Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
#4509016 - 03/01/20 04:02 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

VonS, ripping stories Sir! You really should join us in the DID Campaign.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4509072 - 03/01/20 10:43 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: MFair]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by MFair
VonS, ripping stories Sir! You really should join us in the DID Campaign.

Only saw this post now...thank you for the kind words MFair. I promise to send an official application to the wind and flight gods over on the DiD Thread as soon as I wrap up with the two casual campaigns I have going now - would be a shame to cut short the ongoing adventures. WOFF sure is a yarn-friendly sim - I'm having as much fun writing the reports as I am flying.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:27 AM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4509083 - 03/02/20 12:30 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

It’s a hoot! My first pilot lasted 6 months.....in a Morane for Pete’s sake. Now I am on my 7th pilot. WOFF can be a cruel mistress! Look forward to you joining Sir!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4509284 - 03/03/20 05:24 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(note: all settings as for mission no. 6, with the only addition being the ver. 1.4 patch applied over ver. 1.2 of the GPU Tuner for WOFF - did not notice any significant fps hit when 1.4 is applied directly over 1.2, might be a slight hit if applied over 1.3 since 1.3 contains more "ringdims" than 1.2 - will try out that combo. in future missions, but pleased with the current combo. of 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 - very smooth fps and flying)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Pranz1.jpgPranz2.jpgPranz3.jpgPranz4.jpgPranz5.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 04:45 AM. Reason: Updated post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4509292 - 03/03/20 10:51 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Another brave pilot pays the ultimate price. RIP

#4509342 - 03/03/20 07:23 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: MFair]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by MFair
Another brave pilot pays the ultimate price. RIP

Yes indeed, OBD gives real simulation in spades - still can't decide what was scarier, the wing falling off on the Eindecker, or the scramble mission for the new pilot when the 'drome was jumped by three Nieups. smile2

Might squeeze out a few more missions with the alter ego pilot - before going back to the RFC adventures. (Note to self, use RJW's pilot backup utility in the future to avoid death by lucky flak. yep )

Von S

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:29 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4509350 - 03/03/20 07:57 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

VonS, it may be lucky but it did happen as I am sure you know. In all of my years of flying WOFF I think I have had one or two deaths. One in particular, flying one second, gone the next. At least I think it was flak. As you say, simulation in spades.

#4509479 - 03/04/20 06:09 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Flak, being hit midair by an artillery shell, ones own ammunition cooking off in front of you, road accidents, Spanish flu. There were all kinds of ways of meeting ones end
Cheers,
shredward

We will remember them.
#4509489 - 03/04/20 07:04 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Quite right, including aircraft tripping up on a pothole on landing killed some too.. lots of weird ways to die wink
There was one story - I can't remember all the details but someone was killed looking down the wrong end of his Vickers as the prop was turned to find a round popped out the front of the gun and killed him.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4509493 - 03/04/20 07:11 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thank you for the comments and feedback gents'. Yes indeed, all sorts of random risks.

@Pol, I think that story is located somewhere late in Cecil Lewis' Sagittarius Rising...can't remember the exact details now, late in the war, with the fellow who rolled over his Camel on landing, then checked the Vickers from the wrong end while his riggers and fitters were fiddling with the cockpit, and one of the Vickers went off.

All of this random weirdness is wonderfully modelled in WOFF. Well done OBD.

(Latest mission now flown...willl post details soon.) smile

Von S

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:31 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4509500 - 03/04/20 08:17 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

That's the one VonS. He also talked about one poor sod who did aerobatics over the airfield until his wings broke off..

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4509527 - 03/04/20 11:26 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: Polovski]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Polovski
That's the one VonS. He also talked about one poor sod who did aerobatics over the airfield until his wings broke off..

Yes, that was the "ham-fisted new fellow" who did a couple of dives in the Se5 and tore the wings off, crashed and exploded, after behaving himself well during formation flying. Take note fellow WOFFers - it's possible to pull the wings off of the Scout Experimental too. smile The problem isn't so much the speed of the dive, but the lack of a smooth exit from dives.

Other good reads for those looking over the casual campaigns thread....Open Cockpit by Arthur Gould Lee (I'm currently reading that one). Also fondly remembered is Eastern Nights and Flights by Alan Bott (for those who like the exotic theaters such as the middle eastern front in WWI).

Von S

#4509553 - 03/05/20 05:02 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

(note: GPU Tuner Patch 1.4/1.2/1.1.1 combo. in place; also BB's optional clouds ver 2.9.2 being used and they work fine in the platinum ed. of WOFF, have spotted no problems so far; as well used is JJJ's Multimod ver. 2.1)

[Narrative removed - see relevant update in the very first post of this "casual campaigns" thread for more info.]

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpgpic7.jpgpic8.jpgpic9.jpgpic10.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 09:58 PM. Reason: Updated post.

#4509690 - 03/06/20 09:23 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
SebToombs Offline
SebToombs  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by VonS
Originally Posted by Polovski

Yes, that was the "ham-fisted new fellow" who did a couple of dives in the Se5 and tore the wings off, crashed and exploded, after behaving himself well during formation flying. Take note fellow WOFFers - it's possible to pull the wings off of the Scout Experimental too. smile The problem isn't so much the speed of the dive, but the lack of a smooth exit from dives.

Other good reads for those looking over the casual campaigns thread....Open Cockpit by Arthur Gould Lee (I'm currently reading that one). Also fondly remembered is Eastern Nights and Flights by Alan Bott (for those who like the exotic theaters such as the middle eastern front in WWI).

Von S

And there’s this from the most excellent website that gives a day to day report from the air war ...

https://airwar19141918.wordpress.com/2017/03/07/2-march-1917-loop-of-death/

[Linked Image]

Absolutely brilliant story telling and writing VonS! I love how you write and the Pictures are superb! Keep going...

Last edited by SebToombs; 03/06/20 09:36 AM.
#4509803 - 03/06/20 10:05 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Thank you for that excellent link Seb, a great find! - have bookmarked it now.

Glad you're enjoying the reports in the casual campaigns thread - will find some time to fly new missions soon, then perhaps four or five missions for the RFC, for variety.

Von S smile

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:33 AM. Reason: Edited post.

#4509845 - 03/07/20 06:15 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:33 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4509854 - 03/07/20 08:18 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpgpic5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:34 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4509855 - 03/07/20 08:32 AM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Von S smile

[Linked Image]

Attached Files pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpg
Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:34 AM. Reason: Updated post.

#4510004 - 03/08/20 12:07 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: VonS]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

More wonderful write-ups and stories VonS, most enjoyable. And some stellar screenshots as well. Also, that farmhouse in the picture above, I swear I've force landed next to it myself on more than one occasion. smile2

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4510045 - 03/08/20 09:16 PM Re: VonS "Casual Campaigns" WOFF Thread [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
More wonderful write-ups and stories VonS, most enjoyable. And some stellar screenshots as well. Also, that farmhouse in the picture above, I swear I've force landed next to it myself on more than one occasion. smile2

Much appreciated Lou - I'm glad everyone's enjoying the reports. WOFF is excellent for immersion.

Yes, that farmhouse is not too far from Passchendaele and close to one of the main roads. A convenient place to land in case of engine trouble - also easy to locate because of the Drachen balloon that's there.

Von S

Last edited by VonS; 06/02/22 12:36 AM. Reason: Edited post.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM