Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 55 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 54 55
#4517942 - 04/24/20 06:10 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Safe travels with that haul. Nice little boost to the wallet!

Actually a decent day here, so I'll be doing what I can outside which means no playing inside. Oh well, I'll take the change of pace!

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 04/24/20 06:11 PM.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4517966 - 04/24/20 08:56 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The good ship Mad Hops tied up at Fowler Orbital in Dvorsi this afternoon, having traveled 53,296 light years since setting sail to Colonia 12 days ago. What a trip.

That was a lot of fun. I said earlier I felt like I was missing one of the core experiences in Elite by never having really dove all that deep. I know Colonia is just a pitstop for some folks, and it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. For me though it was really cool and I accomplished a goal. Colonia is famous in the Elite lore, and it's something you know about as soon as you start playing the game. In a way it took on a mystical hue in my mind, the whole notion of a self-sufficient, thriving free society so far from the bubble. So I've always had the goal of going there in the back of my mind, but never really determined to actually do it. There's always some sort of thing to occupy me instead.

I didn't even decide to do it until I was several thousand light years out, but the prospect of pinning four more blueprints and visiting Colonia took over. As the untagged systems began mounting I had to just keep going. The discoveries were a motivator, and the thing that drew me to Elite. I had gotten several hundred in my Palin trip, then more here and there after. But this trip was something else entirely. After I began racking up the first-discoveries I logged on to EDSM to see some stats and data. I had registered there a year ago. But I think I never linked EDMC to it with an API key and so I had no history. That's bad on one hand, but on the other it meant that everything it does show were found on this Colonia trip. Unfortunately I didn't see this until I was already 3-4,000 light years out, so all those planets and stars are missing. Is what it is. I know I had found one ELW before this, but no idea of anything else. Still, here's what I know for certain I got on this trip for first-discoveries according to EDSM.

Systems: 558
HMCs: 1276
Rocky: 957
Icy: 1032
Earth-like: 9
Water World: 76
Ammonia World: 11

If I add in the stars, gas giants and others it's a lot more. My commander name is now firmly stitched in to the galaxy smile

Distance Flown: 53,296
Jumps: 887
Systems: 854
Scans: 6,699
Exploration Data: 536 million

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4517968 - 04/24/20 09:08 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Welcome home and grats, D! Not sure I could ever commit to that long of a trip, mebe one day when I’m utterly and totally bored with the Bubble.

#4517974 - 04/24/20 09:49 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good to be back. Thanks Bo.

On the way past I stopped off and saw Ram Tah as I had either forgotten to pin a blueprint there or it had slipped. I pinned lightweight heatsinks of all things. He's not got much to offer really. I then stopped off and saw the Sarge, unlocking him with the shield data he wants and then getting to G5 access with some of this exploration data I'm carrying. I pinned overcharged cannons. Not multi. Sooner or later I'm gonna build a gunboat and use those things.

So what to do now? I'm thinking about heading out to Ceos, Sothis, Robigo area and stack some transport in the Orca. Never did this and from all reports it's a lucrative trade and good for superpower rank. I also want to get the combat rank moving again and start using a KWS. When Bo and I were comparing stats one night his highest bounty put mine to shame. I want to bump that higher.

No, check that. I think I need a medium pad ship to make a go out near Robigo. Python then.

Last edited by DBond; 04/24/20 10:31 PM.

#4517985 - 04/24/20 11:29 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Bah, get a Vette and come to the dark side! We’ll get the crew saddled up and park our azzes at a CNB and get u and Rec ranked right up. As much as you enjoy theory crafting builds, the Vette is a fun one to do. So many ways to do it.

#4518033 - 04/25/20 12:14 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'll probably get a Vette around the time you go to Colonia biggrin

But ya never know and I do like building ships. Like you said the theory crafting, and agonizing over picking this instead of that. First, I'd need the rank, which I do not have yet.

A bit of a shake up in my fleet last night. I sold the AspX and the Python, my two longest-serving ships.The AspX I had since the very early days and the Python soon after. I never used the Asp anymore, and nothing it can do that my other ships cannot I suppose. I also decided that I have new minimum thresholds for any ship in my fleet.

One, it must jump at least 30 light years in it's role trim. If it cannot jump 30 outfitted for it's purpose it's gotta go.

Two, it must be capable of minimum 500 boost in role trim, and the DBX just edges it.

So the Python had to go smile

To partially fill that void, I bought a Phantom. I set it up to run transport near Robigo and flew it out there. It carries less than the python for sure, but it's 100 m/s faster. and can get at least 30 jump with all cabins. I can swap out the GFSDB, sccop and other stuff to stack missions, and 30 jump means just two jumps between Sothis/Ceos and Robigo instead of three. The Phantom is a bit cobbled-together at the moment, and lacks refinement, but I'll get to that.

#4518373 - 04/27/20 06:16 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Ceos/Sothis/Robigo affair came to an end pretty quickly when I found I had the wrong ship for what I wanted to do as I talked about in the Krait thread. I did manage to run a few. There are stackable one-jump sightseeing missions, and VIP transport too. Good for chasing Fed rank and the pay is good. But there aren't many Fed-aligned factions, some are independent and most missions are criminal smuggling. My iced-out Orca is good for these, but I worry with hotter ships, especially in regions where I have not established a network of allies. So I flew back to Dvorsi to run some missions and build Krait number three.

Since I left for Colonia a couple weeks ago my home system has seen some changes. There is a state of war, the controlling faction swapped from Imperial to independent. The good missions are gone and replaced with ones I don't want to do. Just one faction now is in boom. I might have a look about and see if I can find a system that's in boom across the board and move temporarily to get a better mission selection.

I did follow through and mounted a KWS on my sweeper Krait. I bought an A since I had the power overhead. After using it once I liked the boost in cash, but it took too long so I flew to Achenar next door and put G5 fast-scan on it. Now it's a beautiful thing smile

I saw someone on the F Dev boards say you can set it up for automatic scan by setting it to caps lock and you never have to touch it to use the KWS. For this to work it would need to be in the current fire group though right? Does anyone use their KWS this way?

#4518385 - 04/27/20 07:00 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Fast scan is the way to go on a KWS. Unfortunately, right after I discovered that I removed the scanner from most of my fleet as I find I just don’t use it enough to warrant the tied up utility slot. I’d much rather have an additional SB than the extra geld.

#4518421 - 04/27/20 10:01 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah for sure, I agree and that's why I'm just getting around to it now. I don't care about the extra cash, but I want to set a new high bounty claim and that will take the KWS. I've gotten nothing but small ship spawns since mounting it of course. I'll use it until I am happy with my highest bounty. It freshens up combat a little for me too, something different to do for a while.

#4518503 - 04/28/20 02:01 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hit up Dav's last night for the first time in ages. Great haul of the mid-level manufactured mats that I've been burning up lately. I've been putting a hell of a lot of time in to Elite. and since returning in February I'd guess I've engineered the equivalent of six full ships. Four totally from scratch and the improvements I've made to existing ships is worth another couple. So that's a lot of mats.

I've built a mining Krait II, a fast express/rumble bus Krait II, an iEagle, and a Vulture. I've essentially re-built the DBX and Orca, and all the other ships have made progress too. And because I tend to use the same mods over and over it really puts a strain on the supply chain. So that means a regular rotation of mat gathering missions. Surface prospecting, which I am still doing the old-fashioned way, but I should start looking at geological sites. I might do that today. My raws are looking pretty good at the moment. I've done quite a bit of this recently, and on the trip to Colonia especially. Plus my temporary home base of Moxon's Mojo had a raw trader, so I used it to even out the stocks.

Encoded mats are in real good shape. I do a lot of scanning, and this is the one category where they fill up regularly. So occasional visits to the encoded trader to trade up and free space for the lower, full ones means I have plenty of every type of encoded mat, except DWEs, which I have just five.I fly a lot of sightseeing missions and MEFs (G5) are common rewards so I always have plenty of trade capital in encoded.

Manufactured mats though were running out. All of my combat lately has been in my sweeper Krait, scooping up mats. But it cannot seem to keep up. I was low or out of a number of ones I need like electrochemical arrays, polymer capacitors, heat vanes and that sort of thing. So I flew to Dav's in the DBX and ran about 14 circuits, getting a great haul of these mats that takes many of these stocks to at least 30 on hand and that will help a lot.

Pharmaceutical Isolators are probably my most precious mat, being used for dirty drives which I really want to get all the way through, and am not OK with leaving it a little short of complete. So I'm completely out after finishing the latest Krait. Until now I've been just popping in to HGEs, grabbing the proto stuff you always find and trading it for the ones I need. But it would be a nice boost to find some of these directly and not by trade. If I recall they can be found in HGEs in outbreak systems and also as drops from Elite Anacondas and big transport ships. Maybe a visit to a CNB is in order.

I think I'll make that my shortest-term goal, Get more PIs smile

#4518652 - 04/29/20 12:32 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was mostly unsuccessful however.

I spent a lot of time in a local CNB, which was great for the rank as the spawns were awesome with tons of Elite and Deadly NPCs. I was specifically looking for wanted T-9s, but found zero. I did blow up a few T-7s which yielded good mats but no PIs. Instead, I flew cover for the clean T-9s I found, swatting all the pirates off them.

Later I did some RES hunting, and did eventually get two (six) PIs from Deadly Anacondas. Nowhere near as many as I hoped, but enough for one more dirty drive smile

#4518712 - 04/29/20 05:58 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Try an Anarchy system where everyone is Lawless. Can kill em all with no repercussions. Won’t make any coin unless KWS them, but you can farm all you want.

#4518721 - 04/29/20 06:39 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good call Bo. I'll do that. Need more PIs, but I went crazy on the mat farming yesterday and sure got a lot. I'll do some more this evening and then I should be set for a while. A couple ships easy lol.

#4518726 - 04/29/20 07:08 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
copter

#4518824 - 04/30/20 12:43 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I had terrible luck. I went to anarchy systems, RES sites, and CNBs -- and CNBs IN anarchy systems -- and didn't find a single T-9. So still stuck on six PIs. I got a sh!tload of other mats though.

I've moved again, ending up in Barnwell Station in a system called UGP 145. It is an easy system name to type (very important), is an Ocellus station (you know I hate Coriolis stations) and what I was really looking for was dual-alignment in systems in boom. That is, having both Fed and Imp factions present. So far it's been good. I left Dvorsi for the time being as there is a state of war and the mission boards are crap.

I have a thread going on the Frontier boards about finding the qualifying stations

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/how-to-find-dual-aligned-stations.543526/#post-8432461

#4518847 - 04/30/20 02:02 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
An Anarchy system in Famine would be the Holy Grail for PI’s, I’d think. Good luck finding them, tho...

#4518856 - 04/30/20 02:47 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, another likely tip. But I don't enjoy hunting specific mats, and I suppose most agree. Not good gameplay. But I'm always so low on the PIs that any tips are useful Thanks Bo.

I have enough to do one more dirty drive with kind rolls. A few more would be good. I just need to find one HGE with six of them and I'd be set.

#4518871 - 04/30/20 04:22 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Yah, without fail if you’re LOOKING for something specific, you def won’t find it. All you can do is try n stack the deck to increase the probability of it appearing. Collect everything and trade, that’s how I roll. Pretty sure, that’s how we all do.

#4518892 - 04/30/20 06:21 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, I think most of us do this. Someone here is anti-trader as I recall. But for me it's a necessary evil. But I think if I could at least target some PIs I'd get further ahead of the game.

I think I'll head out next saying aloud 'gotta find me some Imperial Shielding' and PIs will be dropping like rain.

#4518894 - 04/30/20 06:41 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Lol, tru dat!

Page 13 of 55 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.