Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4517444 - 04/21/20 02:18 PM Topology Mods  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Description

These mods replace original CFS3 terrain files (namely msh files) with new ones of greater resolution. CFS3 terrain was built upon Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data with an approximate 900m land cover resolution (SRTM30, i.e. 30 arc-second). In an effort to get a more detailed landscape, I've rebuilt the terrain using data provided with an approximate 30m land cover resolution (SRTM1, i.e. 1 arc-second).

Original CFS3 terrain files are tiled to cover land at approximate resolutions of 128m to 37km of land. The lower is obviously not 128m resolution, but a 128m cut from a maximum resolution of 900m (data constraint).

The new terrain files aim at covering land resolution as follows:

Code
- Mod 1) Low resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec lo) ---------- by Xavier Jouve]          : ~1024m to 131km
- Mod 2) Medium resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec med) ------- by Xavier Jouve]         : ~512m to 131km
- Mod 3) High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec hi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]            : ~128m to 37km
- Mod 4) Super High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec shi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]     : ~64m to 37km
- Mod 5) Extremely High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec exhi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]: ~32m to 37km

Content

CFS3 terrain files are compressed and dispatched into 2 folders as follows:

Code
/terrain

cfs3msh1.zip (150,773ko)
cfs3msh1.zx (11,174ko)
cfs3msh3.zip (14,232ko)
cfs3msh3.zx (1,030ko)

/terrain2

cfs3msh2.zip (39,948ko)
cfs3msh2.zx (2,852ko)

The New Terrain Data mods replace each of these files only. No changes are made towards other files of the game. Each terrain mod consists of a set of these files but delivers a different level of resolution. The level of resolution directly impacts the size of the files as the number of mesh inside them may vary in a great magnitude. For example, the mod for the lowest level of resolution weights 4.8Mo after installation into the game, and the one for the highest resolution weights 876Mo after installation into the game. In addition to the change in disk space, you have to understand that once installed, these mods may impact your in-game performance.

As shown above, original terrain files account for a total of 220Mo disk space. You may wish to take this figure as a reference when choosing a mod. Below are the mod sizes after installation into the game:

Code
- Mod 1) Low resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec lo) ---------- by Xavier Jouve]          : 4.8Mo
- Mod 2) Medium resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec med) ------- by Xavier Jouve]         : 8.3Mo
- Mod 3) High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec hi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]            : 90.9Mo
- Mod 4) Super High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec shi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]     : 540.4Mo
- Mod 5) Extremely High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec exhi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]: 876Mo

FYI, Mod 3 (high res) embraces the same theoretical level of resolution as that of CFS3 original files for a disk space of 90.9Mo instead of 220Mo.

Installation

In any case, I would recommend that you backup the original files. Please do so in order to be able to easily get back to normal state.

Then, choose the mod you want to use, based on resolution or on size, and uncompress the downloaded archive anywhere on your hard drive. After that, you can manually put the above-mentioned files to their respective folders (replacing CFS3 files), or use JSGME after having placed the mod root folder in the MODS folder.

Use at your own risk. However, if you properly backup original files, then you won't take many risks. wink

Links

Code
- Mod 1) Low resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec lo) ---------- by Xavier Jouve]          : https://mega.nz/file/dmYzBISI#IS9QNAPelMP3hh0vMrER136kf3vc2YHxVPWsrIuMN2M
- Mod 2) Medium resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec med) ------- by Xavier Jouve]         : https://mega.nz/file/ZjZxDIJI#Z9TxkQxO0FTISrh6kK64YSWZvCd-gtjmoQXKWqI0FCg
- Mod 3) High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec hi) 2.01--- by Xavier Jouve]            : https://mega.nz/file/4q5AWQCR#rX4QceLdfSbkpDcAGl7QfvWKyqT66uA0Xc3DClvq5Tw
- Mod 4) Super High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec shi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]     : https://mega.nz/file/4uoiUBjC#bKpAryouvB-uPwt32gU31o-Ppg1z42fLwA7ox0hRxvU
- Mod 5) Extremely High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec exhi) ------- by Xavier Jouve]: https://mega.nz/file/1zB0gBCZ#QtVYyXWZD_pdjH5q1xuOaig-sJikUYcMeYBB38G3qIo

Post Scriptum

1) You can use only one mod at a time ^^
2) Although you might very well don't see much difference with the original terrain, in addition to greater resolution, these mods embarks on a slightly relocated terrain to fit with my river mods

Last edited by xjouve; 12/18/21 04:58 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4517449 - 04/21/20 02:45 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
This sounds utterly fantastique, xjouve, but I am somewhat confused as to what this particular mod does and how it fits with your upcoming river mod. Can you post a brief explanation or maybe even a screen pic to illustrate what the mod does? Or, does it just sharpen up terrain and ground objects (trees, buildings, etc.). Thank you.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4517450 - 04/21/20 02:47 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Any chance these mods can (now or even potentially later) actually improve the annoying stutter in this sim that seems to be related to texture loading? It's easy to understand that higher resolutions would be more of a load on the system...so, any chance the lower resolutions would *lessen* the stutter? Which mod would you say is equivalent, in terms of load, to the unmodified game? (or is even mod1/low res more load than WOFF default?)

TBH, even though I thought I would ask, I believe there's more to the stutter than just terrain...but if there's promise, it may provide insight to other ways the stutter could be addressed (Although I personally am fairly convinced it's a problem in the CFS3 code that WOFF simply cannot overcome.)

#4517456 - 04/21/20 03:12 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
download says needs a decryption key?

#4517485 - 04/21/20 05:24 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
This sounds utterly fantastique, xjouve, but I am somewhat confused as to what this particular mod does and how it fits with your upcoming river mod. Can you post a brief explanation or maybe even a screen pic to illustrate what the mod does? Or, does it just sharpen up terrain and ground objects (trees, buildings, etc.). Thank you.

Thanks Bob. smile Sure, I should have been more specific.

Here's an example looking at the Somme region

Map of the area

[Linked Image]

SRTM30 data; as you can see the terrain elevation is not really sharp

[Linked Image]

SRTM1 data; much sharper smile

[Linked Image]

So, even if I had to resize it prior to turn it into CFS3 terrain files, this data provides with much more accuracy regarding variations in land elevation. In term of river fitment, it is indeed better to have a sharper environment. But above all, there was a problem with CFS3 original terrain.

In fact, the original terrain and the rivers don't fit well. It is not data related, but something is wrong in rivers placement or in terrain placement. Or, in both of them. smile I can't say for sure, but I suspect that terrain placement which is not a raw process as that of rivers placement is inaccurate. Without rivers you won't really matter but once you have rivers, in non-flat areas, then you don't want see them going up and down crossing a hill...

Originally Posted by kksnowbear
Any chance these mods can (now or even potentially later) actually improve the annoying stutter in this sim that seems to be related to texture loading? It's easy to understand that higher resolutions would be more of a load on the system...so, any chance the lower resolutions would *lessen* the stutter? Which mod would you say is equivalent, in terms of load, to the unmodified game? (or is even mod1/low res more load than WOFF default?)

TBH, even though I thought I would ask, I believe there's more to the stutter than just terrain...but if there's promise, it may provide insight to other ways the stutter could be addressed (Although I personally am fairly convinced it's a problem in the CFS3 code that WOFF simply cannot overcome.)

Well, you should try with mods which are smaller than CFS3 original files and see if it helps. Try mod 3 first, theoretically you should have the same resolution level (but with more accuracy) than originally with 100Mo less in load. Personally, I won't go for the low res.

CFS3 terrain files have to be seen as layers, each one being a grid of files of a specific size. Archives included into the mods consist of these kind of layers:

Code
- The 128 level msh files : first layer with "close-up" resolution (128m files are loaded when you are flying under 128m and you need to see details of the ground)
- The 256 level msh files : ... loaded >128m and <256m
- The 512 level msh files: ... loaded >256m  and <512m
- ... etc
- The 37k level msh files : last layer with "far away" resolution (37km files are loaded when you are flying at high altitudes -don't know the precise figure- and you don't need to see tiny details of the ground)

As you can see below, the size of the area is pretty wide to say the least. So, imagine now the number of files you need to cover it when you go closer and closer to the ground; you need much more files to display 128m resolution than 512m for instance. In order words, if you are flying at 100m to the ground but you don't care about getting more details to what you get at 512m high, then you could save your machine an extra load by removing layers of higher resolution.

Of course, your machine won't load all the files at once, but the more the mumber of files you are embarking for a level a resolution the more the time your machine is taking to find the file corresponding to your location.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by orbyxP
download says needs a decryption key?

Sorry; wrong links. Correction done. smile

Last edited by xjouve; 04/21/20 05:41 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4517502 - 04/21/20 07:35 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks Xjouve ..downloaded and hope to try it out in a few hrs cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4517505 - 04/21/20 08:57 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Downloaded, Xavier. Thank you.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4517508 - 04/21/20 09:32 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
xjouve, I have a moment before work and installed the extreme hi res and took it for a spin in QC. Help me understand what I should be seeing different in these two screenshots. One with the hi res and the other with vanilla WOFF.

with hi res

[Linked Image]

vanilla

[Linked Image]

Attached Files with hires.jpgwithout.jpg
Last edited by orbyxP; 04/21/20 09:37 PM.
#4517512 - 04/21/20 09:41 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Although hard to see in such an extreme close-up, I think xjouve is saying we should be able to more easily notice differences in land elevation and undulations with the high-res version. It will also fit better with his upcoming river mod.

#4517521 - 04/21/20 10:08 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: orbyxP]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Originally Posted by orbyxP
xjouve, I have a moment before work and installed the extreme hi res and took it for a spin in QC. Help me understand what I should be seeing different in these two screenshots. One with the hi res and the other with vanilla WOFF.

BuckeyeBob is right. You have more undulations, espacially flying low, and of course depending on the area. I must admit that without rivers, the main interest of using this mod is not really the addition of details, but more likely the size of the files.

Anyway, here is an example. This is close to Balleuil. With and without.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4517525 - 04/21/20 11:03 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Hey, fantastic! Thanks for doing this. I see some nice terrain gradients that weren't there before, some hills that didn't exist earlier, or some undulations that weren't present and now are instead of what was once simply all flat or level. I have played with both Super High and Extremely High and both made a difference (though more so obviously with Extremely high) - would recommend users to use either of those two. Not sure why low and medium were included (lower than stock definition)?

A great addition, thank you sir.
smile

(oh, p.s. - absolute zero fps impact that I have noticed so far)

Last edited by Redwolf; 04/21/20 11:05 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4517529 - 04/22/20 12:31 AM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Probably best to point out to those that are not familiar with what scenery meshes are... they are the underlying data that provides the scenery textures the "model" to be mapped to. Kinda like paint on a plaster wall. If you bubble up the plaster, make hills, gouges for rivers... etc. Your wall will look really detailed regardless of the paint (texture) on it.

Thanks for doing this. I always kinda felt CFS3/WOFF had something missing in the shape/contures of the land meshes. Good to see someone stepped up and made it hi-def.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4517537 - 04/22/20 02:10 AM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
WallysWorld Offline
WallysWorld  Offline

Alberta, Canada
There is a mod that does the same sort of enhancement for Rise of Flight. Same as this one does for WOFF.

#4517547 - 04/22/20 04:22 AM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: WallysWorld]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by WallysWorld
There is a mod that does the same sort of enhancement for Rise of Flight. Same as this one does for WOFF.

Ankor's "TerrainBump" mod. - a must have for those flying that sim. Thank you Xjouve for bringing proper bump/terrain mapping to WOFF - have tried out the "super high" variant that is only about 50 MB larger in size than the default WOFF terrains and there is no negative impact on FPS. Also noticed more subtle/lower elevation rolling hills, etc. - excellent for low-flying immersion. Will try out the max-quality terrains soon too. (The level-3 "high quality" terrains are good too - tested those out as well - same quality as the WOFF ones but noticeably smaller in size.)

Von S

Last edited by VonS; 04/22/20 04:23 AM. Reason: Modified info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4517572 - 04/22/20 12:11 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Xav, I gave your Extremely High Def mod a try and it is outstanding. A lot more of the subtle, yet very noticeable, variations in elevation in the WOFF landscape. And no ill affects whatsoever on FPS, at least not on my rig.

Great stuff, many thanks. I look forward to your upcoming water and river mod.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4517610 - 04/22/20 04:49 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Xav, I gave your Extremely High Def mod a try and it is outstanding. A lot more of the subtle, yet very noticeable, variations in elevation in the WOFF landscape. And no ill affects whatsoever on FPS, at least not on my rig.

Great stuff, many thanks. I look forward to your upcoming water and river mod.

Lou

X 2. Excellent work!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4517645 - 04/22/20 07:30 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Many thanks guys for the kind works. smile

v2.0 is available. I will only work on this one now for future development.

It covers resolutions from ~32m to 37km to the ground. It is equivalent to mod 5 extremely high resolution.

Size is ~600Mo. The main difference with the previous version is that it comes from a 2x wider source file.

The result is beyond compare.

Link

Code

- Mod 5) Extremely High resolution [WOFF - XJ0 - Terrain (1 arc-sec exhi) 2.0---- by Xavier Jouve]: temporarily removed

Code
FYI, to create terrain files, Microsoft developers created two applications: 

- ers2tiff, to convert elevation data to tiff image(s)
- tiff2msh, to convert tiff image(s) to msh files for inclusion into CFS3

I've bypassed the limitation of Microsoft ers2tiff, which tops at about 10,000x10,000px as an outcome image.

This mod is made after a source file of about 25,000x25,000px, which is the approximate max Microsoft tiff2msh can handle to generate msh files.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/22/20 10:07 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4517655 - 04/22/20 08:17 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great stuff cheers Xav.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4517660 - 04/22/20 08:55 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Super, Xav., thx. Tested previous mod 5 and it is working flawelessly. Enjoyed detailed terrain mesh without any visible impact on fps thumbsup.
Looking forward to your next terrain magic wink .

#4517661 - 04/22/20 08:56 PM Re: New Terrain Mods [Re: xjouve]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
If you can tell me that Vimy Ridge will now actually be a ridge........
and the Douai plain spotted with crassiers

yeah

We will remember them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.