Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4512837 - 03/26/20 01:17 PM Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK!  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
The recent post by GordyC where he mentions my website... nevermind the fact that I'm off work due to the Coronavirus lockdown with a lot of time on my hands... got me thinking.

I decided to upload my old website again. One of the issues that stopped me doing it sooner is because of how I'd constructed it... it was one of the first websites I ever made and it shows. There were a lot of absolute links that I had to go in and fix, that pointed to the exact web address it used to be hosted at. I've addressed the problem by converting the absolute links to relative ones... so now it doesn't matter where the site is hosted as it points to file and folder paths locally within the site rather than exact web links.

I also had to find another free webhost. I must admit that I didn't spend too much time on this and went with the first one I found that looked fairly decent. I went with InfinityFree for anyone that's interested.

I haven't touched websites or hosting in several years now, so getting back into HTML and FTP was a trip down memory lane.

So anyway... here it is! I've done nothing to it except fix the links that I could find. There may still be some links that I've missed, and of course some third-party content such as the statcounter, etc. won't work. I figured having the full site live again was better than people having to rely on the even more broken Internet Archive snapshots. I also decided to upload Positive G's website again that I took it upon myself to take over after his unfortunate passing. Uploading this site was a piece of cake with no additional work needed, as I'd previously reworked all internal links making the site 'portable' anyway.

Note that when you access my LB2 website you may get a pop-up saying This webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'Windows Media Player' from 'Microsoft Corporation'.
It relates to an small embedded .wav file in most pages on the site that was part of the watermark of the free website builder program I used to use. You can allow or cancel it, it won't affect how the website is displayed or performs.

Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site

R.I.P. Kevin 'Positive G' Speichts | Jane's Longbow 2 - A Speichts.com install guide.

I just decided to throw these two up as well as they were ready to go with no tweaking needed.

Flyboy's Comanche Gold Site

Flyboy's Combat-Helo Tribute Site

Flyboy's Gunship Site

Swagger's Longbow 2 Mission and Campaign Library

Reports of broken links within the site itself would be greatly appreciated. Now that I've made the jump and got the hardest parts over with, I wouldn't mind doing more fixes and tweaks to the site if you think it's worthwhile. Note that I won't really be updating the actual content though.

EDIT: I've since gone into these websites and updated as many links that I could find to reflect the new domain names and also my newer e-mail address.

Regards,
Gary 'Flyboy' Wright

Last edited by Flyboy; 04/06/20 10:42 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4512868 - 03/26/20 04:44 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
GordyC Offline
GordyC  Offline

United Kingdom
That's fantastic news Flyboy - it's a great resource for such a good old classic & great to keep +G's guide going too! A real tribute to him

Getting LB2 going again (& being in a similar position regarding Covid 19) has triggered me into reinstalling EF2000, Tornado, F22 & TAW.
It's crazy; I have a NLRv3 motion platform, Oculus Rift, TM Warthog & pedals all rigged up to run DCS - & here I am messing about with a PIII Win98SE PC & getting these classics running again!
But it's fun.

Now, if only the DCS Apache could make an appearance soon ...or a Lynx!

Gordy

Last edited by GordyC; 03/27/20 07:12 AM.
#4513192 - 03/28/20 04:51 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
Swagger200 Offline
Swagger200  Offline

Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much!!! I am the original author of QuickDraw (map switching batch file) and had lost my copy. Now resurrected thanks to you!

The Dropbox link to Missioneer Plus is 404. Does anyone out there have a link for MIssioneer Plus - sadly I also lost my registered copy of this. Long live LB2!

Shout out to Enforcer and Inspector - if you are still out there

#4513320 - 03/29/20 12:52 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
GordyC - Thanks for the kind words.

Swagger200 - You know you could have always messaged me and I would have sent your program to you at anytime! I've got copies of all files and websites that I've put out in the past. Thanks for the heads-up about the broken links. It seems that Dropbox changed the convention for their links some time ago which has rendered all old Dropbox links obsolete. I have mended the links to Missioneer+ and a few other files, but not all on my site. Go and take a look... you may need to refresh the page if the old link still appears. You don't need to worry about losing your registered copy of M+, just use Namby to crack it.

If anyone comes across anymore Dropbox links that are broken, just go to my main Dropbox folder here as everything is in there. I currently have the larger Comanche Gold, Gunship!, Hind, Longbow 1, Longbow Gold, and Longbow 2 files uploaded there. Helo Sims - Dropbox

#4513403 - 03/29/20 09:22 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
Swagger200 Offline
Swagger200  Offline

Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Flyboy - by the way do you have a lead on Namby? Google is not turning up much.

#4513407 - 03/29/20 10:06 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Swagger200]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
It's on my site right under MissioneerPlus!

#4513409 - 03/29/20 10:11 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
Swagger200 Offline
Swagger200  Offline

Aurora, Ontario, Canada

#4513414 - 03/29/20 10:59 PM Re: Flyboy's Longbow 2 Site is BACK! [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
No worries. I'm now starting to get used to having so much time on my hands what with being off work due to the isolation situation and am getting interested in web development again, so I may even look into doing more with the LB2 site as yet.

Any suggestions for additions or improvements will be considered.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.