Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4512669 - 03/25/20 01:37 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I use these guys for my images.

https://postimages.org/

Anyway, one automotive trend I'm not crazy about is "LS all the things", that is, swapping a GM LS V8 into absolutely every vehicle that can accommodate one.

Yeah, the LS may be the most cost effective V8 design ever, and can handle big power even in factory trim, but its just blasphemy to put them into non GM vintage musclecars, not to mention Porsches, Ferraris, Toyotas, etc.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4512672 - 03/25/20 01:43 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
I did not buy my LS430 for any of that, the reliability of the this generation car is unreal. Many of them with over 500 thousand miles on them still running like new.
And luxury like no other car made. That is what I bought it for. All seats heated and cooled, rear seats recline with massage. Mark Levison stereo is unreal. Could go
on all night listing them.

Just not into muscle cars anymore. Just my Lexus.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4512673 - 03/25/20 02:07 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I use these guys for my images.

https://postimages.org/

Anyway, one automotive trend I'm not crazy about is "LS all the things", that is, swapping a GM LS V8 into absolutely every vehicle that can accommodate one.

Yeah, the LS may be the most cost effective V8 design ever, and can handle big power even in factory trim, but its just blasphemy to put them into non GM vintage musclecars, not to mention Porsches, Ferraris, Toyotas, etc.

You mad about that kickass Fiero on Page 1? biggrin I've also heard of Northstar conversions.

GM killed the Fiero just as it was being perfected (1988), dammit. frown And I'm not over it yet.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4512675 - 03/25/20 02:18 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: MarkG]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by MarkG

You mad about that kickass Fiero on Page 1? biggrin I've also heard of Northstar conversions.

GM killed the Fiero just as it was being perfected (1988), dammit. frown And I'm not over it yet.

Fieros are a great candidate, but c'mon, Mustangs and Toyota Supras?

#4512687 - 03/25/20 08:40 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
This is my mustang engine
A before and after

Attached Files WERBk1s.jpgbY75WmS.jpg

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4512718 - 03/25/20 01:45 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada

Attached Files 1ad.jpg

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4512793 - 03/26/20 03:40 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
or you can get a mustang fox body for 7 or 8 grand and put a 150 dry kit on it and dot slicks.. smoke em all smile

[Signature deleted]
#4512814 - 03/26/20 10:57 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
They are beautiful cars Archie. Such sleek clean lines. I see yours has the windscreen for top down cruising.

How many miles ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4512826 - 03/26/20 11:22 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Back in 2004 I went to the Motor Museum at Gaydon, it was part of a trip that I took as part of the XPower Forums, an online MG club

James bond's adversary:

Attached Files 100_0615.JPG100_0616.JPG

Clan Cameron
#4512827 - 03/26/20 11:38 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

On looking for the above pictures I came across this one of my car being featured at a rally event, we were being hosted by WSR (West Sussex Racing) the official team that built the MG ZR rally cars and the ZS Touring car, they were also the team that brought Ayrton Senna to the UK before he became a F1 sensation.
Second pic is the MG ZR rally car
third getting a seat in the ZS Touring car
Fourth pic, running up a modified Mustang engine before being crated up and sent off to MG to be fitted to a MG SVR
Fifth is a MG SVR

Attached Files 100_0507.JPG100_0505.JPG100_0481.JPG100_0460.JPG100_0398.JPG

Clan Cameron
#4512838 - 03/26/20 01:18 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
They are beautiful cars Archie. Such sleek clean lines. I see yours has the windscreen for top down cruising. How many miles ?

The wind blocker came from Amazon. About an hour for initial set up. It folds down when not in use and removes entirely in 10 seconds. It does not interfere with raising or lowering the top.

I bought the car with 113,000 miles on it. The guy was having trouble selling it because of the "high mileage". It was maintained by the Jag dealer and the miles were mostly from driving back and forth from Ontario to Florida. ( basically an easy, low rpm cruise for the V8) I now have about 140,000 on it. Wife and I have been all over eastern Canada, New England and as far west as Indiana and Ohio.
It's the best GT car I have ever driven. Smooth, quiet, and with plenty of power when needed. It also can go a LONG way on a tank of fuel. Cruising at 65-70mph I have gone almost 500 miles.

Last edited by No105_Archie; 03/26/20 01:19 PM.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4512840 - 03/26/20 01:25 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Alicatt]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Alicatt
On looking for the above pictures I came across this one of my car being featured at a rally event, we were being hosted by WSR (West Sussex Racing) the official team that built the MG ZR rally cars and the ZS Touring car, they were also the team that brought Ayrton Senna to the UK before he became a F1 sensation.
Second pic is the MG ZR rally car
third getting a seat in the ZS Touring car
Fourth pic, running up a modified Mustang engine before being crated up and sent off to MG to be fitted to a MG SVR
Fifth is a MG SVR

That MG Xpower SV(maybe the name as a concept?) was my desktop pic for years.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4512851 - 03/26/20 02:27 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

They were a production car, hand built in MGR's Sport & Racing's workshops, there were a few different models, the base model had the 2V 4.6 engine, the engine in the picture is the 5.0l DOHC Mustang Cobra engine, the heads and valves have been modified to suit the lower spec EU fuel that you get from the pumps here, they also made a supercharged version and then there was one for the race track too. They were going to make one with 700hp but MGR went bust just before then.

When I picked up my ZT260 I got to drive the SV as the garage had just taken delivery of a demonstrator, 4 point racing harness for both driver and passenger and no airbags needed, and yes they are quick.

A few years and 28k miles later I fitted my ZT260 with a Kenne Bell 1.7l supercharger to bring the hp up to 400, still it is a big heavy saloon and not a race car, but, with a 170-180mph top speed and a 4.1second 0-100km/h time it is no slouch either.

MG did make a ZT500 prototype with the 5.0l DOHC engine and 500hp but they had to remove so much from the engine bay, like the aircon etc. they decided it was too extreme for a production model, plus the bigger heads on the DOHC meant that the bonnet and firewall had to be modified to get the engine in. Just at the end MGR made a supercharged version of the 260 called the ZT385 using an Eaton Rootes charger, there were two production cars made and sold before they went bust I have some parts from one of the prototypes including the carbon fibre bonnet but the underside of it had to be butchered to give enough clearance for the Eaton supercharger as it is much taller than the KB one I have on my car, in total there were 42 ZT260s fitted with the KB Supercharger with 400hp and 3 ZT260s fitted with the Eaton with 385hp.

Clan Cameron
#4512896 - 03/26/20 06:20 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

Pretty stout for being naturally aspirated.

I'd put one into my hypothetical 1970 Torino.

[Linked Image]

Of course, 1100 horsepower is really nothing special anymore, where street driven 2500 horsepower cars and 500 horsepower motorcycles are not unheard of.

#4512925 - 03/26/20 07:55 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Alicatt]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Alicatt
They were a production car, hand built in MGR's Sport & Racing's workshops, there were a few different models, the base model had the 2V 4.6 engine, the engine in the picture is the 5.0l DOHC Mustang Cobra engine, the heads and valves have been modified to suit the lower spec EU fuel that you get from the pumps here, they also made a supercharged version and then there was one for the race track too. They were going to make one with 700hp but MGR went bust just before then.

When I picked up my ZT260 I got to drive the SV as the garage had just taken delivery of a demonstrator, 4 point racing harness for both driver and passenger and no airbags needed, and yes they are quick.

A few years and 28k miles later I fitted my ZT260 with a Kenne Bell 1.7l supercharger to bring the hp up to 400, still it is a big heavy saloon and not a race car, but, with a 170-180mph top speed and a 4.1second 0-100km/h time it is no slouch either.

MG did make a ZT500 prototype with the 5.0l DOHC engine and 500hp but they had to remove so much from the engine bay, like the aircon etc. they decided it was too extreme for a production model, plus the bigger heads on the DOHC meant that the bonnet and firewall had to be modified to get the engine in. Just at the end MGR made a supercharged version of the 260 called the ZT385 using an Eaton Rootes charger, there were two production cars made and sold before they went bust I have some parts from one of the prototypes including the carbon fibre bonnet but the underside of it had to be butchered to give enough clearance for the Eaton supercharger as it is much taller than the KB one I have on my car, in total there were 42 ZT260s fitted with the KB Supercharger with 400hp and 3 ZT260s fitted with the Eaton with 385hp.

It's a great looking car, I was pretty disappointed it wouldn't be sold here. IIRC they threatened a factory nitrous system option to push close to 1000hp.LOL
Found my old wallpapers.

Attached Files MG-XPower-006.jpgMG-XPower-003.jpgMG-XPower-004.jpgMG-XPower-002.jpgMG-XPower-001.jpg

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4512957 - 03/26/20 11:14 PM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite

It's a great looking car, I was pretty disappointed it wouldn't be sold here. IIRC they threatened a factory nitrous system option to push close to 1000hp.LOL
Found my old wallpapers.

yeah it is, was looking for my book on the SV but it must be back in Scotland.

The nitrous one was 700hp, and then the nitrous on top to bring it up to over 1000hp, insane but I like it. A couple of friends had SV/SVRs ond one guy also had a Mini Metro 6R4, he said bring a gallon of Shell V-Power 100octane and I give you a run for about 100meters along the road biggrin that car was insane I didn't even have the time to get frightened I was too busy struggling to sit up straight in the seat biggrin

Edit:
6R4 in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwvDFvLiIqQ

Rear mounted engine in Jerry's 6R4

Attached Files 100_0499.JPG
Last edited by Alicatt; 03/26/20 11:20 PM.

Clan Cameron
#4512967 - 03/27/20 01:05 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Arthonon]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by Arthonon
I'd probably be OK with just tweaking the brakes and maybe the suspension, but I've seen it where people basically have the original body as a shell on a whole new car, and I'm sure the cost was crazy, and I just don't see the need for that. For me, when I see an old Mustang or Camaro, I just remember being a kid and thinking how cool they were, and I'd like to have that connection.

Definitely get that. Shocks, springs, brakes, bushes, ride height, tyres are all the basics most people upgrade when owning an old tough rig to make it a bit pointier. No use having all that grunt when she handles like a brick. I imagine most of us remember the hours spent laying under cars with mates and a few beers chasing better handling. I like getting in an old muscle car...and she feels like an old muscle car.

I would still like to totally upgrade an oldie to more current standards though, i'm too old now to appreciate every bump in the road and would like to be able stop in a hurry if need be without leaving half my tyres on the tarmac and skid marks in the cabin.

I much prefer the smaller side of muscle cars though, easier to get them to handle decently..and go fast wink

This was my '76 LH Torana, threw out the six snd slotted in a nicely worked 350 chev i built to a Smokey Yunick build with around 475hp , TH350 tranny and 9" diff combo. OMP harness seats, battery in the boot full velour interior and the slr5000 dash Went like the clappers and handled nice for what she was. Bit understeery though but the chicks loved that paint job biggrin I would love to do another Torrie.

[Linked Image]

'74 HJ Pemier with a baby block 253, she was my highway cruiser, spongy ass suspension, what one would call floaty. When you went over a bump you got to enjoy it for another minute nearly got seasick. She was a cool rig though, used to be the tow car for a local legend drag racer in Darwin in the '80's.

[Linked Image]

This was my first baby in the early '80's. '69 HK Premier, left over velvet dash and roof lining from the '70's. Even the interior of the glove box was velvet! Really clashed with those stock door trims, but i thought she was cool. Another small block but we slotted a celica five speed manual in as the original box and stick was terrible. I made sure she had a tacho on the dash even though anything above 4500 rpm was just noise and no power lol.

[Linked Image]

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4512974 - 03/27/20 01:29 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Of course, 1100 horsepower is really nothing special anymore, where street driven 2500 horsepower cars and 500 horsepower motorcycles are not unheard of.

I really don't get that. I can't speak for cars, but motorcycles, 500 horsepower? Most powerful bike I ever rode had 175, and I sure never felt like it needed more power. I (and a group of riders who rode that thing) unanimously agreed "this is enough". We were all in our twenties and really testosterone loaded too. And most of us had track experience. And dirtbike experience.

I could see the use for 1100 horsepower in a car, but 2500? On the street? Makes no sense to me unless you want to be the king of all burnouts, or want to go 250mph (on the street?!)...

#4512976 - 03/27/20 02:25 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Zamzow]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Zamzow
I really don't get that. I can't speak for cars, but motorcycles, 500 horsepower? Most powerful bike I ever rode had 175, and I sure never felt like it needed more power. I (and a group of riders who rode that thing) unanimously agreed "this is enough". We were all in our twenties and really testosterone loaded too. And most of us had track experience. And dirtbike experience.

I could see the use for 1100 horsepower in a car, but 2500? On the street? Makes no sense to me unless you want to be the king of all burnouts, or want to go 250mph (on the street?!)...

Because, sheer excess.

Maybe someone wants to do a burnout *while going* 250mph on the street!

#4512991 - 03/27/20 08:22 AM Re: True HP of the 8 most powerful classic era muscle cars [Re: Zamzow]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Zamzow

Or go down the track in under 6 seconds

Red Victor 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0An-lpPXws

Followed the progress of Andy and the Red Victor team for quite a number of years, also chipped in some cash to help them make the 5 seconds with a street legal car that is taxed insured and passed it's MOT. RV3 makes upwards of 3,000hp

Clan Cameron
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.