up my spine. Probably nothing....

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4518977 - 05/01/20 11:14 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

BuckeyeBob - It's usually best to trust those feelings, and that line does seem a tad prophetic.

Raine - Good to see Mike is back in the saddle again, and a claim to boot! Fingers crossed he's lucky enough to have it confirmed. Those sign-offs in his letters are a stitch.

MFair - Gunther looks to be in fine fighting form again. The new CO would appear to be a fellow with some grit, sporting the PlM as he is. I suspect no one is going to be making fun of his glasses.

Fullofit - Mulberry really is simply flying that two-seater as if it were still his Tripe, and the style still seems to work for him. All claims denied? HQ must have gotten tired of constantly needing to update his file and are taking a new approach. Super videos again.

Epower - Oliver has been a busy lad. More exciting catch-up episodes, and some fine photos. I should think he is gaining some acceptance into "the club". He'll be a full-fledged member in fairly short order at the rate he's going.

#4518978 - 05/01/20 11:19 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Achtung!

[Linked Image]

It is the Kaiser's Royal and Imperial command that the following individual be recognized for his valor:

[Linked Image]

Citation to the award reads as follows:

Leutnant Gunther Ganz is an incomparable combat flieger of outstanding integrity. He shines as a constant example of spirit and sacrifice, and a model of bravery, audacity and strength. Even though he has been badly wounded on several occassions, he has returned each time to take his place at the front to continue his glorious exploits, and his actions have accounted for the destruction of sixteen enemy flugmaschinen thus far. Awarded the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern on 1 Mai 1917.

You make the Vaterland most proud.

#4519016 - 05/01/20 03:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
sehr gut!

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4519024 - 05/01/20 04:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Pursuant to Army Order 204, dated 6 July 1916, the following individual is hereby presented the Wounded Stripe:

[Linked Image]

Your King and Country thank you for your sacrifice and faithful service.

#4519060 - 05/01/20 08:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

The gong fairy strikes! It is a lovely medal Lou. Thank you very much.
Raine, congratulations on the claim. Let’s hope it is confirmed and glad to see you back in the skies.

Lnt. Gunther Ganz
Wassigny
Jasta 6
May 1st, 1917

After briefing for the morning mission Ganz was puzzled. Bernert would be flying No.2 and Ganz would lead. As they approached the machines Ganz asked the CO why he was flying the No.2 position. Bernert stopped and faced Ganz. “I know my leadership abilities Lt. I want to know your abilities.” With that, Ganz saluted the CO and went to his machine. They were to patrol enemy lines between Cambrai and St. Quentin. It was another beautiful day to be in the air. As Ganz left the ground he instinctively looked around. They had been jumped more than once on takeoff. It had become habit. At 3000m Ganz turned northwest toward Cambrai. He was well aware that his CO’s eyes were on him as he scanned the skies for any hostile aircraft. Turning southwest at Cambrai Ganz noticed a fight well below over Gonnelieu airfield. He signaled and turned left to put the sun between his flight and Gonnelieu and dove. As the 4 Albatros screamed down Ganz could see 6 or 7 Pup’s giving 3 Albatros what for. Ganz pulled behind one of the Pup’s and on his first burst say the pilot jerk back and collapse in his cockpit. Seconds later the Pup nosed over and went straight into the ground. The Pups quickly saw the tables had turned and some headed west. He quickly engaged another. He fired burst after burst as the Pup fled at tree top level but it would not go down. Just as Ganz gave up and turned around he saw the Pup wobble and nose over in front of the enemy trenches. He climbed while heading back over the lines scanning the skies. He saw another Pup low headed home. He cut his throttle and dropped in behind the unsuspecting Pup and with one long burst it too went into the trees. When he looked around, Bernert was beside him. He gave him a wave. Ganz signaled to return and the 2 flew back to Wassigny. It had been a great morning. They had claimed 4 machines with no losses. 3 of them belonged to Ganz.

The flight was in high spirits as they took off at 1300 for the afternoon patrol. Ernest again was flying No. 2. As they climbed to patrol altitude southeast of Wassigny Ganz again glanced back. There! Seven silver machines were coming down on Kette Eins a short distance behind. Ganz gave no signal but immediately went into a hard climbing turn. He easily got behind one of the Nieuports and it went into a spin. Now 2 were on his tail! They went into a tight circling fight. They could not get an advantage and as soon as they could they turned west. Then Ganz saw Bernert flash past and he knew why they had broken off. As he was catching up to Bernert he saw him knock the engine out of one and it landed in a field. It was intact and soldiers were running out to secure it and the pilot. As the machines landed back at Wassigny the elation of bringing down 4 of the Nieuports was tempered with the news that Rouen and Roemer had been killed. They were both new pilots with very little experience.

Ganz was called to the CO before dinner. He thought it may have something to do with poor Rouen’s death. It was the first pilot Ganz had lost as flight leader. But there was nothing he could have done. As he entered the CO’s office, Bernert motioned to the chair. “Wulf had sent the papers in some time ago. They have just come in. Not only have you been awarded the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, you have been promoted to Oberleutnant! Congratulations!” Ganz was stunned. “Thank you Sir!” Was all he could say. Bernert shook his hand. “You have already paid a heavy price. Three serious wounds in as many months. Let’s hope you can stay out of the hospitals for a while eh.”

#4519066 - 05/01/20 08:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

More Tales to go with my morning coffee. Vunderful

#4519081 - 05/01/20 11:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, congrats on latest victories and that pretty gong. The Fairy pulled all stops on that one. Good to see Ganz back in the thick of things. The new C.O. seems like someone to keep on your good side. And now taking down 4 foes in one day will earn him another medal, not to mention that promotion. Well done!

Raine, my gunner is very useful. I like him. He acts as ballast. Otherwise the plane would be nose-heavy.
Great to see McKinnon back in action and swatting Huns. Fingers crosses to get that one confirmed. Hopefully Evans will turn up after his own adventure in the trenches.
About that harbour business. Had an email today that a book on kindle is on sale: the Halifax Explosion by Ken Cuthbertson ($1.99 CAD on Amazon)

[Linked Image]

Lou, thanks for kudos. I keep repeating, praise must go to OBD. I don’t understand why can’t they just do what they’re doing for Bishop? Just approve all his claims.

1 May, 1917 07:00 morning mission
RNAS-2
11.6 confirmed kills

One of the claimed Albatroses from yesterday was confirmed.
It had to be a mistake. They were ordered to bomb Loos railyard junction. Loos! That’s a 100 mile round trip! It’s going to be a long mission. Toby was sitting in his ‘Four’ and wondering how he’s going to amuse himself during this extended trip when suddenly a Schwarm appeared over the aerodrome. Their shapes concealed by the glow of the rising sun. Mulberry took off immediately to avoid being a sitting duck when the strafing begins.
Two of the Huns pounced as soon as Mulberry’s plane was off the ground. He didn’t dare to bank until he had some altitude beneath him. The sleek Albatros was now getting into position and Toby couldn’t wait any longer. He began to weave to get the Boche off his tail, but he also had to keep him above the airfield to take advantage of the Ack-Ack. More German planes were descending upon the airfield and Toby knew his wingmen would have their hands (and pants) full. Mulberry continued to chuck his plane all over the sky and taking shots at any Huns that happened to get caught in his crosshairs. He fired at one machine and watched him dive into the ground. He looked back and saw another Albatros chasing him. An abrupt bank and a half turn later he was shooting at his pursuer. The German tried to avoid the fire by diving and catching trees below instead. Toby didn’t linger above and was already chasing another invader. This one also fell to Toby’s gun, slumping in the cockpit and smashing into the ground. Albatros #4 blew through the dust left by his camerade’s crash. It took Toby longer to get to grips with this one, but he too followed in the footsteps of his predecessors.
It looked like the airfield was clear of the invaders now. Toby looked around and noticed in the distance a column of lorries on fire. They must’ve been attacked as well. Right above he noticed two shapes and bursts of Ack-Ack. He knew there were more Huns around. He was sure one of the remaining Albatros scouts was chasing one of the Aircos. He turned to intercept and help his wingman. As he approached he realized the plane that was being chased was another Hun, not a de Havilland. It changed nothing. Toby quickly found a way onto the enemy’s tail and shot him down in flames. These must have been novices that were instructed to stay above the action and observe. Nobody told them what to do in case something went wrong. And now that “something wrong” is firing at them. Toby knew there was one more Boche somewhere around. He craned his neck in all directions and finally spotted him, or rather he spotted the bursts off Ack-Ack that continued to follow the Hun around. Mulberry closed the distance and opened fire. The last German was flying slowly and Toby decided to let his gunner have a go. He pulled alongside the Albatros and waited for Godard to open fire. Meanwhile, the two planes came dangerously close to each other. Toby realized too late his mistake and dove to avoid a collision. His plane was not reacting quickly enough and the two machines bumped into each other.
“- Crap! Crap! Crap!” Mulberry was kicking himself for being this stupid. His starboard wing was in tatters and the plane was difficult to control. He could easily roll to the right. Not so much to the left. The Hun continued to fly in front of him and Toby continued to attempt to shoot it down. It seemed absurd to do it, but he couldn’t afford letting him go and chance retaliatory action while he was struggling to land his crippled plane. As his final attempt he brought his plane along the Hun again, but at a much safer distance and let his gunner finish the job. They both watched as the enemy plane spiralled down to crash near the aerodrome. Toby was now free to concentrate on bringing his plane down in nearly one piece.

YouTube Link

1 May, 1917 14:30 afternoon mission
RNAS-2
11.6 confirmed kills
Awaiting six victory confirmations

In the afternoon they've been sent to recon enemy’s Front sector NE of Nieuport. Escort would be provided by 2 Tripes from RNAS-10. When they arrived Toby watched those Triplanes with envy. What would he do to be back in his old unit?
Tripes turned back when they reached the Front lines. Toby was sure this was not part of the deal. The trio of Aircos continued alone. They were halfway done when Toby spotted a pair of Huns rising from a low cloud layer to meet them. He faced them, while the other two bombers continued with the photography. Toby fought both V-Strutters for a while, but then the other two bombers joined the fight and split the two Huns. Toby could now concentrate on one pilot at a time. This German was good and in the end gave Toby the slip. By the time Mulberry realized which way the enemy went, the Boche was already far enough over the lines and into the Hunland that it wasn’t worth following him. Toby decided it would be safer to let the German go this time and turned his own plane around and headed for the base.

YouTube Link

As he crossed into friendly territory, he had a feeling he was being followed. He checked his starboard side. Clear. His port side. Clear. No, wait. There was some movement. A silhouette came out from behind one of the struts. Another Albatros. They’ve started their merry go round again. Toby almost had him when he felt his machine shudder and the engine lose power. He looked back. His gunner was staring at a second Albatros just behind and firing. Toby was caught in a trap. He quickly dove for the ground and by chance set his plane near an observation balloon battery. The Ack-Ack was already hammering away at the swarming Huns. Toby was safe.

YouTube Link

Attached Files 51nf3rTcQ8L.jpg

#4519087 - 05/01/20 11:52 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, thanks bud! Toby must have 9 lives. That was close.

#4519094 - 05/02/20 01:32 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, if he does then he’s already on his eleventh. winkngrin

#4519101 - 05/02/20 02:43 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
2Lt , Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
4 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

May 1st 1917.

1 Rfc was posted to fly Low Sgn Patrol over NML. We put up 5 ships. my 3 section + 2 Rovers We were flying at 4000ft to discourage close Photo Recon. We met the Huns almost Head on , 2 flights of three Scouts, except that they were Higher and circling down to hit the Rovers 1st then us. All anyone could do was snap shoot and spray and pray. I got off a drum,but no time to reload with the e/a on me. I thought maybe that I got one because he staggered. Then I was on the deck weaving between an Arty barrage to get away. Results Losses: 1 a/c destroyed pilot KIA and 1 a/c forced down in the trenches a write off ( pilot later reported as Mortally wnd} Claims: I put in for one and was rejected as No one saw any enemy a/c go down.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-05-01 13-28-12-18.jpgCFS3 2020-05-01 13-29-44-52.jpgCFS3 2020-05-01 13-27-57-71.jpg
#4519116 - 05/02/20 10:49 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Something has to be done about those rear gunner chappies!

#4519118 - 05/02/20 11:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Agreed Trooper. I can’t fly straight and level in combat so that he doesn’t toss his cookies.

Page 169 of 366 1 2 167 168 169 170 171 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics