Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 148 of 366 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 365 366
#4512031 - 03/21/20 03:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Yeah Seb, that promise made to Kitty was made with your fingers crossed behind your back. Keep von Toombs safe and leave those poor Tripes alone. What have they ever done to you?
Great flying and story to go with it. BTW, that cheese must have tasted sweet. Always looking forward to what mischief Sebastian is up to. Keep it up.

Well, well, well! Look what the cat dragged in! Welcome back Wulfe. And welcome Evan. Great start for the young Brit. I’m glad he survived his first scrap. From that video it looks like he’s an old hand at piloting, despite his meagre flight-time experience.
Note to the Gods of War: how about introducing a rule to use your left hand for the first 10 hours to simulate the inexperience. Unless you are a southpaw, then you have to your your other left hand. How ‘bout it?
Anyways, glad to have you back Wulfe. Your stories are always full of detail. You can almost taste and smell them. Brilliant!
BTW, why not finish Fullard’s story? Did he survive the war?

Raine, boys oh boys! Another colourful character enters Collins’ life. I also hope James take the advice of chef Sicard regarding the vines. And worry not about Mulberry rending the skies Hunless. Something tells me the digital German women have been very fertile prior to this conflict and the supply of sons of Vaderland may be limitless.

Carrick, you have a pretty nice supply of wine, rum, cheese and bully beef. Why not make your own poutine râpée?

MFair, congrats on the near-impossible feat! Two Tripes? Geez, you know how hard it is to replace them? You’re not making it easy for the Entente to win this air war. And now with Ganz’s butt firmly planted in one of those new shiny D.III’s who knows what will happen. Those Brisfits better watch out!

Lou, same here. Toby’s stuck on the ground watching the blizzards roll by. There’d better be brandy on hand, or there will be ... trouble.

Bob, agreed. There is some talent here.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4512033 - 03/21/20 03:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Seb - A pleasure to meet you! It certainly looks like your man knows his way around that Vee-Strutter...just fighting two Tripehounds in an Albatros is bold as brass, never mind downing one! And that balloon stunt! Evan will be watching out for that chap...

Lou - So very glad to see that Swany is still alive and well!

Fullofit - I see 'Chesty' has been feasting upon the Hun in my absence! Good stuff! Funny you should mention Evan's flying - I have often thought it's a shame we can't reset our flying knowledge with every new chap...I try to simulate it a little by leaving the icons off, but once you're in the fight it's all muscle memory! You may recall that poor old Fullard met his end at the hands of a Roland flight, having run smack-bang into the middle of them on a particularly cloudy day. Heavily wounded, the valiant American managed to get his crate onto terra firma, but sadly succumbed to his injuries.

Evan C. Easom,
No. 48 Squadron RFC.

Part 4: More Rain.

The rain continued on through the night, glimmering like a silver dust-sheet in the morning haze as La Bellevue Aerodrome stirred to life and, having accompanied Ackerman to the Flight Offices, Evan was disheartened to find that, again, the day’s missions had been scrubbed. Not knowing quite what to do with himself, Evan headed again to the Officers’ mess. He stepped into the little wooden building to find Tidmarsh propped up in an armchair, scrutinising a newspaper. Upon Evan’s entry, Tidmarsh’s eyes flicked upwards. “Hullo, Evan,” he said cheerfully, and then as Evan stepped into the Mess and made for the seat opposite, a wry smile crossed his face. “Ah - not so fast, old boy! Hats off in the Mess, remember!”.

Slightly embarrassed, Evan snatched the khaki cap from his head, before settling down into an armchair of his own. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t know” he said sheepishly, and Tidmarsh winked at him.

“More rain today, eh? You’ll have to wait to get at the Hun again, Evan”.
“Yes, I know. Awfully frustrating, to be honest”.
“Well, I’m not bothered. Any day I can avoid being shot about by a Vee-Strutter is a fine day”.
“Vee-strutter?”
“Yes, the new type of Albatros. They have Vee-struts, like a Nieuport Scout. Horrible things! They can climb like angels and turn on a dime. Why, even the old square-winged jobs were frightfully good compared to our DeHavs in Number 24”.

Evan frowned slightly, picturing again the pack of German scouts he had witnessed on his first flight. He remembered their sharply curved wingtips, and the fish-like fuselages. He wondered if they had been ‘Vee-Strutters’. Just then, his thinking was interrupted by the arrival of a stocky little Corporal, standing at Evan’s side and saluting stiffly. “Second Lieutenant Easom, sir?” the man asked. “Yes, that’s me,” replied Evan, puzzled. “Captain Robinson has requested that you meet him in his office at first convenience, sir”. As the Corporal expectantly waited, Evan shot Tidmarsh an uncertain glance. “Well, old boy, you’d better get along then!” Tidmarsh said in answer.

Turning up the collar of his flying coat and rushing back out into the rain, Evan zig-zagged between the various Bell Tents and Nissen Huts towards the line of Bessoneaux, coming to the C.O’s office and knocking uncertainty on the thin wooden door. After being commanded to enter, Evan slid into the office, shaking the droplets from his coat at the doorway before standing to attention before Robinson, who sat reclining behind his desk. “You asked to see me, sir?” Evan dutifully questioned, as Robinson motioned for him to sit. The Captain methodically laid flat a piece of paper in front of him, smoothing it over with his hand and studying the typewritten narrative upon it. Without looking up, he started to address Evan. “I’ve had a look through the reports of you and your observer from the nineteenth, and I find myself...interested...by your scrap with this Roland. Let’s see here...your observer says that you engaged in a turning combat with the Hun, firing your forward Vickers at him?”.

Swallowing nervously, Evan nodded. “That’s correct, sir. I did. Only, it rather felt as if I wasn’t piloting the machine. It was instinctual”. Robinson pursed his lips, looking over at Evan. “Hm. That is most unusual. From the sounds of your report, it seemed that you got away with it, but I urge you to remember that we are not a scout squadron. The Brisol is a Two-Seat machine. Two-Seat machines deal in Reconnaissance, and Artillery Spotting”. The Captain leaned forwards, steepling his hands together as he leaned on the desk. In the dim morning light, the device on his Victoria Cross ribbon danced with reflective shine.

“Perhaps I was too hasty in sending you to the front. I should have let you get your bearings in the air first. In future, I advise that you try and stay close to your neighbour, and allow your Observer to handle the gunnery, when the Hun gets at you”. Weakly, Evan nodded again. “Yes, sir. I’m sorry. I’ll make sure to do so”. The Captain smiled again, reclining back in his seat. “Well, never mind, eh? You weren’t to know, I suppose. It’s a bloody shame that they send you chaps over from England with just thirteen hours”.

The rest of the day stretched on into a molasses-like boredom, and Evan attempted to find something to interest himself by flitting between the hangars and the workshops, watching from the entrances the Ack-Emmas working on maintaining each machine, refitting machine-guns, checking the tension of flying wires. In the second hangar he found the machine which he had piloted, A3338, and on its surfaces he found some amusement in discovering the small patches of linen where bullet holes had been covered. Inboard of the lower port-side wing he spotted one such patch, and in a flash he remembered overflying the trenches, and the tracer round suddenly cutting up and through the bottom of the wing. He found a curious sort of pride in that little patch. He thought that it showed that he’d been “in it”.

In the early evening he retired again to the mess, procuring a mug of port from the bartender and finding his observer, Wickham, lounging in one of the armchairs. The observer was happily dozing, his un-booted and sockless feet propped up on a wooden crate in front of the boiler. As Evan approached his eyes flickered open, and he flashed a tired smile. “Ah. Hullo, Easom. What’s the news?”. Evan shrugged. “Hullo, sir. Not much. Captain Robinson saw me today. Say - how was my flying the other day? Was I okay?”. Wickham pondered the question for a moment. “Well, I must admit dear boy, I’ve yet to see another pilot throw around a two-seater like that…” Evan felt another pang of embarrassment. “But, that being said, you had that Hun cold, my boy! In fact, you know, you might be onto something…”

[Linked Image]

#4512038 - 03/21/20 04:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Wulfe, excellent story. You must forgive me as my memory ain’t what it used to be, I had forgotten just how good a writer you are. Kuddo’s!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4512042 - 03/21/20 04:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
My memory isn’t that great either. I must have erased that unfortunate bit of information that Fullard never recovered. Shame on me.

#4512043 - 03/21/20 04:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob

I do enjoy everyone's flying stories and how they manage to fill the time while grounded with vivid character descriptions and depictions of life in the Great War.

We really have quite a collection of fine writers and story-tellers on this site. Some pretty good pilots, too (Seb, you have heard the old maxim about old pilots and bold pilots)?

High praise Buckeye! Thank you.

You sound just like Seb’s C.O. I genuinely thought he would die yesterday, so after surviving the two Tripes I thought if I’m going down I’ll take the target with me! No one was more surprised than me to come out unharmed! You just got to love this sim!

Last edited by SebToombs; 03/21/20 04:20 PM.
#4512087 - 03/21/20 08:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
2 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

March 22, 1917.

Got off for a bit in the murky skies, We should have stayed down, We were somewhere near or over the lines going in and out of dark clouds when our 3 a/c section was flown over ( appx. 300feet by 2 large 2 seat hun machines. I dove to gain speed and turn. There was a loud explosion then fire and smoke behind me. My # 3 had turned left and my # 2 had turned right causing a Midair collision . The E/a had diapered in the murk.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-03-21 13-22-16-50.jpgCFS3 2020-03-21 13-23-23-05.jpg
#4512088 - 03/21/20 08:52 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Carrick, that is a pretty l’arc de non-triomphe.

#4512093 - 03/21/20 10:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, I think you get the prize for one of the coolest screenshots I have seen.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4512095 - 03/21/20 10:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I agree, very cool screenshot.

Assuming he survives the war, it looks like Nigel Philby took up barnstorming or acrobatic flying! What a show!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4512173 - 03/22/20 11:58 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Fullofit - there appears to be plenty of brandy over at Vert Galand should Toby run low. Just saying.

Buckeye Bob - sorry about your vision decline. I must say though, it does not appear to have diminished your ability to create those super cloud mods of yours. Here's hoping medical science can provide a way for your sight to improve. As for the lack of time thing, I'm afraid you're in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to that one.

Carrick - I agree with the others about that screenshot, really quite stellar. Too bad it cost Nigel's crew two men and two machines to get it.

Wulfe - That Captain Robinson sounds a typical old-school sort. The Bristol's a two-seater and therefore should be flown as one; you've a forward-facing gun but we don't want you to use it. That's the kind of thinking that will win the war, eh? A most enjoyable episode.

22 March 1917
Vert Galand, France

This morning, amid low gray clouds and falling snow, Captain Swanson took B Flight out on a patrol of the enemy lines from Havrincourt Wood to Monchy-le-Preux. It was cold, damp, and uneventful until they reached the north end of their circuit at which point Swany spotted several enemy planes attacking the British trenches at Athies. The Captain waggled his wings and the entire flight dove on the intruders, which turned out to be four of the latest Albatros V-strutters. Swany was thrilled, he really wanted to see how his Pup would fair against them. Plus, it had simply been a long time since he'd been in aerial combat of any kind and he was anxious to learn if he'd kept his edge. As it turned out he had, though truth be told it was over before it barely began so he wasn't entirely sure how he would fair in a real go-round. The Hun were at a major disadvantage from the start seeing as how the Pups had come diving down, giving them the upper hand in both altitude and speed. Add to that the British troops in the trenches who, upon seeing the RFC swooping in to their aid, became emboldened and opened fire with a vengeance on the Albs, (of course the Bosch troops just across the mud saw them coming as well and opened fire on the approaching Pups in an effort to help their own). The following photos outline the very brief first encounter Captain Swanson had with the newest Albatros scout:

Captain Swanson picks out one of the Hun trench attackers and closes quickly on him.
[Linked Image]

The Alb pilot attempts a climbing turn to port, but Swany uses the speed he'd built up in his initial dive to follow.
[Linked Image]

The Captain can see that the Hun has climbed too hard and is stalling out, and waits for his prey to drop back down.
[Linked Image]

Brief moments later the Alb falls and banks directly in front of Captain Swanson who rakes the entire side of the helpless enemy.
[Linked Image]

Swany watches as his shots find their mark, the Hun pilot stiffening in his seat as his mount carves down and slams into the shell-pocked mud below.
[Linked Image]

The Captain looks over his shoulder at his handiwork then turns west to get away from the Bosch on the ground who are now banging away at him madly.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The rest of B Flight had similar success, destroying one other Alb and driving the remaining two away. Swany regrouped his men and headed back to camp where AARs and claims were submitted. A stellar first encounter with the air Hun for Captain Swanson and 66 Squadron.

#4512190 - 03/22/20 02:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, I find that hard to believe. You must realize Mulberry has been stationed there not too long ago and during his stay there the area had been drained of the fine liquor. I’m afraid Swany and his lot will have to satisfy themselves with the leftover swill.
On a more positive note it looks like the good Captain hasn’t lost his touch and the Huns can attest to that, at least those that were lucky enough to run away. Congrats on a swift victory. May we see many more like this one. Von Toombs and Ganz take note: there’s a new sheriff in town. (I never thought I’d say that in WoFF, but here I am ... saying it.)

22 March, 1917 08:45
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
80 confirmed kills

The blizzard finally subsided on the third day. Only light snow continued to come down. The Germans were up early this morning and were already overflying Furnes. The signal to scramble was given soon after and both flights dispatched to intercept. Toby climbed in the falling snow as high as he could and finally came through the top of the snow clouds to be greeted by icy blue skies and two DFW’s in front of him. He shadowed them for a while and approached them as close as possible, then opened fire on the trailing machine. The leader noticed him and returned fire, but it was too late. His wingman was trailing grey smoke and was already losing altitude. The leader was next and was met with similar fate. Both disappeared into the snow-laden clouds to crash somewhere below.

YouTube Link

#4512192 - 03/22/20 02:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Lou - Well! If I remember my historical skins correctly then Captain Swanson just fried himself a rather large fish! Congrats!

Fullofit - 80 victories by March 1917! Outstanding. Manfred von who?

Evan C. Easom
No. 48 Squadron RFC

Part 5: High in the Empty Grey.

The following day Evan woke to find La Bellevue bathed in a golden sheet of sunlight, the small puddles that had formed on the waterlogged aerodrome glistening like untapped silver. With hope in his heart, he accompanied Ackerman and Rast to the flight offices - and, yes! In ‘B’ Flight’s office he found Wilkinson writing up the day’s sorties! At his arrival, the Flight Commander turned to face him. “Ah, Evan. Good morning. The Captain’s asked that I put you on the 10 O’Clock show, behind our own lines, to give you a little more experience in the air”. Evan nodded gleefully. “Thank you, sir!” he happily responded, before taking his leave and heading to the mess.

Inside he found Tidmarsh in his usual position, seated by the fire, alongside Rast. At the far end of the room, another melancholic piano tune softly filled the air. “Morning, Evan!” Tidmarsh called, waving him over. “Come and have a look at this!”. Evan obliged, sinking down beside Rast in an empty armchair. With a sharp-toothed grin, Tidmarsh held out the copy of ‘Flight Magazine’ that he had been reading. “There’s an article in here about our new scout. The S.E.5. They say she’s miles ahead of anything the Hun have. The chaps in Number 56 just recently got the first ones, lucky devils!”

Evan looked over the greyscale illustration printed in the article, and read aloud. “The most recent warplane devised by the Royal Aircraft Factory is the Scout Experimental 5, or S.E. for short. Powered by the 150 Horsepower Hispano, the S.E.5 is unmatched in speed and climbing ability”. He looked up at Tidmarsh. “Goodness! I wonder if we’ll get a chance to see one!”. Tidmarsh laughed. “Well, you never know!”. From the direction of the piano came a new voice. “I doubt it. Number 56 are posted near Wipers”. Tidmarsh sighed with a smirk. “Must you always be such a spoil-sport, Holliday, old boy?” he called back. The Pianist, Holliday, simply turned back to his playing.

At around half-past Nine the four pilots gathered around the table for a spot of breakfast - buttered toast and eggs - before spilling out onto the aerodrome once more and heading towards the Nissen huts to collect their flying gear. “Are you on the 10 O’Clock show as well, Evan?” Tidmarsh asked, and he nodded. “Well, splendid! I’ll see you on the flight line, then!”. He turned off and disappeared through the doorway of a hut, and Evan trod carefully through the mud towards his own residence. As he crept inside to collect his flying gear, he found Ackerman penning a letter at the writing-desk. “Off on patrol?” he asked, without looking up. “Yes. We’re staying on our side, apparently” Evan replied. Ackerman nodded. “Well, best of luck”.

At a quarter to Ten evan joined the pilots and observers by the Hangars, where they stood making idle chatter and sharing cigarettes. Wickham greeted Evan with a broad grin. “Hullo, Evan! Looking forwards to it today? We should have a nice, quiet time of it. And look who’s decided to come along!”. Gesturing, Wickham pointed to one leather-clad pilot, and with a start Evan realised that it was Captain Robinson! Upon sighting him, the Captain bounded over with a friendly smile. “Evan! I thought I’d better come up and keep an eye on you. We’re only going to Lavieville, but I want you to get a good lay of the land. See if you can find all the major landmarks on your map and commit them to memory”. Stiffly, Evan stood to attention and saluted. “Yes, sir. Thank you, sir!”. The Captain laughed heartily. “Oh, for heaven’s sake, man! No need for all the stiff formalities!”.

Tidmarsh passed off a cigarette to Evan as, ahead of them, their flight leader stood before them. Evan recognised the pilot as Holliday, the pianist. With a disinterested air he tiredly looked over the aircrews. “Well, there’s not much to it. We’re flying over Lavieville and coming back again. Let’s go and get it over with. Mary, you’re number two. The new chap will be behind you”.

With that, the aircrews headed towards their machines. Climbing into the cockpit of A3338, Evan suddenly found, to his complete surprise, that his hands were trembling slightly. As he looked down at them, an image flashed in his head of his first sortie - the two machines colliding and tangling, falling to earth in pieces. He shook his head in annoyance and breathed deeply. A moment later an Ack-Emma swung his prop, and he was comforted slightly by the warm, soothing vibrations of the engine.

The feeling was not to last for long. No sooner had the four Bristols taken off when the sky opened up, pouring down a barrage of sleet towards the British machines. With the downpour whipping viciously at his face Evan huddled tightly into his cockpit, shaking with frost and desperately focusing on trying to maintain his formation as the Bristols climbed up and into the clouds. What followed was an hour of misery unlike any known to Evan thus far. Frozen to the bones, he followed Holliday’s Bristol through a clouded, frozen sky. In the midst of his misery he had forgotten Captain Robinson’s command to scan the landmarks - only realising this long after he had gratefully returned to land.

As Evan sat in the mess that night, having opted for a murky, milk-less cup of hot tea over a stiffer drink, he couldn’t help but feel disheartened at the day’s flying.

#4512201 - 03/22/20 04:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, I see Swany is as sharp as ever,
Fullofit, your invincible bud!
Wulfe, I hope Evan has 2 sets of woolies. Excellent story.

Offstv Gunther Ganz.
Jasta 6, Wassigny
12 victories
March 22, 1917

The Jasta was in high spirits today. With their recent success all were feeling well. Ganz sat it his new machine looking left and right. Wulf had decided the Jasta colors would be black and white. All the machines hade their tail planes painted black and white striped. He felt good as the Kette lifted into the air. Wulf lead the 6 machines, climbing into the partly cloudy skies. As they started circling to patrol height Ganz felt better than he had felt in while. He had rested over the last few days of inactivity. As they reached 2000 meters bullets hit Ganz’s Albatros just as the whole flight scattered like a covey of quail! It was a total surprise. Ganz had felt the sting of a bullet graze his arm. In an instant the skies were crowded with Triplane’s and Albatros’s trying to survive. 2 were instantly on Ganz’s tail. He pulled hard in a circle staying out of the line of fire. Everything was a blur of motion. He was aware of seeing 2 smoking machines heading earthward. An Albatros with a Triplane hard on his tail but he could do nothing to help. After a few minutes of hard turning, Ganz was able to get a good burst on one and they immediately disengage. He climbed for altitude scanning the skies. It seemed to be over as fast as it began. Wassigny was a few miles northwest and Ganz made his way there still scanning the skies. As he approached the field he could see a Triplane behind one of his flight as it tried to land. He dove immediately and as he was approaching from above and behind he was hit. It felt like someone hit him in the head with a hammer. He jerked the Albatros skyward as blood ran into his eyes. He was stunned and disoriented. He knew he had to get down but his senses and reflexes were slow in coming. He came down fast. Too fast. His Albatros hit the ground and bounced. Ganz switched off and the machine settle to the ground running off the end of the field and wheeling around coming to a stop.

Some ground crew raced to the machine and pulled the unconscious flier from the cockpit. “Looks like he’s done for” one said. As the laid him on the ground another felt for a pulse. “Get the ambulance here! He’s still alive!”

Once Wulfe was safely on the ground, he took stock of the situation. 4 machines destroyed but miraculously no fatalities. “What about Ganz?” He asked. A mechanic replied, “he’s alive Sir, but it didn’t look good. He’s on his way to the station now.”

Note. WOFF continues to surprise me. This ambush was a total surprise. 3 HA’s in the flight didn’t even see them coming. Once out of the mission, I was literally shaking like a leaf!

#4512245 - 03/22/20 08:22 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Sorry Chaps, no words at the moment ...

[Linked Image]

Dear Kitty,

It is with great sadness that I am writing to you about the death of your brave and loyal fiancé. My dear and beloved friend. Sebastian von Toombs. Our Kommandant will write an offical letter too, but our deep friendship and a profound sense guilt compels me to write immediately as I was, for the first time, Sebastian's wingman today and he died saving me.

[Linked Image]

On our climb over Lille we were ambushed by a large number of Sopwith Strutters. Kitty, they are two seaters but act like fighters with guns in front and a gunner behind. We each entered individual dogfights, all at a disadvantage. I had two Strutters attacking me from behind, I was badly damaged and started to smoke from my engine. Seb, seeing my difficulty, broke off his own attack to defend me. He managed to fire hits into both planes sending one down in flames, as he started his pursuit of the second, a third Strutter set on Sebastian. We believe from what we saw he was killed instantly by enemy machine gun fire. We watched in horror as his otherwise undamaged plane decended to Earth. I was forced to land close by and I ran to his plane to find him peacefully asleep in God's embrace.

If it is any comfort to you, we know that he loved you most deeply and treasured every letter you wrote. It is a comfort to myself and all the gentlemen of Jasta 18, that he died in the air, defending his friends and serving his wonderful country. He was bold, compassionate, loyal and faithful. He loved his God, his saviour and his friends. Our lives here have been irrevocably touched by Sebastian, most of us owe our life to him at one time or another.

I am brokenheartly your servant

Paul Strähle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The End ...

#4512251 - 03/22/20 08:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Oh, no! I was afraid that something like this was going to happen eventually, but so soon?!! At least it looks like he went quickly. Probably didn't know what hit him.

Wonderful and touching concluding chapter to the end of von Toombs's saga. I look forward to hearing from your new pilot, although it will be hard to replace Toombs.

Very lovely black and white "photo," too, BTW.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4512271 - 03/22/20 09:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Oh crap! Seb, sorry to see von Toombs go. Poor Kitty! I never thought he would buy the farm fighting Strutters. They seem to be more dangerous than the Tripes. RIP Seb von Toombs.
By Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!

And MFair, what the heck do you think you’re doing? You want to lose Ganz too? Take care of your pilots people! It’s dangerous out there. Hope Gunther recovers soon.

Do what Wulfe had done - fly your bird through sleet, away from the front, where no enemy can find you.

#4512275 - 03/22/20 09:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Seb, I’m totally gutted! That was unexpected even though it can happen to any of us at anytime. Don’t wait to long to get back into the fray.

Fullofit, what was I doing? Well I was minding my own business near my own airfield when your damned Triplanes decided to spoil my day! Actually, I firmly believe I was hit by friendly ground fire. The only Triplane around was the one in front of me.

#4512335 - 03/23/20 10:28 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Oh Seb, that's awful! Young von Toombs will be dearly missed. Another voice to sing in the Choir Invisible.

MFair, as you've said, it can happen to any of our brave fliers at anytime. I hope Gunther manages a quick and full recovery and can live to see the end of this madness.

Fullofit, you should know about those Tripes being dangerous, Toby's is hands down the most dangerous of the lot. Still, discretion is the better part of valour, even for him.

We meet ’neath the sounding rafter,
And the walls around are bare,
They echo our peals of laughter,
It seems that the dead are there.

So stand to your glasses, steady,
This world is a world of lies.
Here's a toast to the dead already,
Hurrah for the next man who dies!

#4512364 - 03/23/20 01:19 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

23 March 1917
Flanders, France

Captain Swanson lifting up from Vert Galand shortly after 8:00, off to attack the Hun balloon across from Vimy.
[Linked Image]

Passing a flight of Strutters of 70 Squadron returning to camp from their early morning outing, Swany gives his old mates a wave.
[Linked Image]

After half an hour of uneventful flying in the crisp, beautiful skies the Captain spots their target through the clouds below.
[Linked Image]

He dives on the Hun sausage from the east and lets loose a full volley of Le Prieur rockets.
[Linked Image]

Two of the unreliable projectiles actually find their mark as Captain Swanson comes around to give a dose of pepper to finish things off.
[Linked Image]

Job done, tally one more Bosch gas bag for the RFC.
[Linked Image]

Time to scarpper as a much-upset Archie throws all sorts of hate at the lads of B Flight.
[Linked Image]

Passing over Arras Swany spies puffs of friendly AA off to the south and goes to investigate, minutes later finding a lone Hun two-seater plodding along.
[Linked Image]

He stalks his quarry methodically, and upon reaching the lines west of Riencourt is close enough to make his attack.
[Linked Image]

After less than thirty rounds fired Captain Swanson watches with some surprise as the Hun suddenly turns over and spirals down. He must have killed the pilot instantly.
[Linked Image]

Home again, home again, jiggity jig. Swany parks his mount and waits in front of the hangar for his flight's straggler, Sergeant Boumphrey, aka "The Rotter".
[Linked Image]

#4512375 - 03/23/20 03:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Wulfe, I was so shocked over the loss of von Toombs, and then the wounding of Ganz, that I overlooked entirely your man's latest episode. Evan appears to be having a bit of a rough time adjusting to life as a combat pilot. It can be hard to be the new fellow amid the old hands, especially in such a dangerous game. Fingers crossed he can get himself sorted out soon and become an old hand as well, before he becomes a dead one. Maybe a good luck charm would help, a lot of the lads do carry them.

Page 148 of 366 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM