#4516198 - 04/13/20 04:58 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

This current iteration of ED has been out since about 2015 right? My gut feeling tells me that the majority of ED players do not have it in Steam but bought it directly from Frontier. I think ED has been on Steam for only 2 years or so.

I bought ED Horizons on Steam in Feb 2016. Cost me $30.36. Pretty sure this was my first purchase and I didn't buy ED first and then Horizons...

Nope... Bought ED for 14.99 on Dec 25, 2015

So a whopping ~$45 for 2,215 hours of fun...

$0.02 per hour..

Whole thing On sale now for $14.99

Attached Files edpurchase.JPG
Last edited by Recluse; 04/13/20 05:12 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4516200 - 04/13/20 05:06 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'd say you've definitely gotten your money's worth with ED Recluse! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4516205 - 04/13/20 05:31 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Got my first ELW today! Unfortunately I wasn't the first to discover it, but it's the first one I've found so far.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Screenshot_0000.jpg

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4516208 - 04/13/20 05:47 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Rec has certainly gotten his money's worth, but I suspect there are unreported ship upgrade purchases biggrin

Elite's a good deal yeah. Don't know what I paid, but when I bought it Horizons was already a thing. I've thrown in a few bits for skins too.

Hey JC,congrats on the earth-like! If you want to get some first discoveries I can give you the names a few zones to hit on the way back, which may be way out of your way. I'm sure you'll hit some soon. After i crossed about 1000 light years I was finding vast fields of undiscovered systems, probably 16 straight at one point. I took off from Hillary Depot on the Colonia highway a couple hours ago and have a lot more. Leaving Hillary I flew back up and out to starboard as the galaxy map view defaults. No ELWs or AWs yet, but hundreds of HMCs and a number of water worlds. I don't filter my stars to make ELWs more likely, I just take what comes.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4516211 - 04/13/20 06:11 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I bought into Elite during beta, I just had to because I had played the original game on the C64 and spent a lot of time in Frontier: Elite II. After years of rumors, when it became obvious that this version was actually going to see the light of day, I figured I'd jump right in. I got the lifetime pass too, though that appears to have been a waste of money since there haven't been any paid expansions since Horizons. I still figure I got my money's worth out of the game, though.

DB are you running into any trouble finding fuel stars by not filtering? I was considering doing the same, figuring I'd run across some lesser traveled areas that way.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4516212 - 04/13/20 06:15 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not yet, but that's always a concern. Worst so far was three unscoopable in a row, which uses about 60% of my fuel, so one more max jump. At that point I will just look around nearby for a good star and gas up before re-plotting the longer route.

#4516215 - 04/13/20 06:24 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

DB are you running into any trouble finding fuel stars by not filtering? I was considering doing the same, figuring I'd run across some lesser traveled areas that way.

Oh the rookie mistakes I made when I first started playing ED. One of the more infamous ones was running out of fuel because I had somehow run into a huge brown dwarf field and only realized it when it was too late. Ah well, it was just like 150k I lost since it was a lowly Cobra Mk III. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/13/20 06:26 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4516216 - 04/13/20 06:26 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey Panzer, are you on Inara?

#4516218 - 04/13/20 06:28 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
Hey Panzer, are you on Inara?

Not yet but I plan on getting on there. I just have to set aside the time to do it.

#4516223 - 04/13/20 06:55 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Next time I'm on I'll try turning off the filtering and seeing how it goes.

There's always Fuel Rats!!!

-Robert Heinlein
#4516226 - 04/13/20 07:17 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Not yet but I plan on getting on there. I just have to set aside the time to do it.

Then I can look at your stuff. biggrin

It's really useful in-game. If you link it through something like EDMC it always knows where you are, so when you alt-tab to find a mat trader, or a system, or a good sell price or whatever it already has it sorted by distance from your current location. It tracks your mats so when you view a blueprint it shows how many of each required component you have onboard.

Maybe the auto-Frontier account link does the same thing, but I usually have EDMC running in the background. I rate Inara as the most useful third party site.

#4516230 - 04/13/20 07:55 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
If you're exploring it helps to join up and link your data to https://www.edsm.net/ (Elite Dangerous Star Map) as well (EDMC can do that, and you can also link directly to Frontier). Some good feature helping out exploring and it tracks your progress and discoveries.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4516309 - 04/14/20 11:53 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Made it to a point about 7,000 light years from Sol. The first discoveries continue to come by the bushel. I have no idea how many so far, but it's in the hundreds. Still no ELWs, but lots of water worlds. I found one ringed ammonia world but forgot to map it before I jumped out and by the time I remembered it was too far to go back. Derp.

I'm arrowing toward Colonia, so I guess that's my destination. I had the idea that it would be great to unlock the engineers there. Not to use them, but to get more blueprints pinned. For example I can only have one of G5 armor or HRP engineering. Unlocking that Petra chick would let me pin one of each Not sure I'll hang around long enough to get this done though, and it would require transferring a couple of other ships all the way out there. We'll see once, and if, I get there.

The ship has done great. I've had no mishaps and all modules remain at 100%. In all I've flown about 10,000 light years so far, and have surpassed my old distance mark.

Here's one cool system I got my tags on. I bet there's good bounty hunting here haha. A ringed water world in the center.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files rings.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 04/14/20 11:58 AM.

#4516313 - 04/14/20 12:20 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for the tips Recluse and DBond.

On a different subject, how likely is it that Frontier will release new ships in the future besides the fleet carriers?

#4516317 - 04/14/20 12:34 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think it's highly likely new ships are released. We can't reach the end with no Panther Clipper I reckon smile

#4516367 - 04/14/20 04:50 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Now about 8,000 light years out, but still 15,000 from Colonia. Found my first virgin ELW of this expedition. Last system I dropped to had three ammonia worlds, two were in co-orbit or whatever it might be called. I'm passing up a lot of mapping opportunities on terraformable HMCs, Gotta balance the time. I don't want to be doing this for a month. But I try to map all ELWs, WWs and AWs I come across. The route I chose has proven to be amazing, as it's nothing but undiscovered space. Every now and then I'll see a commander's name. But I can tell not many come this way when heading toward the core.

I'd really like to find a beta site nearby to get my first discoveries.

#4516383 - 04/14/20 06:17 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Has anyone here gone from the bubble to the extreme "northern" or "western" end of the Milky Way? For my next trip I think I'll go as far "west" as possible. That should be easily over 100,000 LY.

#4516387 - 04/14/20 06:58 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Now about 8,000 light years out, but still 15,000 from Colonia. Found my first virgin ELW of this expedition. Last system I dropped to had three ammonia worlds, two were in co-orbit or whatever it might be called. I'm passing up a lot of mapping opportunities on terraformable HMCs, Gotta balance the time. I don't want to be doing this for a month. But I try to map all ELWs, WWs and AWs I come across. The route I chose has proven to be amazing, as it's nothing but undiscovered space. Every now and then I'll see a commander's name. But I can tell not many come this way when heading toward the core.

I'd really like to find a beta site nearby to get my first discoveries.

Wow you are doing great! On my journey, I did a ROAD TO RICHES jaunt which, I guess took me along a more beaten patch. I did diverge now and then and made a few FIRST Discoveries and FIRST Mappings, but nowhere near yours.

I think I only went about 3-4000 light years.

EDIT: I used the Colonia Connection Highway https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Colonia_Connection_Highway

to plot a Road to Riches jaunt to Amundsen Terminal

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Amundsen_Terminal

Last edited by Recluse; 04/14/20 07:08 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4516389 - 04/14/20 07:30 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah Rec, my idea was to try and figure out a path that would be less traveled. I know I'm not the first one to think of this, so you never can really know where that is. As I said earlier people always seem to go off-plane by heading down, so I went up. I then angled out to starboard about 40 degrees as you look from the bubble toward the core. I tried to fly mainly along an axis that pointed toward no nebula or other phenomena visible in the galaxy map. At 999 ly I found the first undiscovered. Then a few systems of mixed, where commanders had been along and either scanned or mapped some, but not all, of the bodies. Places visited before exploration was changed are going to have a lot fewer planets done. It's so easy and quick now to scan everything, only the mapping takes time right?

By 1500 light years outbound it was all virgin. I've hit more than 200 systems so far and half of them have been undiscovered easy. No way I was going to keep track (and dammit the game should be doing this for me), but I believe it'll be well over 1000 first discoveries by the time I reach Colonia if we add up every rice world. Some systems are 40 or 50 bodies alone. I'd like to find a grail system with multiple ELWs. So far I've found some good stuff, but not all in one system. I kinda did this as a spur of the moment thing, going from concept to execution in two or three days lol. But I'm having a good time, and the notion of forever tagging my name on the galaxy was the thing that first drew me to Elite. Having so much success doing this on this trip is really cool. Of course someone might be turning in my data right now and not all of these are guaranteed to become first discoveries. I guess we'll see.

When I did the first sideways run to Hillary Depot on the Colonia highway I ran in to tagged systems almost as soon as I turned 90 degrees. After leaving there and heading back out to starboard they started coming back. Now I am on a heading to take me in to Colonia, so angling back to port, and I'm starting to see more tagged systems again. But most are minimal, leaving plenty of un-tagged bodies. Right now I have coordinates dialed in for a station about 6,000 light years short of Colonia. I plan to stop over there, sell my data, spruce up Mad Hops and then leave for Colonia.

I have some screens of some interesting systems, but don't want to post them to the internet until I've turned in the data. If anyone here wants to know where I've been let me know. I've jumped past thousands of virgin, untagged stars on this trip.

#4516390 - 04/14/20 07:38 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
No way I was going to keep track (and dammit the game should be doing this for me), .

EDSM keeps track!! Might also be CODEX entries. After all when you go to SELL The Cartographics department KNOWS what was first discovered/mapped

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

Page 9 of 55 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.