Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 602 of 608 1 2 600 601 602 603 604 607 608
#4513059 - 03/27/20 04:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Talked with Roger yesterday and was asked to relay his thanks for the phone calls and good wishes.
Also received a picture of a young lady and a very nice guitar.
There seems to be musical talent in Roger's family as well as in Old Dux.

Keep meaning to look at maps of areas mentioned by McGonigle and Old Dux.
Yet I distract myself into other endeavors and spin my wheels.

Hopefully we are all beginning to see signs of Spring.
If you are limited to being home, they may be easy to miss. But if you had to go to the grocery store as I did yesterday, you might have noticed.

My second clue yesterday was the 84 F (28 C.) temperature, the first clue being the bright light in the sky.
There is a hint of new growth in the trees already. It does seem a bit early.
My hopes are that the Summer temperatures remain below a hundred F.
Fat chance.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that those hopes won't just be gusts of wind.
BTW, it was those wind gusts yesterday that managed to get my hair up in such a way that any child would have been scared.
After all, the barber shops have not made the essential services list.

No wonder that clerk looked at me so strangely.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4513297 - 03/29/20 10:44 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Having some unexpected spare time due to the lock down I've busied myself with some gardening activities that were supposed to be summer projects but in between the still cold days and a bit of snow this morning we have had some sunny days with temperatures around 10 C / 50 F. A far cry from the 84 F reported by you, Fittop, I've cut down some shrubbery and pressure cleaned a wooden fence in preparation for applying a fresh coat of paint.

I hope for some warmer weather so I can clean the car. Microfiber cloths have been purchased and YouTube videos studied in order to do it the proper way; wash down with water, applying a coat of foamy soap, letting it sit for 5 minutes the wash that down with water and then finally applying yet another layer of soap and working with two buckets of water. One with soap and one to rinse the cloth. After hosing the car clean a final drying of with the microfiber cloths. More microfiber cloths should be on the way but our Post office have managed to misplace yet another of my Amazon orders.

Otherwise I've pretty much exhausted the repository of interesting videos on YouTube and enjoy reading a lot of books. Currently I'm into accounts of inter-war motor racing in Europe, the Silver Arrows of the Nazis and the rest of Europe's motor racing greats trying to catch up to the ambitious and expensive operation run by the Germans.

I hope the lock down will soon be lifted but I do anxiously follow the status in the various regions of the world and fear for my friends around the world including of course the UK and the US. Hope everyone will be safe and normal business will soon be able to be resumed.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4513317 - 03/29/20 12:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Went flying yesterday. From the air everything looks so normal, but the impact affected us. We flew three planes; three pilots and no passengers. Normally we load a few to take along. The world is turned upside-down.

[Linked Image]

Fortunately flying is something I can do and still maintain isolation.

I too have been doing long delayed projects at the house. Gave the lanai a good pressure cleaning, gave the pool filter, pump, and valves a good cleaning and lube, painted the metal on the lanai furniture, cleaned the gutters, fixed a a gutter downspout, pressure washed the driveway, etc. All the things that were on my someday list.

Wishing you all well. Hoping we soon put this scourge behind us.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4514614 - 04/04/20 03:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

That is a beautiful panel on your machine, oldgrognard. The picture shot is great also.

Have been talking with Roger every couple of days. Though there was a bad day, he seems in good spirits.

The list of projects completed by you guys amaze me.
All I seem to have done is tackle the slow drains, with another needing attention.
I do blame the water quality here, as it seems to be a common problem in the area.
But it may be design and materials when this area was built?
Nevertheless, it could keep a handyman busy.

Lest you think winter is over, the temperature went into the thirties last nigh.
The previous week temperatures have been moderate, remaining in the sixties during the day with little sunshine; way too little for the cat that seems to miss sitting in the window sill.

Please be careful out there. Thankfully we all seem to have a flying hobby that doesn't seem to be using the internet bandwidth.
Around here, it seems to crawl at certain times of the day.

#4515648 - 04/10/20 02:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope everyone is hanging in there, at home or wherever but safe.
Need to call Roger soon. My phone service cut us off and it's been a couple of days.
It seems phone call volume has put some strain in the system.

He did seem OK the last time we talked.

EDIT:

Just hung up from talk with Roger:
He sends his greetings and says he misses the contact with everyone here.
He is doing well. Grin... As well as he can, he mentions. Still getting used to no salt, no sugar.
I would have a hard time too.

End of edit.

Thankfully, PD3 does not need internet bandwidth to work.

I have been taking advantage of the Orbx sales to upgrade the scenery.
The Microsoft 2020 may challenge my decision because it looks so promising, but I am waiting on the price.
Personally not a fan of subscription-needed to play.

I am hoping Orbx and other companies manage to hold their own.
It's nice to have a choice.

Stay well guys. Needing to resupply some basics, I used a mask for the first time.
Found that if you become pretty active while wearing a mask, exertion does seem to cause some resistance in breathing.

On slightly amusing news, re-learned that using rudder pedals for virtual flying does not work well with chair on rollers.
It makes for interesting landings in crosswinds. Go arounds are good options.

Last edited by Fittop; 04/13/20 02:21 PM. Reason: Talked with Roger.
#4517376 - 04/20/20 08:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I have been remiss in updating you guys.
I moved the SimHQ to the private side of Windows to get away from the commercials so I am not seeing it everyday.

It's not that I've lost my mind yet. But half of it must have wandered off and the other half went looking for it.

But I did manage to talk with Roger today and as usual he sends his regards and asked me to tell you guys he misses you and the site.
Apparently there is no way to get anything in, although they must get their supplies, but no one is allowed.
He may get a chance to come home and pick up a few things. He says he will get his computer so he can keep up with us all.
He does miss his SimHQ.

Roger managed to get back on his exercises today and was told he was doing well.

Stay healthy, guys. Probably our best weapon for staying on this side of the grass.

#4517463 - 04/21/20 03:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Thanks for that encouraging news Fittop. When you speak to Rog again please give him my best and ask him if he would repeat the email address he gave my when I spoke to him on the phone. (T). Also, inform him that 'K' is still stuck in LA!

Many people are becoming stir crazy over here with all this continuing lockdown jive. Straining at the bit to get some more gigs done but it looks like it's going to be quite a while yet. Found myself another Fender Jazz bass which I am giving the 'road-worn' look to. Got it just about right now.

Day after day it has been bright and sunny with a chilly east wind but giving it much warmer from tomorrow. I suppose that means rain...

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4518012 - 04/25/20 05:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Good evening, Y'all.

I am taking advantage of the time zone here to wish and pass on to you all a "
...Safe, healthy and Happy HWH Anniversary..."

Yes, I am passing that on from Roger tonight.
I have been away from my phone all day and did not get his message until late this evening.

Just wanted to put it on the record that it was today.

It worried me when after talking with him a few days ago, the text message from Roger started with:
"Wishing everyone a safe..." and ended with:
"I miss you all. ....Please pass this along to our members and friends."

The text logged at 8:26am, so it was sent at 9:26am US Eastern Daylight Time,
not the time one usually associates with good news unless the sender is a sweet thing and she's spent the night winging her way into your arms.

And if so, you are still in trouble for not being at the airport to pick her up,,,(quarantine aside.)

You might imagine as I first did: "bad news."

But no, I have now broken the code and decided it was just a celebration of at least some 1,203 pages of hard work, love and friendship by you guys.
There is talk of a musty basement where archives are kept and lost and good ghosts keep guard.

That is not even including the beginnings of the section of stories of "there I was"
nor the whole Community thread nor the efforts of present and past writers and jotters that make up this community of flyers, pilots or not, and drivers
from all over the world, whose eyes sometimes land on this thread.

I do salute you all. I've learned a lot hovering over these pages. Thank you.

And at 9:26 this morning there was a fella sending a note the best he could telling you he is OK and he misses you all.

His name is Roger, Jolly Roger Two.
He will be back.

#4518020 - 04/25/20 08:51 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Happy HWH Anniversary! Started as a flame free zone by SNAFU to talk about the good points of Rowan's release of Battle of Britain rather than the bugs and issues, the thread became a home for pilots and strategists, modders and eventually the BDG (Development Group). Quite deservedly BoB was given a new lease of life with the BoBII release. Throughout the many years stories and accounts have accumulated and Roger has diligently been acting as archivist and author of many of these, alluding to the musty dark cellar at the end of the many steps serving as the storage for the many tomes.

I'm still following the general news but not closely as that would certainly be potentially detrimental to my mental health.

I'm working on my books-to-read list and currently half-way through the third of Boris Chertok's "Of Rockets and Men". There are four volumes of this Soviet academician's memoirs, each volume weighs in at approximately a thousand pages and while a lot of it is naming colleagues and co-workers and accounting for the organisational bureaucracy I'm still fascinated by the insight into the trial and error approach of the scientists back then. No test benches or quality assurance on terra firma, oh no, just shoot the rocket into orbit and see what happens. This explains neatly the question I remember having at the time about all those enigmatic Kosmos satellites they sent into orbit (and some of them came down a bit unexpectedly): Many were simply failed missions to the Moon, Mars, and Venus, and botched launches in general.

We're having an elongated spring this year it seems. In recent years winter and cold was swept away by sudden summer but this year we've had an extended period of 10-19 C (50 - 66 F), mainly sunny and it seems that forecasts expect this situation to remain with us for some while yet.

Fittop; thank you for keeping in touch with Roger and for conveying that moving message from our pal. We all miss him too.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4518506 - 04/28/20 02:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Thank you for the beautiful synopsis, McGonigle.
Wish I had had the pleasure of meeting SNAFU, but I can peruse the early pages again and again to get the flavor.

Your message has been passed on, Dux, and I hope that today I can talk to Roger again.

A little under the weather here, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
There is a funeral I was going to attend today, but just in case I might be a carrier, I will pass on it.

Meanwhile, under the threat of tornadoes and heavy weather tonight the sunlight has broken through the haze and cloud layer to tease me into going outside and trimming the overgrown hedges.

I am not biting today. If I have to put up with not getting a haircut, the hedges can too.

In the mean time, stay safe.

#4518626 - 04/29/20 07:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

Thanks for the PM, Fittop. I will drop Roger a line shortly.

We have had the sunniest April for many years but have been strictly limited as to how much we could take advantage of it! Right now it is raining and there won't be any dancing around the Maypole this year.

The main thing I miss is practicing with the band. In the meantime we keep in touch and cover everything as best we can at home.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4519946 - 05/07/20 04:23 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Got a text from Roger today, but could not call back.
Apparently he was seen by a doctor and the A1C count is within limits, blood test is good and no changes are needed.
Will try to call tomorrow as today was a busy day.

But I am glad for the news and as the rest of us, I keep hoping for more good news.

Yes, grin, leaving the house once or twice a week is not enough.
But seeing folks not using common sense precautions ...almost makes you want to stay inside.

I'm hoping sunlight kills the bad stuff.

#4520757 - 05/13/20 04:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all.

Hope everyone is holding steady.
It is getting a bit old, but I would rather stay in place than catch misery.

I know that I am lucky right now and and can do that.
Also know a lot of folks need to be out to earn some income as the car and the mortgage and the kids stomach can't wait it all out.
But...Please be as careful as you can. I hope you stay lucky.

The news from Roger is good again.
Apparently it was a scary weekend when the blood sugar went out of kilter and he spent more time than he wanted with the porcelain goddess and the local paper. But he is OK for now.

He does send his Hellos to all and want you to know he misses being here.

Meanwhile, wrapped up in my own tangles, I missed the version five update of Prepar3D. Oh well.

#4520779 - 05/13/20 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I haven't been posting for a while which has only been a sign of being busy. Three bicycles have been or are in the process of being fitted with new tubes and tires. Last week temperatures were finally beginning to reach 20 C / 68 F but they are now down again to cold and measly 13 C / 55 F or lower. Furthermore it is again becoming quite windy. But that is almost the norm here. Shakespeare should have written; "There's always a cold wind blowing in Denmark".

Finally I've managed to watch the Godfather Trilogy. It's on Amazon and this is actually the first time I've seen the movies. I never felt until now that I had the time and patience to spend that many hours in front of the television.

Of course I had to crack a tooth and have it pulled out during this current situation with lock-down and virus. The dentist who pulled the tooth was dressed liken an alien in visor, apron surgical hat, mask and gloves. He had a conversation with himself about the plumbing in his apartment.

Other things braking, possibly due to more extensive use while I'm at home was the tap in the bathroom sink. New one installed and mighty fine it is.

I'm seeing some indications from sources that I trust, that having Vitamin D insufficiency might increase the risk of catching this virus and could complicate and prolong the course of the decease if you get it. With my bicycling and general outdoors activities I should be very well stocked up on my Vitamin D.

Things are starting to look a bit more encouraging here as we are gradually coming out of lock-down and the number of cases of new patients so far has not risen. On the contrary it looks as if the virus may have run it's course, fingers and toes crossed.

Good to hear news from Roger and I certainly send my thoughts and regards.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4522525 - 05/27/20 02:22 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Good evening. I have been remiss in posting here.
The Memorial Day celebrated this past weekend in the US helped; although I have yet to visit the National Cemetery near here, one of many.
It may or may not compare to the picture I might posted here or elsewhere of the one near Normandy,or the Wall or the Arlington Cemetery in DC or other ones I have visited. My thanks to all of the fallen.

The folks I knew that have fallen were certainly remembered as well.
A virtual toast was drunk by a classmate and myself in their honor.

Here, it was a cool and rainy weekend. No biking here, nor did I get to look at the pretty guitars Dux talks about.
I might have once held a high quality Gibson, but only in admiration.
My weakness is listening to Spanish guitars, and have driven to many a concert at local concert halls and colleges for a chance to hear the masters live.

If you are through with your plumbing problems, Mac, I might need some help with the kitchen sink.
Have learned to start that work on a weekday and when the hardware stores are open.

The local states seem to have opened and seem to be treating the pandemic with a bit less wariness than I feel.

I'll confess to have gotten a haircut and don't miss the developing curls over my neck.
I'll also confess the lady of the house appeared a bit mad at me on my return.

Speaking about open places, there is no such luck yet at the facility where Roger is spending time.
You will be happy to know he is watching his diet, and he does send his greetings.
No mention of his opinion of sugar and salt-free diets.
He just wishes to be able to get back on this board and say "Hi" to all. That is dated today.

Unfortunately, I had to get off the phone and collect some medicine for here, but we did get a chance to exchange some gossip.

#4523594 - 06/03/20 07:22 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Gents,

Pleased to report that we finally got a band practice together after what seems ages...about 3 months actually.

We arranged a small amount of gear on the lawn of the lead guitarist and spent a pleasant 4 hours catching up on the programme.
Sorry....make that program. wink

We had to cancel a couple of gigs but are hoping that things should be clear by September.

Break in the weather today after a glorious month of sun. Apparently the driest, sunniest month since 1896!

Fittop...sorry, just saw your last PM.

Last edited by Old Dux; 06/03/20 07:25 AM.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4525378 - 06/13/20 09:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hope everyone is fine.
Just a short note.
Roger is hanging on, no changes. Had not been able to talk with him for a while, but he is OK.
He sends his greetings and mentions he misses his computer and his enjoyment of being here.

Of course, we do miss him also. He did ask about your doings, but having been shy in posting myself I did not have much news for him.

It did force me to open the thread while I was talking to him and read a couple of sentences of your writings to him.

(I was trying an old wireless headset I mentioned here before and it worked just fine. It also allowed me to use both hands on the computer.)

I can list the name again if anyone is interested and hope it's OK. I have no financial interest in the company.
But I have had it a couple of years and I finally remembered I can talk through it for a phone call.
Now reading the box, it's even water resistant.

I do use it to let my tablet read and sing to me.
Too lazy to add songs to my phone.
But this thing works just fine with the old IPods letting me use them wireless, thereby bringing them up to date.

#4526643 - 06/21/20 06:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I've been absent far too long. I blame the state of the world but that is for another forum. I imagine pilots like Oldgrognard will enjoy being able to leave the ground once in a while and feel perhaps a bit above the daily grind.

I hope that you are soon able to get more demand for gigs for your band Dux as countries are slowly reopening it seems that the live music is near-to last in line and the UK is probably not that different from here in that respect.

I've been asked to come into the office twice a week as opposed to the normal four times a week. I'll only be able to manage half as much, or less, with such long breaks between office days.

It sounds like a clever bit of kit you got there Fittop, with wireless headphones also including a microphone. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about it. Back in the days when I gamed and chatted on the PC I constantly got the chord entangled and I suspect finally cut through going over it with the wheels on my chair. For music I must admit I prefer listening through my loudspeakers as I get an itch in my ears when using in ear monitors and the full headset also gives me trouble if wearing it too long.

If you get in touch with Roger please let him know I think of him and convey my best regards.

Anyway, summer is upon us and here we're having sunny days and rainy days, just a typical Danish summer. The shrubbery is starting to need a bit of work and several places the weeds also calls for attention. I can report however having now had the opportunity to bicycle to the beach twice and taking a quick dip in the sea on both occasions. The first outing was very cold I thought so it was very very brief. The latest one just this past Tuesday was far more enjoyable. After a weekend with rain and cloudy weather the beach should be a potential destination later this coming week.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4527084 - 06/24/20 03:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

Good evening to all.
We might be done with the rain for a few days before and beginning the fry spell that comes with Summer here.
The three to five am thunderclaps that have been cutting short our sleep will not be missed; though the five or so added inches of rain have topped off the reservoirs.

Did manage to talk with Roger today and apparently got a nice care package from his family, so they are letting a few things in for the clients.
He is in good spirits and appears to have a doctor's appointment next Monday.
Hopefully he will be able to get a ride this time for the progress report.

The wireless headphone I mentioned may not be what you are looking for since in this case I am talking about one that does insert in your ear.
Think it's called an over the ear model.
I haven't had a problem with it, but you are right, after an hour or more in use, one seems to want to scratch an itch.

But it sounds fine unless you are a purist. I do prefer to listen to classical music or even classics on speakers.
But you can't beat it for being outside and it is advertised to be sweat and waterproof.

It is a BackBit Fit by Plantronics and it may have been updated and replaced with a better one. (Costco and Amazon)
It does come with a phone armband in which you can put your phone and I add my iPod to it. (Keep very little or no music on my phone.)

I do modify the IPod. by adding an "esinkin" R/T that measures less than 2" square and <1/4" thick.
That brings it up to date and usable. No complaints at all. You might even rescue a Walkman from the closet shelf.

I have used the contraption to listen to a tablet or even the LR tv within bluetooth range when cooking in the kitchen so I don't disturb anyone else.
Have used it when doing virtual flying along with the TrackIR when having to step away from the PC when I don't want to be deskbound by the proClip..

One feature I do like about the wireless set up is that when walking or riding a bike on the local trails it does let you be aware of overtaking bikes cars or outside noise for your own safety.
Your preference may vary, but I am weary of being taken by surprise .

Think it is almost time to take advantage of the hot tub before the mosquitoes get here. biggrin

#4528826 - 07/05/20 09:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Didn't get to say Hello to Roger this week due to appointments, but will try tomorrow or Tuesday.
I am hoping his appointment with the doctor went fine.

Jens, reading the comments on the latest wireless headphones, it looks like I bought the right one.
But you might take that with a grain of salt since reading about comments on folks buying phones makes me wonder about folks:

ex.: " Bought this phone and could not get it to work with my provider."..." I didn't know it was a locked phone."
Ahem, there is a big note on the page stating: "This phone is locked to So-and-So provider."

On other news, Summer has arrived, as well as the Saharan dust; as advertised.
Even after the windy days we have had the haze remains.
This seems to be as bad as I have seen.
It makes me think about replacing the air filter on the cars and perhaps moving the change date on the house air conditioner filter.

Really need to get out more.

Page 602 of 608 1 2 600 601 602 603 604 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.