Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4510116 - 03/09/20 01:01 PM Gunny Motivation  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Always loved the late R. Lee Ermey's movies and History Channel programs, but I've especially enjoyed his autobiographical self-help book...

[Linked Image]

"It's about dedication, applying yourself, and doing whatever it takes to make it happen -- studying, working out, and even seeking help if need be." - Gunny's Rules p.24.

And because I like the man's non-politically-correct just-do-it attitude, I'm following his advice including time scheduling...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And there's no reason you can't have some fun with it. smile...

Gunny Ermeys Reveille Alarm Clock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgH0i-0zreo

Thanks Gunny and RIP. salute

Attached Files DSCF0005.JPGDSCF0007.JPGDSCF0009.JPG

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4510117 - 03/09/20 01:05 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
74 isn't exactly "young" but I was surprised that he died at that age since he seemed to be in excellent physical shape. I guess I was in awe of the man so I fell into the trap of thinking that he would live forever!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/09/20 01:08 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4510168 - 03/09/20 05:36 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

If he'd been my DI I'd have been terrified. watching him in FMJ many years after basic training I had to laugh. Not because what he did was unrealistic, but because it was SO realistic.

Fun fact: the earliest released movie in which he appeared (and his first credited role) was not 1987's "Full Metal Jacket". It was "The Boys in Company C" in 1978. I can still see him doing commentary for the soccer game, responding to the civilian's question with "Well, what they're doing is your basic 'check your package'." And he had a VERY brief (uncredited) role as one of Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore's chopper pilots in "Apocalypse Now".

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4510175 - 03/09/20 05:53 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
74 isn't exactly "young" but I was surprised that he died at that age since he seemed to be in excellent physical shape. I guess I was in awe of the man so I fell into the trap of thinking that he would live forever!

Surprised me too. My father is 81 and in such good shape that he still gets checkups that aren't always suggested for men his age.

++++++++++

If I could snap my fingers and magically have my house repainted and decorated to look like drabby barracks for 10 weeks, I would. I enjoy proper atmosphere, right down to my morning workout clothes...

[Linked Image]

There's a couple of different sizes in there to match my once-again shrinking waistline. smile

++++++++++

9 weeks to go and I'm thriving on this plan so far, especially the early morning (for me) routine. No concerts/events until May 29th (and then lots back-to-back) so cancelling Friday date night for a few weeks isn't a problem (wife gets it, even joining me for both exercise sessions). After 10 weeks I'll reschedule Friday 6PM to Sunday 6PM to include more free time, then back to a stricter weekday routine.

I wish I would have done something like this earlier when I first had the opportunity, then I wouldn't have fallen so far behind on my study schedule. The key to self-discipline for me is to keep an inner DI Gunny voice that hounds me when I'm slacking or being stupid, versus relying on my wife to do it. smile

EDIT: Pic of wife's camo/greens added...

Attached Files DSCF0016.JPGDSCF0022.JPG
Last edited by MarkG; 03/10/20 11:44 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4510176 - 03/09/20 05:59 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: vonBaur]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by vonBaur
If he'd been my DI I'd have been terrified. watching him in FMJ many years after basic training I had to laugh. Not because what he did was unrealistic, but because it was SO realistic.

Fun fact: the earliest released movie in which he appeared (and his first credited role) was not 1987's "Full Metal Jacket". It was "The Boys in Company C" in 1978. I can still see him doing commentary for the soccer game, responding to the civilian's question with "Well, what they're doing is your basic 'check your package'." And he had a VERY brief (uncredited) role as one of Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore's chopper pilots in "Apocalypse Now".

The Gunny mentions all of these movie experiences in his book, a very good (if a bit short) read.

The sun is in the east
#4510177 - 03/09/20 06:08 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

PT after dinner?

[Linked Image]
#4510233 - 03/09/20 11:51 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
PT after dinner?

Unfortunate timing issue, wife sometimes getting home after 6:30PM (like right now). Now with Daylight Savings Time, we'll want to be outside on the track in the evenings (vs. treadmill) at least 3X a week. So a very quick light dinner (that I have ready) and we're off. Just not quite yet, it's still getting dark too early and the evenings have been dreary.

The sun is in the east
#4510240 - 03/10/20 12:28 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Grandma always told us not to exercise or play for a couple of hours after eating.

[Linked Image]
#4510255 - 03/10/20 01:57 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Grandma always told us not to exercise or play for a couple of hours after eating.

According to this, doing morning exercises before eating breakfast is backwards as well... smile
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/eat-early-morning-workouts-8653.html

But for the record, dinner is usually something very light and quick, like sliced mango/kiwi/strawberries with blueberries and pumpkin seed + flax granola over Greek Yogurt (and also Cottage Cheese for me). Or a grilled chicken salad with avocado slices and artichoke hearts, easy stuff like that. And it's always a much smaller portion size than lunch.

Before bed we enjoy a square of Lindt 70% Cocoa (the darkest we enjoy) with a cup of coffee (using small 1950ish coffee cups).

That's the breaks for scheduling a pseudo 'Basic Training' around everyday life. smile Tell you what, 'free time' (like right now) goes by waaay too fast. frown I've got some Archers on the DVR that I may never get to (probably already seen them anyway).

The sun is in the east
#4510256 - 03/10/20 02:03 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Remember Band of Brothers PT after spaghetti? I am thinking of that also. Some foods do not react well to exercise.

[Linked Image]
#4510258 - 03/10/20 02:17 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Remember Band of Brothers PT after spaghetti? I am thinking of that also. Some foods do not react well to exercise.

Lol. I might could pull this off by choosing wiser exercises like only walking vs. doing any running (just received 5 lb [2.27 kg] each ankle weights) or just weightlifting might be ok since I don't do HIIT nor lift anything to failure.

I did check out a few webpages of real military PT and...well, regardless of Service, I'll never be anywhere close to the real deal. smile I used to fantasize about going to one of those civilian survivalist boot camps just for a taste of what military boot camp might be like (if it's at all comparable) but not now, being over 50. I could have always used the forced discipline and training.

The sun is in the east
#4510323 - 03/10/20 05:58 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Tomorrow will be a week, long enough for me to make some initial observations...

1. Best thing I could have done! I'm doing the things I need to do as quickly as possible, especially if there's an allowance of free time within a time slot (like right now, posting after lunch but before 1PM).

2. Going to bed at 9:30PM (my bedtime as an adolescent, IIRC) isn't so difficult after a few days of getting up at 5:30AM (and with purpose) as it's all relative.

3. I expected some flak with shaving off my goatee after ~15 years, especially since we have a long-time agreement of, 'You wear your hair the way I like and I'll shave my face the way you like.' My response to her shocked expression of my clean shaved face was, "It's only for 10 weeks so suck it up, buttercup. I can look as scrappy as Charlie Daniels when we see him in June. Besides, I owe you for that Ferris Bueller haircut you came home with about 20 years ago." biggrin

So now I look like Uncle Fester with glasses, but that's not her complaint (knowing it's temporary). Her complaint was that I bought a bunch of cheap camo/green stuff from a Clearance rack (likely related to the hunting seasons around here) without buying her anything, not that I thought she'd be interested. So after library study today I went back and bought her some little camo/green outfits with the belt and cap. rolleyes

#%&*$#, I'm already out of time!

The sun is in the east
#4510382 - 03/10/20 11:39 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
4. Putting your self-disciplined time schedule on your kitchen refrigerator is a good idea, where everyone can see it. Besides my wife, I'm sure my parents have noticed it when we need them to walk over and take care of the animals. This way you hold yourself even more accountable as you don't want to feel like a doofus if the ones around you notice that you can't follow your own schedule. Plus your mom now knows what time to invite you to weekend dinner and also knows why you won't be staying for very long. smile

If you have an inner Gunny who gets easily pissed then you don't need others in your business, but it's still nice to let everyone know that you're staying busy and not to bug you unless they need to.

The sun is in the east
#4513489 - 03/30/20 12:47 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The Gunny has finally come out of 5-day quarantine, a 24" x 36" (61cm x 91cm) fabric poster that took a month to ship from China...

[Linked Image]

Going to stretch it around a wood frame and hang it at the top of one of the windows, letting the sun shine through it. That scary mug should help me get back on schedule as much as possible.

Meanwhile, wife is cluttering up the cave with work stuff, but it's nice to have her home (when she's not talking in that headphone mic thingy)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DSCF0065.JPGDSCF0088.JPGDSCF0075.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4513530 - 03/30/20 03:40 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Nice!

May I trouble you to share photos of the model airplanes I see in the corner?

Wow! How many computers you have? I see at least 2 towers and 1 laptop.

[Linked Image]
#4513641 - 03/31/20 01:40 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Nice!

May I trouble you to share photos of the model airplanes I see in the corner?

Sure, although these are older pics and they were then in a couple of locations...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Soon I'm going to take them down for a dusting and do a complete kitchen table airport pic. smile

Most belonged to my mom who retired as a network administrator for the FAA. The inspectors/pilots started her collection and added to it over the years. Some she kept, mostly cool wood pieces and pencil sharpeners (not so realistic looking).

Wow! How many computers you have? I see at least 2 towers and 1 laptop.

Plenty... smile

[Linked Image]

Right now I have 6 working desktops and 2 laptops, most in closet storage. I love the old Dell clamshell desktops (shipped with WinXP) and I have a stash in case my original breaks...

[Linked Image]

My favorite is the oldest which shipped with Win2000...

[Linked Image]

Only 1GHz CPU / 256MB RAM which runs EF2000 (V2.0/Super) best as I only have to throttle the CPU 50%. The reason is that the more you throttle the CPU, the more joystick button presses get skipped. This is my DID (Digital Image Design) desktop and I've been itching to pull it out for some EF2000 and TAW (been a long time).

Attached Files DSCF5024.JPGDSCF5033.JPGDSCF5026.JPGDSCF2518.JPGDSCF3536.JPGDSCF1164.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4513642 - 03/31/20 01:55 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
It's unbelievable to me that I started this thread earlier in the month before I'd even heard of a virus, or at least paid any attention to it. Already seems like a long time ago.

The sun is in the east
#4520695 - 05/13/20 01:23 AM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I had started this good thing about two months ago and then all hell broke loose with the virus, plus other issues! frown

My Samsung refrigerator/freezer (shown on first post) has bit the dust (diagnosed as probable freon leak at compressor, widely known problem with Samsung...never again). Fortunately we use my late mother-in-law's fridge/freezer in the barn for extra storage, as well as my old workshop half-size fridge/freezer which wasn't being used (now in our kitchen). We also have a separate freezer in the laundry room and my parent's have their own fridge/freezer in connected apartment, so we lost nothing and as time goes on we're gaining more space.

Since my wife now works from home, we're going to follow a slightly reworked version of this schedule together (really just eliminating commutes). We've been warming up to it for about a week now, mainly adjusting our sleep and wake times. As of tonight we get serious with it.

I also reworked my self-learning schedule to be included (I'm further along), now more consolidated to get to my game project sooner...
70 weeks of intense self-learning

Although that's the old schedule as well, I'll update it later.

It's freaking killing me to see what other single-person flight sim devs are pulling off these days (retro to modern). No more excuses, time to get back to it.

The sun is in the east
#4527729 - 06/27/20 10:12 PM Re: Gunny Motivation [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Alright, I think we've settled on a schedule that we can live with (since wife is working from home, this has become a full couples endeavor)...

[Linked Image]

About to begin the second half of 2020 and I want to have the greatest six-month self-improvement accomplishments of my life! Annual physicals scheduled end of September (we'll see), will post results and pics on Diet and Training thread. Will also update self-learning thread as I'm moving right along now.

Attached Files DSCF5045.JPG

The sun is in the east

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.