Hop To
#4512013 - 03/21/20 01:58 PM Fun with college kids  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Just had a different kinda "senior" moment in college.

I am only taking online classes right now and I am just starting an 8 wk mini-semester in a class, we had to to a little introduction post about ourselves.

Near the end of mine I said "Me? I am an older guy who went back to college after beating Cancer at age 65. It certainly has been a challenge but I am hanging on to that 3.0+ GPA. All online classes as I live in..."

old_simmer

Gotta a couple nice replies and this AM I saw this one:
Good for you, I'm a digital native , so don't hesitate to say hello and get some pointers.

I actually hadn't heard of a "digital native" before, so I had to follow the link he left to see. LOL

Here's my reply:
Thanks so much for your offer Tony. I bought one of the first 1,000 or so Apple II's around 1980 and haven't looked back since. I built my first Windows box in the mid nineties (am typing this on #7, with #8 coming this summer or fall), have never run an anti-virus and only had one once (dumb mistake). If you could check you'd see my current IP address is somewhere in Romania (although I am physically in Inverness, FL). I own an iPhone and iPad and know how to use them. I must admit this is the first I have heard of a "digital native". Catchy name.

I guess that makes me a digital alien.

Best of luck in this course sir.

Kids...

edit: Oh, the class is an advanced Excel spreadsheet class. Challenging for sure, but I actually enjoy it...sick I know.

I bet I kick his digital native butt!

Last edited by Nixer; 03/21/20 02:04 PM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4512027 - 03/21/20 02:44 PM Re: Fun with college kids [Re: Nixer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
thumbsup

Although I'm not savvy with the newest tech (lack of interest), when I do *need* to learn how to do something (usually on my wife's iPhone or parent's iPads), it's usually stupid easy (as it should be with newer tech, although I dislike the trend of taking control from the user).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4512028 - 03/21/20 02:51 PM Re: Fun with college kids [Re: MarkG]  
MadMike Offline
MadMike  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkG
thumbsup

Although I'm not savvy with the newest tech (lack of interest), when I do *need* to learn how to do something (usually on my wife's iPhone or parent's iPads), it's usually stupid easy (as it should be with newer tech, although I dislike the trend of taking control from the user).

I absolutely agree with you. it is crazy. This really takes the child from the child. I remember how many problems I had in college at first, the new environment, the hostel, the rubble in my studies, often helped out services like https://edubirdie.com/essay-maker in order to somehow stabilize the situation. Even though this child is very full-bodied, this does not negate the fact that he has not yet learned how to deal with life problems and does not have critical thinking. That would be a lot of stress for him.

Last edited by MadMike; 03/28/20 09:09 AM.
#4512051 - 03/21/20 04:49 PM Re: Fun with college kids [Re: Nixer]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
LOL Nixer, love the reply. You hit the right tone, not being condescending, but also maybe giving the guy some ideas that not only the young generation has grown up with IT.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.