Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55
#4517186 - 04/19/20 12:38 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The good ship Mad Hops tied up at Jaques late last night, or I should say early this morning. What a trip!

The final leg of the outbound expedition was a good one, with a couple more ELWs and again a number of water worlds. Some stats from the trip so far

Distance Flown: 28,931 light years
Jumps: 469
Average jump distance: 61.6 light years
New Systems: 458
Scans: 3857

I have yet to turn in all the data, as I want to spread it around the Colonia region in order to raise rep with the various controlling factions, but EDSM said it was over 100 mil. I found a couple of systems whose value beat my former best which was around 8.5 mil. Now it's over 10 mil. This was a system with an ELW and a few terraformable water worlds. On the outbound leg I got first discovery on 5 earth-likes, 5 ammonia worlds and 37 water worlds and 700+ HMCs! Yesterday I found a water world moon which I thought was really cool. I expected to get some first discoveries on this trip, but those expectations were wildly surpassed with around 2,000 of them. Really happy with how it all went. Jaques is precisely 22,000.000 light years from Sol.

No mishaps, no damage, it all went smoothly. People complain about the small scoop on the DBX but I wonder if they are actually using one for exploration or just doing speed runs across the bubble. Yeah, it's slower than an AspX and a class 6 or pick your favorite explorer. For me though it's not even noticed, as I'm using the FSS while scooping and by the time I've scanned most systems the refueling has long been done. It's really not an issue and I don't even think it's all that slow. Building a cool-running DBX helps too, as I reckon I can tuck the ship in a little closer for any given heat figure. In all the ship performed flawlessly. I intended to make a landing or two along the way to scoop some raws, but with all the data on board i soldiered on, not wanting to press my luck.

As I made the final run in to Colonia, I could tell I'd be beating my Krait. It was inbound to Caravanserai, but I reached Jaques 6.5 hours before it was due, so I couldn't whistle it's last leg to Colonia before turning in for the night. I'll do that shortly. While I wait for it, I plan to have a look at the lay of the land, find the mat traders and begin raising rep around the region and beginning the process of unlocking the engineers.

This is my new record system (which could change shortly when I turn in the rest of the data)

An ELW and several terraformable water worlds, including a binary pair

Attached Files recordsystem.jpg

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4517188 - 04/19/20 12:59 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few images from the trip

One of the many Water Worlds found on this trip

[Linked Image]

A ringed ammonia world, one of just five I found

[Linked Image]

A beautiful gas giant

[Linked Image]

Attached Files waterworld.jpgringedammonia.jpgbeautifulGG.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/19/20 01:01 PM.

#4517226 - 04/19/20 06:27 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I flew around to a number of nearby stations to turn in the data while raising rep with a bunch of factions. In all, the data from the trip from Moxon's Mojo in Bolg to Jaques Station in Colonia netted 340 million.

So I have a new side-goal. If I can make just a little more than that around Colonia and on the trip back to the bubble I can hit 1 billion in career exploration data. So I'm going to aim for that. This sure pays a lot better than it used to.

#4517230 - 04/19/20 06:51 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Grats D! Almost got me thinking about a trip there...

Nah!

#4517238 - 04/19/20 07:25 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah man! Come on out. Seriously. Get these engineers unlocked, and make some cold cash while doing it. Just be sure you have all the invitation prerequisites before leaving the bubble, which I'm sure you do. Come join me we can do some bounty hunting in Colonia!

Everyone here should dust off their explorers and come to Colonia

Except JC, he's already outbound on a different vector smile

#4517242 - 04/19/20 08:53 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Curses....you are making me want to bring my Asp Exp out there even though I hardly have time for this game.

#4517246 - 04/19/20 10:32 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey Wolverine, how's things?

While I wait for the Krait (and you guys) I am having a look around the neighborhood. Might as well use the time productively. I hit a few planets in the rover to grab some raws.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files rover.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/19/20 10:32 PM.

#4517389 - 04/20/20 11:38 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Is anyone interested in heading to Colonia? I'm just about done with what I came for, but if anyone wanted to head out here I'd hang around for a while. If not then I'll head home. I suspect the answer is a firm no haha, but worth asking.

Twin Reverb searching for osmium near Jaques station in Colonia.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files kraitminer.jpg

#4517407 - 04/21/20 06:38 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

You will probably be bored stiff waiting for me to get out there.....gaming time is few and far between lately.

#4517413 - 04/21/20 09:53 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: WolverineFW]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I won’t be heading out as I’ve just re pledged to Aisling to get more Prismatics, so I’ll need to stick around here for a month.

#4517422 - 04/21/20 10:50 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: Bohemond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bohemond
I won’t be heading out as I’ve just re pledged to Aisling to get more Prismatics, so I’ll need to stick around here for a month.

Welcome to the team! I've been pledged to Aisling since pretty much the beginning of my ED journey. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4517423 - 04/21/20 10:56 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK thanks fellas for replying. I'll be heading home shortly then. I'm going to do a little fine tuning at the engineers then set sail back to the bubble. This has been quite the adventure and it's only halfway done.

#4517452 - 04/21/20 02:57 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Bohemond

Welcome to the team! I've been pledged to Aisling since pretty much the beginning of my ED journey. smile

I don’t stay pledged to a Power. Once I buy the modules I think I’ll need, I kick that power to the curb. Unfortunately, I’ve bought enuff new ships that I’m starting to deplete my stock of Prismatics. Plus, I’ve recently realized I’m gonna need some class 8’s also.

#4517464 - 04/21/20 03:34 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Except JC, he's already outbound on a different vector smile

Haven't had time or drive to jump back in the last week or so unfortunately! I'd like to get going again, but I've bitten off quite a task.
Oh well, no hurry I guess!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4517576 - 04/22/20 12:34 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good luck on your expedition JC. Yeah, no reason to rush, other than being CERTAIN you get the first discoveries and not some random chump smile

I spent most of yesterday in the pit of my DBX flying back to the bubble. I flew about 11,000 light years, so about half-way. That's about 40,000 light years in all so far. Virtually all of that in untagged systems. As long as you don't fly straight along the Colonia highway, it's all virgin out here. I'm closing in on 500 million in data at this stage. Of course I'll spend half of that to transfer the Krait back and forth. But money wasn't the goal, getting first discoveries and unlocking the Colonia engineers was, but I'll still be several hundred million in the black, pun intended.

Engineers are done. And I cannot say for sure, but I would estimate around 3,000 first discoveries to this point. Among these are 8 earth-likes, 6 ammonia worlds, 60 water worlds and over 1000 HMCs. I've found no white dwarfs, no neutrons, no wolfs, no black holes.

This has been a great experience, really glad I decided to do it. I've flown out 4x farther than my previous best. I've doubled my career exploration proceeds and more to come. I stopped off at Caravanserai once again on the way home and sold the data collected since Colonia. I've got another 40 mil on board now and still 11,000 light years to go. When I get back, I plan to visit a number of engineers to shuffle some pinned blueprints. I have some duplicates now. There are a couple more I have yet to unlock like Sedesi and the Sarge, so I plan to do that now as well. My remote engineering choices will be all set, with virtually every blueprint I use.

#4517801 - 04/23/20 06:29 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Nice! I just found a ringed ammonia world today, first discovery and mapping. So now I'm starting to find some pristine space to work in, I'll have a bunch of first discoveries as well.
If I have as productive of a trip as yours, then that 2nd Elite is in the bag.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4517807 - 04/23/20 07:23 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Congrats JC! Great find.

Yes, I will make a lot more in data on this trip than I had in three years of playing Elite previously. I've made enough already to go from noob to Elite.

I know the forum's dead at the moment. But I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

I made it another 5,000 light years toward the bubble yesterday. I should be home by tomorrow.

Yesterday, while I was jumping home, I made my 5,225th hyperspace jump since starting to play Elite. It is notable not because of the total, which is not all that many, but because it was the first time in those 5,225 jumps that I dropped in to a system by going through a star! I've read about this, but first time for me.

It literally frightened me when it happened. I was so close to the star after dropping that I was sure I was dead. I panicked and tried to bring up my heatsink which I kept looking for as a secondary trigger (it was primary) and I never actually fired one off before low-waking away. I took light damage to my modules, around 2 to 6% for most. Up until this point I've felt that by paying attention, by having routines and standard operating procedures, always doing things the same way, that I could avoid random damage. But sometimes it's not something under my control.

I am now a AFMU believer!

And surely the game cuts us a break. I mean I was inside the star and then right next to it taking heat damage. But in the end the damage was minor.

#4517866 - 04/24/20 12:53 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm not moving quickly, but I am moving. I'll post anything interesting I find. There's a couple of stations near Sag A* that I plan on hitting...and putting in an AFMU if I can.

-Robert Heinlein
#4517876 - 04/24/20 03:32 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You're going way past where I did. For me my trip is epic, but I know it's bush-league stuff really.

I'm now about 3,600 light years from the bubble. I found a cool system that had a ringed earth-like and a ringed water world. Those are uncommon to start with and to find both in the same system must be fairly rare. It had been tagged though. I got first map. I had flown several thousand light years in virgin space, find this really cool system tagged, and then fly a couple thousand more without another tagged system. It's like this dude just swooped though space to the best systems. Then always be batman right? Where'd this cat come from?!

I've seen some cool stuff in this expedition, and this might be my favorite planet. The rings are just so cool. Ammonia worlds are sometimes sort of ugly, but this one is not.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files rings1.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/24/20 03:07 PM.

#4517919 - 04/24/20 03:12 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Got the day off, and it's raining, giving me an excuse to not work in the yard. So I plan to finish my expedition today, just a few thousand light years left to go. The inbound run so far has netted 181 mil. I admit I am not being so meticulous on the run home, skipping the maps on THMCs for example. The valuable planets have been fewer, and my route is quite a bit shorter, so this leg will be short of my goal, reaching 1 billion in career exploration earnings. To this point I have made 521 million in data since leaving the bubble two weeks ago, with 107 million of that pending survival to docking. There is more to come, but it won't be long before it's all been tagged, so the money will drop sharply. That's OK, I'm ready to get back.

Bolg or bust!

Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.