Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4513733 - 03/31/20 04:18 PM TARGET Tutorial  
LubeckTech Offline
LubeckTech  Offline

I've had my T16000M for several years now but never tried to configure it with TARGET and am having trouble using the software.
Basically I am trying to using the stick with Comanche 2020 and it is way too sensitive. When I use TARGET, make curve changes and run the configuration with TARGET GUI Comanche no longer recognizes the joystick unless I turn off TARGET.
What I need is a good overview/tutorial so I understand the structure of TARGET GUI and TARGET Script Editor.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4513851 - 04/01/20 08:07 AM Re: TARGET Tutorial [Re: LubeckTech]  
Drakoz Offline
Drakoz  Offline

Does Comanche 2020 support multiple joysticks, or setting the joystick among all available on your system. Most new games do, so I assume the answer is yes.

When you compile and run a TARGET profile or script (be it in the GUI, or the Script editor), TARGET disables your existing controllers (the T16000M should disappear from the game controller list) and creates a new virtual controller called "Thrustmaster Combined". Did you see this and tell Comanche to use that controller?

If you don't see it in Comanche, close the game, make sure the TARGET profile is running, then re-run the game. Most new games will rescan the game controller list when there is a change, but some games do not, so they only know of the controllers that exist when the game is run. With those games, if you run the TARGET profile after the game is running, it may not see the change. Or, you may find that the game can see the new controller and save it as the controller to use, but maybe when you re-run the game while Thrustmaster Combined is missing, if it doesn't see the controller you previously configured, it may default to a different controller.

A few other comments about how TARGE works...

Both the TARGET GUI and the TARGET Script editor eventually compile a TARGET Script and run it. This script is the script you would see in the TARGET Script editor if using that program. In the case of the GUI, when you run the script, it generates and exports a TARGET Script and then runs a separate window which is the compiler which compiles and runs the script. That window in the GUI does exactly what the TARGET Script Editor does to run script as well.

The file you load in the TARGET GUI is a .fcf file. This file stores info that the TARGET GUI needs but not the TARGET Script Editor. The TARGET Script Editor cannot read the .fcf file. Instead, the GUI must create a .tmc file and pass it to the compiler window. In the TARGET GUI, there is a button you can click that will export the .tmc file, which is a good way to see how your configuration in the GUI can be done in the TARGET Script Editor. Or you can use that file as a starting point to add more advanced features which are not easy or possible to add using the TARGET GUI.

The file you load in the TARGET Script Editor is a .tmc and .ttm file. The .tmc file is the main file (you only have to load the .tmc file), and it references the .ttm file for additional information. In fact, in the Script Editor, when you load a .tmc file, since it references the .ttm file, the Editor will automatically load the .ttm file for you when you compile a script. Additionally, you will see it load some additional .tmh files (target.tmh, sys.tmh, hid.tmh and defines.tmh). These .tmh files are system files used by TARGET and you would not normally edit them. Meaning you should not edit them unless you really know what you are doing.

The above is just an overview of some basic concepts that help understand what is going on. For a tutorial, it is best to follow the Thrustmaster TARGET documentation carefully and come back here with questions. The documentation is pretty thorough, but yes, it may not explain a lot about the background details like I have explained above. So don't hesitate to ask specific questions.

#4513985 - 04/01/20 08:00 PM Re: TARGET Tutorial [Re: LubeckTech]  
LubeckTech Offline
LubeckTech  Offline

Thanks for the Reply!!

I found the documentation in the installed directory but your additional description is helpful.
The problem I an having is when I run the .fcf file the GUI created it shows up in the device analyzer as "Thrustmaster Virtual Game Contorler (root)" but the stick does not change the Axes data and does not work in Comanche. But the stick works if I don't run a .fcf.
Same thing happens if I run a stock file. I am running windows 10.

I can't figure out what is wrong.

#4514056 - 04/02/20 02:55 AM Re: TARGET Tutorial [Re: LubeckTech]  
Drakoz Offline
Drakoz  Offline

If you mean the Thrustmaster Device analyzer, I no longer trust that program. It seems to have significant issues seeing controllers and displaying correct data - even for their own controllers - due to recent Windows 10 updates.

Use the Windows Game Controllers control panel (hit the Windows key and search for "game controllers" - it should be the first hit that comes up). Do you see a "Thrustmaster Combined" there? Are the axis and buttons working for Thrustmaster Combined in the control panel? What about in other games? The problems you are describing concern me that maybe your Thrustmaster drivers or TARGET are not installed correctly. Maybe a reinstall is needed?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.