Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 145 of 366 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 365 366
#4510423 - 03/11/20 11:03 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Oh Harry, that was awful to watch! Poor Lazlo. He just hung there in that gunner’s line of fire. The red giant shall be sorely missed.

Raine, I was afraid James was going to buy the farm as well as the vineyard there for a moment. From the sounds of it he has a concussion as well as a grazed leg to contend with. Hope his recovery is swift, I’ve a bad feeling the R.F.C. is going to need every pilot it has in the near future.

Carrick, from those photos it appears it’s hard to find a good parking spot over in Nigel’s new AO. To your painful experience with the Army dentists, I had one of my own with the Air Force dentists. You wouldn’t think they could screw up a simple filling, but they did. Gave me immediate pain that lasted for weeks, and years later a crown because of their shoddy work.

Seb, despite the devastating losses to his jasta young von Toombs looks to be back to his deadly, terrifying ways. Congratulations on his well-deserved promotion.

MFair, Ganz may well be plagued by those nightmares for a long time. War takes its toll on the mind as much as anything else. As long as he can keep his wits about him while in the air he should hopefully be fine.

Fullofit, I see Toby also continues to run up the tally despite the presence of those nasty Albs. Well done. As for Swany getting his backside across the Channel, he’d love to, but you know how it is in the military – hurry up and wait.

#4510433 - 03/11/20 11:59 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Harry, I’m really gutted for you, I was sure that you and your gentlemen had that DH4 in the bag! I will miss Lazlo, what will happen to Nurse Higglestein?

[Linked Image]

I am loving being a part of this campaign and thread, the pictures, the stories and the camaraderie. A super chapter from Raine I’m glad you survived, it’s going to be a tough couple of months for us all but particularly the RFC!

MFair I loved seeing Gunther back at at the airfield. Cut and burnt hands couldn’t stop him, I hope the nightmares don’t stop him either my friend!

Fullofit more incredibly exceptional shooting! I loved the video!

Carrick58 superb research and pictures.

Just for the record had a great dentist in the RAF (back in the day) he reset my jaw after a nasty break!

#4510440 - 03/11/20 01:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: SebToombs]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
[Linked Image]

Seb, here is the same scene 100 years later. My older son and I were in Bertangles in February 2018. The gateposts have been rebuilt with new brick.

Attached Files 20180213_103923.jpg
#4510443 - 03/11/20 01:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

That is amazing Raine, gave me chills just seeing the photo. I can only imagine how you must have felt actually standing there. Thanks for sharing.

#4510444 - 03/11/20 02:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

That is amazing Raine, gave me chills just seeing the photo. I can only imagine how you must have felt actually standing there. Thanks for sharing.

Make that 2!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4510445 - 03/11/20 02:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Better make that 3

#4510454 - 03/11/20 03:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Amazing that you had the same picture so many years on, Raine. I hope your trip was wonderful!

Thank you all for the kind condolences. Lazlo was a fun character and yes it's hard to start again, but even with that, I'm too busy to devote the time to it right now. I'll get be back into it when things calm down a bit.

Cheers all!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4510460 - 03/11/20 04:34 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK

Originally Posted by Raine
[Linked Image]

Seb, here is the same scene 100 years later. My older son and I were in Bertangles in February 2018. The gateposts have been rebuilt with new brick.

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Wow! Incredible, thank you for sharing, I’ve chills too! Make that 4!

Thanks for the great adventures Harry, I wanted to honour Lazlo, he brought joy and laughter reading his adventures... That Graveside, then and now reminds me of the great sacrifice all those, on both sides made. I know, of the historic aces in the campaign I’m in right now, only Paul Strahle (I think) makes it out alive. Walter is going die next year, I find it all very sobering! Also I can’t realistically see Seb making his 22nd birthday in September, which is a shame as I’m very attached to him!

Per ardua ad astra

#4510461 - 03/11/20 04:42 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Gents, sorry for going AWOL, but real life simply became too busy to allow me to fly the DID campaign. And now the pandemic is making things even busier for me. At least to some extent, I can now fully sympathize with my predecessors in the medical field who had to endure the tragedy of the Spanish flu. It's a strange feeling.

But I'll try to keep up with your reports - they always make for excellent reading. Stay safe, everybody!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4510469 - 03/11/20 05:10 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Hasse, we have missed you. I found myself just yesterday wondering how you are getting on with all the work Covid 19 must require. Are there many confirmed cases in Finland? This thing is going to disrupt our lives for some time to come, I'm afraid. On the positive side, perhaps we'll all be locked in our houses playing WOFF. There could be quite pleasant until the money runs out. Best wishes, and hurry back when you are able!

#4510484 - 03/11/20 06:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

We're still in the early days of the pandemic here in Finland, but the number of cases has started to increase rapidly today. For medical folks, there's a lot going on behind the scenes, making preparations for the worst case scenario, which, I'm afraid, is looking more probable with each passing day. Of course all of this comes in addition to our regular work, which in itself is taxing enough. But I'm not complaining: doctors and nurses have it much, much worse in several countries right now.

I do miss this DID campaign!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4510512 - 03/11/20 09:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair, Ganz is back in the saddle, despite his nightmares. I suppose it’s another reason to fight those Tommies - they all look like the devil.

Oh Harry, say it ain’t so! Sorry to learn of Lazlo’s demise. What a kick to red-haired gonads. At least he went like a proper warrior, not due to some stupid accident, like catching a telephone wire, or his wingman crashing into him. I guess Seb can now kill off nurse Higginstein in that train bombing. We wouldn’t want her to suffer Lazlo’s death. It would be this Shakespearean thing. What do you call it? It ends with ...ragedy.
Take a break, enjoy the real world, then come back and let us all know that WoFF world is much better.

Raine, indeed, that was a close call. Those Flak boys are getting good. No more lobbing those shells blindly. And now, look at Collins, another lame leg and a concussion to boot. Not a good day for the good Captain. Still, a landing you can be carried away from can’t be all that bad. Hope you get them back.

Carrick, if he wasn’t damaged and wounded, the whole thing would play out differently - I would still be chasing his tail.

Lou, I would have thought Swany would be raring and ready to go, not patiently waiting for who knows what. Hasn’t he waited long enough while interred? Fingers crossed the crossing is about to happen soon.

Seb, wait till you see my next video. You won’t be impressed with my aim at all. I have a feeling half of Toby’s belt’s been loaded with blanks as a practical joke. If I find that lout who did it ...
BTW, what are we making? Make it 5?

Hasse, good to hear from you. You be careful out there and good luck.
Hope none of us catches this thing. Although Raine’s idea of self quarantine sounds appealing. We would have enough free time to even start a COVID-19 Campaign.

11 March, 1917 09:45
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
75 confirmed kills

Only the final Albatros could be confirmed as his own kill. The other two two-seaters probably were claimed by the Flak boys from Halluin.
As always, the command to scramble came too late. The enemy was already high above the aerodrome and dropping bombs when Toby and his flight mates were taking off. He only caught up with them over the No-Man’s Land at about 11,000 feet. Mulberry positioned his plane behind and below the enemy and opened fire while pulling gently up. The rear gunner was alert and returned fire immediately. A few rounds hit the wings, but nothing serious. Toby continued to fire his gun again and again. The DFW went into a shallow spiral trailing light smoke. Mulberry followed firing and missing the big plane. This continued until they’ve descended to around 1,000 feet. Mulberry stopped firing after realizing the German bomber is not going to recover. It fell at the edge of the mud and neatly crashed into one of the shell holes. Toby gathered his flight and turned back home.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4510513 - 03/11/20 09:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Raine, whoa Hoss, that was a bit too close fore comfort! So glad Collins is still with us

Offstv Gunther Ganz
Jasta 6
March11, 1917

We were off again for a patrol over the lines. As the 10 Albatri of Jasta 6 were ready to take off Ganz felt more than heard the explosion. Above he could see what looked like RE’s with a flight of Triplanes. He looked left and Wulf was starting to take off. Ganz shoved the throttle and bounced down the runway. Leaving the ground he wanted to gain as much height as possible before those damned Tripe’s pounced! It did not take long before Ganz and one of the Tripes were in a circle. They made about 4 circles, Ganz straining with all his might to stay with the enemy when he saw Holler and one more dive on his antagonist. When the Tripe tried to evade Ganz was on his tail in a second. He fired quick controlled bursts and saw the machine wobble. He was closing fast and cut the throttle. At a range of no more than 10 meters he let out a long burst and the Triplane disintegrated in the air and fell in pieces near the field. It was over. The sky was empty. Ganz landed. “I finally got one of the bastards”he thought.

Before mess that night, Wulf called Ganz to his office. “Bad news Herr Ganz, it seems the artillery boys claimed the Tripe and their CO is adamant that it’s theirs.”
“What!” Ganz was livid! “Well I’m glad they are such damned good shots! I was right on the sob’s tail!
Wulf interrupted quickly, “that’s enough Herr Ganz!”
Ganz gained his composure as straitened up with a salute. “Apologies Sir!” Wulf looked at the young flier and replied, “Your dismissed.” As Ganz left the room Wulf smiled. He had seen the quiet man’s temper once before. That was good.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4510545 - 03/12/20 02:00 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
2 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

March 12, 1917.

Posted to a flight of 3 for local area. We were told to go up and survey the local area and stay out of trouble. After take off # 3 a/c turned back , Engine trouble ? , that left 2 of us. My flight leader Lt Jasper dove to attack something below. I followed and saw him firing at a Snooper a/c on our side of the lines . His attack was too good and got too close the rear gun nailed him as he nailed the 2 seat both went down by Long graves. Poor Jasper he Flamed.

Attached Files CFS3 2020-03-11 18-35-33-49.jpgCFS3 2020-03-11 18-35-53-30.jpgCFS3 2020-03-11 18-38-45-88.jpgCFS3 2020-03-11 18-41-47-39.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 03/12/20 02:02 AM.
#4510586 - 03/12/20 12:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, at least he did not die in vain.

#4510587 - 03/12/20 12:36 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Seemed to work ok in the end, Fullofit!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4510617 - 03/12/20 03:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

MFair: thats true, now Philby doesn't have to pay back the 20 shillings that he borrowed.

Last edited by carrick58; 03/12/20 03:11 PM.
#4510672 - 03/12/20 08:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Hasse, Really great to meet you! You are in my thoughts as you battle with the COVID-19 outbreak in Finland.

Carrick, good news about the 20 Shillings but did he borrow your boots like the last flamer?

Mfair, Great job with the Tripe they are downable! Blooming artillary though ... I'm liking seeing Angry Gunther flex his muscles!

Fullofit, Blimey mate, that DFW took some killing, I don't think it was your aim ... More like the damage wasnt serious, until it was!

Offizierstellvertreter Sebastian von Toombs GMVK, EK1, EK2
Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 18
Halluin/Rekkem, Flanders
19 victories
1 Claim out standing
11th March 1917

[Linked Image]

I regret to inform you that Seb Toombs has been captured. I'm actually away from tomorrow for a few days with my wife so it works out OK and I'll play catch up when I get back!

I leave you with a couple of Screen shots and a video, I managed to shoot down a Nieuport 16 before I was hit by flak and forced to land.
[Linked Image]
We encountered BE2s, DH2s and Nieuport 16s flying in formation.

[Linked Image]
I picked out a Nieuport 16 and gave chase

[Linked Image]
After shooting down the Nieuport, I followed Walter who was taking on two Nieuports over Armentieres. Close to Armentieres I was hit by flak out of nowhere, and tried to make it home ...

I made for home, but was forced down in behind enemy lines and the natives weren't friendly!
[Linked Image]
I will escape ...

See you all next week!

#4510681 - 03/12/20 10:49 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Rick_Rawlings]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Seemed to work ok in the end, Fullofit!

Rick, it worked but at what cost? I’m pretty sure I’ve used up my daily allowance.

MFair, an angry Hun is a dangerous Hun. Those Tripes better watch out. Ganz is out for blood and one of those days he’ll get one confirmed. Fingers crossed!

Carrick, better Jasper than you. Some people will never learn to let the enemy go when he’s on fire.

Seb, that DFW had an exceptional pilot to keep me occupied like that. He might have made it was it not for that shell hole.
And that is a mean bunch of natives. Wait a minute! Natives? Where the heck were you flying?
Enjoy your time off. We’ll be here ...

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4510693 - 03/13/20 12:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders
2 unconfirmed
Bell Asylum, Flanders

March 13, 1917.

I spent the day sorting out the equipment and helped getting the sqn together. We should be fully operational by tomorrow if the ammo and Oil containers come up. In the mess, we discussed poor Lt Jasper and decided that his attack angle was wrong. After our second round of Rum and Snap Dragons, the angle should be a High side pass or attack from underneath using each a/c in succession so everyone gets a chance to knock it down. No more attacking up the Whazoo almost Point Blank.

Page 145 of 366 1 2 143 144 145 146 147 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM