Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 143 of 366 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 365 366
#4509952 - 03/07/20 10:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Offstv Gunther Ganz
On leave near Berlin

Ganz looked at the half smoked cigarette and dropped it to the ground. “Well, so much for leave my friend.” Toombs was not listening and walked back to the wreckage. “There is no one left to help my friend “ Ganz called to Sebastian. Toombs kept walking until he found the beautiful nurse by the light of the still burning fires. Ganz smudged out the cigarette and walked over to his new friend who was kneeling beside her. Sebastian reached down and straightened her hair as much as possible.
Ganz picked up a perfectly good greatcoat off the ground that had escaped the carnage and knelt down beside the deceased nurse. He slowly covered her with the coat. Standing he put his hand on Sebastian’s shoulder and said “nothing left here my friend, we must try and get some help for the wounded and make our way to Berlin.” Toombs didn’t say anything and a horrible thought crossed through Ganz’s mind. “Please tell me you do not know this woman?” Sebastian slowly stood up and replied. “I wish I could tell you that old man. I really do.”

At that moment lanterns and lights came down the tracks and through the wood. It seems the explosion had drawn the attention of a local garrison and civilians alike. Ganz saw an officer and walked to him and saluted. The Hauptmann returned the salute and asked what had happened. After Ganz explained, the Hauptmann asked, “So, you don’t think it was French Saboteurs?” Ganz could not believe his ears. Sebastian had come to Ganz’s side by that time and blew smoke into the air. “Well, Hauptmann, it May have been! But unless you think French saboteurs are now flying RAF BE’s........then I highly doubt it!.......Sir! The Hauptmann glared at Sebastian.
Ganz spoke up. “A word Hauptmann. Please.” as he motioned him away from Sebastian. Once a little distance away Ganz spoke up. “Please excuse my friend Hauptmann. He means no disrespect. It has been a long night for us and I think he has lost a loved one in the bombing. He is from a very influential family with many friends in the military.” The Hauptmann was looking quizzically at Ganz as he continued, “I’m sure if you could secure us transportation to Berlin, he would put in a good word for you.” The Hauptmann looked toward Sebastian and back at Ganz. “I’m sure we can arrange something Herr.....? “Ganz. Offstv Gunther Ganz. Jasta 6. And you are Hauptmann?” The Captain straightened up and replied. “Hauptmann Leffers.”
“Thank you very much Hauptmann Leffers. I’m sure my friend will appreciate your help very much!” Ganz replied giving him a smart salute.

After the two fliers were seen to by the Captains orderly, they were soon on their way to Berlin.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4509959 - 03/07/20 10:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Gripping tale, old pard! Condolences to von Toombs. Well done story!

#4509960 - 03/07/20 10:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Excellent, exciting, heartbreaking - a fine weaving together of your respective pilot's stories MFair and Seb. And such bravery, quite deserving of something like the Kriegsehrenkreuz für heldenmütige Tat - that's a gong we've never seen in these campaigns before.

#4509963 - 03/07/20 10:56 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Excellent, exciting, heartbreaking - a fine weaving together of your respective pilot's stories MFair and Seb. And such bravery, quite deserving of something like the Kriegsehrenkreuz für heldenmütige Tat - that's a gong we've never seen in these campaigns before.

Brilliant Lou! Yes, I whole heartedly agree, Gunther Ganz deserves that medal (I just looked it up - how do you know all these things! Amazing!?). I was going to make a report to that effect. He had scant regard for his own safety and returned to the wreckage, while under fire four times! Not to mention saving the life of FW von Toombs!

Thank you gentlemen for all your kind words, we had great fun working together, developing and fleshing out a bit more of their respective characters! Sebastian, is looking forward to seeing Kitty and getting back into the air for the 9th! .... BE2s allowing!

Last edited by SebToombs; 03/07/20 11:30 PM.
#4509964 - 03/07/20 11:02 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Thank you Raine and Lou. The credit really goes to Seb. As you both know, I can follow a lead fairly well but I have to have a good partner to show me the way. This was fun!

Last edited by MFair; 03/07/20 11:03 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4509977 - 03/08/20 01:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
This damned war....

Excellent writing again. I wonder how Toombs will react to this tragedy?

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4509994 - 03/08/20 09:20 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
This damned war....

Excellent writing again. I wonder how Toombs will react to this tragedy?

Thanks BuckeyeBob! I think Von Toombs has a lot of growing up to do, and this experience may be the first step on that road. We’ll see if he lives long enough to become cynical and hardened. I hope so, I feel very attached to young Sebastian. It was really great working with MFair too, it made the whole piece come alive for me!

#4510014 - 03/08/20 03:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
MFair and Seb, great collaboration. Makes our little WoFF world connected. Thumbs up to both of yous! Now, the important question, who was the pretty nurse that perished? Don’t tell me it was nurse Higginstein, that would be too terrible, too much of a coincidence and too bad for Lazlo. Would he then transform into Red the Quirk Bane? He would paint his plane red all over to remind him of his sweetheart’s spilled blood. Terrible!
I hope the Gong Fairy was watching and will reward the two Fliegers with that KriegKreuz for HoldingMutti by Tit decoration.

8 March, 1917
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
74 confirmed kills

Toby’s grounded due to bad weather. Snow, sleet and brandy nearing the end of reserves.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4510053 - 03/08/20 11:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

What!? The brandy is running low? Worst war shortage ever.

Same weather at Netheravon as well, so no flying. Captain Swanson spent most of the day working with the AMs getting his new mount in order. After running up the Le Rhone on each of the three new arrivals, the lead fitter suggested Swany should claim B1702 as it had the strongest sounding engine. Before the lads assembled the new kite the Captain asked if they could tint some linen dope with a splash of the blue insignia paint they had on the shelf and go over the underside of the wings and fuselage to tone down the bright new tan color, his hope being that it would make him a little less visible to Archie. They were more than willing to oblige him when he offered to spot them all to a couple pint'as each at The Old Plough. They also assisted him with applying his personal livery and by late afternoon his new kite way parked in front of one of the small hangars with the wind helping to finish the paint drying process, (the snow and sleet having stopped). From the looks of things the weather tomorrow will allow for some flying. Fingers crossed.

[Linked Image]

#4510054 - 03/08/20 11:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, that looks like a fitting skin for Swany. It should strike fear in the hearts of the Huns. All except Seb that is. Let’s hope he does not taunt you a second time with Thor’s Hammer.

#4510057 - 03/08/20 11:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Thanks MFair. As for a duel between Seb and Swany, that could well be an epic dogfight. Another intersecting of storylines in the offing? Could be.

#4510068 - 03/09/20 02:47 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Wow, great looking a/c RAF_Louvert, just fine reading From all.

#4510071 - 03/09/20 03:22 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nigel Farnsworth Philby
Sgt, Rfc
1 Rfc Sqn
Flanders

2 unconfirmed

Everything is slowed down due to weather ,and clogged supply lines here in the rear with the gear. We had haft the the Sqn packed and applied for Road march orders with M.P.s only to be told wait. The Fuel Trucks left this morning and and broke down . What a way to run a War. The forward echelon at the new field are without a kitchen unit. For them , it means Bully Beef, Wine, tins of Crackers. and whatever they can find
Meanwhile, we get one hot meal a day while we await the final Road March. On the Plus side, we do have Tea, Potatoes, Cheese crumbs. and full Rum ration, and Biscuits with jam.

Last edited by carrick58; 03/09/20 03:30 AM.
#4510107 - 03/09/20 11:50 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Carrick, as long as you have a full rum ration, life is good Amigo.

#4510118 - 03/09/20 01:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

MFair, truer words never spoken.

Carrick, thanks for the thumbs up on Swany's new livery. And to Nigel and the weather, he's not alone, it seems to be nasty nearly everywhere at the moment. But as you've pointed out, at least the food and drink are good in the R.F.C.

9 March 1917
Netheravon, Wiltshire

Captain Swanson was able to take advantage of a lull in the aforementioned nasty weather this morning. The winds had not yet picked up for the day and precipitation was holding off as well, so Swany took his freshly tuned, trimmed, and painted Pup up for a few turns. It handled beautifully, beyond anything he could have imagined. He never felt more one with a machine in his life. As he tossed it about in the cold March skies it quickly revealed its tricks and secrets to the young ace, and he was giddy with the prospect of taking it into battle against the latest Hun machines. He found that you could pull it up into a gentle, climbing right turn and with just the slightest right rudder have it facing the other direction in the wink of an eye. Dive slightly to pick up speed and bring the nose up and you could loop repeatedly with very little loss in altitude, and at the top of the loop you could roll out smoothly, again reversing direction on your opponent. And, if you went into a quick, climbing left turn and snapped the rudder hard left, the Pup would go into the most wonderful little stall, which you could come right back out of by letting the nose fall as you centered the controls, then carry on in the direction you started. Swany felt this little trick could be quite useful on a closely pursuing enemy, turning the tables on the threat so fast the poor Hun wouldn't know what happened, (one minute his prey is in front of him, brief seconds later and its suddenly behind him shredding his tail feathers).

The Captain was up for nearly an hour, stunting around beneath the low-hanging gray clouds, having the time of his life. But his fun came to an end when the winds aloft began picking up, buffeting the shining little Pup all about. Ah well, time for some hot tea and a warm-up anyway.

[Linked Image]

#4510159 - 03/09/20 04:36 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Gosh what a lot to catch up on! A great double act with Ganz and Von Toombs, excellent stuff! Yes I do hope it wasn't Lazlo's belle that died, but I suspect she's ok.

Nothing but bad weather for Lazlo (and a shortness of flying time for his owner). Hoping to get up sometime this week. Stay safe everyone!

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4510160 - 03/09/20 04:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

... and nice paint job, Lou!

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4510170 - 03/09/20 05:40 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Lou, Smashing paint job! Odin’s sons shall fight, may the best man win! ...Though seeing how you handled the Pup above Netheravon I would put my money on Young Sebastian...

Carrick, glad the Rum’s flowing!

Harry, Sebastian is yet to put a name to the pretty nurse that haunts his sleep.
[Linked Image]
" ...Even the Kommandant had come a nasty cropper crashing our side of the lines"

Feldwebel Sebastian von Toombs GMVK, EK1, EK2
Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 18
Halluin/Rekkem, Flanders
17 victories
9th March 1917

I shook hands in farewell with my new friend as we parted in Berlin. I am truly honoured to serve alongside such brave and determined men like Gunther Ganz. The evening continued to haunt me as I continued my journey on to Kitty. My poor Kitty put up with me heroically and did her best to cheer me up but I was a hard nut to crack. She is so cheerful and kind, but when I looked at her all I could see was the pretty young nurse’s lifeless face. All I could smell was the smoke fumes and sweet acrid smell of burning flesh. All I could hear was the angry words of the British pilot, “That’s for the Lusitania you blasted Hun!”

I has lost my treasured Odyssey and my bag in the bombing raid on the train. A small loss compared to a far more significant loss, something much deeper, personal and vital. I had lost my peace. I had lost joy. A darkness had stolen into my heart unbidden, had set up home and was refusing to leave despite Kitty’s best efforts.

We parted at the station as I began my journey back to Flanders. We held hands and kissed but still my mind returned to that devastating scene, turning it over and over like a hound with a bone. The journey was an eternal 26 hours long, and at no point did I dare sleep, afraid of the images that would flash through my mindseye and on which I didn’t want to dwell. I hitched a ride back to Halluin on a transport headed to Menen. I was back in my hut by 21:30 The lights of the Mess lit the airfield, boys were drinking and playing in the smokey refuge, I didn’t have the heart to join them. I collapsed into bed falling into an exhausted, dreamless, oblivion.

I was awoken by up a smiling and fresh faced Paul at 6:55. “Come on Young Hare, the Kommandant wants us all up in the air by 8!”

Silently, I washed, dressed, grabbed some cold meats and coffee. Walking to my waiting and warmed up Albatros, I nodded at Hans and took my place in the line. I’d been asked many times if my leave had been good. I nodded without giving comment to all enquires and thankfully, I was left mostly alone to my own thoughts.

The Jasta had just taken off from Halluin when we were surprised again by a formation of Sopwith Triplanes. We each entered individual dogfights. After five minutes of dodging, flying and fleeing in which I took some damage I engaged a Tripehound over our airfield at Halluin at a height of approx 500 meters. I chased him off towards the lines, but my Albatros was unable to catch him, I think due in part to my damage.
[Linked Image]
I could not see any of my Jasta-mates around and assumed they were continuing their patrol or had landed. I flew toward our base at Halluin, hoping to see some signs of life. Flying towards the airfield I spotted a Tripe flying low. It was the Sopwith Triplane that evaded me last week. ‘MAUD’. I was not going to let him escape today. I gave chase and entered a rather half hearted (on his part) dogfight I fired 300 rounds into the Sopwith Triplane's fuselage, wings and cockpit. All at short range. Its starboard wings were destroyed mid air and it span out of control in to a field 500 meters North of the Halluin airfield. It was completely destroyed. Although my flight were not nearby the flak gunners from Halluin would have seen the whole fight. It should also have been witnessed by the ground crew at Halluin airfield.

There were still other Tripes around and I engaged two more single handedly. I damaged at least one of them but was unable to keep up with either of them as they retreated west due to my damaged plane and I was unwilling to chase them too far over the lines. I landed at Halluin hoping to find my Jasta safe and sound. Sadly, both Kettes had all been shot down by the Tripes. Six Albatros destroyed!
Even the Kommandant had come a nasty cropper crashing our side of the lines. Worse, we lost two pilots today, both promising lads, Helmut and Heinrich. Our worse single day losses as a Jasta. having only lost two others since the Jasta was founded at the end of last year. The Kommandant wears today's loses like a lead overcoat. My heart grieves today for all who are lost in this war.

[Linked Image]

All the ground crew saw my Dogfight over Halluin with MAUD and it has been confirmed. The Triplane was believed to have been flown by the RFC's Charles Dawson Booker.

To Be continued ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 03/09/20 06:30 PM.
#4510207 - 03/09/20 08:27 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Seb, that’s a proper ass whipping! Sorry for your mates but glad Seb is still on the north side of the dirt.

#4510210 - 03/09/20 08:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, a Pup that will be instantly recognized and feared. All those tricks will come in handy. You know everyone will want to get a piece of the American hero. Enjoy the empty skies while you can.

Seb, that, as MFair eloquently described, was an epic ass whipping. Those boys from Naval Eight are a menace. Too bad Toby was too busy taking care of a ballon. What rotten luck running into these boys all the time. I haven’t seen Jasta 18 boys even once in the air. If they keep getting jumped during takeoff then it is no wonder whatsoever. Better luck next time.

9 March, 1917 10:50
Furnes, Flanders Sector
RNAS-8
SC Tobias Chester Mulberry VC, DSC&Bar, DSO&Bar, L d’H
74 confirmed kills

Toby and his flight were tasked with bringing down the balloon north of Passchendaele. They’ve arrived over the target without any interference from the enemy, but Toby’s machine was hit by Archie before he could attack and had to leave formation. He signalled his departure, turned back and flew home alone. The rest of the boys had to handle the gasbag on their own.
Booker in ‘A’ flight hasn’t returned from the airfield raid over Halluin. He will probably show up tomorrow morning with a hangover and an incredible story about a French maid he’d met on his way back to base.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 143 of 366 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics