Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55
#4516725 - 04/16/20 05:05 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Where are you? Are you heading for Colonia? Want to meet up in a few days?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4516736 - 04/16/20 06:05 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'm heading out of the Eta Carina nebula on my way to Sag A. Specifically, I'm in Gria Eork GD-O b12-0.

I'd be up to meet up, pick a system and I'll see what I can do!

Oh - I just did a little playing around with the FSS - if you aren't lined up on the crosshair, you get the adaptive failure. Not having it tuned properly gives you an energy tuning failure.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4516737 - 04/16/20 06:08 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
How about Colonia? biggrin

I should be there in a few days. I'm kicking around unlocking the engineers there, but not sure I will.

Thanks for the test of the FSS thumbsup

#4516751 - 04/16/20 07:38 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeesh. I'm about 25kly away from Colonia. I think I'll just keep on towards Sag A*. If your still tooling around Colonia on my return trip, I was thinking about stopping there and unlocking some engineers as well.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4516754 - 04/16/20 07:52 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha OK. I have to have a look at the map, because I can't wrap my head around how you are 9,000 light years from Sol, on the way to Sag A, and yet 25,000 from Colonia. It's a big space I guess smile

I doubt I'll be there on your swing back, but ya never know. Anyone else out in the black near Colonia?

Edit: Mapped it out and we are 15,454.16 light years apart.

I am in Crookaae UM-W d1-3721

Last edited by DBond; 04/16/20 08:41 PM.

#4516814 - 04/17/20 07:12 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
I checked that thread, and that's very impressive. Is it saying you flew 180,000 light years on that single trip? Maybe I should get EDD. I didn't see where EDD was showing your first discoveries. Nicely done WC, and I appreciate your help, and everyone who has chimed in here.

Nah, I "just" flew about 115kly on that trip, in total I flew about 190kly wink
EDD does not show first discoveries. It gets its data from EDSM and your flight logs, but that does not provide reliable "first" infos, as EDSM solely relies on the players that sync their CMDRs with them, which is about a third, I think?! (all my info from last year, as I haven't played since...) So EDSM has on one side not the information of all players, but it also has info from players that have not yet sold their data, be it because they stopped playing, or have not yet docked, or died before being able to sell the data...

My CMDR happens to be still be in Colonia as I went there to unlock the Engineers, but as I haven't played for a year... If you go there to unlock the engineers, I hope you brought some mining equipment - I remember that not all needed for efficient core mining was available there last year cuss
Hey, maybe there is a business case for a Fleet carrier to sell mining equipment in Colonia!

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/17/20 10:20 AM.
#4516845 - 04/17/20 11:30 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
You guys are making me want to go exploring again....ALMOST... smile

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4516847 - 04/17/20 11:41 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: Recluse]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Recluse
You guys are making me want to go exploring again....ALMOST... smile

I'll be heading out to "The Void" after I do a few more pirate assassination missions in my Fed Corvette.

My wife actually asked me yesterday if Elite Dangerous modeled the entire universe or if it was "just" the Milky Way. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4516865 - 04/17/20 12:37 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, come on out. The fishing's really good smile

I finally put in to port yesterday, a station called Caravanserai on the Colonia highway, about 15k from Sol. I started turning in my data, but it was taking so long that I went to bed. I could just sell the page, but I want to do them individually to see the first discoveries. I have EDD, EDSM, EDMC and Elite itself running and none of that tells me directly how many first discoveries I've gotten. By my estimate its more than 1300. I had more than 400 HMCs alone. I started selling the least valuable ones first and hit the sack after 22 million. There's still a lot to go and I'll get that done when I log in shortly.

WC, yeah I talked about unlocking the Colonia engineers, and I still might do. Of course I didn't bring mining equipment in my DBX, lol, but I can always just whistle for a couple ships to do the unlocks if I choose to. It seems a good idea to get additional pinned blueprints, but I'm not sure I want to go through the process for all of them. I'll decide once I reach Colonia.

Again I don't have detailed stats, or maybe I do and I just don't know how to see or display this, but that haul of first discoveries included over 20 water worlds, maybe 40% of which were terraformable. I found a couple systems with more than one and a couple of binary water worlds as well. Just one ELW which was a big disappointment. I found more than 100 undiscovered systems but just a single ELW. The route I took was so virgin that I plan to backtrack on the way home. I reckon I should just about match this haul on the way back.

This is one of the virgin systems found in the second half of the run to Carvanserai. It has a terraformable water world in cahoots with two THMCs. Haha, I don't know the terminology for when three planets have this relationship.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files cahoots.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/17/20 01:02 PM.

#4516871 - 04/17/20 01:13 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
Iif you aren't lined up on the crosshair, you get the adaptive failure.

This is exactly what it was, and I feel a bit stoopid. I use a X Box controller for the FSS. When I'm scanning the system to locate the bodies I use the left stick to move the camera around and essentially pull right trigger when over a return, but still moving. Inevitably this leads to lots of near misses with an almost instantaneous repeat pull of the trigger. Just slapping it ya know? So immediately after the miss the accurate zoom occurs, while a big honking message pops in the upper right that says :ADPATIVE ZOOM FAILURE" It could just as well say you missed dumbass, for all I notice it. I'm concentrating on the target and Track IR's zoomed me in a little and I don't really see the top of the HUD. After actually zooming in and scanning the planet I finally look up to the right to see what it says and there is 'adaptive zoom failure' since it retains the last message displayed. The one I always miss.

#4516894 - 04/17/20 02:33 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Yeah, come on out. The fishing's really good smile
WC, yeah I talked about unlocking the Colonia engineers, and I still might do. Of course I didn't bring mining equipment in my DBX, lol, but I can always just whistle for a couple ships to do the unlocks if I choose to. It seems a good idea to get additional pinned blueprints, but I'm not sure I want to go through the process for all of them. I'll decide once I reach Colonia....

Good luck with wistling ships from the bubble to Colonia - that costs like maaaany millions (if not 100 millions, can't remember right now), and it would take several days for them to arrive. Equipment might be cheaper, but takes just s long... pilot
But as I said, that's just for most efficient core mining. There is some probe or sensor missing to find the best rocks. But you can still surface laser or blow up the rocks and take what you get. Takes just a little longer to get the required matierial. And as said, things might have changed over the last year, and everything is available now...

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/17/20 02:55 PM.
#4516909 - 04/17/20 03:27 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Exactly, and that's part of why I'm on the fence. About 60 hours to transfer to Colonia I think. It's 43 to the station I'm in now. Money's not really an issue. Just haven't decided if I want to spend the time and effort. Having an additional three or four pinned blueprints back in the bubble would be fantastic though and there's every chance this will be the only time I go to Colonia. I have no problem trading money in transfer fees for engineering gains. Before this trip I was a suburban bubble explorer, reaching Elite there and in the outskirts, with sightseeing missions and the Palin trip. That trip was 5,077 light years from start two years ago and until a couple days ago it was the farthest out I've gone. Now I've beaten that by triple. I'm enjoying it, but I wonder how likely I am to return. So this might be my only shot at these engineers. If I'm honest I'm leaning toward not doing it.

I logged back in to Elite, starting EDD and EDMC so that I guess I'm recording this somewhere smile

In all the data on this trip so far netted 212 million, which is oodles more than I expected really. I found no grail system though and the highest value so far is 7.9m, less than my previous best. I need to start finding more ELWs frankly, where they share the system with a few other valuable planets. I've flown 21,000 light years so far and am 15,500 from Sol. Visited 338 systems so far.

Sanctuary after about 17,000 light years of untouched space. Nice to see civilization. Ship integrity was at 78%. AFMU was at 98% and used once to spruce up the shields.

[Linked Image]

The only ELW I found, other than the system Carvanserai is in, but that's been discovered already of course.

[Linked Image]

Here's the system. Come out and have a look sometime smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files lysoorbELW.jpglysoorbelwsys.jpgsanctuary.jpg

#4516930 - 04/17/20 04:35 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So I was sitting there thinking about this and I think I should decide now if I want to do the engineers. If I do then I should whistle for my Krait now to this station. Fee is 98 million, 43 hours. By the time I reach Colonia it will have already made it most of the way if not arrived. Once there, call for the much shorter transfer. That makes sense and will save a couple days of waiting. In all, the cost of transferring the Krait both ways will be about exactly what I've turned in for data, so I'd at least be breaking even already smile

#4516933 - 04/17/20 04:45 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
At least it's figured out now. In VR the FSS is HUGE, and the error message is ..er.. HUGER and hard to miss. I think of it as being kinda picky, because to my eye I'm usually pretty well lined up.

-Robert Heinlein
#4516941 - 04/17/20 05:03 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You're always in VR? I bet Elite is awesome that way.

I decided to go ahead and unlock the engineers at Colonia. I may as well make the most of this visit, and maybe stay around for a while. I whistled for my mining Krait to Caravanserai and she's on the way. I'll depart soon to Colonia, but with another big swing out to starboard to start finding some ELWs I hope, before turning back in on the approach to Colonia.

I believe most every ship and module is available there, and there is a full economy with stations for trade and missions. All mat traders too. Maybe I'll buy some new ship and build access rep with engineers by engineering it. What an adventure this is turning in to.

#4516950 - 04/17/20 05:17 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

I believe most every ship and module is available there, and there is a full economy with stations for trade and missions. All mat traders too. Maybe I'll buy some new ship and build access rep with engineers by engineering it. What an adventure this is turning in to.

Yup, Colonia doesn't have as many stations and inhabited systems as the bubble but all of the amenities and services are there. smile

I forgot his name but there's one engineer in the Colonia region that you have to unlock by giving him 25 occupied life pods. I don't know if I could do that....

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/17/20 05:18 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4516987 - 04/17/20 10:55 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
You're always in VR? I bet Elite is awesome that way.

Always. I highly recommend it!

-Robert Heinlein
#4517013 - 04/18/20 03:02 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
After turning in the data from the second leg of this expedition, I set sail back out to starboard a bit, and up a little. The second system hit after leaving Caravanserai was undiscovered and all since have been too. Now about 3,600 light years from Jaques. Much better ELW hunting and I've found three more. Stars were F, K and G. I've been filtering out L, T, Y and M for the last 20,000 light years. I'll keep going toward the core for a few hundred more light years, then heel to port and line up on Colonia for the inbound approach.

Of the things I've found the two most rare have been one O class star and one helium gas giant. according to EDSM. Of course that does not count everything I have not found. The O class star had a B class star next to it, and those were the only two bodies in system (I have found a LOT of star-only systems). That was just the second B star I've seen on this trip.

#4517030 - 04/18/20 08:40 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

I guess by "finding" you mean the route plotter picked one of these as a waypoint?
Because otherwise it's not difficult to find them - most obvious way by filtering for them in the galaxy map. I sometimes took me the time to untick the usual stuff to check whether some kind of unusual star type is in my vincinity.
An alternative way is to search for the heaviest systems in the sector by using the search function and search for "<sector name> AA-A H[n]" - like for the screenshot you posted above, it would search for "Lysoorb AA-A H0". Often those systems are Os, or black holes - just don't expect them to be not yet discovered, because many people know about this particular sector coding, esp. AA-A H0 wink Oh, and there might also be H1, H2, ... more such heavy systems in the same sector. If you enter just <sector> AA-A H and hit search again and again, it will cycle through all those systems in the sector.
Except that this particular sector was a bad example, as accoring to EDSM Lysoorb AA-A H0 is just a small T Tauri star frown But in many sectors this method yields something big.

#4517052 - 04/18/20 12:12 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: WhoCares]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WhoCares
I guess by "finding" you mean the route plotter picked one of these as a waypoint?
Because otherwise it's not difficult to find them

No, not exactly. Many are picked out by the route planner, but most stars found are not the ones I jumped to, and I am not specifically looking for them. A system can have say four or five stars, but only one of those was the one the planner picked out. I wasn't suggesting these are rare in the absolute sense. But when you've scanned thousands of celestial bodies and have found just a single example of something, it becomes rare in the relative sense doesn't it, which is why I prefaced it with 'of the things I've found'. Anyway, it was just an interesting factoid about my specific expedition.

Page 11 of 55 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.