Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4516655 - 04/16/20 11:34 AM Ambience... someone call me an ambience!  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
I know one of the main selling points of WOFF is the immersion factor but I have to say that as much as it's the flying and fighting which helps this, the noise ambience, particularly when you're at your airfield is wonderful!

I've seen threads about this and perhaps hearing Church bells when sat in an unmuffled DH2 with a Gnome monosoupape screaming in your ears is a bit far fetched, but the general noises you can hear particularly on the ground are superb. From birds, cows, someone tapping away with a hammer, I could even hear a gramophone tune warbling away in the background.

This, as much as any other reason, is why this sim tops them all. I could sit there parked up and listen for hours (although I'm not sure my CO would approve).

Thanks

Albie

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4516659 - 04/16/20 11:52 AM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: Albert Tross]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

You've discovered yet another one of the many little joys of this outstanding sim. You're not alone when it comes to just sitting on the field after an outing, engine off, soaking it all in. Superb stuff.

Oh, and as per your request, you're an ambience.

Lou

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4516706 - 04/16/20 03:44 PM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
It is certainly the most in-depth sound I've heard in a flight sim.....or any combat sim for that matter.

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Oh, and as per your request, you're an ambience.

Lou

Why thank you......nee nah nee nah and all that.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4516719 - 04/16/20 04:46 PM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: Albert Tross]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Also a not so nice sound...the groan of the pilot when he is hit!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4516758 - 04/16/20 08:05 PM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: Albert Tross]  
gaw1 Offline
gaw1  Offline

And if you're able to without withering comment from "the war department"....try a kick-ass set of headphones and crank the sound....awesome

#4516761 - 04/16/20 08:25 PM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: Albert Tross]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Yes indeed, ambient sounds are wonderful in WOFF...also the sounds of ground scraping/wobbling while aircraft are taxiing or accelerating to take off - very good for immersion and sorely missing from FE2. The only other thing we need (eventually) is visible wing warping on the Eindeckers, perhaps also to have a Be.2b thrown in, with wing warping too.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 04/16/20 08:28 PM. Reason: Modified info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4516824 - 04/17/20 09:37 AM Re: Ambience... someone call me an ambience! [Re: Albert Tross]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
You're right there Robert, bettered only by the sound of a plane disintegrating into flames and, unless it's one you've shot down in front of you, you're left wondering was it one of the enemy aircraft or one of our own.

Gaw, I have a lovely set of Sennheiser headphones which are already very much 'de rigueur' here and yes I get even more engrossed than I am anyway.

Von S yes showing the Eindecker warping it's wings would be a lovely addition as I think would seeing the observer in the balloon you're attacking parachute out.

Cheers

Albie

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans