Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4515692 - 04/10/20 05:31 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: VonS]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
No, I think you are correct. However, maybe xjouve can get some good ideas from both!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4515736 - 04/10/20 11:17 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: VonS]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thank you guys! Greatly appreciated. smile

Originally Posted by VonS
Found it, the reduced foam and darkened shorelines are located in ver. 1.05 of this effects package by "4L0M":

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4340289/re-4l0m-new-effects-for-ue#Post4340289

Also worth a look is ver. 2.0 of that package too:

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4341557/re-4l0m-new-effects-for-ue#Post4341557

As indicated in my previous post - these are "technically" only compatible with WOFF UE, but some of the effects (such as thinner shorelines) may work okay in PE - providing you can find/extract the effect you are looking for xjouve.

@BB, entirely possible that xjouve was maybe thinking of Olham's river mod. instead - in that case simply disregard my couple of posts xjouve. biggrin

Von S

OMG I didn't know these. Downloading! It seems really interesting. band

A last pic for today. I changed a little bit the color contrast range.

Chasing over northern Flanders.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 04/10/20 11:25 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515771 - 04/11/20 08:45 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Unfortunately, I tried 4L0M's textures and with no disrespect at all for its author, the shorelines look like way too shiny to me.

I'm gonna look at what I can do. IMHO a first thing to do would be to decrease their color intensity to make them almost invisible, but still there to add that little 3D aspect. It might not be that difficult.

It seems me that shorelines are not made of clear color, but most likely of dark color. Perhaps the trick is here.

Here's Ypres from 4.5k m high.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 04/11/20 08:51 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515799 - 04/11/20 01:33 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Xav, I agree completely about the shorelines, they should be much much less stand-out than they are currently. Your work is looking outstanding, can't wait to see the final version.

#4515827 - 04/11/20 04:05 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

@xyouve

I follow with interest your work.

IMHO the more intensive colour contrast range in the picture next to last is too high.

It is an occasion for me to recommend you don't try / do too much at once.
A more real water-landscape with transfer into the inflight-map and that for the whole frontline will be absolut enough work, I'm sure.

P.S.: It's only a tipp, not more.

#4515832 - 04/11/20 04:24 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Ideally, a variety of shorelines would be nice, although I know that would involve at least twice the effort.

In general, I like the darker, or less cluttered shorelines that are shown in the above pic, but not every lake and pond are the same! Some will have relatively clear shorelines, while others may be cluttered with a bit of flotsam and jetsam, not to mention cattails and lily pads!

Regardless of what you come up with, xjouve, I'm sure it will be very nice. Thanks for your efforts.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4515835 - 04/11/20 04:32 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: Becker01]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Becker01

It is an occasion for me to recommend you don't try / do too much at once.

You are right indeed. However, a more realistic shoreline texture is, I'm afraid, a key to achieve a clean work with shorelines activated.

IMHO, at the moment water rendering ingame is better without CFS3 shorelines texture. It may be okay for a river or two somewhere, but when you have watershapes everywhere, that becomes borderline ugly. I agree with Lou that they should be much less stand-out than they are currently.

That being said, BuckeyeBob is right about the variety of shorelines that exist. Unfortunately, there is only one texture for all shorelines in CFS3 and I believe in WOFF as well.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/11/20 04:47 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515836 - 04/11/20 04:40 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I started, and I think nearly finished, the water shapefile for the Somme area.

A bit tricky, but I'm faster now at finding what to do. The Somme River is beautiful, but it is not a straight line to say the least.

[Linked Image]

Close-up on one part of the Somme waterbed (in the center of the above screenshot).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 04/11/20 04:44 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515874 - 04/11/20 09:04 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

The very first screenshots from the Somme River Theater.

The Avre River going west from the city of Roye

[Linked Image]

Ok, look carefully, don't you see something weird? duh

[Linked Image]

Péronne on the north east

[Linked Image]

The Somme River from Morlancourt

[Linked Image]

The above location on Google Earth.

[Linked Image]

Well, I'm sure that you saw what I meant by something weird. wink Woods and rivers don't fit well.

So, we know that all waterbeds are correctly located (if Microsoft processes are OK; but I trust them). Therefore, the LCF (landclass) is not. I placed the LCF manually, mostly guessing as there's no apparent rule or existing application to do it, and we know that LCF and map (CFS3's; not mine ^^) are both stretched in CFS3.

This leads me to think that:

• 1) I missed the rule to place it (but the localization is good for northern Flanders...); or
  • 2) The LCF needs to be readjusted a bit for each part of the frontline (which is not a big deal afterall)

Anyway, the result is very good for a first shot and less than a day work.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/11/20 09:22 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515875 - 04/11/20 09:20 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Did anyone notice that Xjove's albatros is missing a wheel!! He must have been playing in the water again!! biggrin

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4515885 - 04/11/20 10:12 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Xjouve, that is fantastic work and I'd love to see these waterways replace the painted on rivers. Have you thought what would happen to the bridges if your mod replaces the texture tiles? Would all bridges need to be relocated / made new to span wider shores?
Also, I think the shoreline texture is the same as for the Channel, so if you make it work for the rivers it may look wrong for the seashore. Just wondering as I'm not 100% sure if what I'm saying is correct.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4515918 - 04/12/20 02:13 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Looks really good so far. Is it possible to just have treed areas all around the river, that would seem more realistic rather than it being just water painted over landclasses like farms and such,

Coming along great though!

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4515923 - 04/12/20 02:53 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
very nice progress. are you able to make the rivers and sea at lower level than the land. maybe adding river banks or elevating the land a bit will give it more dimension. especially, when light/shadow reflects off the angled surfaces.

Last edited by orbyxP; 04/12/20 02:55 AM.
#4515945 - 04/12/20 08:35 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: orbyxP]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks guys. smile

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Did anyone notice that Xjove's albatros is missing a wheel!! He must have been playing in the water again!! biggrin

It took a bath at the end ^^

Originally Posted by Fullofit
Have you thought what would happen to the bridges if your mod replaces the texture tiles? Would all bridges need to be relocated / made new to span wider shores?
Also, I think the shoreline texture is the same as for the Channel, so if you make it work for the rivers it may look wrong for the seashore. Just wondering as I'm not 100% sure if what I'm saying is correct.

Two questions there:

1) Of course, bridges would have to be relocated. An application displaying everything on a map, with the possibility of drag and dropping stuff to relocate would be great. I'm thinking about that.

2) That's right. However, as I'm creating sub-theaters, this would be a problem for northern Flanders only. But actually, speaking of Flanders, the real world shore consists of beaches (which is something that can be covered ingame with my CORINE's LCF), therefore, the shoreline texture that you see is not accurate. So having another unaccurate one for this area won't be too much of a problem IMHO.

Originally Posted by OvStachel
Looks really good so far. Is it possible to just have treed areas all around the river, that would seem more realistic rather than it being just water painted over landclasses like farms and such,

Coming along great though!

That's precisely what I'm trying to achieve at the moment. But, I'm using trial-and-error by moving a bit pixel by pixel the landclass layer, which is not ideal.

Making progress; but when getting better somewhere, it's getting worse elsewhere. Definitely a problem with the landclass layer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The more I'm working on it, the more I'm thinking that I'm missing the appropriate projection.

Actual terrain files (elevation, rivers, shorelines) need to be Geographic Projection / WGS84 Datum prior to be used for inclusion into CFS3 engine. Therefore, I used this standard for every other files.

If you look back into this thread at this post https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads....heater-questions-for-the-dev#Post4514332, you'll see that the result is a map stretched horizontally. Now, what has to be known is that CFS3 maps and LCF are squares, so how to reconcile rectangular Geo/WGS84 and square CFS3? I tried Google Mercator projection standard which gives almost a square at the end, but it didn't fit with CFS3's. Still trying then.

Originally Posted by orbyxP
very nice progress. are you able to make the rivers and sea at lower level than the land. maybe adding river banks or elevating the land a bit will give it more dimension. Especially, when light/shadow reflects off the angled surfaces.

Not now. I've let aside elevation data for the moment and decided that it would be better to use CFS3 old SRTM30 for a start. Maybe I'll retry later.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/12/20 08:37 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515974 - 04/12/20 12:59 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

It's really quite amazing the progress you've made on this Xav, and in such a short amount of time. Outstanding!

#4515984 - 04/12/20 02:00 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Xav, I really like the shore treatment on the river in you most recent post as opposed to the standard one in WOFF where the shoreline looks artificial with the light soil edging.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4516003 - 04/12/20 03:54 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Xav, I really like the shore treatment on the river in you most recent post as opposed to the standard one in WOFF where the shoreline looks artificial with the light soil edging.

Best Regards

+1

#4516048 - 04/12/20 07:48 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Superb stuff xJouve - I'm amazed by those couple of pics. in your last post above. Eagerly following developments in this thread.

Von S smile

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4516093 - 04/12/20 11:04 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
gecko Offline
gecko  Offline

I'm not often over here, but xjouve's posts at SOH on this brought me. I think there may be a way to have two types of shoreline. Not sure if it will work, but may be worth a shot. Since you are making incredibly detailed water features, the stream.dds texture (which has been made invisible in WOFF) could possibly be repurposed as a shoreline since it clearly won't be needed for its original purpose. As I understand it, using this texture involves adding a stream vector the same way roads are added. So in theory, you could leave the shoreline texture looking more beachy, and use stream.dds to create a shoreline texture better suited to rivers and small bodies of water, and use no edge texture in other areas, such as where a river passes through a town.

Best of luck on this project, looks like you've made some great improvements! As a CFS3 guy, I hope this eventually ends up part of a full size map, but in any case I'm looking forward to what you do with it.

#4516104 - 04/12/20 11:58 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: gecko]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by gecko
I'm not often over here, but xjouve's posts at SOH on this brought me. I think there may be a way to have two types of shoreline. Not sure if it will work, but may be worth a shot. Since you are making incredibly detailed water features, the stream.dds texture (which has been made invisible in WOFF) could possibly be repurposed as a shoreline since it clearly won't be needed for its original purpose. As I understand it, using this texture involves adding a stream vector the same way roads are added. So in theory, you could leave the shoreline texture looking more beachy, and use stream.dds to create a shoreline texture better suited to rivers and small bodies of water, and use no edge texture in other areas, such as where a river passes through a town.

Best of luck on this project, looks like you've made some great improvements! As a CFS3 guy, I hope this eventually ends up part of a full size map, but in any case I'm looking forward to what you do with it.

That seems very interesting! I need to have a look on it! Thanks Gecko!

Best Regards,
Xav.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.