Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 167 of 366 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 365 366
#4517991 - 04/25/20 12:05 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Thanks for the warm welcome back, everyone.

Toby's in the back seat?? Hopefully that won't last long, Fullofit!

Swany still going strong as ever...

But no Collins any longer! Horrible news, Raine, but I like the new chap already.

Carrick - my new chap also got an N23 on only his 2nd day! I hope he survives as long as your fellow smile

Sgt Archibald "Dinky" Cartwright
RFC 29, Izel Les Hameaux, Flanders, France
24th April 1917

[Linked Image]

Toby's claim is awaiting confirmation following a brazen attack on the Hun field at Avelin. Not exactly a cakewalk getting started in April 1917, is it? Exciting though smile

Apologies for the handwriting.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4518035 - 04/25/20 12:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Harry - I hope Dinky's claim is awarded him. And I don't imagine that starting a new man during bloody April is a cakewalk. Love the letter format.

Carrick - Nigel's rover pilots did a fine job. He can send them over to Vert Galant if he'd like, the boys there could use such an addition.

Fullofit - Toby in a two-seater, I just don't think I'm going to get use to it. Still, the DH4 is a very nice two-seater.

25 April 1917
66 Squadron R.F.C.
Vert Galand, France

Out at first light, B Flight was tasked to knock down a Hun gasbag directly south of Monchy-le-Preux
[Linked Image]

Captain Swanson had to make a second pass after which the obs balloon begrudgingly went up in flames.
[Linked Image]

Flying through cloud canyons at 14,000' during the afternoon patrol east of Arras.
[Linked Image]

The lads of B Flight caught a lone V-strutter on high and Swany watched with pride as his wingman, Lt. Corruthers, sent it down out of control and trailing smoke.
[Linked Image]

Where the hell did he come from! While the Captain was looking back keeping tabs on his flight his own mount was suddenly taking hits. He looked ahead to find a red-nosed Alb directly in front of him, spitting hate.
[Linked Image]

After a protracted fight that brought the pair down below the clouds and into the rain, Swany at last got the upper hand and sent his attacker tumbling away.
[Linked Image]

Captain Swanson continued to follow his prey, making sure it wasn't a ruse. Despite the Hun's best efforts to regain control of his kite he eventually bounced hard into the mud behind his own lines.
[Linked Image]

In the next moment Swany was engulfed in a tremendous explosion and the world flashed black as his mount was shaken to its core. The Captain was dazed and his ears were ringing, the sounds around him muffled. As he looked about he realized his bottom wing was broken and tattered, barely hanging together. A direct hit from Archie!
[Linked Image]

Swany still had some control and gingerly coaxed the Pup west over the trenches, drawing fire from the enemy troops below. By some miracle he made it across to his own side and continued flying straight on, looking for a clear opening in front of him somewhere. He didn't dare try to make any unnecessary turns. He passed a disinterested herd of cows just as he was about to touch down onto a long, narrow, unplowed field.
[Linked Image]

As he rolled to a stop the undercarriage collapsed and the prop dug into the wet sod, bringing the Le Rhône to a grinding halt. A small church lay just ahead and the Captain determined it would be his first stop. He felt an immediate "thank you" to God was in order.
[Linked Image]

#4518036 - 04/25/20 12:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
And stop fiddling with that camera!
Yikes! Scary stuff.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4518043 - 04/25/20 01:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

To paraphrase Igor - "What camera?" biggrin

Scary stuff for sure Fullofit. I thought it was over, and the screen did actually go black for an instant from the smoke of the AA blast. I expected to see the ground directly in front of me when things came back to light. When I did land, as the plane rolled to a stop it kept getting lower and lower. When I went to the outside view the bottom of the fuselage was actually down in the grass. Pilot health was at 95%. Lucky lucky lucky.

#4518050 - 04/25/20 01:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lucky indeed. So the planes sinking in the mud continue to plague Flanders. Oh, the immersion! Toby had a close encounter of his own today. Report later.

Harry, Toby is still up front, still piloting. The chap that’s in the back is also named Toby, hence the confusion. Fingers crossed for that first kill confirmation. P.S. my eyes are going cross from the cursive.

#4518069 - 04/25/20 02:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Salute,

If i may, I'll jump back in with Willi. Seems he picked up a bought of influencer while on leave back in Dez 1916.
No Doctors were able to help, but Willi pulled through while resting at home. His biggest disappointment came in a letter from HQ.
Because of his long absence from duty, his promotion was stopped and Jasta 6 had to have someone else to take command.
Willi is to report to Jasta 27 to get his "wings back" as it were.

Attached Files willi.jpg
Last edited by lederhosen; 04/25/20 02:39 PM.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4518106 - 04/25/20 06:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Looking very smart !
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4518137 - 04/25/20 08:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
25 April, 1917 04:50 morning mission
St. Pol-sur-Mer, Flanders Sector
RNAS-2
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
11.3 confirmed kills

Sqn Cdr Fellowes thought it was the right time to use the DH.4 to its full potential as a bombing platform. They were sent to Ghistelles to introduce themselves. After some time crossing the trenches they reached the airfield and dropped their bombs. Not many of them found their target. Toby was sure they’re going to be sent back for another run.

25 April, 1917 13:00 afternoon mission
RNAS-2
11.3 confirmed kills

They must have inflicted more damage than Toby thought on their morning run, because they were not sent to Ghistelles again. Instead, they’ve been ordered to do some arty spotting along front sector between Nieuport and Diksmuide. After the mission and while on their way back to the aerodrome they were bounced by some Albatroses. Toby noticed one on his tail just in time. He had to take evasive action to trow the Hun off. Not so easy with this large bird. He was hit. He then looked around for his attacker and got himself into a head on joust with the Albatros. The bloody thing was flying straight at him on a collision course. Mulberry managed to dive in last moment but his plane shuddered as the Hun passed by. One of the wings caught on the rudder and ripped it of. Toby could only see a jumble of flittering wings and a crash behind him.

YouTube Link

His machine was okay, although the rudder bar was useless. Dobbs is going to kill him if he survives this! He was turning home when another Hun flew just in front of him. Toby didn’t hesitate. His Vickers hit the machine, but the big plane was about to stall and had to level out. The Boche attempted to get away by climbing, but he didn’t know that once this big kite gathers momentum, it goes. Mulberry easily matched the Albatros altitude and placed more vent holes in it. The Hun went into a spiralling dive and never recovered.

YouTube Link

Toby and the rest decided to land at Furnes instead. McBride in one of the Strutters was missing.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1917-04-25 PM.jpg

#4518167 - 04/25/20 11:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
2Lt , Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
2 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

April 26, 1917.

Caught a flight of Rumplers in a landing pattern as we attacked an Aerodrome. The Rovers Flight 3 a/c attacked 1st the my 5 a/c mixed it. I saw 2 of the e/a down, but we had 1 lost ( a flamer) and 3 a/c damaged' The target was barely touched as they were fully alerted by the air shoot out.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-04-25 16-01-21-37.jpgCFS3 2020-04-25 16-03-07-26.jpgCFS3 2020-04-25 16-02-51-31.jpgCFS3 2020-04-25 16-03-47-45.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/25/20 11:25 PM.
#4518239 - 04/26/20 04:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
26 April, 1917 06:50 morning mission
RNAS-2
11.4 confirmed kills

The Albatros Toby shot down has been confirmed but it only made up for the earful from Dobbs for mangling his plane’s rudder. His words were: mutilation. Mulberry still owed the Huns for McBride. Poor fellow crashed while attempting to land his damaged plane.
This morning Fellowes sent them to attack Roulers junction. It was foggy and the clouds were present all around. Despite that Toby was able to find the railyard and drop all his bombs on target. The supplies on fire made for a nice warm contrast against the cold grey of the sky. Mulberry was on his way back and already on friendly side of the mud when he noticed Archie bursts in the distance. Enemy was about. He made the decision to avoid any scuffle in this weather and pointed his aircraft away from the bursts, but it was too late. He’d been spotted and now two bloodthirsty Huns were on his tail. His engine was singing, working like a dream (Dobbs’ words) but the Albatroses were gaining. He had no choice but to face them, otherwise they’d pick him apart during landing. He fired as they merged scattering them to four winds. He then continued straight and when far enough, came back at them. Again, firing at them as they came. Eventually one of them must have been hit and decided to withdraw. Toby followed him down looking out for the other Hun, but he couldn’t spot him. He concentrated on the one in front of him. Mulberry noticed a red “S” on the fuselage. Could it be the German pilot’s first letter of his surname? It was not a lucky charm in any case. The Boche spiralled to the ground and crashed into the trees. Toby let out a big sigh of relief. These Huns aren’t so easy to shoot down in a bomber.

YouTube Link

#4518242 - 04/26/20 04:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I wish there was a way to convince the gunners that their lives are actually at risk when out in a two seater... I think an interview without coffee behind the hangers might be called for!

#4518266 - 04/26/20 09:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Trooper, let’s hope the new expansion will improve their behaviour. For now, the gunner will just have to keep his hands in at all times and yell: “Wheee!” every time the ride goes up and down.

#4518273 - 04/26/20 11:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

#4518274 - 04/26/20 11:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

my favorite

#4518275 - 04/26/20 11:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
2Lt , Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
3 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

April 27, 1917.

Rats, just got my kite out of repairs and now 8 more holes to patch. My 3 a/c section was on balloon Defense and mixed it up with 6 e/a in two flights one at 4000 the other Higher. The e/a ( Red nose/ Blue bodies} kept at us as we scattered then ran back in firing. Reverse or turn then repeat, The Gas bag was being hauled down the last that I saw it. I thought that all of us made it till the reform the spotted Lt Harry low, wobbling. then just went down into the farmland below.
No claims. Landed with 2 beat up N-17s The Adjutant said my last claim was rejected.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-04-26 16-23-43-23.jpgCFS3 2020-04-26 16-25-53-84.jpgCFS3 2020-04-26 16-28-25-06.jpg
#4518313 - 04/27/20 11:37 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, that is an excellent rear gunner impression. I wonder why enemy gunners are always alert and great shots? Is it to make up for their straight-and-level-while-being-shot-at pilots?
Carrick, too bad about that denied claim. Nigel must be the most unlucky pilot on the Western Front.

#4518399 - 04/27/20 08:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, it's no surprise that Toby is still swatting Huns out of the sky in a DH4. Best of luck with your new squadron!

Harry, great start for your new man. I love the letters. And congratulations on the first kill as well. We'll have to coordinate stories since 29 and 60 Squadrons are just across the field from each other.

Lederhosen, it's great to have you back!

Carrick, I second the motion to nominate Nigel as the unluckiest pilot in France!

Lou, now THAT was a near miss. I'm so glad that Swany was able to put his machine down safely. I remember one of my pilots in the Centennial campaign, a German whom I was just getting to know, was flying along in a clear sky when the very first Archie shell vaporised his machine. Woff can be cruel!

A Bluenoser’s War: the letters of 2d Lieut. Michael Colin McKinnon, R.F.C.

27 April 1917

Dear Robbie,

Well, here’s another letter from your gimpy brother. My new cot is first-rate and the carpenter has even rigged up a hinged sheet of plywood under the mattress that can be propped up so that I can sit up in bed (partially, at least) with my back straight. The back still hurts like blazes if I move it about. The MO is coming Sunday to check it out. He said last time that after three or four days he’s going to get me moving about. Good luck to him! The recording officer, Guy, popped in and dropped off a huge pile of letters for me to censor before they go into the post tonight. I’m working harder in bed than I did in the cockpit of my Nieuport.

You feel a bit guilty reading other people’s letters, at least for the first little while. Most are mundane family affairs, like “How is little Maggie?” and “I hope the money I sent helps with the landlord.” Some of them are real insights, though. We have one fellow who writes very intimate letters to four different women! Another fellow is some kind of lay preacher and writes long letters advising members of his flock how to avoid sin and degradation. Yet another seems to have every member of his family in gaol. But then there’s a fellow whom I’ve already met, a particularly oily mechanic, who writes the loveliest poetry to his wife. And there is another who is jockeying for position within his constituency’s Labour Party Association. He writes the most impassioned letters and would make a smashing Bolshevik.

Our man Bish is on a tear again. He went up six times yesterday, according to the RO. And he’s claimed two more Huns as well. Both were on solitaire patrols, what they call here a “roving commission.” The Major has given him carte blanche to go over the lines on his own and doesn’t seem to question his claims. I’m not suggesting anything Bish does is improper but some of the other chaps feel they don’t get the same deference from the boss. In any event, General Trenchard came for lunch yesterday and apparently was very keen to hear Bishop’s stories. And Bish was wonderfully eager to oblige. As one fellow put it, “If Boom stopped short Bishop would never see the light of day again.”

Okay, that was a coincidence! Since I wrote the previous paragraph, I had a visit from “Boom” himself. The General was good enough to pop his head in and congratulate me on my latest victories. The funny thing was that I had was still unaware that they had been confirmed. I think everyone assumed I already knew. In any event, the Albatros that I sent down out of control t three days ago was seen to crash, and the balloon on Wednesday was mine beyond dispute since I was the only one close enough to get blown up by the thing! That gives me three Huns to my credit. Not bad for the new kid on the street.

That’s all for now. I have about twenty more letters to get through before I can knock it off. I received yours of 20 March and the story about the hockey match. Does Dad’s work still have him working out of the Naval Dockyard? The harbour must be wonderfully busy these days.

Write soon,

Mike

#4518410 - 04/27/20 09:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF_ Lou

Although admittedly a bad shot, He needs more ammo Maybe a Vickers with 250 rds. or Point Blank range for each drum of 47 rds of 303 cal.

#4518416 - 04/27/20 09:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
2Lt , Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
3 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

End of Month Status:

23 missions
27.7 Hrs flight time.

1 Rfc Sgn: A/c N-17 and N-23's

On Hand 8 machines
Res: 0
Repair 2

Losses ( April} 6 a/c with pilots KIA

Enemy Units I.D. West Jasta 8 East Jasta 18

#4518427 - 04/27/20 10:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, good to see that your pilot is on the mend. The doctor seems optimistic about Mikes recovery and multiple confirmations to boot. Congratulations, it’s all starting to look up.
Carrick, you’re done for the week? But it’s only Monday!

27 April, 1917 06:45
RNAS-2
11.4 confirmed kills

The claim for the Albatros with the red “S” has been denied. Apparently due to the foggy conditions no one could see much.
Today’s task was to bomb factories behind the lines, across from Diksmuide. The Huns were waiting for them. As soon as Toby’s flight was airborne, they descended upon the bombers. Mulberry turned around as soon as he noticed the melee behind him, but was accosted by one of the Huns before he could reach the main fight. The battle became a personal joust with the Albatros, who eventually lost the contest. When Toby looked around again no one else could be seen. The mission was scrapped and the planes were already entering landing pattern to be looked after.

YouTube Link

Page 167 of 366 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social