Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4518246 - 04/26/20 04:52 PM Krait II, or Three  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few days ago I bought a Krait Phantom, with the idea of outfitting it to be a fast express and armed merchant cruiser, to replace the venerable Python I had just sold. To run VIP and bulk transport missions and boom time deliveries. High speed, good jump, nice view. I bought and built it but it soon became apparent the optional slot arrangement is less than ideal. Bigger is better as it puts more butts in seats or carries more cargo. My ships need to have good shields, high speed and jump. The Phantom is perfect in those respects, but the optional slots don't allow a good cabin arrangement, while still having good shields. In the Phantom, you either need to go class 3 shields, which are too weak in my view, or class 5, which eats one of the valuable cabin/cargo slots.

So I got my Wingnuts groove on and bought a third Krait II. There are a lot of great ships in Elite, but for me the Krait II is the best of the bunch. It is just such a perfect blend of interior space, speed, agility, visibility, shields and firepower. It uses the same core slots as the Phantom, so I could have swapped them and sold the Phantom, but I'm going to hold on to it for a while and maybe turn it in to an explorer. I still want to get first-discovery on the rarest star types, and am motivated to head back out there. I could just use the DBX again, but it might be fun to build a more scientific exploration vessel and that's what I have in mind now for the Phantom, taking advantage of it's good jump and generous optional slots.

The Krait II is much better suited to the fast express role because of two tiny optional slot differences. The Krait II replaces one of the Phantom's class 5 slots with class 6. And one class 3 slot with class 4. Such a small difference, but the effect on the suitability for these roles is huge. I can now use class 4 shields, which gives me proper shields, which in turn frees one class 5 slot for the role, and another is raised from 5 to 6. In this trim, it carries 192t of cargo, putting it in the Python's class. The Python can carry more, but boom time deliveries are never 200t+ so this build can run the best ones. I can then swap all racks for business class cabins and it seats 52 passengers. There are a lot of transport missions requiring 45 business class seats, and these pay well. So in the end I think it is ideally suited for the intended roles.

It's a little slower than the Phantom, but with Dirty Drags it's still really fast. I named the new Krait Parabellum and armed it. My plan is to submit and engage any interdictors, and she has my standard efficient beams and overcharged MCs, with auto-loader on the mediums and corrosive on the large. I would usually go thermal vent on the beams, but here the only combat this ship will see is one v one really, so thermal vent isn't really needed. I'll kick around which experimental to apply to the beams.

It's just the sort of Python replacement I needed. A ship like a Python, but faster, with better jump and visibility. It can still do all of the missions I used the Python for, but for pure bulk hauling it would come short. But that's something I don't do so it won't be missed and I feel like I improved everything I didn't like about that ship. So I have three Krait IIs now, one a dedicated miner, one a combat looter and HGE-Hunter, and one an armed merchant cruiser and rumble bus.

Here is the new Krait in cruiser trim, but honestly what I am posting is unrealized. It shows all of the choices I made, but not all have been modded to the highest grade. It's close, but I need more mats to finish the G5 stuff. This ship is fast, with good jump and 900 mj and integrity along with reasonable shield resistances. Fully loaded with cargo or passenger cabins drops the performance, but it's still way better than the Python was. I did need to compromise on the scoop, but the missions the ship will run are usually one hop anyway.

Parabellum

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4518253 - 04/26/20 06:37 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Ah, enlightenment is a wonderful thing............

In the beginning things that sold me were;

* 6 jumps vs. 3 for Python
* Maneuverability and speed (engineered)
* View from Cockpit

Consider Phantom for exploration, you can massage a lot into it and still get great range.

Good job on your new addition to the fleet.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4518265 - 04/26/20 09:23 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha indeed it is. You broke this trail, I'm just following in your wake smile

#4518306 - 04/27/20 10:45 AM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Right now my jump range is about 39 ly in the Krait Phantom and I am trying to squeeze more range out of it. I've already done the weight reduction engineering options and the "stripped down" experimental add-ons for all of the modules that have it available.

What I'm driving at is that the current jump range in my Asp Explorer is 49 ly so right now I have no incentive to use the Phantom as my main exploration ship. I think the big difference here is that the Asp Explorer is a much lighter ship compared to the Phantom.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518325 - 04/27/20 12:59 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah PM, that's close to the max, unless you have the GFSDB unlocked, which adds 10 light years (class 5). My Phantom right now is getting 52 jump, but it's not really mission-configured yet and that may drop when fully outfitted, especially with SRV hangars and the like. All of my ships now use A-rated Dirty drives and those are 40t. Some folks like D-rated thrusters, especially in a long-range explorer build and that would add 2 light years to my ship, but I'll keep the high speed.

#4518327 - 04/27/20 01:05 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that info DBond!

On a related subject, I think I'll be selling my Python and Anaconda soon. There's really no incentive to keep them ever since I've had a fully engineered Fed Corvette which is superior in every category.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518332 - 04/27/20 01:18 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's interesting PM. I also sold my Anaconda and Python. A ship in mothball costs us nothing, though the proceeds from a sale can be useful. But I feel better having a small, tidy fleet. I could afford every ship in the game, as we all could really. But I've kept it to ten ships for a long time now. Bohemond was the one who got me thinking this way. His fleet has always been small, even when he could afford anything. Since we don't need the money, its interesting to me that some of us decide to sell unused ships.

As a result of all of my engineering and subsequent sales I ended up with a mountain of stored modules. But even that I have eliminated, some of it by repurposing to a new ship, and some of it sold. My entire module storage is now worth just 25 mil and it's almost entirely passenger cabins and cargo racks with a few highly engineered FSDs and thrusters that I just can't part with. I had tons of things like G3 efficient pulse lasers that I was holding on to for some reason. Well, the reason is clear, because there were mats tied up in that module haha. But eventually I just swept it out.

#4518333 - 04/27/20 01:26 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
That's interesting its interesting to me that some of us decide to sell unused ships.

I have a good friend who recently started playing ED and he's been a bit frustrated with the steep learning curve at times so what I REALLY wish I could do is just "gift" him my Anaconda or Python so he would have a much more capable ship to use instead of his current Cobra III. But alas, Frontier says no no to that idea! biggrin

#4518335 - 04/27/20 01:32 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ah, but not so fast! Ship Assistance Program!

If you wanted to do this, you can, in a way. It wouldn't hand over engineered modules of course, but you can give him the money, in an indirect way.

You go and fill a good sized ship with LTDs or something valuable. Have your friend meet you outside a station offering a good sell price. His Cobra could work, just max out cargo. You then abandon the LTDs and he limpets them up and sells them. He'd have millions in minutes.

#4518364 - 04/27/20 04:58 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
PM, check out my Phantom build on Inara for suggestions. It gets a consistant 62/63 LY jumps.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4518389 - 04/27/20 07:16 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: WingNuts01]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
The Python I doubt I’ll ever part with. Prolly my second most used ship, just way too #%&*$# versatile. Perfect for those tasty boom time missions of 180 tons and still able to handle any npc ship that’s foolish enough to interdict me.

The Type 9, on the other hand... Lets just say I’m looking for a new large mining ship. Gotta be one that handles better’n that scow.

#4518440 - 04/28/20 12:43 AM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I can understand that. The Python is a great ship. In some ways it has no equal, being a medium pad ship. There were just a few things about it that I wished were different, jump, speed and visibility, which Wingnuts also mentioned. The Krait fixes all three at the cost of just cargo space so I'm happy with the decision. I didn't need to sell the Python, but I gotta keep my ships on their toes smile

About the big miner... I guess it would have to be a Cutter, no? What else could qualify? T-10s no better than the T-9 I reckon, and who wants to mine in an Anaconda? Haha, who wants to mine in any big ship? J/k I get it, a ship like that can make a hell of a lot of space ducats.

By the way, there's a 1.6 mil LTD station tonight. Just sold a load of LTDs. Fozard Dock in HIP 19934

#4518455 - 04/28/20 09:49 AM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Yah, thinking a Cutter seems to be flavor of the week as far as large miners. Did some Coriolis builds to see what works best for me. Jury still out. T9 has worked ok so far, just absolutely hate it’s handling characteristics. But, I suppose I knew that when buying it.

#4518462 - 04/28/20 10:30 AM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: WingNuts01]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WingNuts01
PM, check out my Phantom build on Inara for suggestions. It gets a consistant 62/63 LY jumps.

Will do! Thanks for the tip. smile

#4518464 - 04/28/20 10:32 AM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: Bohemond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bohemond
T9 has worked ok so far, just absolutely hate it’s handling characteristics. But, I suppose I knew that when buying it.

I've been using the T10 Defender for a long time now as my dedicated mining ship and it is an improvement in every category over the T9.

#4518480 - 04/28/20 12:46 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I've been using the T10 Defender for a long time now as my dedicated mining ship and it is an improvement in every category over the T9.

Well, except cargo capacity right? And that's the reason I would think commanders are mining in big ships.

I also understand the T-10s hardpoints are better placed for mining and it's more survivable. Could be a viable T-9 miner replacement, but if it were me I'd go Cutter if I wanted a big miner, which I really do not smile

#4518481 - 04/28/20 12:52 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
but if it were me I'd go Cutter if I wanted a big miner, which I really do not smile

Using an Imperial Cutter for mining is like driving a Rolls Royce Phantom to your local Home Depot to pick up building materials for your new pool project.

Just my humble opinion of course. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/28/20 12:53 PM.

#4518482 - 04/28/20 12:54 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I agree with that! ^

#4557109 - 02/21/21 06:55 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Bringing this thread out of storage. I have four Kraits, with one a Phantom. I'll work all the builds in to this thread sooner or later, they seem to undergo constant improvement, chops and changes. Poison Whiskey, my combat sweeper, has until now used 6A Reinforced Fast Charge shields. These work great, especially since I only fly PvE. When I built this Krait, which was my first, I had these shields already in module storage, though I have no idea which sold ship they had come off of. So I slapped them on, found they were suitable protection, tried to balance out the resists a bit through the A boosters, and called it a day. Adding the GSR later boosted the mj another 215, and shields like this are not going to collapse in PvE unless you ignore the incoming fire. Kraits that four-pip at 400+ and boost to 550 shouldn't be relegated to face tanking, gotta take advantage of that speed and agility. So in this sense they are perfectly suited to the combat I engage in in Elite.

But at the same time, I am a Bi-Weave man. That's what my combat ships use. I tend to look at it like this, use As for burst protection, and Bi-Weaves for sustained. Burst protection would be for ships I want to survive initial volleys and scoot, or ships I use for one v one combat like interdictions or assassinations and pirate lord missions Sustained for combat like typical CNBs, RES and CZs. A week or two ago I was looking through my module storage and noticed I still had a set of G5 Thermal Resistant Hi-Cap shields back at my old home of Fowler Orbital in Dvorsi, and again have no idea which ship they come from. So today I whistled for them and replaced the Reinforced A's. This drops mj considerably, and threw my resists out of whack, which was way too low for kinetic.

So I bought a couple new A boosters and flew the ship to Didi for some work. Those thermal A boosters will find a home on a different ship. At Didi's shop I put G5 Resistance Augmented and Super Caps on both, which evened out the resists better, even if kinetic is still a little low. But in general I think anything above 40% is fine for PvE. And now I had significantly raised thermal resist from the old shields, giving them the elasticity I often cite. Recovery time drops from 2:32 to 1:47 and recharge drops from 7:49 to 2:32. So the Bi-Weaves have the same recharge as the old shields had recovery! Should be much better suited to furball combat.

With the loss of so much mj though I wondered if this was really better. Comparing the "Shields Will Hold For" ratings for both revealed maybe not so much. The old setup has a rating of 13:59 and the new one 13:55. But with the much higher thermal I think they will prove in practice to be much better against the hits that do the most damage to shields. Aside from protection concerns, the new setup uses a little less power and has a lower cost. These are minor points at best, but still a factor.

Here they are to compare

Poison Whiskey with 6A Shields

Poison Whiskey With Bi-Weaves

#4557188 - 02/22/21 01:22 PM Re: Krait II, or Three [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Took the shield-swapped Poison Whiskey out to hit some HGEs and do some bounty hunting. Scan the system, hit the HGEs and a couple Encoded, drop at the RES and shoot stuff, then scan again upon waking and hit the new HGEs. The shields performed impeccably, the high thermals preventing more than a few points off, and those are recovered in a blink. Perfect. Glad I finally got a round to making the switch.

The lower power dropped my idle one point to 27% which most players wouldn't care about, but it pleases me smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.