Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4515932 - 04/12/20 04:14 AM Kill claims aircraft type  
Tycoon Offline
Tycoon  Offline

I started a Career and realized pretty quickly it's hard to get claims verified. Anyways my question is if for example I claim a certain type of aircraft (say spad 7) and it turns out it was a different aircraft (spad 13) will that claim always be rejected? Is it better just to claim single seater type? thanks.

#4515955 - 04/12/20 11:11 AM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Tycoon
The more detail you can add, the more the chances of confirmation say the devs. It is frustrating some times. A typical report for me would be “Engaged 4 EA at 3000m just north of Cambrai. Short fight with one EA, red numeral 13 on top wing. After several burst he went into a spin and I observed it crash near a road 1 mile east of Cambrai.” If there are airfields, army bases or observation balloons nearby, mention them also. You still will not get 100% confirmed. Hope this helps.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4515982 - 04/12/20 01:41 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
A wrong picked AC can be confirmed as well but probably a bit lesser chance. It's no automatic rejection or something. You can always claim Alb DIII for instance, although technically an Alb DIII early or something. Afterall in real stuff like that happened too. Think of Lothar von Richthofens claim to have shot down Albert Ball in his Triplane.

#4515992 - 04/12/20 02:51 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Yes. And a lot of WW1 official victories are just listed as "two-seater," "EA," "scout," "D-type," etc. Very vague. So, it's right not to be an automatic rejection if the wrong AC make/model is picked. Plus, I defy anybody to tell the difference between, for instance, an Albatros D.V and and Albatros D.V (later) during a dogfight. Can't be done. Maybe it's me? I kinda know about Albs but I can't tell the difference visually when twirling around the sky.

#4515998 - 04/12/20 03:10 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I can’t tell the difference between all these Nieuports. All I know is if it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium and that is an N.16.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4516495 - 04/15/20 02:49 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Beanie Offline
Beanie  Offline

Canterbury, Kent
I can tell the difference between the Nieuport 17 and 23, but not Ni 23 and Ni24. When it comes to the Albatros I also have difficulty in identify between DV versions.

'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
#4516500 - 04/15/20 03:12 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

It's tough sometimes to know for sure which type it is you just shot down, and as noted here already such was the same for our RL counterparts. As to affect claiming the wrong plane type has on the odds of approval, I'm not so sure it has much affect at all. I had just mentioned a few minutes ago in the DID thread, over the years I have tried giving more info, less info, no info at all, with witnesses and without, and it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. The ratio always is about the same for me over the course of a pilot's career, a little better than half of all claims are approved.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4516519 - 04/15/20 03:52 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
There are two questions to ask yourself before submitting a claim:

1. Will you be writing up a story of the fight in pilot's log book to remember what happened or are you flying several missions in a row to get the most out of your time playing WOF?

2. Are you just a casual player that needs every victory confirmed or do you play for immersion and accept claim rejection as part of the experience?

I play both ways depending on my mood.

#4516530 - 04/15/20 04:48 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

It of course also depends on the difficulty level set in the WOFF menu for claims - I'm running mine at "medium" settings in the casual campaigns thread, and I've noticed that the most important thing is to put in the correct name for the witness, even if the witness is slightly further away and/or you are temporarily veering off from the prescribed flight path to search for action.

Also good is to get the general aircraft type correct, such as Aviatik, for example, but no need to worry about whether it was a B.I, B.II, etc. The most important thing to avoid is "no witnesses" - that usually means an automatic rejection. If I ever try to fly a "lone wolf" mission in the campaigns thread - I will temporarily set claims, for that mission, to easiest, and then revert back to medium, for other flights - otherwise I doubt that any possible claims would be accepted on a lone wolf flight unless there is another friendly flight in the vicinity (rare for 1915 in my case), and that I get the correct "witness" name written down via label identifications turned on (which I like to leave off, for immersion).

Von S smile

P.S. Good points Orbyx - I usually stick with medium settings therefore - gives a nice balance of short claims that have to be written up, but not too much info. needed that minimizes flight time in WOFF itself (I suppose a professional deformity that I've carried over from FE2 where claims always come automatically biggrin ). Needless to say, if you join the big boys in the DiD thread - then claims/transfer/promotion settings are run at max. realism.

Last edited by VonS; 04/15/20 05:05 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4516534 - 04/15/20 05:14 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
That no witness = automatic rejection is a red herring. I’ve had plenty of claims approved without witnesses. In fact one out of two. wink

#4516535 - 04/15/20 05:21 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Fullofit]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Fullofit
That no witness = automatic rejection is a red herring. I’ve had plenty of claims approved without witnesses. In fact one out of two. wink

Good news indeed Fullofit - I can then comfortably leave claim settings at medium even for lone wolf missions. Always something interesting to discover in WOFF.

Von S smile

P.S. A humorous aside - when I began browsing these forums yrs. ago I always thought that your name read as Fulloffit (short for full of fitness) - eventually I realized my mistake. Then again, when I first logged onto the internet in the mid-1990s, I thought that LOL was teenage jargon meaning lots of love, and LMAO was code being used by those in business or real-estate for "let's make another offer."
copter

Last edited by VonS; 04/15/20 05:22 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4516538 - 04/15/20 05:32 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I still don’t know why people get offended when I tell them FU - Follow Up. winkngrin

#4516543 - 04/15/20 05:50 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit, don't be surprised if others here FU on that.

#4516549 - 04/15/20 06:58 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Now I’m offended for some reason.

#4516566 - 04/15/20 08:02 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Fullofit]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by Fullofit

I won't file with no witnesses, but I do use ground witnesses: balloons, Army units, and airfield personnel. I also try to be as specific as possible with the location where the aircraft fell. Not all get confirmed, but I'd say 60% or more.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4516627 - 04/16/20 05:09 AM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: MFair]  
Tycoon Offline
Tycoon  Offline

Originally Posted by MFair
Tycoon
The more detail you can add, the more the chances of confirmation say the devs. It is frustrating some times. A typical report for me would be “Engaged 4 EA at 3000m just north of Cambrai. Short fight with one EA, red numeral 13 on top wing. After several burst he went into a spin and I observed it crash near a road 1 mile east of Cambrai.” If there are airfields, army bases or observation balloons nearby, mention them also. You still will not get 100% confirmed. Hope this helps.

Took this advice and it seems be helping getting more claims accepted, I didn't realize this level of detail was in kill claims, if the game is really taking all that detail into acount that is impressive. It's too bad the documentation is so poor, I wouldn't have known any of this even with the FAQ.

#4517399 - 04/21/20 02:21 AM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

I make a mental note of who's flying alongside me every mission as we take off, especially my wingman, and I name one of them as the witness in any subsequent claim, regardless of whether I know for sure they were around at the time. It seems to improve the odds, but that's a guess.

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4517404 - 04/21/20 04:16 AM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State

#4517614 - 04/22/20 05:09 PM Re: Kill claims aircraft type [Re: Tycoon]  
jakethescot1 Offline
jakethescot1  Offline

I have my claims set to normal. During a flight, and once we encounter enemy AC, I hit 'labels' to identify the AC, then turn it off. Since there really is no such thing as 'full' immersion, (we can't talk to other pilots in our flight) I use labels with the forethought of having landed back at our airfield and conferring with the other pilots as to the type of AC we encountered, which I'm sure they did.
Yes, I have claims rejected, and that's fine, because at times I forget, or don't know, what I shot down. For example, the label may show N10's and N11's. With the label off, I get behind one and get off a few shots, then behind another and get off another burst. Once back at the airfield and my claim has been filed, I'm not always sure which one went down. I take a guess and it gets rejected, no matter who I used as a witness.
Using your labels is not always a bad thing. Also, not always a good thing.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM