Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31
#4509980 - 03/08/20 01:51 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Fullofit
Dear Bob, I want it all! And I want it now!

Ha! That does seem to be the common consensus.

Thank you for the feedback. Their are pluses and minuses to each approach. I agree that it is historically inaccurate to fly in extremely cloudy/rainy conditions. On the other hand, like VonS, I know that many of us (myself included), are gluttons for punishment and don't mind the occasional challenge of flying in undesirable conditions.

Fortunately, it shouldn't be too difficult to provide several weather options, including a default "light" heavy weather option and a heavier "stormy weather" option. I can tinker with the number of heavy clouds in the stormy weather option so you won't see them quite so often.

Becker01--I assume you are using the latest version (2.01) of my Historical Weather mod. It reduces the number of rainy days where you are required to fly and also reduces the chances of heavy and medium precipitation on days when you do fly.

VonS--Thank you for the continuing work on all of your mods!

P.S. The update will also have slightly reduced wind speeds. For example, there are now three cloud types that have wind speeds of 6 m/sec. I have reduced that to only one cloud type in the update. I also cut back slightly on the number of cloud types with wind speeds of 5 m/sec. This will make flying in the early war period just a little easier.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 03/08/20 01:58 AM. Reason: added postscript

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4510388 - 03/11/20 12:11 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
90% done?*

*but 10% of the work....

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4510709 - 03/13/20 05:10 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Okay then.

I am at the stage where I could use the help of a few beta testers. Ideally, I would like at least one person who uses my mod with JJJ's Mission Editor and at least one person who does not. Please send me a PM if interested.

Depending on the response, I should have something ready for testing in a day or two.

#4510802 - 03/13/20 09:25 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

@BB

I would like to help you, but I'm too busy to test it seriously at these weeks. Sorry!
I hope, you have some members for the test.

Greetings!

#4510840 - 03/14/20 05:07 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: Becker01]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
That's fine, Becker. I understand how busy one can be these days, what with viruses and panic buying and what not. Thank you for your interest, though!

#4510841 - 03/14/20 05:13 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Anybody else willing to lend me an hand? So far, I have just one volunteer.

Come now, there's a war on!!

#4511021 - 03/16/20 12:14 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Bob

I will jump in and do some testing for you, providing you can outline some guidelines of what needs to be looked at.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4511053 - 03/16/20 03:35 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thank you for the offer, Robert. How much time do you have to spare? Currently, I have four testers, but one or two may not have a lot of time to devote to testing right now, so if you have some time I can certainly add you to the list. Or, would you prefer if I put you "on call" for help as needed?

I don't anticipate any technical issues to crop up, at least any that I can fix without access to the game code, so this beta is mainly to get feedback from testers in as great a variety of weather conditions as possible. It's simply not possible for me by myself to test every single cloud type in every weather condition at any different altitude.

Cheers!

#4512444 - 03/23/20 07:20 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The beta is progressing apace, so now is your last chance to provide input, identify a problem (other than cloud popping or flashing), or make a request for something that you would like to see in the mod.

One question I have for users of the current, 2.9.2 version: what would you like for me to do about fog and mist? I can leave it pretty much as it now is, or get rid of the low level, flat clouds (at the cost of atmosphere) that tend to be responsible for most of the flickering at ground level. Anyone want to share their thoughts on the matter?

#4512452 - 03/23/20 07:53 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @BB,

short answer:
Please don't decrease the low level fog and flat clouds!
I look forward to your mod, all different types of clouds and specially the 8/8 overcast / cloudlayer.

Greetings!

#4512487 - 03/23/20 11:42 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Becker01, I had to look up your reference to 8/8 clouds, and once I did that I see that you are a glutton for punishment.

The more (clouds) the merrier, right? Never fear, there will still be plenty of opportunities for lots of 8/8 sky conditions, just not quite as many as before.

There are no 8/8 clouds in WOFF right out of the box, so if you want to get that fix, my mod is a good place to start.

I will also preserve the option to keep all low level clouds. Basically, there will be a normal, "all clouds" option, as well as a light, "fewer heavy clouds" option.

#4512788 - 03/26/20 02:40 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Last chance to chime in!

#4513279 - 03/29/20 04:48 AM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I'll be posting my completely overhauled version of the cloud mod tomorrow. Until then, here is a section from the readme, detailing some of the important changes:

• New: Entirely revised version. Almost every existing cloud in OCM 3.0.0 has been completely revised and optimized in order to improve frame rates, improve overall appearance, and significantly reduce the appearance of cloud "popping" in the game. While some amount of cloud popping is inevitable due to the CFS3 game engine, version 3.0.0 reduces cloud popping by approximately 50% from previous versions of the mod. Note: In order to eliminate as much cloud popping as possible, I also recommend that you activate HarryH's No Cloud Pop Mod, which is fully compatible with OCM 3.0.0
• New: Light Weather Option. Per user request, this option removes ten heavy cloud types from the campaign to reflect that many missions in the Great War were cancelled due to poor flying conditions. Low level fog and mist effects are also reduced in this option. If you prefer the "challenge" of flying in any number of different weather conditions, including very cloudy and stormy weather conditions, activate the Full Weather Option.
• New: Nine new clouds, including four additional "light" rain or snow clouds. Three original WOFF clouds that were not included in previous version of the OCM have also been slightly revised and included with this version. Overall, the presence of these new clouds should result in somewhat improved flying conditions in both "heavy" and "rainy" weather conditions, even with the Full Weather Option. The full list of additional clouds in 3.0.0 can be found at the end of the readme.
• Weather folders have been tweaked in order to accommodate new cloud types and provide a better balance between good, light, and heavy weather conditions.
• Slightly reduced the appearance of fog and misty weather conditions, as these clouds are particularly affected by cloud popping.
• Wind speeds adjusted slightly to improve balance between good and poor weather conditions.

I've been working on this update off and on for the last 10 months or so. Please raise a toast to my beta testers, 77_Scout, Fullofit, HarryH, and VonS.

#4513308 - 03/29/20 12:12 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all your efforts Bob and that extends to the beta testors. We are so lucky to have so many contributing modders here!
Your work is much appreciated. I for one will be using your mod permanently as I have with your previous releases.

Cudos to you.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4513326 - 03/29/20 01:19 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thanks, Robert. It's always nice to hear that one's work is appreciated, even if it's for modding a computer game. Although it has been a lot of work, it has also been a pleasure to contribute, if only in a small way, to the sim we all love.

I recommend that everyone upgrade to the new version. In addition to the new clouds, there are a ton of visual and performance improvements as well. While far from perfect, I think most people will be pleased with the results.

Please note that I have created two versions of the mod: a full version and a light version. WOFFER's who had decided against using the 2.9.2 version because of cloud popping, banding, and flashing may want to give the new version a try, particularly the light version.

I'll get the new version posted as soon as the cat stops napping on my lap!

#4513331 - 03/29/20 01:48 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Bob, what’s her name?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4513333 - 03/29/20 01:59 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
She is a he!

He came to me pre-named as "Velvet." He was a solid, black cat, with just a hint of brown. Now that he is older, the brown is more noticeable.

I'll see if i can upload a photo...

cat

Velvet1

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 03/29/20 02:11 PM. Reason: Added photo link

#4513337 - 03/29/20 02:06 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks as always Bob for your time, talent, and efforts on this exceptional cloud mod of yours, it is much appreciated. I look forward to giving the latest version a try!

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4513339 - 03/29/20 02:15 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Mostly time and effort, Lou. I'm not sure talent had anything to do with it!

#4513340 - 03/29/20 02:19 PM Re: Optional Cloud Mod [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Okay, now that the cat has cooperated, here is the link to the new, improved, version: WOFF UE PE OCM 3.0.0

I will also post a link at the end of the first post on this thread and (eventually) send the file to Sandbagger.

Enjoy! Please post any questions or observations on this thread.

Page 21 of 31 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 30 31

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.