Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47
#4514799 - 04/05/20 04:50 PM Re: Covid 19 * [Re: Pooch]  
F4UDash4 Offline
Veteran
F4UDash4  Offline
Veteran

SC
Originally Posted by Pooch
Hey F4U. Go out and get it. Who gives a f&%k. People like you are the ones who spread it all over Italy. The Italians were still going out and partying, because you can't tell them what to do. I kn ow, I'm Italian. And so, they had the highest death rate in Europe.
My wife has kidney failure. So she's on dialysis. So she stays home. It would kill her. When I have to go to the store I wear a mask so I don't bring it home.
Covid and alcoholism. Stupid comparison. One is a choice. Besides, they tried banning that back in the 1920's. Remember? That worked really well, didn't it?
So go out, get it. Who cares. I'm going to be safe about it until this crap is over.

Don't be an idiot.

I never said one thing about not being cautious, staying isolated etc.

There is a huge difference between using common sense and charging people with attempted murder for going out in public. Some people just can't have a rational response without going overboard. Like your above post.

“Together, let us take up the challenge to reawaken America's religious and moral heart, recognizing that a deep and abiding faith in God is the rock upon which this great Nation was founded.” - Ronald Reagan, May 4, 1982
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4514801 - 04/05/20 04:54 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: F4UDash4]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by Pooch
Hey F4U. Go out and get it. Who gives a f&%k. People like you are the ones who spread it all over Italy. The Italians were still going out and partying, because you can't tell them what to do. I kn ow, I'm Italian. And so, they had the highest death rate in Europe.
My wife has kidney failure. So she's on dialysis. So she stays home. It would kill her. When I have to go to the store I wear a mask so I don't bring it home.
Covid and alcoholism. Stupid comparison. One is a choice. Besides, they tried banning that back in the 1920's. Remember? That worked really well, didn't it?
So go out, get it. Who cares. I'm going to be safe about it until this crap is over.

Don't be an idiot.

I never said one thing about not being cautious, staying isolated etc.

There is a huge difference between using common sense and charging people with attempted murder for going out in public. Some people just can't have a rational response without going overboard. Like your above post.

It illustrates how panic and fear causes irrational responses. It's ok, the cooler heads always prevail.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4514810 - 04/05/20 05:22 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo

The more I read from legitimate resources, the more it's becoming clear the pandemic is panic, not a virus.

Every one of those deaths has a family in mourning.

#4514812 - 04/05/20 05:25 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: F4UDash4]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

Yes people need to limit their time in public. But you have advocated serious criminal charges, including attempted murder, against those who go out in public. Have a little perspective and dial back the paranoia / panic.

Not so much panic but compassion for my fellow man. America is a selfish country where many people are more concerned about personal material gain than each other. This is a time for unity, not divisiveness, and the most selfless thing anyone can do is sacrifice their time outside in the name of protecting their neighbors.

If we did this then such extreme totalitarian measures by our Government wouldn't even need to be considered. I'd rather they not, as I value my freedom.

We are all soldiers in this battle. Citizens unite, and stand together.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/05/20 05:26 PM.
#4514816 - 04/05/20 05:33 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

If everyone took their role in social distancing for the 2-3 weeks of the contagious period of the virus, there would be no ongoing contagion. It is only the complacent and ignorant who assume there is only a hoax or only something that can harm other people so no biggie, who spread the disease to their local (and in some case more remote) neighbours.

It is those who assume they should just continue 'business as usual' who will extend the duration and spread of the disease and kill more.

Some must be inevitable, but the more limited and careful interactions are, to the minimum degree possible, the faster the disease is starved of new hosts, as it's symptomatic and asymptomatic cases resolve.

#4514817 - 04/05/20 05:36 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island

So "spread rate" is the only thing that matters?

Many of the diseases being used as comparisons have well established medical science regarding risk factors and mitigation. I can choose to follow it, or not. And I alone will pay the price. I get the perspective that people should be let make their own choices based on their own health, and take the consequences. But I'm not sure how that fits with the effort to minimize spread in this situation. If we are going to boil the current response down to some "only thing that matters" (which I have doubts is even valid)... I'd submit that such an "only thing" might be ensuring minimized stresses on the medical system. Not just for COVID-19 patients, but anybody using the medical facilities. Trusting the public to make fantastic personal choices to save the day, might not do much to help with that.

Just because it spreads, doesn't make it any more lethal or less lethal.

Parsing the language carefully... sure, a disease is not more or less lethal just because it spreads. It's rate of mortality will be the same whether 10 people or a million are infected. What *does* directly impact the number of deaths, is the number of people infected.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4514820 - 04/05/20 05:47 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Exactly who suggested that staying at home was the right course of action?

I think that maybe those that are health compromised should stay at home, and anyone who cares for those folks at home should do the same. If, you are concerned for your health, stay home. The rest of us need to work.

Don't know how many times this has to be stressed, the economy is going to collapse. Banks will foreclose and liquidity will stop.

The over reaction and panicked suggestions are going to bring the world into a massive depression, then war.

This virus will look like child's play.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4514828 - 04/05/20 06:14 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
The economy could collapse even worse if we allow this virus to thrive and mutate into something more lethal.

Everyone needs to shelter in place. That is the only way to curb its chances to mutate.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/05/20 06:20 PM.
#4514832 - 04/05/20 06:55 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: Lieste]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Lieste
If everyone took their role in social distancing for the 2-3 weeks of the contagious period of the virus, there would be no ongoing contagion. It is only the complacent and ignorant who assume there is only a hoax or only something that can harm other people so no biggie, who spread the disease to their local (and in some case more remote) neighbours.

It is those who assume they should just continue 'business as usual' who will extend the duration and spread of the disease and kill more.

Some must be inevitable, but the more limited and careful interactions are, to the minimum degree possible, the faster the disease is starved of new hosts, as it's symptomatic and asymptomatic cases resolve.

X2

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4514834 - 04/05/20 07:02 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
Exactly who suggested that staying at home was the right course of action?

I think that maybe those that are health compromised should stay at home, and anyone who cares for those folks at home should do the same. If, you are concerned for your health, stay home. The rest of us need to work.

Don't know how many times this has to be stressed, the economy is going to collapse. Banks will foreclose and liquidity will stop.

The over reaction and panicked suggestions are going to bring the world into a massive depression, then war.

This virus will look like child's play.

With that kind of thinking we will never see the light at the end of the tunnel. What goes around comes around

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4514845 - 04/05/20 08:12 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

Not so much panic but compassion for my fellow man. America is a selfish country where many people are more concerned about personal material gain than each other. This is a time for unity, not divisiveness, and the most selfless thing anyone can do is sacrifice their time outside in the name of protecting their neighbors.

If we did this then such extreme totalitarian measures by our Government wouldn't even need to be considered. I'd rather they not, as I value my freedom.

We are all soldiers in this battle. Citizens unite, and stand together.

very well said.

This disease will eventually go away once immunity reaches its threshold in the population, but it may be several more months or it may take less time. It all depends on how many people follow the rules set by our federal government. Yes, it's obvious we must get back to work, but just like in war, we need to unite and follow our government's guidance to defeat the enemy in a smart way.

#4514862 - 04/05/20 10:09 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

What F4UDash4 is saying, is that we can handle the number of deaths. We handle a greater number of deaths every single.day to a multitude of things. Alcohol, heart disease, flu, even people harming other people, murder, car crashes. As a nation we deal with it, even ignore it without a second thought. And covid isnt even a blip.

What we cannot handle is the damage to our economy.

#4514867 - 04/05/20 10:27 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
F4UDash4 Offline
Veteran
F4UDash4  Offline
Veteran

SC
What F4UDash4 is saying, is that we can handle the number of deaths.

I wouldn't put it exactly that way, any death by this disease is a tragedy. Any premature death by any means is a tragedy. But for some people some deaths by certain means are apparently much more tragic than other deaths by other means. We know what causes the deaths of 90,000 Americans every year, alcohol. IF we were as determined to stop those deaths as some here are to stop COVID-19 deaths then we would take the drastic steps needed to do so.

I think we should take "reasonably" drastic steps to stop the spread of COVID-19 (short of martial law, destroying the economy, charging people who break quarantine with attempted murder etc.) so why shouldn't we likewise take steps to eliminate alcohol deaths? And alcohol doesn't just kill those who partake, thousands die every year as a result of others drinking. Plus many more tens/hundreds of thousands of lives are ruined by alcohol abuse. But apparently those people just don't matter as much as COVID-19 victims.

And I'm not really advocating banning alcohol. Just trying to point out the hypocrisy and lack of common sense being shown by those who advocate draconian measures for something that is NOT equivalent to the Spanish Flu, Ebola etc.

“Together, let us take up the challenge to reawaken America's religious and moral heart, recognizing that a deep and abiding faith in God is the rock upon which this great Nation was founded.” - Ronald Reagan, May 4, 1982
#4514871 - 04/05/20 10:40 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Do any of those conditions you mention overwhelm an entire country's healthcare system? Not only US, but everywhere in the world.

It's about mitigation / prophylaxis:

Auto accidents - defensive driving class
Alcoholism - support groups and many medical treatments
Flu and other viruses - vaccines and other treatments.
COVID19 - ??? We can only guess and hope something works. In the meantime we do what we learned from previous similar diseases.

.... I can't remember when the last time a pandemic hospitalized the prime minister of the UK... it's like a movie script turning into reality...

Last edited by orbyxP; 04/05/20 10:58 PM.
#4514874 - 04/05/20 10:54 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: F4UDash4]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
And I'm not really advocating banning alcohol.

That's good, else we'd have to ban food which I'm sure is far more abused than alcohol resulting in early death (people often abusing both). The key is having moderate habits with both, of course.

The problem I have with these comparisons is that I'm living what I believe is a healthy lifestyle which includes a limited amount of alcohol and unhealthy food. But I see no comparison with something I can breathe in and make my life hell, if even for a short while and without any permanent damage to my long-abused 52 year-old body. That's not even considering possibly giving it to my wife and elderly parents.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4514875 - 04/05/20 10:59 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
What F4UDash4 is saying, is that we can handle the number of deaths. We handle a greater number of deaths every single.day to a multitude of things. Alcohol, heart disease, flu, even people harming other people, murder, car crashes. As a nation we deal with it, even ignore it without a second thought. And covid isnt even a blip.

So we are just a number? You are one cold hearted son of a...

#4514877 - 04/05/20 11:09 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Oh please, don't try to turn this into something it isn't.

I can't recall the last time you said anything about a rabies death, or a kid who died from diahrea. Should I do a search? Are these kind of deaths just a number to you? Where was your compassion?

You know exactly what I'm saying.

#4514879 - 04/05/20 11:33 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
F4UDash4 Offline
Veteran
F4UDash4  Offline
Veteran

SC

You're hopeless. Hyperbole should be your middle name.

#4514880 - 04/05/20 11:38 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: KRT_Bong]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
OK everybody. Let’s calm it down a bit. No need to start personal attacks.

It is getting too pointed and personal.

Ease up or moderators will start tamping down the hottest fires.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4514884 - 04/05/20 11:59 PM Re: Covid 19 [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

You know exactly what I'm saying.

Nope.

I'm seeing people living a normal life dying when they might not have due to an external force beyond their control.

Their lives are dependent right now on both their own choices AND the choices of others. That's what makes this different from alcohol abuse, drugs, risky sex, bungie jumping or stupid behavior.

This is a series of deaths we can all prevent by sacrificing now and fighting a war that is upon us.

What you are suggesting we do is the same as France surrendering to a hypothetical German army that instead of simply occupying, practiced a pure slash and burn policy.

The economy will recover. People who die from covid will not.

Perhaps try looking at this from that perspective.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 04/06/20 12:01 AM.
Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Kung Fury
by Chucky. 11/26/20 08:12 PM
Need a laugh ?
by WangoTango. 11/26/20 07:02 PM
Fantasy NHL League
by WangoTango. 11/26/20 06:36 PM
Thanksgiving In America!
by Blade_Meister. 11/26/20 03:00 PM
Thanksgiving
by NoFlyBoy. 11/25/20 07:16 PM
Uh oh...
by Nixer. 11/24/20 09:12 PM
meaning of a deck of playing cards
by KraziKanuK. 11/24/20 03:27 PM
Criterion Collection BR/DVD sale
by Patrocles. 11/24/20 03:26 PM
Ex Nazi can be deported
by NoFlyBoy. 11/23/20 11:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.