#4516393 - 04/14/20 07:48 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Recluse

EDSM keeps track!! Might also be CODEX entries. After all when you go to SELL The Cartographics department KNOWS what was first discovered/mapped

Sort of, and that's part of why I don't rely on it. I've had an account there since the early days. But it only tracks first discoveries that have been turned in to EDSM right? Which is not the same thing, necessarily. Or has that changed? Is it tied to the API and draws data right from the game?

Why first discoveries isn't viewable in the exploration stats in the codex is hard to fathom. I've never seen a reason why F Dev never made a real exploration log type thing.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4516398 - 04/14/20 08:08 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I checked and I found EDMC was not linked to EDSM with the API key. I had it set for output,so I could click the system name for info in the EDMC overlay, but never set it up to send the data. So my EDSM stats are from like two years ago. I think I'll need to dock for it to update now, and that might be a while. I guess I can always import the journal. I have to dock to sell it anyway.

#4516421 - 04/14/20 10:58 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
[u][/u]I have mine set up, I got a notice of achieving one of their badges shortly after meeting the criteria (finding an Ammonia World). I have arrived at my first waypoint in the Eta Carina nebula, which puts me a shade over 9,000 ly from Sol but still abut 24,000ly from my destination of Sag A*. So I guess I'll be in the black for a bit more. I turned off the star filter for the trip, but most of the stars I've hit have been scoopable. I haven't even had two non-fuel stars in a row yet.

Approaching the nebula was cool, for the last dozen or so jumps I could see it in the distance, each jump making it just that much bigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking toward the galactic core was a nice view too.

[Linked Image]

Did a little system hopping and found a ringed ice world to land on and drive around on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sadly, not much of note on this planet. However it has moon and I'm thinking it might have a nice view....

Attached Files Screenshot_0002.jpgScreenshot_0005.jpgScreenshot_0004.jpgScreenshot_0018.jpgScreenshot_0017.jpg

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4516452 - 04/15/20 11:13 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good stuff JC, Rat Bast-ard is doing fine work smile

I'm now over 10,000 light years out. Still just one ELW, but I've seen some cool stuff. I found a ringed star, which may be my first. Don't remember seeing that before. Largest planet so far was a gas giant, 670 earth masses. The views too are changing. Things look a little different out here don't they?

Here's a dense field of stars, but I'm sure the other intrepid explorers here have seen the same thing.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files starfield.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/15/20 11:14 AM.

#4516485 - 04/15/20 02:25 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
About EDSM.... so I re-linked it as mentioned. Now EDSM shows my correct bank balance and distance flown, though it says I have about 150 total jumps, or 1000 light years per jump (engineering!!). Other stuff is off as well. So maybe I'll need to dock. It shows I have 41 discovered systems, but I'm guessing this was from two years ago. No idea really.

But the weird thing is this.... after logging in to EDSM and re-linking with the API key, I began getting Codex updates in-game for every thing I found, even if I've found it hundreds of time before, like a K star or an ice world. What the heck is that about?

#4516487 - 04/15/20 02:35 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Hmmm not sure about that. I think I linked to them JUST BEFORE setting out, so there wasn't a lot of retrospective data. Not sure what to say about the CODEX... Maybe post something on their forums (if they have them) or in the Frontier forums?

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4516536 - 04/15/20 05:23 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
About EDSM.... so I re-linked it as mentioned. Now EDSM shows my correct bank balance and distance flown, though it says I have about 150 total jumps, or 1000 light years per jump (engineering!!). Other stuff is off as well. So maybe I'll need to dock. It shows I have 41 discovered systems, but I'm guessing this was from two years ago. No idea really.

But the weird thing is this.... after logging in to EDSM and re-linking with the API key, I began getting Codex updates in-game for every thing I found, even if I've found it hundreds of time before, like a K star or an ice world. What the heck is that about?

I keep getting notifications of Codex updates too. When I go to check them, I don't see what it references. Wierd.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4516599 - 04/15/20 11:25 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, it is. I had also opened the codex for the first time in forever. I look at the commander stats and the engineer section all the time. But the discoveries codex rarely gets cracked. I wonder if somehow opening that, after many changes to Elite, got it kick started in some way? No worries, as all of these messages makes it feel like whatever I just found is more valuable or important haha.

A couple jumps later and I found a really nice system. Many huge gas giants, the biggest at 1,200 earth masses, but a bunch more a little smaller. And the last planet out was a ringed ammonia world. Which gas giants are valuable these days? It used to be they all paid like sh!t, but I think class II now are paying well? Gotta look this up. I might be passing up some good maps. I feel bad skipping so many, I feel like I should be doing more planet mapping, but it just takes so long. Ah well, it leaves something for those who find it after me to get their tags on. One system early on in this trip had a lot of HMCs with a single rice world out on the very end, like 40,000 light seconds. I mapped every one except that rice world, so a commander will come along later, find everything tagged by me except that one worthless planet way out there and have to decide if he wants to fly out there smile

Mad Hops and the ringed ammonia world

[Linked Image]

Attached Files ammoniaworld.jpg

#4516640 - 04/16/20 09:22 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

When I went on my scenic trip to Colonia about a year ago, I only mapped truly valuable bodies, terraformables, ELWs, AW, WW, and their moons or binary partners. And not for all of those would I make a >200kls trip to a body orbiting a secondary star. Very rarely did I map gas giants, normal HMC or ice worlds. Basically only when I was after certain elements for synthesis, or geo or bio signals etc worth landing. But yes, class 2 GGs should be worth a little more than the others.

About the boxy star clusters, that's an artefact of the galaxy generation, you will come across more of those cube sectors.

About the Codex, you know, after a few weeks just hopping and scanning, things may get rather dull. So I decided to try to fill my codex for the respective regions I am passing as far as possible without visiting the same system as the CMDR first reporting it. And even though I restarted Elite for that trip about half a year after the Codex was launched, I still managed to get my (first) "Reported by" entry for a stellar body - seem to remember it was a fairly rare G Supergiant. so now everybody can see that my CMDR was first to find that kind of star in that region whoohoo
I guess now a year later that might be even harder to achieve wink

#4516652 - 04/16/20 11:23 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I've heard from some friends that there are some rare systems out there which have TWO neutron stars in them. Has anyone here encountered that?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4516653 - 04/16/20 11:30 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: WhoCares]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WhoCares

About the boxy star clusters, that's an artefact of the galaxy generation, you will come across more of those cube sectors.

Is this just normal star density? When I was but a humble bubble-dweller I would look at the galaxy map and see how dense it was approaching the core. Now that I'm getting out there it's really quite something. I'm about 12,500 ly from Sol.

[Linked Image]

That's on my way to map a virgin water world. Really glad I did this, the views are so much different than what you see around the bubble. Quite stunning.

Yeah, WC, class II are paying more. Looking through my finds on EDSM the class II GGs are clearly the most valuable. I've been taking the time to map all ELW, WW, AW and anything terraformable. I've skipped some THMCs, but I go and map most of them. Other stuff just gets mapped if it's really close to something else I am mapping, and doesn't require much time to fly to.

No Panzer have not seen this. I have yet to encounter any neutron stars on this trip so far, which is a bit odd really.

Attached Files fieldofstars.jpg

#4516672 - 04/16/20 12:53 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Two questions...

How important is it to let the 'refining scan' finish when scanning a planet? This is the thing that resolves the surface points of interest. Is that of any value when turning in data, or is it just info for me to use if I'm looking for something specific? If I'm not planning a landing is there any real reason to resolve these?

When I FSS a body I always get a message that adaptive zoom has failed. What does this mean?

#4516675 - 04/16/20 01:00 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

With respect to the neutron stars, nope, I can't remember having seen a binary of those. About where to find NS (and white dwarfs) in general, you have to go up or down beyond the middle plane of the galaxy - in the outer arms it might be enough to get > +/-500ly above/below, further toward the core that will be more toward +/-1000ly and beyond. Also S-stars and some other raritys. Alteratively, maybe you have excluded them from the route finder wink

About the clusters, I don't know the details but it's neither common nor super-rare. As they sliced up the galaxy in cubes and automatically populated them depending on some kind of density function reflecting the arms and such, sometimes the algorithms had a hick-up that resulted in those boxes with such sharp transitions from low to high population. But it's not like you see this every time you cross from one arm to the other or some such, it's still kinda special occasions.

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/16/20 01:00 PM.
#4516680 - 04/16/20 01:23 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I flew up about 1,200 lightyears outbound. No neutrons or white dwarfs so far. At first I was not filtering any stars from route. Once I hit the huge fields of undiscovered systems I filtered out L, T and Y. I still find these stars, but not as main sequence. According to EDSM the most common on this trip is K. I'm still not sure what EDSM is showing me as the numbers don't jive with what I've done. It shows hundreds of first discoveries, but my ELWs don't appear. Not sure really how to use this info, or what it really represents. Is it just since my last dock or something? I'm talking about the exploration page in the dashboard. I don't think it would work for someone other than me, but here's the link

https://www.edsm.net/en/dashboard/exploration

Nothing unique in the URL so I guess only I can see this info?

I can't wait to dock and get this data sold. I have about 3,800 light years to the station.

#4516691 - 04/16/20 02:44 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

For my CMDR those infos in the EDSM dashboard are also not correct, like in my trip (stats and more here: Elite forum) I came across 28 ELWs (most first discoveries), but EDSM only counts a total of 14 first and 19 total visited.
That's one reason why I have EDD running in parallel on a second screen while playing.

White dwarfs, neutron stars etc. are basically towards the very upper and low edges of the galaxy, like the last systems you can visit out there, sparsely mixed with other rarities and main sequence stars. As I didn't have a AFMU in my ship, I did not use any neutron or such boosts, only some synthesis to get to some remote systems to tick off an item in the Codex. And those were usually white dwarfs.

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/16/20 02:49 PM.
#4516695 - 04/16/20 02:57 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, thanks man, for confirming EDSM might not be accurate.

And for bringing up the AFMU. I actually used it! First time ever. Just before logging off last night I thought I'd have a look at my modules. And I found the AFMU itself and the shields were both at 98%. I haven't had any mishaps, so it must just be normal degradation from flying so far and doing so many jumps. So I used it to repair the shields back to 100%.

As I'm nearing my sell station, and should be there by Friday, is there some way I can prepare to get a detailed run-down of what I turn in? Like a summary of this trip so far?

#4516700 - 04/16/20 03:31 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by WhoCares

I've been taking the time to map all ELW, WW, AW and anything terraformable. I've skipped some THMCs, but I go and map most of them. Other stuff just gets mapped if it's really close to something else I am mapping, and doesn't require much time to fly to.

Pretty much my process. I got sidetracked by another game (Frostpunk) the last couple of days, so I haven't spent much time on my tour. I'll have to get back to it soon.

When I FSS a body I always get a message that adaptive zoom has failed. What does this mean?

You need to fine tune the FSS on the scale at the bottom. You've found a body you can zoom on but it isn't of the type currently highlighted. At least that has been my experience.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 04/16/20 03:35 PM.

-Robert Heinlein
#4516704 - 04/16/20 03:38 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Yeah, thanks man, for confirming EDSM might not be accurate.
As I'm nearing my sell station, and should be there by Friday, is there some way I can prepare to get a detailed run-down of what I turn in? Like a summary of this trip so far?

While the dashboard info we talked about earlier does not seem to be accurate, you can see in my link above that for that trip I found that the "Estimated scan data since last docking" value is indeed rather spot-on.

Last edited by WhoCares; 04/16/20 03:39 PM.
#4516707 - 04/16/20 04:00 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

You need to fine tune the FSS on the scale at the bottom. You've found a body you can zoom on but it isn't of the type currently highlighted. At least that has been my experience.

Thanks JC, but I'm not sure that's it, because I get this when I am actually successful in zooming in to FSS scan the planet. That said, I often leave the Spectral Analysis centered so it reveals several types of bodies. Like you leave it in the center of the metal, rocky, ice zone and it will work on all three. Maybe it's a message that I am not accurately tuned using this 'shotgun' method.

you can see in my link above that for that trip I found that the "Estimated scan data since last docking" value is indeed rather spot-on.

I checked that thread, and that's very impressive. Is it saying you flew 180,000 light years on that single trip? Maybe I should get EDD. I didn't see where EDD was showing your first discoveries. Nicely done WC, and I appreciate your help, and everyone who has chimed in here.

#4516722 - 04/16/20 04:51 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

Thanks JC, but I'm not sure that's it, because I get this when I am actually successful in zooming in to FSS scan the planet. That said, I often leave the Spectral Analysis centered so it reveals several types of bodies. Like you leave it in the center of the metal, rocky, ice zone and it will work on all three. Maybe it's a message that I am not accurately tuned using this 'shotgun' method.

Hmmm. The other thought is that you don't quite have the planet in the crosshairs? I've had that happen where I had to center the crosshair a bit more for it to zoom.

-Robert Heinlein
Page 10 of 55 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.