Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4518172 - 04/26/20 12:43 AM My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm Corona'd out and viewing very little television and internet news these days, back to my studies and music. I've been working on this project for a couple of weeks, making yet another Top 100 playlist.

My imaginary scenario...

I'm going away for life and can take only 100 songs with me with no chance of acquiring more music. Since that's all I'll ever have, I have to keep in mind the multiple genres I listen to.

I know I'm playing it loose with what defines a "song" with a couple of Rush 20 min. album-side filling singles! biggrin Unfortunately it can also work against you like with the last set of songs at the end of the Beatles' "Abbey Road" album.

Man, it was *really* hard to narrow my selection down to only 100 songs and it took multiple trial listens before deciding on a final listing. Just narrowing it down to 500 songs that I wouldn't want to live without was tough, and that's not including several great albums without a standout single (Alan Parsons Project's "Turn of a Friendly Card" comes to mind). I finally chewed it down to 300 songs which will serve as my base for any future huge playlists (like for taking a road trip).

Note that some songs are not the biggest hits from a band as I either: a) tired of the biggest hits or b) have always liked the lesser-known songs better. Also, I wanted my top two albums in their entirety, although I could probably live without "Money" and "Vital Signs". But then they wouldn't be complete, and "Vital Signs" takes some of the 'Sting' out of having so very little Police.

This scenario assumes that my misses is coming with me, else many of these songs would be trash canned (just wouldn't want to listen to them anymore). She's been peeking over my shoulder, wants me to help her make her own top 100 which will include some songs that I passed on (i.e. choosing the Eagles' "Please Come Home For Christmas" over another holiday favorite, Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne").

So here's my playlist, including some guilty pleasures that had to make my top tier listing (there really is a reason for every one of these songs, even the ones that make you cringe eek), many associated memories locked deep inside this Rock-filled head)... biggrin

[Linked Image]

Anyway, I'm hoping some of you similarly-aged gents (b. '67, age 52) will get a kick out of my all-time greatest going away forever song selection. Later I'll post my top 100 runner-ups which were so very hard not to include (along with hundreds more that I'm glad I don't have to ditch forever).

++++++++++

EDIT: My Top 100 Runner-ups 1st tier...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

EDIT: My Top 100 Runner-ups 2nd tier (about 50 songs didn't make the cut)...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

EDIT: Actually there were thousands of songs which could have made one these lists, but it's all irrelevant as I'm sticking with my first original Top 100. But so many songs I would miss, as well as complete albums, many with no representation here.

From the favorite albums thread, most of my favorites (sans any Greatest Hits or Soundtracks):

The Beatles - Abbey Road
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Against the Wind
Steely Dan - Aja
The Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue
Pink Floyd - Animals
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
AC/DC - Back in Black
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams
Boston - Boston
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
George Benson - Breezin'
Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms
Don Henley - Building the Perfect Beast
Men At Work - Business As Usual
Red Hot Chilly Peppers - Californication
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down
Rush - Caress of Steel
Men At Work - Cargo
The Cars - The Cars
Collective Soul - Collective Soul
Styx - Cornerstone
Hootie & the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Pat Benatar - Crimes of Passion
Dam*n Yankees - Dam*n Yankees
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Goo Goo Dolls - Dizzy up the Girl
Boston - Don't Look Back
Foreigner - Double Vision
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Quincy Jones - The Dude
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Styx - Equinox
Journey - Escape
The Cranberries - Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?
The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky
George Michael - Faith
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Alabama - Feels So Right
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
Journey - Frontiers
Queen - The Game
Gap Band - Gap Band III
Genesis - Genesis
Rush - Grace Under Pressure
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Neil Young - Harvest
Rush - Hemispheres
Todd Rundgren - Hermit of Mink Hollow
REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity
Eagles - Hotel California
Creed - Human Clay
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Journey - Infinity
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Kansas - Leftoverture
Metallica - Load
Eagles - The Long Run
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Metallica - Metallica
Night Ranger - Midnight Madness
The BusBoys - Minimum Wage Rock & Roll
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Rush - Moving Pictures
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
Robert Plant - Now and Zen
Styx - Paradise Theater
Rush - Permanent Waves
Styx - Pieces of Eight
Pat Benatar - Precious Time
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd
Prince - Purple Rain
Def Leppard - Pyromania
The Fixx - Reach the Beach
Bryan Adams - Reckless
Metallica - Reload
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Seal - Seal II
Rick James - Street Songs
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil
Rush - Signals
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper
Peter Gabriel - So
Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
Blackfoot - Strikes
The Police - Synchronicity
Pearl Jam - Ten
Boston - Third Stage
Paula Cole - This Fire
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Live - Throwing Copper
The Who - Tommy
Toto - Toto IV
The Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card
Van Halen - Van Halen
Van Halen - Van Halen II
Living Colour - Vivid
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
.38 Special - Wild-Eyed Southern Boys
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Matchbox Twenty - Yourself or Someone Like You
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta
Van Halen - 1984
Prince - 1999
Rush - 2112
Foreigner - 4

...and again, no Hits compilations which would be another long listing.

Attached Files MarkG_All-Time_Top_100.pngMarkG_All-Time_Top_100_Runner-ups.pngMarkG_All-Time_Top_100_Runner-ups_2.png
Last edited by MarkG; 05/20/20 09:57 PM. Reason: Added Top 100 Runner-ups and Pink Floyd - Meddle

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4518191 - 04/26/20 03:12 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
That's a pretty good list you have there. I'd say I like about half of the songs in your list. The other half are divided between songs I'm not familiar with and songs I don't care for.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518223 - 04/26/20 12:44 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
That's a pretty good list you have there. I'd say I like about half of the songs in your list. The other half are divided between songs I'm not familiar with and songs I don't care for.

Hey, at least I'm batting 500! thumbsup

I believe I could take a cross-country road trip which just about anyone within 10 years of my age, and if all we had to choose from was the music in my own expansive CD collection, they'd find enough common interest to last the trip. Unless all they listened to was Rap/Hip Hop, then we'd have a problem (of ~10,000 songs I have maybe a dozen).

For you PM, I think I'd start by dusting off my Beatles collection (I believe I have every album), then add some Genesis and ELO (both individual albums and hits compilations). Billy Joel? Paul McCartney/Wings? You'd find enough. yep

I often wonder what older music I have yet to explore. For example, the band Oasis seems to be liked by some here outside of the US, yet only recently (within the past 10 years) have I even heard of them (and right here on SimHQ).

EDIT: And of course, "The Wall"!

Last edited by MarkG; 04/26/20 01:10 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4518231 - 04/26/20 02:09 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm finding that creating a top 100 runner-up playlist is even more difficult than the top 100!

Which reminds me of a pic I once posted on a defunct game dev board. It was in response to a Boomer comment (not addressed to me) about making a Queen mix tape.

So I posted this... biggrin

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DSCF2738.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4518290 - 04/27/20 02:55 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A few random thoughts...

1. Making a digital PC 'mix tape' playlist is so much easier than the old-school way of having to:

- calculate song lengths from various LPs to fit nicely on each side of a cassette (totaling 60 or 90 min., or even 120 if you lived dangerously).
- simultaneously press Pause and Record and then trial play each song to set the L/R record levels properly (letting the meters bump but not exceed 'redline').
- practice impeccable timing of unpausing the tape deck to record each song when the stylus was perfectly between songs, and then...
- repause on the mark when the song is over.

Making a good quality mix tape (assuming you used terms like: "cartridge", "turntable", "tape deck" and "receiver" [or "integrated amp and tuner"] and not "all-in-one stereo with built-in record player, complete with record-changing spindle and 45 attachment" smile ) was an art form and something you did before a date as you wanted control of mood and atmosphere. You certainly didn't want to rely on Easy Listening FM radio, else you might have a special moment with your girl and end up with a freaking Paul Davis tune stuck in your head for the rest of your life (while thanking the musical gods that at least it wasn't "Sweet Life")! biggrin

2. I could never stream music as I have too much trouble deciding what to include in my playlists even with such a limited number of songs. Having unlimited choices would drive me insane! screwy

3. One disadvantage going from your parent's home straight to married life (at age 20, not the current 35?) is that you never get that span of time to do whatever the hell you want. My parents said, "No way!" and now my wife says "Nope!" but dammit, this poster would look totally AWESOME in our office bedroom! biggrin

[Linked Image]

4. Once again this playlist project was fun and one day I'll complete it with a 100 runner-up listing (which will make it much more complete...needs some Metallica and Rick James), but I'm spent and out of time.

Attached Files DIO_Holy_Diver.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4518307 - 04/27/20 10:49 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

For you PM, I think I'd start by dusting off my Beatles collection (I believe I have every album), then add some Genesis and ELO (both individual albums and hits compilations). Billy Joel? Paul McCartney/Wings? You'd find enough. yep

I often wonder what older music I have yet to explore. For example, the band Oasis seems to be liked by some here outside of the US, yet only recently (within the past 10 years) have I even heard of them (and right here on SimHQ).

You are correct in your assumption concerning my music tastes since I love all of those artists you mentioned.

Concerning Oasis, they were never as big in the US as they were in Europe but the height of their commercial success was in the late 90's so I did at least know about them at that time. Their big hit "Wonderwall" was played all the time on the radio so you couldn't get away from it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4518317 - 04/27/20 11:53 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I have a particular sim-related memory of Wonderwall.

Back in the 90's (I think the song came out in '95) I was playing EF2000 and it allowed you to play a music CD during the game. It was on endless repeat smile Can't stand it now.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4518375 - 04/27/20 06:43 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

You are correct in your assumption concerning my music tastes since I love all of those artists you mentioned.

Concerning Oasis, they were never as big in the US as they were in Europe but the height of their commercial success was in the late 90's so I did at least know about them at that time. Their big hit "Wonderwall" was played all the time on the radio so you couldn't get away from it.

Ah, I had already checked out from listening to new music. In '96 I moved from Atlanta to Jacksonville and had never heard of Oasis nor any of their music on the radio in either city. But then I was listening to Rock radio (96Rock Atlanta, 96?something in Jax) so it doesn't surprise me.

Originally Posted by Chucky
I have a particular sim-related memory of Wonderwall.

Back in the 90's (I think the song came out in '95) I was playing EF2000 and it allowed you to play a music CD during the game. It was on endless repeat smile Can't stand it now.

I'll probably keep this mentally filed away, like remembering that Cat listened to DLR Van Halen while playing DID's follow-up Total Air War (F-22). biggrin

I gave this tune a listen and although I've never heard it before, it's not bad (other than someone using a record changer at beginning of video)...

Oasis - Wonderwall (Official Video)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1Bh8ZvH84

Very...modern British? Not really my taste (and it sounds like you tired of it?), but I'm sure that my very American/Canadian (and one German) 80's romantic power ballads are not going to appeal to the average European. smile

The sun is in the east
#4518382 - 04/27/20 06:54 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I gave this tune a listen and although I've never heard it before, it's not bad (other than someone using a record changer at beginning of video)...

It's not a bad song but it suffered from being overplayed to death on radio. I think it got played almost as much as "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion.

#4518448 - 04/28/20 04:21 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This playlist project had me scrutinizing my entire music library, forgetting how much I enjoyed some of the 'oldies'. I grabbed my Fender acoustic for the first time in years and tried playing one of my favorites, the Beatles' "Blackbird" (White Album). I used to be able to play it pretty well but it's no longer in memory and I now lack the coordination and speed to play it properly. "Rocky Racoon" I can still play though, also "Mother Nature's Son" which are much easier. smile

No calluses on my fret fingers, old hard strings biting into my fingertips like thin dental floss (ouch). Sounds really flat and I know my neck is shot. frown

Some older pics (missing is "Eagles Complete" book)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also play around on my mom's Yamaha keyboard (once an amateur pianist [real piano], she had no room for it so it's in my cave), but I haven't gotten very far with it.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DSCF2315.JPGDSCF2317.JPGDSCF3566.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4518460 - 04/28/20 10:25 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
You have 100x the musical talent that I have Mark., That's no exaggeration!

#4518502 - 04/28/20 02:00 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Yeah, but I was cursed with no internal clock, no rhythmic sense of timing whatsoever! frown So while I can learn some impressive (at least to other beginner-level amateurs) pieces, I could never pull off an entire song with consistent timing.

Thus, I'm also a horrible dancer, even for a white boy! eek2 Even with some of the easy slow stuff, my pace has to be led (although the effort is always appreciated). wink

Now I find that stretching out a barre chord hurts the top of my hand. I bet it's common for aging musicians to be always feeling at least some moderate pain on stage.

The sun is in the east
#4518504 - 04/28/20 02:06 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I bet it's common for aging musicians to be always feeling at least some moderate pain on stage.

I have no clue how Keith Richards pulls it off after so many decades. lol

#4518505 - 04/28/20 02:08 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Always cracks me up! biggrin

Attached Files aOmjGR6_700b.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4518611 - 04/29/20 01:06 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Added my Top 100 Runner-ups to first post. Unfortunately, they'd get left behind with another 300 songs that didn't make The Final Cut <- I'd be missing that one too.

The sun is in the east
#4518654 - 04/29/20 12:42 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's an exceptionally slow work day for me today so I'll go ahead and list my personal top 100 songs. biggrin

It will be easiest for me to list them if I just go by artist/band order,

1. Hey Jude - Beatles
2. We Can Work It Out - Beatles
3. A Day in the Life - Beatles
4. Paperback Writer - Beatles
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Beatles
6. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - Beatles
7. In My Life - Beatles
8. Norwegian Wood - Beatles
9. Sexy Sadie - Beatles
10. The Long and Winding Road - Beatles
11. Wish you were Here - Pink Floyd
12. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
13. Us and Them - Pink Floyd
14. One of these Days - Pink Floyd
15. The Trial - Pink Floyd
16. Echoes - Pink Floyd
17. Great Gig in the Sky - Pink Floyd
18. Brain Damage - Pink Floyd
19. Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
20. Another Brick in the Wall part 1 - Pink Floyd
21. Proud Mary - CCR
22. Green River - CCR
23. Who'll Stop the Rain? - CCR
24. Have you ever seen the rain? - CCR
25. Down on the Corner - CCR
26. Fortunate Son - CCR
27. Looking out my back door - CCR
28. Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
29. Rough Boy - ZZ Top
30. Gimme all your loving - ZZ Top
31. Gypsy - Fleetwood Mac
32. Little Lies - Fleetwood Mac
33. Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
34. Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac
35. Hotel California - Eagles
36. Tequila Sunrise - Eagles
37. Lying Eyes - Eagles
38. Take it Easy - Eagles
39. Desperado - Eagles
40. One of the nights - Eagles
41. Wrapped Around Your Finger - Police
42. Every breath you take - Police
43. Synchronicity II - Police
44. Message in a Bottle - Police
45. Roxanne - Police
46. Everything she does is magic - Police
47. Don't Stand so close to me - Police
48. Vienna - Ultravox
49. Trans Europe Express - Kraftwerk
50. The Robots - Kraftwerk
51. The Man Machine - Kraftwerk
52. Das Model - Kraftwerk
53. Tour De France - Kraftwerk
54. Paint it Black - Rolling Stones
55. Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones
56. Ruby Tuesday - Rolling Stones
57. Love is Strong - Rolling Stones
58. Beast of Burden - Rolling Stones
59. Missing You - Rolling Stones
60. Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
61. More than a feeling - Boston
62. Don't Look Back - Boston
63. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zep
64. Black Dog - Led Zep
65. Living Loving Maid - Led Zep
66. Kashmir - Led Zep
67. Immigrant Song - Led Zep
68. Rock n Roll - Led Zep
69. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
70. Somebody to Love - Queen
71. The Show Must go on - Queen
72. Crazy Little thing called Love - Queen
73. Another one bites the dust - Queen
74. We are the champions - Queen
75. I want to break free - Queen
76. Flash - Queen
77. Mony, Mony - Tommy James & the Shondelles
78. Crimson & Clover - Tommy James & the Shondelles
79. Dragging the Line - Tommy James
80. Piano Man - Billy Joel
81. Honesty - Billy Joel
82. You may be right - Billy Joel
83. It's still rock and roll - Billy Joel
84. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel
85. Only the good die young - Billy Joel
86, Fantasy - Earth, Wind & Fire
87. September - Earth, Wind & Fire
88,. Saturday in the Park - Chicago
89. I'm a man - Chicago
90. 25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
91. Beginnings - Chicago
92, The End - The Doors
93. Light my fire - The Doors
94. LA Woman - The Doors
95. The Musical Box - Genesis
96. Supper's Ready - Genesis
97. Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
98. Wheel in the sky - Journey
99. Separate Ways - Journey
100. Band on the Run - Wings

Ok so I screwed up and found out that a top 100 list isn't nearly enough for me but I'll stop there. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/29/20 12:44 PM.

#4518752 - 04/29/20 09:34 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Thanks for that, PM! cheers

Ok so I screwed up and found out that a top 100 list isn't nearly enough for me but I'll stop there. biggrin

I know, right? Even with another 100 songs as runner-ups, I neglected to include any Foreigner (and that's inexcusable for me)! cuss So I *have* to do one more hundred to rectify this injustice.

Yeah, I know that I can't take more than 100 with me but it'll make me feel better to have a few more at least represented as second-tier runner-ups.

I promise I'll stop at 300, no more!

The sun is in the east
#4519040 - 05/01/20 06:20 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm finding my third and final 100 (2nd-tier runner-ups) song selection almost impossible, but I'm down to 137 songs. It'll include the typical syrupy sap, heartbreak hell (those guitar solos tuner) and 'Satan' that I listen to, but I want it to be even more diversified. It needs to include a couple of Punkish tunes (Clash and Green Day) and more Progressive Rock (ELP and Yes), along with more Soul and Classical.

The sun is in the east
#4519106 - 05/02/20 05:11 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Posted my second set of 100 runner-ups (totaling 300 songs) with about 50 that were left homeless.

Time for each set:

- 1st 100 songs: 8.1 hrs.
- 2nd 100 songs: 8 hrs.
- 3rd 100 songs: 7.9 hrs.

So with 200 runner-ups, 300 total is a perfect 24 hr. day of my favorite tunes (not including some complete albums now also listed on first post)! tuner

But this was to be a Top 100 songs only and I'll stand by my original selection. Man, I would miss the rest of them though.

++++++++++

Syrup to Metal, I guess in the middle would be Yacht Rock. Enjoy (featuring Joe Walsh on guitar)...

Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island 1978 (Lyric Video) 1080P...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlOtO2ZimrE

Last edited by MarkG; 05/02/20 11:19 PM. Reason: clarifications

The sun is in the east
#4519246 - 05/03/20 01:01 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Some closing comments...

This was an impossible project (sampling of old pics)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm enjoying listening to a contrasting change of styles and moods in a single large playlist (all 300). I'll keep my focused playlists (a date night playlist being drastically different from a yard work or a concentrated listening playlist), but I really like the constant variation which is not how I usually listen to music.

Yesterday we left the house for the first time in over a month just to joyride on some rural highways listening to tunes (don't know why we waited this long, bringing masks and gloves just in case).

++++++++++

Fortunately my wife has outgrown most of the music of her early teens (she was even going to concerts before I was, Alabama '84 with her was my first)...

[Linked Image]

...although it isn't all terrible... biggrin

[Linked Image]

I knew from the beginning that, although our personalities were completely different, we at least had a common interest in our love of music and live performances (including the night we became a couple, following a chance meeting in a theater lobby after a movie musical). This works well for us today.

++++++++++

BTW, this was my first live act (at a State Fair). I was mesmerized by a live performance...

The Producers - She Sheila (digital audio)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k89_UrZXNw

Happy New Year 1983...

The Producers - "She Sheila"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzZVhwa2sSA

++++++++++

So, fun project but time for a break with something completely different...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

EDIT: My favorite albums listing on first post will never be complete, added Todd Rundgren's "Hermit of Mink Hollow".

Attached Files DSCF1849.JPGDSCF3187.JPGDSCF2292.JPGDSCF3604a.jpgDSCF2298.JPGDSCF4056.JPGDSCF4065.JPG
Last edited by MarkG; 05/03/20 08:43 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4520017 - 05/07/20 03:17 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A few final final comments... smile

Now that a few days have passed, I realized some mistakes I made, like leaving off songs like this...

NEIL YOUNG - OLD MAN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

Studio version...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAtDrFdomN4

...which really should have been in my Top 100.

Another oversight is that I mistakenly left off Metallica's "The Unforgiven" from "Metallica" (the Black Album) while including "The Unforgiven II" off "Reload". I'd choose the original over the later, but really should have included both.

++++++++++

So many favorite songs aren't listed because I almost always listen to them as part of an album versus a single, and this thread is mostly singles. This is why I added favorite albums on my first post (hidden under Spoiler box) and even that is very incomplete since it doesn't include Greatest Hits and Soundtracks. I may come back and add those later (including larger box set hits like "Citizen Steely Dan 1972-1980") to make my thread complete.

Another note is that sometimes you have to supplement a Hits compilation. For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 (actually I purchased the complete deluxe "Flash Gordon" Soundtrack) from Amazon to complete it.

Same with "Gord's Gold" (Gordon Lightfoot's fantastic Hits compilation), released in 1975, the year that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. His song "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" was released the next year (1976) so again, another MP3 purchase to complete the set.

Sometimes I just repurchase the CD as with Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" as "When the Tigers Broke Free" wasn't included on the original (and I want all my Floyd on disc). But usually I just supplement with an MP3.

++++++++++

Also wanted to note that a CD collection can last forever if you...

A. Burn all your discs to a lossless format for no loss of data. A lossless file is CD quality and rather large, but hard drives are cheap whereas your CD collection was not.
B. Batch convert a copy of your lossless files to small compressed lossy MP3 for portability (I use an old version of iTunes on an offline PC).

If you burn your CDs straight to MP3 and then later something happens to your CDs, you've lost their quality. So always burn to lossless, and then batch covert a copy to MP3 (iTunes simply creates MP3 copies of lossless files burned from CD).

The sun is in the east
#4520033 - 05/07/20 04:15 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 from Amazon to complete it.

Speaking of Queen, I just recently got through listening to all of their albums in their entirety and while I found some of the non-hit songs to be pretty good, most of them I found to be unremarkable and forgettable. In other words, the 2 CD greatest hits set I have is plenty for me. I guess I'm not a super hardcore Queen fan. biggrin

#4520100 - 05/08/20 02:36 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
For example, in a post above I show my two Queen Hits CDs ("Classic Queen" is a nice complement to that version of "Queen Greatest Hits", no duplicate songs). Along with the album "Play the Game" (also pictured on thread), I have a satisfactory collection of Queen, except that I still had to purchase the "Flash" MP3 from Amazon to complete it.

Speaking of Queen, I just recently got through listening to all of their albums in their entirety and while I found some of the non-hit songs to be pretty good, most of them I found to be unremarkable and forgettable. In other words, the 2 CD greatest hits set I have is plenty for me. I guess I'm not a super hardcore Queen fan. biggrin

Yeah, lots of bands are like that or much worse, like many 80's hair bands. I might know two or three songs from each band, and sometimes only their one biggest hit! eek

As you noted, at least Queen has enough good songs to make a nice Hits compilation (from CDs in pic on previous post)...

Queen Greatest Hits
==========
We Will Rock You
We Are The Champions
Another One Bites The Dust
Killer Queen
Somebody To Love
Fat Bottomed Girls
Bicycle Race
You're My Best Friend
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Now I'm Here
Play The Game
Seven Seas Of Rhye
Body Language
Save Me
Don't Stop Me Now
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
I Want To Break Free

Classic Queen
==========
A Kind Of Magic
Bohemian Rhapsody
Under Pressure
Hammer To Fall
Stone Cold Crazy
One Year Of Love
Radio Ga Ga
I'm Going Slightly Mad
I Want It All
Tie Your Mother Down
The Miracle
These Are The Days Of Our Lives
One Vision
Keep Yourself Alive
Headlong
Who Wants To Live Forever
The Show Must Go On

The Game (* included on Hits above)
==========
Play The Game *
Dragon Attack
Another One Bites The Dust *
Need Your Loving Tonight
Crazy Little Thing Called Love *
Rock It (Prime Jive)
Don't Try Suicide
Sail Away Sweet Sister
Coming Soon
Save Me *
Dragon Attack (1991 Bonus Remix)

The non-hits "Dragon Attack" and "Don't Try Suicide" were popular at my roller rink, "Sail Away Sweet Sister" also one of my favorites.

Flash Gordon
==========
I have the MP3 Deluxe Edition...
Flash Gordon (Deluxe Edition)

++++++++++

I know that "A Night At The Opera" is also popular and I'm still waiting to hear that album played by the Black Jacket Symphony (Rock cover band with rotating musicians)...
https://blackjacketsymphony.com/

I know you're not interested in cover/tributes PM, but I take what I can get. smile They did a pretty good "Dark Side of the Moon" but not as good as the dedicated Brit Floyd tribute.

Albums they're currently playing are: Pink Floyd's "The Wall", Prince's "Purple Rain", Eagles' "Hotel California", Queen's "A Night at the Opera", The Beatles' "White Album" and Led Zeppelin's "Led Zeppelin IV".

They usually play an album in its entirety (1st half of performance), and then after an intermission, a 2nd half of the rest of the band's biggest hits. I'm wondering if "The Wall" takes up the entire show?

The sun is in the east
#4520116 - 05/08/20 10:28 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

As you noted, at least Queen has enough good songs to make a nice Hits compilation (from CDs in pic on previous post)...

Any band/artist that has enough great songs to fill up 2 CD's should feel very proud of their work. As you've alluded to before, the majority of bands/artists out there might have 2 or 3 songs at most that are really good and memorable and that's it.

Another example are the Rolling Stones. I have their "Forty Licks" greatest hits collection which is on 2 CD's and that has everything I like from them. I've listened to quite a few of their non-hits and it was the same thing I experienced with Queen's non-hits.

#4520150 - 05/08/20 01:38 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, now you're touching on another good point...

"Forty Licks" is an excellent Hits compilations IMO, and also the bulk of my Stones collection. But you have to be careful with Hits packages as you sometimes get shorter versions of songs. IIRC, with "Forty Licks", the older 60's and 70's classics are good, it's mainly some songs from the late-70's to early 80's that are shortened versions ("Emotional Rescue", "Start Me Up" and "Miss You" come to mind). IMO, it's a good compromise, lots of songs on two CDs, except for one song which I had to repurchase...

Beast of Burden (Time)...
Forty Licks: 3:28
Album version: 4:25

One of my all-time favorite songs, I couldn't tolerate some of the missing guitar work in the shortened version.

I added "She's So Cold" and "Waiting for a Friend" to complete my Rolling Stones collection. I once had some of the full albums on 8-tracks from yard sales, but like you, the non-hits never grew on me. "Forty Licks" + 3 singles is enough for now.

Last edited by MarkG; 05/09/20 02:21 PM. Reason: correction

The sun is in the east
#4520156 - 05/08/20 02:16 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just wanted to add how badly I'm missing road trips during this COVID-19 lock down...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also missing my SimHQ cap which I lost in NYC. frown

The sun is in the east
#4520248 - 05/09/20 02:18 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wanted to make a correction, figured I'd do a complete listing of Forty Licks in the process for a couple of reasons:

- Show shortened songs in red.
- For any Stones (or Queen above) fans to comment on what they think might be missing in a comprehensive hits package.

Rolling Stones Forty Licks...

CD1
==========
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Last Time
Jumpin Jack Flash
You Can't Always Get What you Want
19th Nervous Breakdown
Under My Thumb
Not Fade Away
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby
Sympathy For The Devil
Mother's Little Helper
She's a Rainbow
Get Off My Cloud
Wild Horses
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Honky Tonk Women
It's All Over Now
Let's Spend The Night Together

CD2
==========
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Miss You
Beast Of Burden
Don't Stop
Happy
Angie
You Got Me Rocking
Shattered
Fool To Cry
Love Is Strong
Mixed Emotions
Keys To Your Love
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Stealing My Heart
Tumbling Dice
Undercover Of The Night
Emotional Rescue
It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)
Losing My Touch

Added Singles
==========
Beast Of Burden (Album Version)
She's So Cold
Waiting On A Friend

The sun is in the east
#4520359 - 05/10/20 04:15 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
I have very little studio stuff from the Rolling Stones.
Some good songs, but sound a bit flat when compared to what they achieve on tour.
Anyway, nothing to add to your list, but maybe plenty that should be taken away. smile

For Queen, you really should check out 'Queen II', particularly the 'Black side'
For you youngsters who don't understand the concept of a side, it's the songs from 'Ogre Battle' to 'Seven Seas of Rhye'.

#4520411 - 05/11/20 01:56 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: mikew]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by mikew
Anyway, nothing to add to your list, but maybe plenty that should be taken away. smile

No doubt. smile The different strokes thing, sometimes with age and in our case probably being from different continents. And just plain preferences.

I've had family and friends looking through my CDs wondering how I can listen to X when I'm such a fan of Y, as if certain tastes or genres should be exclusive. I also knew someone who never missed an opportunity to tell me how much they thought Rush sucked (when Rush was relevant), mainly just trying to push my buttons. My response was always, "Hey, if everyone liked Rush then I'd never get tickets, or I'd be raped by the price!" biggrin

Originally Posted by mikew
For Queen, you really should check out 'Queen II', particularly the 'Black side'
For you youngsters who don't understand the concept of a side, it's the songs from 'Ogre Battle' to 'Seven Seas of Rhye'.

Will do. I did an Amazon sampling of "A Night At The Opera" just to see why this album was chosen by the show I mentioned above, sparking some interest. Will check this one out as well, thanks.

The sun is in the east
#4520443 - 05/11/20 11:32 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

No doubt. smile The different strokes thing, sometimes with age and in our case probably being from different continents. And just plain preferences.

Well said. I've never understood people who argue over music preferences. It is all subjective.

Now if you want to discuss which bands/artists have had a greater INFLUENCE on music then that is much less subjective.

#4520473 - 05/11/20 02:59 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
So true, PM. Don't know if it's so much arguing as attitudes like this...

Nicolas Cage kills the Rocket Man [English]...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12_cVX2exw

...although you can take it a bit far... biggrin

Best car scene ever Tommy Boy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLM6_rUp6NU

++++++++++

A cool comment on the studio version of Neil Young's "Old Man" referenced above...

"This song really must be listened to through headphones. Neil is a master of stereo. You have the 6 string on your right, the banjo and piano on the left, and his voice centered squarely in your brain."

tuner

The sun is in the east
#4520685 - 05/12/20 10:46 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm on Amazon reading reviews and checking out some recommended Queen deep cuts, when I realized there's another omission from "Forty Licks". Gotta also have this one (Stones' version of Beatlemania?)...

The Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEj8lUx0gwY

Studio version...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSRvcdlgSI

The sun is in the east
#4520726 - 05/13/20 11:07 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm on Amazon reading reviews and checking out some recommended Queen deep cuts, when I realized there's another omission from "Forty Licks". Gotta also have this one (Stones' version of Beatlemania?)...

It's really inexplicable why that song was left out of "Forty Licks". I don't think it was due to any copyright issue as was the case with "Flash" being omitted from the 2 CD Greatest Hits Queen set that I bought back in the 90's.

#4521660 - 05/20/20 09:33 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I just realized that "Please Come Home For Christmas" is misspelled as "Chrismas". This song was an Amazon MP3 purchase and if I purchased it with a misspelled title, it wouldn't be the first time. frown

Another spelling/organizational problem I've had over the years is that the slightest error in a song title can give you duplicate songs on a playlist without them being detected as duplicates. It almost always happens when letting whatever internet database automatically name my songs when ripping a CD. And if not misspelled, the title is often just plain wrong! Plus I don't need "(Remastered)" added to the title, ever! I burned my CDs years ago, so maybe the current automatic song labeling features are more accurate today. If you don't stay on top of this while manually making corrections when you find them, as well as keeping your singles and albums properly organized, you can wind up with a mess of a music library.

I'm going to fix "Chrismas" right now because it bugs me (pic and music library).

EDIT: Cumbersomely fixed with MS Paint (freaking stupid Ribbon). I stole the "t" from "Bringin' on the Heartbreak". smile

Last edited by MarkG; 05/20/20 10:06 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4524228 - 06/07/20 01:46 PM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
Bremont Offline
Bremont  Offline

#4527667 - 06/27/20 06:43 AM Re: My Top 100 All-Time Greatest Songs [Re: MarkG]  
JonathanNzF Offline
JonathanNzF  Offline

I love them! and what do you say about their adolescence:?!

Last edited by JonathanNzF; 06/27/20 06:44 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.