Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4508535 - 02/26/20 12:51 PM I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

I am wondering, in light of the ongoing issues with failed Log-Ins, the AV warnings some users have reported with various AVs (not just Kaspersky) with the recent beta, and some more issues*, whether security at ED has been compromised, which would put all sorts of user account data at risk, I would think.

Approx 8 hours ago, I made these two posts / threads in their Steam forum:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/2/1745646187886142705/?tscn=1582689912

https://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/1745646187886295417/?tscn=1582691769

*If you will look, you'll find that both the Steam as well as their own forum is full with threads / posts about various issues, mainly that users cannot log in anymore or start the game after having bought the Helo Bundle, another user on the Steam forum reported the same issue after having bought the MiG-19 recently. More concerning are the reports on the error message

" Someone logged into your account on a different machine "

as per this

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=263526&page=3

and this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=264702

These issues all seem to relate to account / user data, which triggered my inquiry on their Steam forum.

Since no one from their side could be bothered to respond, even though I gave them ample time to adress my concerns - including for the coordination of a response, should the issue be sensitive (4 hours, now it's the 8th hour) - I figured maybe you'd like to know about it, too, and you may be interested in taking measures for the security of your data you entrusted them with (emails, passwords, making sure you have different passwords with them than with your other online dealings, credit card etc), however I'm not sure how effective that would be, if security on their side has indeed been compromised and the compromise is ongoing. The fact that they haven't responded to my questions at all is certainly not reassuring.

Last edited by heartc; 02/26/20 12:54 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4508584 - 02/26/20 10:33 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: heartc]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I get around issues like this by not launching DCS anymore and going nowhere near their censored message boards.

I appreciate, that probably doesn't help you I'm afraid. You do have to appreciate that this is ED.....and they havent got a clue what they're doing.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4508637 - 02/27/20 01:45 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: Paradaz]  
heartc Offline
heartc  Offline

Oh, I know. I wasn't looking for help either, but wanted to get the word out after they were stonewalling on it. They've cut a bit back on the censorship on their boards since a while, btw, but they did so because they realized their customer base was starting to evade to other forums and when they ban everyone on their own forum, they start losing the ability to control the message. So they relaxed somewhat on the censorship, because it started working against them. But the thing is, they don't really need it. People these days are so easily fooled and stupid that it is amazing. I don't get it. Why would you believe a single word from someone that has lied to you in the past, or failed to live up to his promises, over and over and over again? They are pulling the darndest things at ED, and when people get angry or dumbfounded, all they need to do is put out some of the cheapest and low-tier PR talk, and all of the sudden, for these same people, the world is shiny and rosy again. Then rinse and repeat. It's crazy. It's like there isn't even anybody home up there in the head with these folks. "Hello? Anybody home?" Knock knock knock.

And that's not even all of it. These same people will also attack you when you remind them of the previous conduct of this company - previous, as in just a few weeks or months ago - or if you take the company to task on their promises. Then you will not just get the PR guy with his PR babble in return, but also made up and even nonsensical excuses by a bunch of half-wits where you're left to wonder if you what you're dealing with are really people that are supposed to be sane, or just a bunch of incognito PR shills. But doesn't really make a difference in the end, because the former just means that these people are even dumb enough to work as PR guys without getting paid for it. I mean, I wasn't that stupid with 12 or 14 anymore. Folks have really gotten dumbed down in the last few decades, you gotta hand it to them. Alternative explanation to simple stupidity is of course social engineering combined with Stockholm Syndrome. Destroy the family and natural habitat of people, atomize them, and as a result, they will look for alternative social groups to flock to - that being corporations and their "communities", i.e. product- and brand-bound forums. And as a result, those people will go on defending them as they would have had their tribe, or actual community, in the past.

Oh well. At least they can't say they haven't been warned. But how do you warn the insane, and against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.

With that being said, here is another thing: When ED keeps whining (which is of course part of their PR spiel, too, but let's just take it for granted now for the sake of argument) that it's so difficult to do those high realism, in-depth flightsims, I don't get it either. I mean, I don't mind very high realism sims and button pushers, but when you whine about it and are incapable or unwilling to pull it of in a sensible and working manner - then why has no one figured out by now that he would make BANK if he just basically re-DID (sic) EF2000 to current tech standards and with maybe a bit more realism? That could EASILY be done, right?? Or another deal: Strike Fighters. Do something along the lines of Strike Fighters again, while ironing out the weaknesses that sim had, which was mainly two things, in my book: 1. The dynamic campaign was a bit weak, in feedback to the player, mission planning, and it suffered from repetitiveness (which in part resulted from the previous two points), and 2. just add a bit more realism here, too. What SF lacked there mostly was CCRP, level, toss and loft bombing modes for the planes that had it iRL, and such a simple thing as a seamlessly depressible gunsight for proper manual bombing. You would make bank. Or do Tornado again, to current tech standards. The possibilities are endless. Yet they stick to their button pushers where the last screw on the radio is modelled, then keep whining about it and throw bugged to hell alphas at the customers. It's all retarded.

OK guys, thanks for listening, and you have a nice day. SimHQ is one of the last bastions of sanity in this zoo, keep it up.

#4508660 - 02/27/20 06:32 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: heartc]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Update ran fine, but upon wanting to start DCS, Malwarebytes Premium popped up, quarantined immediately and prompted a restart.

It's flagged as "Ransomware" however rather than "Trojan" here.

This post from the ED forums struck me as funny. In a way...isn't DCS pretty close to legal "Ransomware"? I mean...you give them money for a product and maybe in a couple years they give you the fully functional product while holding your money hostage...lol.

Just thinking out loud wink

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4508762 - 02/28/20 01:18 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: heartc]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
obviously Chris Elles and Pete (Pman) from the defunct VEAO attempting to steal user login details to relive past pipe dreams of their failed products no doubt.

no other way to explain it unless proven otherwise

#4508777 - 02/28/20 02:01 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: Winfield]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Winfield
obviously Chris Elles and Pete (Pman) from the defunct VEAO attempting to steal user login details to relive past pipe dreams of their failed products no doubt.

yep

They'll be up to something.....no way on Earth those scam artists will be making a legitimate wage.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4508971 - 03/01/20 02:13 AM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: Paradaz]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Paradaz
Originally Posted by Winfield

yep

They'll be up to something.....no way on Earth those scam artists will be making a legitimate wage.

My guess is they will be working on releasing crap for Microsoft Flight Simulator

#4510026 - 03/08/20 05:25 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: heartc]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Well they won't have to worry about me complaining about their product or actually their lack of producing a product period. I will not even consider buying anything from them if they did finish something. They are a bunch of peckerheads.

S!Blade<><

#4510211 - 03/09/20 08:43 PM Re: I have reason for concern that account / user data security at ED may have been compromised [Re: Blade_Meister]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Well they won't have to worry about me complaining about their product or actually their lack of producing a product period. I will not even consider buying anything from them if they did finish something. They are a bunch of peckerheads.

S!Blade<><

DITTO!

(It's been around 2 years ago since I haven't fired up DCS launcher)

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.