Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4518554 - 04/28/20 05:50 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: ]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted by BANITA
yes i mean ring. Sorry cant do screenshot.
the upper clocks have a bright illuminated ring, the lower ones are dark and not illuminated.
in apachealso the glare shield or some other parts is dark despite the use of illumination.
Looks like range of light covered only a part of the cockpit. I'm wondering if it's code settings or I'm doing something wrong.

Ok, I'm not really sure. It could be to do with the light position, maybe there's some shadow on it. I'm not sure if it's the code or scene, I'm not too sure how the code for rendering the models work.

#4518556 - 04/28/20 06:04 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: XIII]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I was thinking about how to do illuminated text on the dials and instruments in my blackhawk for working at night. Anything with 100% luminosity is lit at night, but that's for surfaces. I'd have to create new surfaces for all the text and lines and give them a new white texture, which seems like a lot of work. I think with DDS it's possible to have texture layers for different things, like text and lights, but I'm not sure if the graphics code supports it. The only thing I thought of was texture animation, but I don't know if I could use that either.

I've never experimented with using luminosity or bump map textures in lightwave.

#4518557 - 04/28/20 06:15 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: XIII]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

" I'd have to create new surfaces for all the text and lines and give them a new white texture, which seems like a lot of work"
I'm not an expert in photoshop, but it's just a matter of selecting, copying text, specific color and pasting on a new texture. If you know how to do it then it is a few minutes.I'm slowly learning photoshop too, and some of its features are amazing. Things I used to do manually, now I do in a few seconds.
it's just copying only text or specific colors.for rapota it's definitely a piece of cake,but not for us.

#4518562 - 04/28/20 06:36 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: ]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

" I'd have to create new surfaces for all the text and lines and give them a new white texture, which seems like a lot of work"
I'm not an expert in photoshop, but it's just a matter of selecting, copying text, specific color and pasting on a new texture. If you know how to do it then it is a few minutes.I'm slowly learning photoshop too, and some of its features are amazing. Things I used to do manually, now I do in a few seconds.
it's just copying only text or specific colors.for rapota it's definitely a piece of cake,but not for us.

Yeah I can do that easily in photoshop to create a texture file with just the text and lines. But luminosity only applies to a surface, not texture. So I'd have to create a polygons for all the lines and letters and apply that texture to them, then give that surface 100% luminosity. I just tried adding a texture file to the luminosity channel that had just the numbers and lines, and giving it 100%, but it's ignored in the game. I feel it's things like this that the graphics engine limit what can be done.

#4518567 - 04/28/20 07:07 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: XIII]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

ok now understand smile too much work and would cost thousands of polys.
in all simulators it is a separate texture, if eech supports dx9 then I think that there will be no problem to use this method.

Last edited by BANITA; 04/28/20 07:07 PM.
#4518574 - 04/28/20 07:52 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: ]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

in all simulators it is a separate texture, if eech supports dx9 then I think that there will be no problem to use this method.

Well D4rthCoffee joined, and is trying to get the game compiling in Visual Studio. He's expert in DirectX, so if he can manage to, then there's the possibility of moving to Dx9 and higher.

#4518577 - 04/28/20 08:11 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: ]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

A while ago, Firebird created a skins converter. I didn't understand how it worked, but I might look at it again, as it might be usable for this.

#4518579 - 04/28/20 08:20 PM Re: need advice in lightwave [Re: XIII]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
BANITA
Unregistered

even he didn't know how it worked wink I thought it was lost forever.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.