Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4515030 - 04/06/20 09:38 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I've worked on the LCF file again today. Well, I think that one good LCF can be used for the whole theater (actual one) and any other sub-theater.

The orignal one is really off. Therefore, I decided to start over from a new one.

Here's the original one

[Linked Image]

Here's the CORINE's, which is now compatible with CFS3. But it's overkill. Too much variations. It would be great, but we don't have enough textures to take full potential.

[Linked Image]

And the a 2GIS map that I'm using as a palette. I've made tiff2lcf (the CFS3 landclass converter) to be compatible with it. 5 colors palette: water, forest, fields, urban and industrial. The result is acceptable. (sorry with this resolution, it is not possible to see the differences in colors)

[Linked Image]

And now ingame.

Ypres and Zillebecke on the right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ypres. Not perfect, but okay considering that our precision is limited.

[Linked Image]

Houthulst forest on the left, with Madonna village (yeah, not the singer lol). Langemark, Poelkapelle and Westrozebeke from bottom to top in the middle; and I think, Zonnebecke on the right.

[Linked Image]

P.S. Notice that I changed the frontline layout for something that I think is closer to reality.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/06/20 09:52 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515081 - 04/07/20 09:17 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I'm currently working on the flooding which ended the Yser battle in 1914.

My first version was made out of elevation data only. It proved to be okay but obviously incomplete. So today I've made more calculations to add rivers in the process.

1) I started by sticking a map of the Yser battle to an actual OSM, using geolocalisation of cities and villages. That's why you can notice that the map is stretched. Well, this is not the best map ever, certainly not accurate as a standalone document, but it is sufficient here as the computer will simulate the flooding based on rivers, water flow and elevation data for a level of accuracy that would have been difficult to reach by the time of the war without great deal of observation from the sky and days of work.

[Linked Image]

2) I downloaded 1 arc-second resolution elevation data for the area designated by the map to have been flooded

[Linked Image]

3) I added rivers and water bodies for this area and started to calculate watersheds for a 4 feet flood (I eventually read that the flooding was 3 to 4 feet)

[Linked Image]

4) Here's the result in pink. It matches fairly well with the old drawing of the map. I do believe that we have here a fair display of what the flooding has been. To my knowledge, this representation has not been done before (at least, I haven't been able to find such document).

[Linked Image]

Now I'll add this ingame. smile

Last edited by xjouve; 04/07/20 12:20 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515101 - 04/07/20 12:09 PM Re: New theater: Questions for the DEV [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Xav, I applaud your efforts with the in-sim map, however using real world maps make actual navigation considerably harder as they don't match up with what you see in the sim itself. This was the motivation for me to do a full photo recce of the entire OFF/WOFF front about five years ago and from those countless photos construct accurate maps of the actual in-sim roads, railways, rivers, forests, cities, etc. If you've not seen those maps they can be found here: Users Mods Page - Maps

Thanks again for all your time and talents on working to improve our much beloved sim.

Cheers,

Lou

Thanks to your huge work on the maps, Lou, and work on the Mission Editor by JJJ65, I personally never use an in-game map in 3D anymore. Right before each campaign flight after a briefing I launch Mission Editor on my main PC and one of your corresponding maps on my second screen/PC. I then draw flight vectors on your map from what I see on the ME map (adobe acrobat or any other editor can be helpful). Then I close ME and launch a flight. Now I can realistically navigate with the in-game compass and with what I see in 3D comparing it to the flight path I drew on your map. No need for GPS so this adds that critical navigation immersion layer that was always missing for me in WoFF before your maps and ME. Now I wish I could do the same in the briefing map even without opening the ME.

Cheers.

Last edited by Dirk98; 04/07/20 12:09 PM.
#4515119 - 04/07/20 01:59 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Dirk, glad to know you are enjoying those maps and making good use of them. They were a labor of love. smile2

Xav, you are definitely making progress, well done. Now when you say we don't have enough textures to make full use of all the variations in the CORINE's version, how many additional texture variation sets would be required and what would they be? Just curious.

#4515147 - 04/07/20 04:21 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Hi Lou,

I should have provided the forum with the palette ID and labels. My bad.

Here is the palette. You'll find original CFS3 categories in red. These are the most important ones as each ID corresponds to an existing texture set. To make CFS3's tiff2lcf converter compatible with both CORINE and 2GIS, I added their reference colors (RVB.. RGB in english) by linking each one to the ID number of the closest CFS3 category (I may have made mistakes BTW). Therefore, because CORINE has more classes than CFS3, then you'll find sometimes several CORINE's glued to a single CFS3's.

Examples:

1) I linked CORINE's Glaciers class to CFS3's Ice by giving ID number 1 to color 166,230,204
2) I linked CORINE's Discontinuous urban fabric class to CFS3's Medium city by giving ID number 34 to color 255,0,0

And so on.

[Linked Image]

Regarding the lack of textures, speaking of northern flanders, for instance it might be good to have nice Beach, dunes and sand textures, and Port areas textures. We would then assign them new ID numbers.

Last edited by xjouve; 04/07/20 04:59 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515376 - 04/08/20 08:09 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Here's the water shapefile for the northern flanders (red circle is Ypres) theater. It is a very complex one. I'm getting hard times making it usable ingame. The water.exe, the application that creates hyp cell files for CFS3 crashes while trying to convert it. It reaches its limits.

[Linked Image]

However, at the moment, it works for the south part of the area. Hopefully, improvement will be possible.

Screenshots now.

The Lys river crossing the frontline (#%&*$# dark shadows appeared when I came back to the game as I saved the screenshot with the map first.. wierd)

What you see underneath the Spad is Nieppe, and next to the lake, you can see Armentières (the LCF might be relocated north slightly, but it fits quite well)

[Linked Image]

Location on the map.

[Linked Image]

A stream

[Linked Image]

Courtrai in the upper right

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 04/08/20 08:12 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515378 - 04/08/20 08:57 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

I get it to work for the entire area. But it kills FPS. I have to work a bit more on it. But improvement is clearly possible!

But well, wait, can you see where The Citadel of Lille should be? ahoy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by xjouve; 04/08/20 08:58 PM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515379 - 04/08/20 09:24 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Xav, I'd be curious to know what sort of FPS hit you would get if you had the wonderful new rivers, lakes, waterways, and flooding, but left the stock WOFF urban areas as they currently are in the sim. I don't know about others here but given the choice I'd love to have the new water even if nothing else changed.

#4515398 - 04/08/20 11:38 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by xjouve

A stream

[Linked Image]

This made my day - what a beauty. And I agree with Lou - even the addition of the extra water, without any other changes, would be excellent. I do hope to see some of these lovely, small streams included - then the 'drome could go fishing and bathing between flights.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 04/08/20 11:39 PM. Reason: Fixed typos.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4515425 - 04/09/20 05:25 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Yes, that new water looks very well - more natural and real.

#4515436 - 04/09/20 08:40 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thanks!

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Xav, I'd be curious to know what sort of FPS hit you would get if you had the wonderful new rivers, lakes, waterways, and flooding, but left the stock WOFF urban areas as they currently are in the sim. I don't know about others here but given the choice I'd love to have the new water even if nothing else changed.

• Regarding FPS, as I'm using a workstation and not a proper gaming machine, it might not be relevant. LCF (urban areas and other classes) aren't that performance consuming from what I see. Actually, the flooding is the main problem. CFS3 algorithm to create hydro files is getting lost when there are many nested polygons (shapes into shapes), and this is exactly what a flooding is producing: parts of fields surrounded by water, among other parts of fields surrounded by water, etc. I'm exploring some strategies to get rid of this. However, if it is too complicated, then I'll simply use my first version of the flooding, which works well, but, which is less historically accurate. Anyway, one has to be a real expert in hydrology to see that it doesn't perfectly displaying a real flooding.
  • Regarding the use of the hydro files, it is totally disconnected than terrain classes. In other words, one would be able to use rivers with actual WOFF terrain classes and map. smile

Last edited by xjouve; 04/09/20 08:42 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515502 - 04/09/20 03:52 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

It sounds like I won't be able to use the accurate flooding ingame, without a recoding of CFS3 processes.

So, I've just updated my first version based only on elevation data, and tried ingame with what I would call a medium density version. However, in comparison with the first version, this one includes much more shapes.

I think that it looks okay and I'll now try to add it to the main water shapefile along with rivers and other waterbeds.

What do you think of it?

[Linked Image]

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515514 - 04/09/20 04:56 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@xjouve,

I think it looks superb - to me the flooding on the pic. in your post above still looks very realistic (I'm no expert in hydrology). Also very pleased that extra rivers, rivulets, streams and streamulets, etc., will be able to be included in WOFF without too much hassle. I am eagerly following these developments.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 04/09/20 04:58 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4515604 - 04/10/20 07:33 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: VonS]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

Thank you very much!

Succeeded! I can't tell how happy I am; both the rivers and flooding finally merged. It was really hard to get it done.

Yser River, looking East over occupied territory

[Linked Image]

Nieuport on the north, the gate to the sea

[Linked Image]

PS: off topic, the water looks a bit bluish when subjected to reflexions IMHO, isn't?

Last edited by xjouve; 04/10/20 07:45 AM.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515623 - 04/10/20 10:53 AM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
xjouve Offline
xjouve  Offline

And now I added shorelines. Very few are missing there and there, but IMHO it doesn't matter.

From south to north

Armentières

[Linked Image]

Ypres

[Linked Image]

Dixmude

[Linked Image]

Nieuport

[Linked Image]

I'm not a big fan of the shorelines texture TBH. However, I must admit that it adds volume. Is there a mod for this texture available? Maybe that would be the solution.

Best Regards,
Xav.
#4515642 - 04/10/20 02:06 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
This is some amazing work. xjouve.

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4515654 - 04/10/20 03:23 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Supurb Xjouve,absolutely superb pal.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4515677 - 04/10/20 04:55 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by xjouve

I'm not a big fan of the shorelines texture TBH. However, I must admit that it adds volume. Is there a mod for this texture available? Maybe that would be the solution.

There is indeed a "foam reduction" mod. for the shorelines - somewhere, out there...I think on Sandbagger's mod. site - I remember downloading the mod. (it worked with the Ultimate Ed. of WOFF; possibly compatible with the Platinum Ed. too...) - but I can't find the link to it now (have tried several searches to find it...it's possible that the mod. is included in a larger package...maybe one of the effects packages...). I'm sure someone will remember where the link is.

(As an aside, I don't mind the bluish reflection of the water - and congratulations on being able to fuse the flooding and rivers.)

Von S smile

#4515682 - 04/10/20 05:04 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I think you are referring to Olham's river mod. Perhaps that can be adopted to lakes as well.

Bloody good work, xjouve!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4515690 - 04/10/20 05:26 PM Re: New theater (Questions & Progress) [Re: xjouve]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Found it, the reduced foam and darkened shorelines are located in ver. 1.05 of this effects package by "4L0M":

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4340289/re-4l0m-new-effects-for-ue#Post4340289

Also worth a look is ver. 2.0 of that package too:

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4341557/re-4l0m-new-effects-for-ue#Post4341557

As indicated in my previous post - these are "technically" only compatible with WOFF UE, but some of the effects (such as thinner shorelines) may work okay in PE - providing you can find/extract the effect you are looking for xjouve.

@BB, entirely possible that xjouve was maybe thinking of Olham's river mod. instead - in that case simply disregard my couple of posts xjouve. biggrin

Von S

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.