Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4518449 - 04/28/20 04:44 AM First mission with WOFF PE  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

I think I might have seen mention of WOFF a long time ago, but I was busy with other flight sims. For whatever reason this month I got the itch for some open air and canvas dogfighting. I own ROF and have enjoyed it for the visuals, but as many noted the AI leaves something to be desired, and the "campaign" and "career" system have quotes around them for a reason. After watching some youtube videos of dogfights in WOFF actually taking place at altitude I was was certainly interested. I decided to take the full plunge at get the PE, as I've payed more for games, that were a hot mess. If nothing else this would be a fun diversion. I was little apprehensive about how the visuals would be, but I routinely place legacy games, so I was pretty sure I'd be fine.

Overall I am very impressed. The AI is excellent, there is an actual living world going on, the visuals are solid, and the immersion is excellent. Honestly if I didn't know it was running on a 10+ year old engine I never would have guessed.

My first mission saw a British fighter sweep over German lines, that resulted in flying head first into a swarm of Albatross at about 12,000 feet in murky rain. I latched onto one, and we began a rolling dogfight, after about two reverses saw him dive hard. I was initially thinking, "ah so the much vaunted AI does the same thing as all the others..." till I realized he was directly over a German airfield, and taking me into a bigger hornets nest of scrambling fighters. I at once choose discretion as the better part of valor and dodge back into the murk, to blunder around till I was over friendly lines and able to make it to a friendly airfield. That was first in over 30 years of combat flight simming, and quite enjoyable.

I look forward to many pleasurable hours in open cockpits!

#4518456 - 04/28/20 10:09 AM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Welcome jenrick glad you are getting to sample WOFFs moments at last smile

Last edited by Polovski; 04/28/20 11:15 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4518479 - 04/28/20 12:33 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Welcome to the WOFF skies jenrick, you're in for a treat discovering all the wonderful things this sim has to offer you. Seeing as how you're an old hand from ROF you should have no issue making the transition. Feel free to ask questions as you go along if you need help, we're a fairly friendly lot here.

Watch your six, and new lads buy the drinks!

Cheers,

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4518494 - 04/28/20 01:18 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Welcome Jenrick wow you've got some exciting times ahead in WOFF. Don't forget the free skins download and also the free music download, the skins take up quite a bit of space but there definitely worth it.

Your in very good hands here,excellent forum members and a Dev team that go above and beyond,any questions like Lou above has mentioned feel free to ask.
Regards Adger

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4518497 - 04/28/20 01:27 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Welcome Jenrick! WOFF is a fine addiction to have. I came here from ROF in 2014 and haven't been back since. As Adger says, be sure to download the skin pack and music, but turn off your antivirus first or it can take a very long time,

Cheers,

Raine

Last edited by Raine; 05/01/20 04:10 PM.
#4518519 - 04/28/20 02:55 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Also, welcome.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but definitely visit the third-party mods page. You'll find a lot there that will kick the already impressive immersion up a notch or two. Like unique historically accurate aifield layouts, terrain mods, and most important (in my opinion) RAF_Louvert's maps. They're invaluable to navigating without the overlay or the TAC.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4518549 - 04/28/20 04:59 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Welcome to WOFF Jenrick.

You wlll find that WOFF is a much more immersive simulator than that other one that shall remain unnamed in this post - and that is ghastly barren in comparison to WOFF. You'll find that OBD Software does a very handsome job of coding and have worked miracles with 15+ years old (CFS3) code - really, it's entirely new code now. Also, I have high praise for the FMs in WOFF in its latest, ultimate and platinum eds., as well - balanced, varied and competitive with the AI, and I find them to be more "weighty" and historical, overall, than the ones in that other WW1 sim. where 'crates often fly as if they are 85%-sized kit imitations (at times a bit too twitchy and nervous) - of their full-sized ancestors.

Once you become more comfortable with WOFF in stock mode, you might want to check out several of the excellent mods that are available for it as well (a good link to read is this one by Becker, and that lists several mods available on Sandbagger's site, also on CombatAce, Dropbox, etc.):

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4518115/re-release-of-mods-where#Post4518115

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 04/28/20 05:05 PM. Reason: Modified info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4518743 - 04/29/20 08:43 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome all, I had already made it over to Sandbaggers site. I will give the fully upgrade stock install a bit, while I figure out the interface, and then it's mode time smile

#4519011 - 05/01/20 02:30 PM Re: First mission with WOFF PE [Re: jenrick]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Welcome to our mad and wonderful game, Jenrick.

You've fallen in with a great community as well so please don't hesitate to ask questions when they come up. People far more knowledgeable than I can answer them smile

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM