Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4507899 - 02/19/20 03:55 PM EAW availability / where to get?  
Flapsfull Offline
Flapsfull  Offline

Hi everyone,

am rather new to the EAW thing.I did some reading of articles here on SimHQ, but whats not clear to me is the legal status of EAW.
Do I have to buy it as used CD somewhere or has it been released for free?
I read some an about negotiations with the original programmers regarding the rights to the source code but didn‘t understand what exactly was the outcome of that.

So my question , also in regard to the sticky links on top of the forums: Can I download and use this legally or is it some kind of gray zone like abandonware?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards,

Flapsfull

Last edited by Flapsfull; 02/19/20 03:56 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4507903 - 02/19/20 04:34 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Flapsfull, I don't think you can buy this game new anymore. There are used versions available on Amazon and eBay, but you don't need the disc to play the game now, nor do I think it is in anyway a legal requirement. Commercially, EAW is dead as a dodo, but is kept going here by a small group of enthusiasts. There is a complete version of the game, EAW 1.60, available on this forum for download. You can install it and just play away, no need for the compact disc. This version is the result of years of work by the people who were given the source code and involves countless improvements upon the original game. I'd highly recommend it.

#4507907 - 02/19/20 05:19 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: SkyHigh]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Originally Posted by SkyHigh
Flapsfull, I don't think you can buy this game new anymore. There are used versions available on Amazon and eBay, but you don't need the disc to play the game now, nor do I think it is in anyway a legal requirement. Commercially, EAW is dead as a dodo, but is kept going here by a small group of enthusiasts. There is a complete version of the game, EAW 1.60, available on this forum for download. You can install it and just play away, no need for the compact disc. This version is the result of years of work by the people who were given the source code and involves countless improvements upon the original game. I'd highly recommend it.

On behalf of all the other members of the code-group who contributed thanks SkyHigh wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4507942 - 02/20/20 12:10 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
thumbsup

#4507989 - 02/20/20 02:37 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Flapsfull Offline
Flapsfull  Offline

Skyhigh,

thank you very much for your quick reply and the information on the state of EAW things. Appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Flapsfull

Last edited by Flapsfull; 02/20/20 02:37 PM.
#4508010 - 02/20/20 06:56 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
You're very welcome.

#4508162 - 02/23/20 07:45 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

On behalf of all the other members of the code-group who contributed

Speak for yourself. Since you have chosen to publicly violate copyright law, I regret any contribution I gave to the code group..

EAW is dead as a dodo, but is kept going here by a small group of enthusiasts. There is a complete version of the game, EAW 1.60, available on this forum for download.

If you are offering the entire game for download, then I have lost all respect for you. Perhaps HE was correct after all.

Edit: Signature removed, profile icon edited.

#4508169 - 02/23/20 10:33 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Facts:
The 1.2 installation is available as a few second hand versions from Amazon, and from a few pirate sites elsewhere, so getting a legal copy is just about impossible.
I would happily release a version which requires the 1.2 installation, but how do we cater for people who do not have one?
It is not clear at all who has the copyright, the last I heard was that Thommo.inc had the rights to re-release versions of Atari games re-built for more modern computers. They found it impossible to build a new version of EAW, and we are now well aware that Atari had lost the source code for EAW.
Their releases are from Retroism, and you will find a few old favourites in this list, but no EAW:

Retroism Simulation Games

You can also get a copy from these "abandonware" sites, but I am sure that the copyright owners would not get a penny, and perhaps their legality is questionable:

[Linked Image]

My full download achieves the same result as a download from abandonware, the creation of a CD from the ISO, the installation of EAW 1.2 and a patch to 160. It also makes it much simpler for the user.

wink Jel

Last edited by MrJelly; 02/23/20 01:16 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4508175 - 02/23/20 01:42 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I downloaded the 1.2 ISO file from this site:

[Linked Image]

Just out of interest this is the UAW160 2020 folder you get with my UAW160 download:
[Linked Image]
The items highlighted are the only ones whose names are common with a EAW 1.2 installation.

This is the 1.26 installation and you can see the differences:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MrJelly; 02/23/20 04:57 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4508184 - 02/23/20 03:39 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
On behalf of all the other members of the code-group who contributed

Speak for yourself. Since you have chosen to publicly violate copyright law, I regret any contribution I gave to the code group..

EAW is dead as a dodo, but is kept going here by a small group of enthusiasts. There is a complete version of the game, EAW 1.60, available on this forum for download.

If you are offering the entire game for download, then I have lost all respect for you. Perhaps HE was correct after all.

Edit: Signature removed, profile icon edited.

It is very doubtful, either legally or morally, if one can violate a copyright of an article that is no longer on the market. It's ok for someone like me who bought the game 20 years ago when it was freely available. Is someone who has now become interested in the game to be precluded from playing it simply because it just can't be bought? If someone has the copyright and is not attempting to sell it, I think it not unreasonable to conclude that copyright value has deflated to zero.

Property rights are not absolute. One's rights concerning one's property are accompanied by certain duties. For example, at least in Irish and UK law it has always been the case that a landowner who made no attempt to either remove or extract rent from a squatter occupying his land would, after a certain number of years, relinquish the rights to it and would leave the squatter free to claim it. It seems to me, that if nobody is attempting to protect their copyright or to extract rent from it, it is legally quite possible that this copyright has become void after so many years.

In the music world, illicit copies of unavailable music is deemed to be 'bootlegged', as compared to the illicit selling of copies of available music, which is regarded as piracy. The latter is considered a far greater crime than bootlegging. Dead games hardly fall into the bootlegging category, because while unreleased music has a commercial potential, forgotten and out-of-date games seem to lack any commercial potential whatsoever.

Last edited by SkyHigh; 02/23/20 05:20 PM.
#4509556 - 03/05/20 06:49 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Jelly,
I have answered your PM. I do not receive notification of PMs and I use the internet less and less. You have done more then I assumed to comply with copywrite law. I apologize for my ill feelings.

SkyHigh,
You are correct, and those are the reasons I quit supporting PE mods. It is not worth my efforts to improve something that squatters can say "you can not stop me". I have had my mod work stolen more then once. I am very jaded about this subject. I now spend my time hiding my mods and defending my IP.

I wish you both good, but please remember that people that make mods also need to eat and need a reason to continue to mod.
Brit44

#4509558 - 03/05/20 08:45 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Brit44, thank you very much for that clarification. You questioned me only because your standards are so very high and I had to make a serious examination of where I stood because of that.

As someone who couldn't mod to save his life, it must be frustrating to see one's work appropriated without so much as a request or an acknowledgement. There might be no monetary issue, but credit is important, even to historical work.

I have never found much glory-hunting among the modding community of EAW, but then I'm only a very bit player with little grasp of nuance. Most seem very willing to acknowledge the work of others and genuine efforts seem to be made to grant credit for modding done often many years ago and by people who might very well be dead by now, for all we know.

Thanks again, and also for your great efforts for Panzer Elite. I'm not really a tank fan, but I play it every now and again. Thanks to both yourself and Jel for resolving this in such a discrete and comprehensive manner.

Mick.

#4510416 - 03/11/20 10:04 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point

#4510418 - 03/11/20 10:34 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

There is nothing available from Microprose that relates to EAW at this juncture frown

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4524269 - 06/07/20 06:12 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Flapsfull
Hi everyone,

am rather new to the EAW thing.I did some reading of articles here on SimHQ, but whats not clear to me is the legal status of EAW.
Do I have to buy it as used CD somewhere or has it been released for free?
I read some an about negotiations with the original programmers regarding the rights to the source code but didn‘t understand what exactly was the outcome of that.

So my question , also in regard to the sticky links on top of the forums: Can I download and use this legally or is it some kind of gray zone like abandonware?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Kind regards,

Flapsfull

Some months ago, I searched the interweb for OEM versions of EAW. I wound up buying a 1.2 version, along with the Handbook, and keyboard guide. In short, everything except the original box. The price was trivial/not expensive at all, even with int'l shipping. I posted about it at the time. I already had a "first/early" version, bought very long ago.

I don't know about the legalities of downloading EAW or other games, for purely personal use. I suspect the rules might be different concerning commercial use. No Lawyer.

#4524772 - 06/10/20 05:02 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Mick,
thank you for the kind words. I had written a long verbose reply, but a drunken keystroke deleated it. My web pages will be purged at the end of this year. The human animal is only worth "Social distancing"..

Moggy, Jelly, Peter, Ralf and All,
Thank you for all you have shown me. Words are meaningless. You have my respect.

SimHQ moderators and admin,
Thank you for tolerating me, and thank you to the moderators that took the time to PM me. You showed me more about social interaction then years of psychotherapy.

Wish all of you good and beg my indulgence when I choose to post.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4524773 - 06/10/20 05:08 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

I forgot to mention Ray.
I owe you the most because of your honesty.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4524778 - 06/10/20 05:54 AM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Flapsfull]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Thanks Allen- take care wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4526672 - 06/21/20 10:03 PM Re: EAW availability / where to get? [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Originally Posted by Brit44 'Aldo'
Mick,
thank you for the kind words. I had written a long verbose reply, but a drunken keystroke deleated it. My web pages will be purged at the end of this year. The human animal is only worth "Social distancing"..

Moggy, Jelly, Peter, Ralf and All,
Thank you for all you have shown me. Words are meaningless. You have my respect.

SimHQ moderators and admin,
Thank you for tolerating me, and thank you to the moderators that took the time to PM me. You showed me more about social interaction then years of psychotherapy.

Wish all of you good and beg my indulgence when I choose to post.

Well, I hope you continue to post here. Understand that it might not be convenient for you. Your call.

OTOH, some "Forum Memory" is always a good thing. Such "Memory", from longstanding posters, keeps all of us in line, and provides very useful "correction" when one or another of us goes astray.

All best wishes!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.