Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4518859 - 04/30/20 03:05 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: rwatson]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by rwatson
FotS make me think of a Tom Cruise movie.

Haha, can't argue with that smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4518860 - 04/30/20 03:10 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: rwatson]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A

I read it wrong and you are correct DBond are they really Stand Alone??..I'm happy with the base game and FOTS

You bring up an interesting subject that I had refrained from discussing, but anyway here goes.

I think CA and Sega sort of pulled a fast one on Shogun II and Fall of the Samurai because even though they claim that neither game requires the other to play, they both still use quite a bit of the same game assets. If you own both games your playtime hours get lumped under only the Shogun II title.

A week or more before FOTS was released back in 2012, everybody who owned Shogun II got an update. However, for the time, it was a rather large 6 or 7 gig update. Even the main menu art changed with an additional space holder for the new game. When FOTS finally released, I immediately bought it. However, there was no accompanying large download--just a minor blip. That place holder in the UI for Shogun II of course now listed FOTS to launch. It didn't take a genius to figure out that FOTS was really in that huge previous update.

Unless it has changed, I'm am relatively certain that if one buys either game alone--both get loaded on your system for a total of 23 gigs. Then if you buy the other game, all that happens is that its executable gets unlocked in the main UI.

I remember quite a few people who did not intend to buy FOTS being upset about this at the time when it became apparent how they handled it.

However, since I've always had both games and most of the DLC as it came out, I have no clue if it is still set up the same way.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4518862 - 04/30/20 03:20 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: Vaderini]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's interesting F/O and thanks for the insight. Maybe this convoluted approach is why I remembered it as DLC and not stand alone. But Steam clearly states it is.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4518873 - 04/30/20 04:24 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: Forward Observer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Originally Posted by Forward Observer

I read it wrong and you are correct DBond are they really Stand Alone??..I'm happy with the base game and FOTS

You bring up an interesting subject that I had refrained from discussing, but anyway here goes.

I think CA and Sega sort of pulled a fast one on Shogun II and Fall of the Samurai because even though they claim that neither game requires the other to play, they both still use quite a bit of the same game assets. If you own both games your playtime hours get lumped under only the Shogun II title.

A week or more before FOTS was released back in 2012, everybody who owned Shogun II got an update. However, for the time, it was a rather large 6 or 7 gig update. Even the main menu art changed with an additional space holder for the new game. When FOTS finally released, I immediately bought it. However, there was no accompanying large download--just a minor blip. That place holder in the UI for Shogun II of course now listed FOTS to launch. It didn't take a genius to figure out that FOTS was really in that huge previous update.

Unless it has changed, I'm am relatively certain that if one buys either game alone--both get loaded on your system for a total of 23 gigs. Then if you buy the other game, all that happens is that its executable gets unlocked in the main UI.

I remember quite a few people who did not intend to buy FOTS being upset about this at the time when it became apparent how they handled it.

However, since I've always had both games and most of the DLC as it came out, I have no clue if it is still set up the same way.

Cheers

If you install FotS first in your steam client, and Shogun 2 later (or vice versa), you'll have to download an additional 7/8 gb, so FotS isn't just a straight up unlockable like the faction packs(makes sense, considering the massive amount of unit and artwork difference).

FotS make me think of a Tom Cruise movie.

The game is actually more based on The Last Samurai than reality, from the "honorable a-symmetric warfare" myth right up to the uniforms.

(in reality, both factions used as many modern gunpowder units as they could get, and the samurai were more 'tyrannical land owners' that were scared that industrialism would lead to wealthy powerful industrialists that would compete for power, rather than the 'honorable gentlemen loyal to the old ways' from the movie and game.)

But it makes for a great game, and I love how each side feels completely different in their approach on the same battlefield. There is also something completely satisfying by using naval bombardment on a filled castle and watching the bodies blow into the air, or manually taking over a gatling gun and mowing down hundreds of enemies that are funneling over a bridge. smile

Also, I wouldn't recommend RotS to anyone. It is just the base game with small unit stacks and OP cavalry archers, absolute #%&*$#.

Last edited by Vaderini; 04/30/20 04:27 PM.
#4518876 - 04/30/20 04:39 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: Vaderini]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Well, either I am misremembering it or they adjusted it later. At my age (75 this year) there are two things that tend to go south. The first is is one's memory and I forget what the other is. old_simmer

Cheers

P.S. I did just have a thought that I may have prebought FOTS a week or so early---as many other fans did possibly for some minor clan bonus. If so, prebuying that way might explain if they downloaded the game on to my hard drive early to lessen the overload on the game's release. It's all pretty fuzzy now.

Last edited by Forward Observer; 04/30/20 05:06 PM. Reason: add Post Script

#4518878 - 04/30/20 04:45 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
FotS make me think of a Tom Cruise movie..

It's hard to go wrong when you have Edward Zwick directing and Ken Watanabe on your cast. "The Last Samurai" is a great film and especially because it covers a time and place in history that has barely been touched on by Hollywood.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518879 - 04/30/20 04:52 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
and I forget what the other is. old_simmer

Cheers

If you marry one of those pretty mail order brides from Ukraine or Russia you won't have to worry about the second thing "going south". biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518883 - 04/30/20 05:08 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Cheers

If you marry one of those pretty mail order brides from Ukraine or Russia you won't have to worry about the second thing "going south". biggrin

They couldn't handle the hot monkey love! bananadance

#4518885 - 04/30/20 05:11 PM Re: Total War Shogun 2 Free on Steam [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Cheers

They couldn't handle the hot monkey love! bananadance

LOL!! Well played sir.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.